Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

21 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

BIG can only mean Devon Campbell, right?  I mean, they call OL "The BIG Uglies" for a reason, right? 

Harris actually meant B1G week ahead. We're backing off the SEC commitment to join the Big 10 instead. CDC will have a respect my decision post up soon.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Mike at Night: More on Jaray Bledsoe and the Texas class

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: More on Jaray Bledsoe and the Texas class

Mike Roach

— There's been a lot of discussion following the commitment of Jaray Bledsoe about his background and life off the field. While this is talked about at times, from the perspective of others, it is important to look into any of those reports to see what sticks.

— I said in the past that Bledsoe was trying to make up his grades, and he will have to continue to work to make sure he's eligible at the next level. That's the majority of what we've heard with Bledsoe and we hear that it's completely salvageable if he continues to work hard. This is one reason why Texas continued to push feeling that he could overcome any academic issues.

— I asked a few people if there was anything to reports about character concerns. What my info amounted to is a common tale for a lot of recruits. I wasn't told of anything serious with Bledsoe, but there is a feeling that he has some bad influences around him. That's not uncommon when it comes to kids from rough backgrounds. Every college in the country takes multiple guys like that in every class, and the challenge is keeping them away from those influences. It's obviously a risk this staff is willing to take, but I don't sense any worry that it's a major issue.

— I've seen some comments regarding the other schools recruiting him. While it's true that Texas was the school pushing the hardest at the time of his commitment, I don't believe it takes away from the player. I understand that this is the way for opposing schools to lash out at their rivals. To me, you have to trust your evaluation as a staff. For instance, Texas never seemed to pursue Arlington Martin defensive lineman Earnest Brown that hard under the new staff. That shouldn't take away from how Stanford feels about getting a player of his ability. This is a player that Bo Davis targeted almost immediately after landing in Austin, and it's likely the staff has examined every angle of it.

— When you just look at the film, it's easy to see why Bo Davis wanted to hang in this fight. Bledsoe has a lightning-quick first step, violent hands and advanced athleticism. He reminds me quite a bit of Albert Regis who signed with Texas A&M last year, though I feel he's a bit more twitchy. This is a gamble you can take with the type of class they already have committed considering the questions. The bottom line is, Bledsoe is a talent you roll the dice on.

— Overall, this class is right on schedule as the Longhorns have the nuts and bolts of this group together. Last year's group seemed to be wandering aimlessly at times as they stabbed randomly for contingencies. This staff has been able to pivot quickly when they've needed to, and they are building a bit of momentum on the recruiting trail. If they can show success on the field this year, they've got the chance to finish strong.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting