Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

26 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

are you stupid or something?

For thinking that Sark will look to upgrade the DB staff if a unique opportunity presents itself? If the Co-DC tag is available and he actually has a real shot at landing someone like Raymond, now clear of the scandal, or Coombs if OSU is stupid enough to cut him entirely loose or he doesn't accept the demotion? I never said either situation was likely, nor do I expect Choate gets that job in the first place, but you either think that Jospeh is untouchable (making you a fucking moron) or you think Sark isn't ruthless enough to fire a guy after year one..   in which case you are still a fucking moron but also clueless. 

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It’s his alma mater where he lettered. Different deal

Highly doubt Pole Assassin is going to be on board with a relocation to Pullman. There is also the issue of his kids; I don't know the current status of that dynamic and its really none of our fucking business but when coming to Texas one of the stated reasons was being closer to them. Not going to fully dismiss it because yeah.. its his alma mater, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense for him when comparable gigs in this region are likely to come calling soon as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Highly doubt Pole Assassin is going to be on board with a relocation to Pullman. There is also the issue of his kids; I don't know the current status of that dynamic and its really none of our fucking business but when coming to Texas one of the stated reasons was being closer to them. Not going to fully dismiss it because yeah.. its his alma mater, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense for him when comparable gigs in this region are likely to come calling soon as well. 

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject. I just don't see a future as a successful head coach at Washington State. He can bide his time and get something equal or better near his current location.

9 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Would love to have the excuse to part ways amicably with Choate. Not saying we should be trying to force him out the door or anything but freeing up that Co-DC tag would go a long ways towards allowing us to bring in an elite guy for the secondary. He has been..  fine, in recruiting, but I can't think of anyone likely to bail on us if he were to depart. 

this team needs another secondary coach like i need another hole in the head.

8 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

i fully expect WSU to hire the most milquetoast option possible after their time on the Rolovich and Leach Express.

...that person is not the guy with the stripper GF who has a monkey, no matter where he played football.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

or you think Sark isn't ruthless enough to fire a guy after year one..   in which case you are still a fucking moron but also clueless. 

lol yes Sark has RUTHLESSLY closed both football games and recruitments all year long. Okay.

It's not even about that but this is a hilarious take.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Lol... Dodd is such a tool... WSU gets rid of the pirate (yeah he left but they wanted him gone) and then Rolovich and they are going to hire the guy with a stripper and monkey to settle their program.

NoName... beat me to it... I had same thoughts

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the thoughtful response but I believe that we will add two transfer tackles and let Jones compete at guard. Junior may not be here he is a day three pick right now and could only move up depending on his combine numbers. If Texas could land one interior and exterior OL I’d be happy with where we are but a year isn’t gonna magically make this current bunch much better. It’s a talent issue not a chemistry issue from what I have seen.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You can think whatever you like, but there is actual proven value attached to games started together and average age for offensive lines in CFB. Obviously Kerstetter and Imade are gone after this season, as well as Okafor I assume, so there will certainly be at least 2 new starters next season.

Does that means Majors, Jones, Angilau and Karic are absolute shit and none of them will be starting next season as well? Maybe. At the same time, adversity leads to experience and experience leads to wisdom. Within teams of any sort, shared adversity leads to trust and trust can often lead to success.

The reality is that a 3rd year starter in Jones, a 4th year starter in Angilau, and a Jones/Karic with 1.5 seasons of playing starter snaps and another offseason might be the best 3 OL combo the program can muster with whatever other 2 additions are made.

Does that mean the staff shouldn't be hustling to find better fits? No. And they will chase guys in the portal and they'll land a few and we might get lucky and find one above replacement for the incumbents, maybe even two. But if we're heading into next season with the same offensive coordinator and the same OL coach, 3 of those 4 guys as starters won't be a cause for outright disgust at where we are as a program. To present otherwise assumes you do not fundamentally believe that both the player and the program are capable of any natural growth and development along the learning curve.

If we can get better tackles and work karic at RT off season and move jones to guard we might be cooking with Angilau and Majors. 

Wish casting if true but a lineup of 

LT - Donovan Jackson

LG - George/Jones/Campbell

C Major

RG Angilau

RT - Karic/Jones

Coule be pretty good. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I honestly just read a non sarcastic post suggesting that a position coach on our team would not accept a head coaching job that would likely triple his salary at the school he played for.  Now I’ve read it all. 

The monkey refuses to get vaccinated. He already withdrew his name.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I honestly just read a non sarcastic post suggesting that a position coach on our team would not accept a head coaching job that would likely triple his salary at the school he played for.  Now I’ve read it all. 

Maybe you haven’t heard, we’re Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Is it as silly as a P5 school hiring someone who has 0 experience as a head coach or coordinator ?

• Hook 'Em 1

It would be very rare for a TE coach with no previous head coaching experience to take over at a school like Washington St. The career path for position coaches is a small school like Wilson and Traylor at UTSA and both of those guys had been high school head coaches. Banks was the interim head coach for ATM's bowl game after Sumlin got fired. That's the extent of his experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It would be very rare for a TE coach with no previous head coaching experience to take over at a school like Washington St. The career path for position coaches is a small school like Wilson and Traylor at UTSA and both of those guys had been high school head coaches. Banks was the interim head coach for ATM's bowl game after Sumlin got fired. That's the extent of his experience.

So the same experience as Dabo when he took the Clemson job. Just substitute WR for TE.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

So the same experience as Dabo when he took the Clemson job.

Dabo was an assistant at Clemson for 4 or 5 years before they made him the interim head coach half way through the season, so that's not the same situation.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, kevwun said:

Dabo was an assistant at Clemson for 4 or 5 years before they made him the head coach, so that was not the same situation.

I was merely pointing out that the experience levels were exactly as you described. Under the terms of your original premise, it fits. If you want to add that as an addendum to your original position, fine.

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

So the same experience as Dabo when he took the Clemson job.

the *VERY* clear differences in the two situations:

• Dabo had been there for 5 years as a position coach and 2 years as an AHC before taking over as interim in 08
  • had like 2 months as interim before they named him named head coach

it is extremely rare for a guy with no experience as a coordinator to get hired in the first place. add in that he hasn't been in PNW since 03. add in the stripper GF and fucking MONKEY. add in their last 2 coaches were Leach and this clown.

all that says that while they may interview him, the odds of them making him a finalist or even hiring him are extremely low.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NoName said:

the *VERY* clear differences in the two situations:

• Dabo had been there for 5 years as a position coach and 2 years as an AHC before taking over as interim in 08
  • had like 2 months as interim before they named him named head coach

it is extremely rare for a guy with no experience as a coordinator to get hired in the first place. add in that he hasn't been in PNW since 03. add in the stripper GF and fucking MONKEY. add in their last 2 coaches were Leach and this clown.

all that says that while they may interview him, the odds of them making him a finalist or even hiring him are extremely low.

Not disagreeing with any of that. I do think that describing it as "silly" to hire a head coach without prior head coaching or coordinator experience is wrong. Is it unusual? Sure, but you hire people at the end of the day. If you're hiring someone for what they've done somewhere else rather than what you think they'll do in given situation, you've already failed. Again, not saying I expect Banks to take/be offered the job, but he's known as a good recruiter. Would it really surprise anyone if he killed it in an interview? My real issue was characterizing such a scenario as silly, not the general premise that Banks isn't going to Wazzou.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Banks -> WSU

Samples -> UT TE coach / AHC

Gideon -> Safeties/ST Coordinator

I'd be cool with that scenario.

It would be a decent salvage, but Banks is probably the best ST coach in the country and a very good recruiter, so you’re still losing a very important aspect if he leaves. 

I’d much prefer to just keep Banks, then fire Coleman and hire Samples. The other thing is I don’t get the impression Samples would be the pick even if Banks leaves, so Banks leaving would likely be a huge blow to an already iffy coaching staff. Fortunately, the odds of Banks being the choice are very low. 

• Hook 'Em 9

I don't subscribe to 247 but Biggins posted a couple notes:

On LTG: I think Texas is in a good spot right now and recruiting Larry the hardest. He's planning to commit in January so it will be interesting if Texas still has spots left by that time.

On Greene: Said it's really close between us and UGA and he wouldn't put in a CB at all today if he could do it over,

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't subscribe to 247 but Biggins posted a couple notes:

On LTG: I think Texas is in a good spot right now and recruiting Larry the hardest. He's planning to commit in January so it will be interesting if Texas still has spots left by that time.

On Greene: Said it's really close between us and UGA and he wouldn't put in a CB at all today if he could do it over,

The odds of us landing Campbell and Green are really fucking low, but getting those guys would be huge. They’re probably the two most ready to play OL we’re recruiting and I could see both starting at some point next year if they come here. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It would be a decent salvage, but Banks is probably the best ST coach in the country and a very good recruiter, so you’re still losing a very important aspect if he leaves. 

I’d much prefer to just keep Banks, then fire Coleman and hire Samples. The other thing is I don’t get the impression Samples would be the pick even if Banks leaves, so Banks leaving would likely be a huge blow to an already iffy coaching staff. Fortunately, the odds of Banks being the choice are very low. 

I'm not saying I necessarily want it to happen, but I would be fine with it. Gideon was supposedly a baller ST coach too and Samples would seemingly lock down DFW.

Agree that Samples probably wouldn't even be the pick. Not sure if Sark even knows him. But he should be.

I don't think Coleman gets fired unless WR recruiting tanks. He's safe if he lands Stewart, Shazz (unlikely to happen), or maybe Kevin Coleman. If he strikes out, then maybe.

4 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response but I believe that we will add two transfer tackles and let Jones compete at guard. Junior may not be here he is a day three pick right now and could only move up depending on his combine numbers. If Texas could land one interior and exterior OL I’d be happy with where we are but a year isn’t gonna magically make this current bunch much better. It’s a talent issue not a chemistry issue from what I have seen.

You believe Texas will go land two transfer OT's so far superior to what's coming back that they will be day 1 starters based on... ? That's a huge assumption. There aren't a ton of players of that quality looking to leave their existing situations. 

I'd push back on the "a year won't make a difference" part. No, Christian Jones is probably not going to magically stop being ass as a fifth year senior, but a year can make a big difference on the OL. Jake Majors and Andrej Karic are both RS FR that were always going to need to add strength. Majors, up and down as he's been this year, is honestly in line with or even ahead of any reasonable expectations for his development. You really wouldn't expect either of them to be plus starters until next year. Junior Angilau is not leaving early for the NFL - he's a fringe NFL prospect right now and OL consistently benefit from staying in school. 

I do agree that there's a relatively low ceiling for this unit next year because I have no fucking idea what's going to happen at the OT spots. It may come down to Flood being asked to be a miracle worker with Jones and Karic.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting