Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

59 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Not disagreeing with the general premise, but Jameson Williams is laughing right now. There are certainly good players out there.

There are always exceptions but I was speaking in general terms. It's much harder to find quality WRs in the portal than linemen for example.

28 minutes ago, maninblack said:

LOL what? So then they have to fork it back over for tuition, books, housing, etc. 

Great idea

I’m suggesting that most schools aren’t offering these positions scholarships out of high school. Go take a gander at the last couple of years of good to great recruiting classes from all different programs.

In the future I see us taking those kids without scholarships and throwing them cash as an incentive until they earn a spot.  There is zero fucking reason to be giving a long snapper a full scholarship as a freshman.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Very disappointed in Harris. He knew months ago that it was a school full of weirdos and goobers but he got pulled into it somehow just because they bought a bunch of other players over the past several years. 

He got pulled in because of bags. 

They don’t even have a defensive coordinator. No 5 star caliber recruit is committing to a school with no coordinator unless he’s getting a massive paycheck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He got pulled in because of bags. 

They don’t even have a defensive coordinator. No 5 star caliber recruit is committing to a school with no coordinator unless he’s getting a massive paycheck. 

Unless he's dumb and just doesn't understand what's going on, I think the whole bags argument is losing steam. The NIL opportunities at Texas trump bags now, and its legit. He just may be a natural goober.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Unless he's dumb and just doesn't understand what's going on, I think the whole bags argument is losing steam. The NIL opportunities at Texas trump bags now, and its legit. He just may be a natural goober.

It’s legit for offensive lineman which is why Texas is now trending in the right direction. 

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Perroni's note on Harris ... 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.36e95f5e03215a619e6520447451e536.png

The way I read it with my "burnt orange googles" is that Harris ........ oh damn it even the goggles are not helping! This is nothing but a positive for aggy unless Perroni is lying for the clicks to try to damping some of the good news we are about to get.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Both Harris and Stewart were going to visit this weekend but Aggy got nervous and was able to comfort them with Jimbo's promise to trust him

If they're smart, they'll wait until NS2 to sign.  They'll easily get a much bigger payday by making their BMD's worry about them. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

That’s the goal long term, but it obviously hasn’t happened yet. 

Maybe you know more about the kid, but it doesn't always have to be "bags." Some dumbshits may just want to go to that dumbshit school with a bunch of other dumbshits. We all knew them in high school and they all secretly regret it. Nothing you can do but laugh at them now.

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Maybe you know more about the kid, but it doesn't always have to be "bags." Some dumbshits may just want to go to that dumbshit school with a bunch of other dumbshits. We all knew them in high school and they all secretly regret it. Nothing you can do but laugh at them now.

Harris was openly mocking aggy. He had no desire to play there until something out of the blue changed his mind similar to Stewart. Now aggy doesn't even have a defensive coordinator. 

This isn’t difficult to figure out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Four-star RB Terrance Gibbs high on Texas

Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

Four-star RB Terrance Gibbs high on Texas

Steve Wiltfong

Winter Park (Fla.) High four-star running back Terrance Gibbs took an official visit to Texas this weekend per Chris Hoats, the recruiting coordinator at the high school.

A former Florida commit who reopened the process at the end of November, Gibbs has been building a strong relationship with Longhorns running backs coach Stan Drayton who came in last week for an in-home visit.

“They had a lot of interest and tried to beat that buzzer and get the last visit,” Gibbs said. “Sounds like everything is going great.”

Hoats talked with Gibbs and his mother at the beginning of the trip to Austin and he knows the blue-chipper likes Drayton.

“I know they’ve talked a bunch on the phone and Coach Drayton came in and they connected pretty quick,” Hoats said. “Coach Drayton’s history, he’s won National Championships on prior staffs and he has a good culture and he talked about how good their running back group is and obviously they have one of the best backs in the country and the development for the next level and the relationship with the position coach is something he really enjoyed.”

The 6-foot, 190-pound Gibbs was one of the first running backs to emerge nationally in the 2022 class.

“Oh my gosh Terrance could probably play of the 22 positions on the field, play 19 of them,” Hoats said. “He can play everything from weak-side defensive end to running back to receiver, he can play anything other than having his hand in the dirt on the offensive and defensive line. His skill set is so broad, his hands are so good, he’s such a good blocker. He could be the guy at quarterback and he could kick it if you ask him too. His range of skills is nothing like I’ve ever seen.

“Someone is going to get a fantastic football player.”

Texas is the school trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. The Longhorns currently have the 247Sports Composite’s No. 7 recruiting class.

Other schools in the mix include Ole Miss, South Carolina, Kentucky and Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Harris’ situation is obvious. He went from shitting all over aggy and telling them he would never consider them to now having them as the clear front runner. Even after he saw how they did Shadrach Banks. 

The people on this site that argue it’s “not always about bags” when it clearly is continue to be the most tiresome posters here. 

Harris was bought and that’s even more obvious than Stewart. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Re Harris- so is the take away that our NIL deal / bag just isn’t the size of the aggy bag?  I assume each player is ranked with a dollar amount on what money should be allocated based on need or skill level. Is it safe to say Texas does not have the kind of priority on Harris that aggy does?

Our NIL stuff has been announced, but I don’t believe it is fully operational today.  I don’t think we are distributing money yet.

4 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Re Harris- so is the take away that our NIL deal / bag just isn’t the size of the aggy bag?  I assume each player is ranked with a dollar amount on what money should be allocated based on need or skill level. Is it safe to say Texas does not have the kind of priority on Harris that aggy does?

We have announced a plan, we don’t have proof of concept yet. Next year- after there’s a bunch of players getting paid and saying “this is how it works- this is how much money I got” it won’t be speculative it will be established. 
we were just a little late/these guys were 1, maybe 2 classes too early. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

We just set something for the OL.  Harris made some comments last summer to at we’re indicative that he was wanting to see what Texas would do with NiL.  While our star players are getting good money and now we have something in place for OL and TEs, we don’t have anything concrete for DBs or the other positions groups as far as guarantees go.  Aggy has money for him right now.  He went from shitting on them to giving them a silent about a month ago.  Same with Stewart.  We need to set something up for all players to neutralize the bag game for other positions like we did for OL.  It will happen in the future but it’s not helping this cycle.  

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We just set something for the OL.  Harris made some comments last summer to at we’re indicative that he was wanting to see what Texas would do with NiL.  While our star players are getting good money and now we have something in place for OL and TEs, we don’t have anything concrete for DBs or the other positions groups as far as guarantees go.  Aggy has money for him right now.  He went from shitting on them to giving them a silent about a month ago.  Same with Stewart.  We need to set something up for all players to neutralize the bag game for other positions like we did for OL.  It will happen in the future but it’s not helping this cycle.  

This feels like criticism, sir.

honestly the Williams news, if true, is not something I expected. At all. Nor Campbell going public early. 

Harris sucks, but I didn’t think we were landing him as of last week. Nothing has changed there but we are about to crush the OL? Yeah man this is still a great weekend. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

When everyone starts getting 100k from the Clark field group that will be helpful. Wasn’t Stewart’s bag allegedly 300k at aggy. Yeah- Clark field alone gets him to 400k, and I’d really like to think that the kickers and long snappers and backups aren’t eating at the same table as the 5 stars from a practical perspective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m honestly not that high on Harris and always preferred Brooks. But I’m assuming they a$ked him to come to clear the air regarding the DC situation and reinforce he should trust them regarding the hire. Going to be interesting if it turns out to be the Bama S coach. If Harris is smart he should just wait. Same with Bryce. 

Edited by SarkAfterDark

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting