Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

36 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If we can add Lander Barton and Damon Youngblood (who is wildly underrated), we'll have to fire up the white guy hype train. 

Agree about Youngblood. Talked to a coaching friend and his co worker about him and they’re shocked he’s only committed to Louisiana and is so low rated.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are people lining up for autographs of 17 year old mullets who haven’t played any games yet? 
I think it will be more along the lines of sending him boxes of merch to sign hoping it will someday be worth something...or a writeoff. Either or..

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

They've been rubbing their nuts over us as they take players out of our backyard for years.

So why are you being internet smug about hand wringing? Look at the last decade and look at who they have taken from Texas. Here's a hint for you- it's really really bad for our program. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Agree about Youngblood. Talked to a coaching friend and his co worker about him and they’re shocked he’s only committed to Louisiana and is so low rated.

He isn't very big. He did run a 10.9 which is pretty freaking good. But, obviously some of the thinking is that he would be a rarity at corner and is small as a safety. Maybe, he will move up in the ranking since transferring from Melissa.

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

So why are you being internet smug about hand wringing? Look at the last decade and look at who they have taken from Texas. Here's a hint for you- it's really really bad for our program. 

Because I think people losing their shit over NIL for someone like Quinn Ewers are being ridiculous.

That deal wouldn't have been unique to Ohio St. 

If Texas wins then it will stand a chance recruiting against Ohio St.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Because I think people losing their shit over NIL for someone like Quinn Ewers are being ridiculous.

That deal wouldn't have been unique to Ohio St. 

If Texas wins then it will stand a chance recruiting against Ohio St.

This. This was done by a national agency, Arch Manning will get a bigger deal than this next year regardless of where he goes. If a kid gets to sign now or sign in 5 months when he enrolls, if you can get that deal lined up then there really is not a ton of difference. A blonde highlighted mohawked dude from SLC is hardly in a financial hardship to need that money immediately. If the number 1 player in the country and a generational talent at QB is from McMullen, Alabama or somewhere in South Florida, then the conversation becomes much different. 

5 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If we can add Lander Barton and Damon Youngblood (who is wildly underrated), we'll have to fire up the white guy hype train. 

Even though Youngblood is originally a Dutch name (https://www.houseofnames.com/youngblood-family-crest), hearing it reminds me of Larenz Tate's character, Anthony Curtis, in Dead Presidents (i.e. that's what the pimp banging his baby mama would call him). That movie was so depressing.

If Youngblood commits, I suggest this track to hype him up. Nothing wrong with letting a white guy getting crunk.

The remix to this song with Ludacris and Bone Crusher is also worth a listen for rap enthusiasts.

14 hours ago, tokamak said:

Absolutely gonna happen. Would like to see the actual structure of these deals. Is the $1.4mm guaranteed? Contingent on starting X number of games? That's a lot of money to turn any 17-year-old loose with...

13 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Are people lining up for autographs of 17 year old mullets who haven’t played any games yet? 

13 hours ago, Getafix said:

No, but what does that have to do with 17 year old mullets who haven't played any games yet, being paid $1.4MM for autographs?

So since Quinn Ewers has been 18 years-old since the Ides of March, 2021...

Who in the fuck is this "17 year-old" who is getting a ton of money that various people are talking about?

200.gif

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If Stroud plays well which a lot of Ohio State insiders are suggesting, this guy is going to sit on the bench for two more years. I guess he is fine with that considering he should could have been in high school now anyway. 

FIFY

He should be a freshman in college this year. He turned 18 in March. If his parents hadn't redshirted him for sports, we wouldn't be discussing his reclassification back to the grade that he should be in.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of the issues with the NIL hoopla is that it’s currently very PR driven in terms of forum perspective. There are players on the UT end getting into the 6 figures and not hyping it. There’s a decent chance that Robinson and Card both make $500k or more this season. The big time players are all going to get paid. This Ewers bit is a PR stunt as much as anything and, yeah, if he’s not a starter and bails, it will be hilarious. 

Everyone’s concerns should remain around building something to last and the guys who aren’t the Heisman candidates or starting QBs. 

One funny story on NIL I heard from a good friend is in regards to Bryce Young. My friend has been inside Saban’s inner circle for over a decade. I asked “Saban goes to the THSCA convention and talks all of this shit about Young already bringing in close to $1million. Next day, he downplays the whole thing and won’t speak on it at SEC Media Day. What happened?”

The response: “Bryce Young’s dad went apeshit on him. Called him and tore him a new asshole and told him never to use his kid as a prop again. He basically said that his son could start at QB anywhere and he’d be happy to prove it with more of that bullshit.” Saban has mostly shut the fuck up since. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/burnt-ends-nil-program/

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

If Stroud plays well which a lot of Ohio State insiders are suggesting, this guy is going to sit on the bench for two more years. I guess he is fine with that considering he should have been in high school now anyway. 

Ewers is already looking for where he'll transfer if he doesn't start at Ohio State. He'll sit, max, one year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Between NIL and the portal, we basically have free agency.

If a kid goes to a school because they offer him $1M, what is to stop every other school from upping the offer?

"We'll get you $2M if you portal here and start next year after our senior qb graduates instead of sitting behind that guy that's only a sophomore".

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting