Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Tex-19 said:

I mean think about it, what positions could he even be talking about? The only questionable white starters are Schooler, Brock, and Card when he plays. Does he really think some BMD gives a shit about starting a fucking converted WR Schooler at Safety or former walk-on Brock at LB? Yeah fucking right.

So literally Card the only possibility but he's not even the starter and only came back in because Casey couldn't hit the ocean from a boat against ISU.

The only thing that possibly makes sense is this "meddling" occurred post Baylor.  If that were the case, it would have had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the lack of offensive production in 3 straight blown 2nd half leads.   I'm 100% perplexed here.  Brian Jones has never come off as someone that (i) is a complete idiot (which you have to be to actually think this has legs) or (ii) someone who actively wants our program to become more of a dumpster fire.    I can't fathom why he said this shit knowing damn well the press it would get.  Seriously.  Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't believe he is lying. See below.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/01/ut-eyes-of-texas-donors-emails/

Trying to cancel the EOT was wrong. But some of these responses from BMDs is even worse. They're grown ass adults for fuck sake and they should do better.

You think ANY school in the US doesn't have dumbass donors like this?  If you do, I have a bridge to sell you in Arizona.  None of those dumbasses that wrote that shit had any real clout and anyone trying to say different is just as dumb as the idiots writing emails like that.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Trying to cancel the EOT was wrong. But some of these responses from BMDs is even worse. They're grown ass adults for fuck sake and they should do better.

Do we have a handful of racist old shitty alumni/donors?  Sure. Every school does.  Especially in the South.   Do I think any of those racist pieces of shit give a god damn about the color of skin of who is playing QB or LB or Safety vs. winning?

Edited by Skipper

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Seriously, if you're going to throw out that kind of accusation you better have proof.  Otherwise, shut the fuck up.  Why is UT media the fucking worst and constantly trying to actively hurt the program?

because these guys have nothing to sell when Texas is winning. Brian Jones has already sold out to the SEC years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised when CBS hired him they told him to talk negatively about UT as a former player as much as possible. Jones is always chasing the dollar to the determent of the program that made him.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You think ANY school in the US doesn't have dumbass donors like this?  If you do, I have a bridge to sell you in Arizona.  None of those dumbasses that wrote that shit had any real clout and anyone trying to say different is just as dumb as the idiots writing emails like that.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Do we have a handful of racist old shitty alumni/donors?  Sure. Every school does.  Especially in the South.   Do I think any of those racist pieces of shit give a god damn about the color of skin of who is playing QB or LB or Safety vs. winning?

I simply stated that I believe Brian Jones. But I think he should've kept his mouth shut unless he was willing to show his work and reveal definite proof. 

Are you guys suggesting that none of our donors are arrogant enough to meddle in the operations of the football team all the way to who plays? And unfortunately this became a racial issue thanks to EOT, so given the political climate we currently live in, I believe some (not all) racist old shitty alumni/donors are more than happy to respond back in a racist manner.

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Are you guys suggesting that none of our donors are arrogant enough to meddle in the operations of the football team all the way to who plays? 

Yes, if it was about race. It's beyond stupid. Even if they tried it would be taken as so stupid as to not warrant a reaction much less action. 

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I simply stated that I believe Brian Jones. But I think he should've kept his mouth shut unless he was willing to show his work and reveal definite proof. 

Are you guys suggesting that none of our donors are arrogant enough to meddle in the operations of the football team all the way to who plays? And unfortunately this became a racial issue thanks to EOT, so given the political climate we currently live in, I believe some (not all) racist old shitty alumni/donors are more than happy to respond back in a racist manner.

Our donors can be as arrogant as they want and try to meddle in the operations of our football team all they want.  I believe they bitch and moan to Del Conte all they want.  I believe very few have a line into Sark's offices or one of the positional coaches offices.  Would Sark or his coaches shake hands at some function some of the time?  Sure.  Would those blowhard alumni likely try to talk football with Sark or his staff sure.  Could they even try to talk up backups.  I guess. 

But I don't believe they have any input whatsoever into who plays.   I don't believe a coach anywhere in the world whether it be a position coach, a coordinator, or a head coach would allow alumni to have any input into who plays or doesn't play.  I don't believe Saban told Sark not to come to Texas because of that.  

I think it's horseshit. I think the Statesman if they were a credible news organization would reach out to B. Jones for names/receipts instead of republishing the shit.  But it's journalism today, B. Jones said _________ on this radio station.  They aren't reporting anymore the truth of whether alumni have input into who plays, they are just reporting that it was said.  

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It would not surprise me if we have donors arrogant enough to meddle in operations including who plays.  And by "meddle" I mean ask the coach "well why isn't X starting".  But I absolutely do not believe they would prefer playing a fucking white dude over winning.  That is just preposterous.  So if someone bitched about Card not getting another chance, it had everything to do with Casey's 2nd half QB play against OU, OSU and Baylor.  And zero to do with skin color.   And if someone did hypothetically say Card should be playing then watched ISU and Kansas, I bet they shut the fuck up. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Seriously, if you're going to throw out that kind of accusation you better have proof.  Otherwise, shut the fuck up.  Why is UT media the fucking worst and constantly trying to actively hurt the program?

It is used against us in recruiting. There are head coaches who tell recruits that we do not play the best players and they hint that is partially due to racism/donors. Jones isn't actually saying anything not out there. There is no actual evidence of it. But there is also negative recruiting around that and how donors are able to "sponsor" certain kids for scholarships over others. Again, zero evidence of that either. But it is out there for recruits. Most of it stems from Mack's era, so you can guess which Big XII coaches still used it. The thing is they don't need proof. But Sark's recruiting staff had done an absolutely atrocious job of countering most negative recruiting. And I mean before the losing streak. Now, it is not hard to recruit against us.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

It is used against us in recruiting. There are head coaches who tell recruits that we do not play the best players and they hint that is partially due to racism/donors. Jones isn't actually saying anything not out there. There is no actual evidence of it. But there is also negative recruiting around that and how donors are able to "sponsor" certain kids for scholarships over others. Again, zero evidence of that either. But it is out there for recruits. Most of it stems from Mack's era, so you can guess which Big XII coaches still used it. The thing is they don't need proof. But Sark's recruiting staff had done an absolutely atrocious job of countering most negative recruiting. And I mean before the losing streak. Now, it is not hard to recruit against us.

I don't doubt coaches use it in negative recruiting.  It's a dirty game and nothing is off limits no matter how ridiculous.  But why in the fuck would Brian Jones stab the University he claims to love in the back with this kind of nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The only thing that possibly makes sense is this "meddling" occurred post Baylor.  If that were the case, it would have had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the lack of offensive production in 3 straight blown 2nd half leads.   I'm 100% perplexed here.  Brian Jones has never come off as someone that (i) is a complete idiot (which you have to be to actually think this has legs) or (ii) someone who actively wants our program to become more of a dumpster fire.    I can't fathom why he said this shit knowing damn well the press it would get.  Seriously.  Fuck that guy.

Well, I'm not quite sure what he's alluding to, but you do that to take heat off Sark and place it on the faceless boosters.

49 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I mean think about it, what positions could he even be talking about? The only questionable white starters are Schooler, Brock, and Card when he plays. Does he really think some BMD gives a shit about starting a fucking converted WR Schooler at Safety or former walk-on Brock at LB? Yeah fucking right.

So literally Card the only possibility but he's not even the starter and only came back in because Casey couldn't hit the ocean from a boat against ISU.

I was thinking Brock is the only one. After watching TCU, OSU, and ISU, people wanted to see Card. It’s wasn’t, because he was white, it was because he wasn’t Casey. Hope makes you do stupid things 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Brian Jones was handed the #60 here before he had ever played a snap. He didn’t earn it on the field. Last I checked, he was black at the time, over 30 years ago. Why was he not prevented from playing because of the color of his skin? We aren’t growing racists in our fan base. What in the fuck?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Brian Jones has been stabbing us in the back since he started broadcasting. This is his 9th or 10th blast of his University. But this new group needs to see what they are up against and it was out there regardless of Jones. This recruiting staff is completely unprepared for the job.

And now those other coaches can say, “See? Don’t just take it from me, even former Texas players are saying it happens.”

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

7 things to do in Lake Havasu City - AZ Big Media

Damn, man! You own London Bridge in Lake Havasu City? Hook Surly up with a party! That place is the tits.

Edited by MuellerHorn

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

And now those other coaches can say, “See? Don’t just take it from me, even former Texas players are saying it happens.”

Based on what he has said in the past, I would doubt this story last more than a couple of days in the minds of the nation or recruits. The Surlyhorns podcast with McCulloch is an easier item to use against the team. It is player from a recent year. Still different staffs, but more recent. And there are a lot of our former players who say the same thing every year. We don't need to worry about Jones specifically. We need to worry about everything else.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Check out this rube’s posting history. It consists of talking major shit about Casey Thompson and then showing up here to sob at me for mocking the absolute shittiness of the choking dog Hudson Card. I’m assuming it’s his dad. 

Not at all. Casey “can’t throw a 5 yard out route” Thompson does suck. I’m just pointing out that your opinions and “insider info” consists of nothing but horseshit. You’re literally a 9.95er that doesn’t charge.

Edited by Horns56

Maybe a donor tried to say a white player should start.  That's a huge maybe.  If true, Sark most likely told them to fuck off, and with him being married to a black woman probably said it in those words or harsher.  

And then, 1 of 2 things happened:

1 - sark shared the convo so he could make sure he got it out there so he could sabotage his efforts or,

2 - the BMD got it out there so his money that he is donating to the university would be wasted.

Brian Jones sucks dick.

I used to like BJones and still do as a broadcaster, not sure what in the hell this is all about. It feels like he is dredging up shit from Herman’s last days here. Him and Manny Acho can go sit in the cheap seats on alumni day for all I am concerned. Both have blasted us on national platforms repeatedly, and neither have ever proved one damn thing they are accusing anyone of.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Brian Jones has been stabbing us in the back since he started broadcasting. This is his 9th or 10th blast of his University. But this new group needs to see what they are up against and it was out there regardless of Jones. This recruiting staff is completely unprepared for the job.

Brian Jones a fucking idiot douchebag who had one decent year in college for Texas. fuck him.

Tubbs and Curl were better Linebackers than this blockhead.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Devin Brown after live viewing

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Devin Brown after live viewing

Mike Roach

— I made the trip to Utah to see four-star Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon quarterback Devin Brown. I like to see as many players in person as possible and I think it’s double important with quarterbacks. Corner Canyon faced off against Lone Peak in the state finals with revenge on their mind as Lone Peak is the only team to beat Corner Canyon in the regular season. Unfortunately, Corner Canyon fell just short despite a special performance by Brown. The four-star prospect finished 22/30 for 380 yards and four touchdowns. He also added 100 yards on the ground and a score rushing as well. During the game, he broke the record for single-season passing yards in Utah, but he will likely only remember the deflected ball that was intercepted with 2 minutes remaining.

— Brown was awesome in the first half operating with surgical precision in the passing game. He didn’t have an incompletion in the first quarter and made several big throws lighting up the scoreboard early. There’s a ton to like about Brown, and it’s no wonder schools are coming on fast for the USC commit.

— When it comes to tools, there’s no question that Brown is blessed. He’s got a big frame, but it’s still somewhat wiry and can stand to add some weight. His arm strength isn’t off the charts, but it’s good enough to get the job done for anyone. He showed the ability throughout the evening to change speeds and consistently and accurately deliver the ball to his receivers. His offense doesn’t ask a ton of him from what I can see, but he operates it with incredible precision. He’s extremely comfortable in the pocket and has a great feel for the rush. In the 4th quarter, he put the team on his back and escaped two sure sacks to convert on 3rd and 4th down.

— Brown plays with a quiet confidence. He’s not the type of overly vocal leader some quarterbacks are, but he’s not the type to shrink from it either. He has no problem doing what the game asks of him instead of forcing balls into coverage. There were a couple of times when Brown would get into a rhythm and then try to put a ball into a tight space where it was almost intercepted. For the most part, he found the open man quickly and hit him.

— When I say the offense doesn’t ask a lot of him, I mean that in the context of post-snap reads. The coaches do seem to trust him to operate with a lot of autonomy pre-snap, and he showed the ability to get them into several successful plays when he found alignments he could exploit. That tells me he’s adept at reading coverages and tendencies pre-snap. Overall, I was most impressed with how decisive he was about everything. He was decisive with his checks, his decisions to run, and his pass reads. He’s advanced technically for his age, but he still has room to develop.

— As a runner, he won’t keep anyone’s defense up at night, but he was effective with his legs. He’s the type of guy who will escape the pocket vertically and pick up 4-5 yards instead of taking a loss. He also had a few designed runs inside the 10-yard line where he succeeded with some toughness and physicality. Overall, if you want to find negatives from this department, it would be extreme nitpicking. There are probably some mechanical things to shape up, but he had an incredibly impressive performance against the top competition in the state.

— As for his recruitment, there’s a growing confidence Texas can land him after his official visit to Austin. I think he sees himself as a fit in Steve Sarkisian’s offense and sees an opportunity to enroll in the spring and play immediately. In fact, a source familiar with his recruitment believes that if he does make the flip, it would be to Texas as of now. Brown will head to Columbus to see Ohio State this weekend, so that situation should be monitored. Ole Miss is also factoring in and Notre Dame is trying to get into the mix. Still, I feel that after his visit to Ohio State, the picture might get clear enough to start narrowing it down and making some predictions. I didn’t get to talk to him tonight after the loss, but I should be connecting sometime next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Everybody loves Jones 'cause he's not like Manny and then he says something like this and y'all turn on him....Anthony Curl wasn't even as good as Acho, lol. 

Why do y'all not believe that we might have some racist-ass boosters trying to call the shots? We should be doing our best to cut them out of the program instead of shooting the messenger. 

Jeffrey McCulloch said basically the same thing on this site's podcast in the pre-season....He didn't explicitly say it was racial....But it was racial. He said there were some dudes who were going to play ahead of better players because....reasons.

We are letting senile old farts run this program into the ground and blaming it on those who expose it will just keep us circling the drain forever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Everybody loves Jones 'cause he's not like Manny and then he says something like this and y'all turn on him....Anthony Curl wasn't even as good as Acho, lol. 

Why do y'all not believe that we might have some racist-ass boosters trying to call the shots? We should be doing our best to cut them out of the program instead of shooting the messenger. 

Jeffrey McCulloch said basically the same thing on this site's podcast in the pre-season....He didn't explicitly say it was racial....But it was racial. He said there were some dudes who were going to play ahead of better players because....reasons.

We are letting senile old farts run this program into the ground and blaming it on those who expose it will just keep us circling the drain forever.

If there is any truth to it, then you are absolutely right. But if you are going to go there, then you better go all the way. Turn over the emails, out those fuckers. It does noone any good otherwise and just makes things worse.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If there is any truth to it, then you are absolutely right. But if you are going to go there, then you better go all the way. Turn over the emails, out those fuckers. It does noone any good otherwise and just makes things worse.

I think it's implicit in what Jones said that he has more info. If this was Acho I'd be more leery but Jones has been a great Horn since he transferred back in. And I don't think this is breaking news behind the scenes.

16 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Jones is an idiot.  I mean dumber than a box of rocks stupid.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Jones is an idiot.  I mean dumber than a box of rocks stupid.

I think we have some booster who are just as dumb....prob through senility, 'cause they must have been able to rub a couple of brain cells together at some point, but man....I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff didn't get him to run this one out there for them. Same as the Davis video. You can't tell me they wouldn't have caught whoever filmed and leaked that. They want it out there to show they are doing their best. 

Dark times, man. My dad's given up. I don't blame him -- he got three degrees there between 1962-1970. He's not watching tomorrow or next week. In 45 years of our shared fandom he's never been there before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think it's implicit in what Jones said that he has more info. 

It should be obvious that plenty of people don't need any evidence to convince themselves about any kind of bullshit. If they want to believe it they can always rationalize how something must be true.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Even as a fellow Strake grad, Jett Bush, why he's in the program, and any other Strake player in the history of the program except for Chris Ogbonnaya, has been puzzling to me. And even Ogbonnaya was a strange take as 4.7-type running back. 

And Ogbannaya played several years in the NFL. Bush had a couple D-1 offers. You want guys like that to walk on. The issue was playing Bush as a 4T in a 3 man line. He's fine as an off the ball LB.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think we have some booster who are just as dumb....prob through senility, 'cause they must have been able to rub a couple of brain cells together at some point, but man....I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff didn't get him to run this one out there for them. Same as the Davis video. You can't tell me they wouldn't have caught whoever filmed and leaked that. They want it out there to show they are doing their best. 

Dark times, man. My dad's given up. I don't blame him -- he got three degrees there between 1962-1970. He's not watching tomorrow or next week. In 45 years of our shared fandom he's never been there before. 

When you’re in, you’re all in. You’re giving Brian Jones way more credit than I will.

He needs to put up or shut up. He’s making very strong and damaging accusations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't believe he is lying. See below.

Don’t be stupid. Any BMD with enough clout within the AD to even think they can influence Sark or CDC about who to pay or the EOT is not going to be sending a fucking email. BMD have a direct line. Email is for small fish like most of the posters on Surly (or Twitter). 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Don’t be stupid. Any BMD with enough clout within the AD to even think they can influence Sark or CDC about who to pay or the EOT is not going to be sending a fucking email. BMD have a direct line. Email is for small fish like most of the posters on Surly (or Twitter). 

Maybe you're the stupid one. You clearly didn't read the Texas Tribune article as there were some big donors explicitly mentioned that sent emails and/or conveyed their sentiments in ways that became public (I have linked it again below so maybe you can educate yourself before throwing barbs). My point is that this type of sentiment exists within BMDs and the way they choose to air their grievances or demands is largely irrelevant. Anyone with money (or even thinks they have money) can be arrogant and entitled. 

It's completely feasible that certain donors place all the blame for the EOT debacle on African-American players. This type of scenario could theoretically have played out earlier this season when Texas was blowing second half leads with Casey behind center and certain individuals wanted Hudson instead. I highly doubt that Sarkisian and the rest of the coaching staff caved to such demands if such demands ever reached them. 

I have also previously stated that Brian Jones really needs to show his work if he's going to go down this road.

Edited by UDontKnow

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe you're the stupid one. You clearly didn't read the Texas Tribune article as there were some big donors explicitly mentioned that sent emails and/or conveyed their sentiments in ways that became public (I have linked it again below so maybe you can educate yourself before throwing barbs). My point is that this type of sentiment exists within BMDs and the way they choose to air their grievances or demands is largely irrelevant. Anyone with money (or even thinks they have money) can be arrogant and entitled. 

It's completely feasible that certain donors place all the blame for the EOT debacle on African-American players. This type of scenario could theoretically have played out earlier this season when Texas was blowing second half leads with Casey behind center and certain individuals wanted Hudson instead. I highly doubt that Sarkisian and the rest of the coaching staff caved to such demands if such demands ever reached them. 

I have also previously stated that Brian Jones really needs to show his work if he's going to go down this road.

I blame the EOT debacle on ill-informed, impressionable players and adults who knew better. The whole situation was asinine. I don’t believe that has anything to do with who does or doesn’t play. And honestly, only someone with Red McCombs or Tom Hicks type money would ever seriously think their suggestion of who should play would be heated. This reeks of bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting