Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Not sarcastic at all. The tone has shifted mightily recently, especially around players like Banks, Bear, Brenen, Stewart. And those four seemed to be the kind of guys that we were leading for, until all of a sudden at the end of the summer there were some out-of-nowhere miraculous changes of heart, and they were all of a sudden looking at Oregon, A&M, Georgia, etc. Now, all four seem to simultaneously be back on the table as possible UT commits.
As for your second part - Yes, of course Arch wants weapons. But it's silly to think that we weren't really trying our hardest to get top level talent before, but now that Arch says he wants weapons around him, we are now going to try harder and be better at recruiting to get those weapons. The opposite might be true - Arch tells people he's committing to Texas and other recruits want to join him - but it doesn't seem likely that the Manning clan is going to spill his destination until it's 100% rock solid.

I haven’t read anything about Bear recently. Do we really lead for him?

6 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Admittedly, I've only been hyper into recruiting since the charlie strong era. So I truly don't know "how it works." The only insight I have into it is what's widely publicized like when a certain former player talked about money showing up in shoes at pick up basketball games. Or the SEC bagmen article that came out several years ago. It was a legitimate question honestly, not just specific to banks. When a recruit is paid to commit, and decides to flip, does the recruit have to pay back the original school or does a school make an offer big enough that its considered insurmountable by another school so theres little to no risk of the flip? These questions aren't specifically to you, though anything you care to share is obviously welcome. I'm simply responding to this since you're right, it is very much shrouded in mystery still. 

First off it’s not the schools giving out the money, it’s boosters.  NIL is still so new it’s hard to know exactly how this will go.   

And as far as the bag game goes it’s usually a mega donor who wants to win now (knight, or a t boone) or there’s a well organized group (UGA, Clemson) who have their shit together.   It’s never something like a bunch of bums pitching in $100 to the pot to buy someone because there’s too many loudmouths who will get others busted who actually have something to lose. 

Currently UT is disorganized and can’t even get the newly legal NIL shit in order much less a well organized bag game.  And by UT, again I don’t mean the school.   There’s plenty of money available for whatever but less appetite for risk on the bag front and a complete lack of direction from Belmont on NIL. 

As far as what happens if highly paid recruit leaves?  With the bag game just as aggy what happens when you give out gold trans ams. I’m not sure anyone knows about NIL money other than the attorneys writing the contracts.   Hell, half of surly appears to be lawyers, ask them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

First off it’s not the schools giving out the money, it’s boosters.  NIL is still so new it’s hard to know exactly how this will go.   

And as far as the bag game goes it’s usually a mega donor who wants to win now (knight, or a t boone) or there’s a well organized group (UGA, Clemson) who have their shit together.   It’s never something like a bunch of bums pitching in $100 to the pot to buy someone because there’s too many loudmouths who will get others busted who actually have something to lose. 

Currently UT is disorganized and can’t even get the newly legal NIL shit in order much less a well organized bag game.  And by UT, again I don’t mean the school.   There’s plenty of money available for whatever but less appetite for risk on the bag front and a complete lack of direction from Belmont on NIL. 

As far as what happens if highly paid recruit leaves?  With the bag game just as aggy what happens when you give out gold trans ams. I’m not sure anyone knows about NIL money other than the attorneys writing the contracts.   Hell, half of surly appears to be lawyers, ask them. 

Appreciate you weighing in. Some of it seems super obvious, like plausible deniability among anyone directly employed by a university (speaking broadly and not just about Texas in this case). But the more nuanced parts of it. You said there is less appetite for risk. So the people with money to spare are fine paying for whats needed for the program and are happy to do so, as long as it's not connected to them? and the biggest thing we're lacking is a way to facilitate that and reduce risk off the people handing out the money? Isn't crypto a fairly safe option for that considering wallets don't have to be tracked like that?

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I want someone to explain to me how we’re “suddenly looking good” for Thompson and Stewart but not Banks and Dewberry. I’m not counting a BS update from Roach as real news regarding Banks. Maybe we’re going to be “looking good” for these California dudes instead this weekend? Or are the people that help us “look good” actually imbeciles?

It is very simple.

Banks got paid.

Dewberry never really liked us.

Thompson and Stewart have seen Worthy become the best freshmen WR in the country.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Barbacoa said:

We will see but I really want to get back in the Bear Alexander hunt. Big game tag on that one but I think he's worth it. 

This is the post I was thinking about in relation to Bear. 

I don't know anything at all, other than what I read here, but it's not too hard to read between the lines when certain recruits start getting heavy mention. 

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If we land Banks and Campbell, do we have a shot at the #1 recruiting class or is that out of the question no matter how many 5 stars we land to fill the remaining spots?

I mean we could flip the top 20 guys in the nation but I think that’ll only have us around #3

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If we land Banks and Campbell, do we have a shot at the #1 recruiting class or is that out of the question no matter how many 5 stars we land to fill the remaining spots?

Who the hell cares, it'll sure up a lot of concerns and problems on our roster.

top 3 or not, their important from a roster stand point. F*** the rankings

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Who the hell cares, it'll sure up a lot of concerns and problems on our roster.

top 3 or not, their important from a roster stand point. F*** the rankings

Agreed. I could give two shits about class rank if we aren’t landing the guys we need from a roster health standpoint. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Appreciate you weighing in. Some of it seems super obvious, like plausible deniability among anyone directly employed by a university (speaking broadly and not just about Texas in this case). But the more nuanced parts of it. You said there is less appetite for risk. So the people with money to spare are fine paying for whats needed for the program and are happy to do so, as long as it's not connected to them? and the biggest thing we're lacking is a way to facilitate that and reduce risk off the people handing out the money? Isn't crypto a fairly safe option for that considering wallets don't have to be tracked like that?

Look, not going to explain it all, just think back on recruiting for a while, who was doing it and who was dropping money into the program and you can probably figure out the basics.  The specifics are irrelevant at this point. 

Look at aggy, they have guys like sharp and buzbee who don’t have boundaries for what they think they can get away with.  Just a couple high profile examples of the majority group (what’s the opposite of think?) that comprises their cult.  

Wealth is transitory the further you go away from the top, and the newer wealth seems less risk tolerant.   Older folks would be more apt to do things the old way while younger people are less wild, Wild West and more likely to delve into above board things like NIL.  

It might surprise you how indifferent many of our older large donors are to winning compared to the average surly member.  We still have a lot of generous alumni, but where UT could stand out is with a strong, well organized, well led NIL operation.   Get the younger people interested with a plan that shows what we can accomplish and how.

Instead we started off trying to herd a bunch of cats Into a room so we could explain why they can’t chase mice.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Devon Campbell is reportedly a late scratch for the weekend festivities

Are you saying this because a random poster on IT's prospect thread said 247 reported Campbell wouldn't make it in and then a few posts later said it was actually Banks and not Campbell?

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

For Banks, Texas coaches should put play highlights from Oregon’s game last night where they barely managed to beat Cal at home (and only because Cal stumble fucked their way out of a 4th quarter lead) and the Autzen crowd raining boos on the Ducks

Oh, the ole negative recruiting approach. That might work if our OL wasn’t a theme park exit  turnstile. Or, we could just try getting serious about the recruiting game.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Oh, the ole negative recruiting approach. That might work if our OL wasn’t a theme park turnstile. Or, we could just try getting serious about the recruiting game.

It’s all cumulative.  Never a good look when your home fans are letting you know that you suck

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting