Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sticking with top 5 class. 

Neto and fam pull it together and sign. 

Agbo signs. 

Brooks flips. Burke flips. Harris crushes Nahlin’s soul. Brice flips. 

I don’t know, should be fun. I will shit a golden Deadpool figurine and light @SydneyCarton on fire if Evan Stewart flips. 

If Texas solves its problems at WR with a surprise on signing day, I’ll be stunned. I assume it’s portal or bust still. 

I hope CDG has treated you well this morning. We were just in Paris a month ago, left about three days before Omicron was a thing, so I’m sure it’s even weirder to travel. I can give you the name/address of a pharmacy in Montmartre near the Marcadet-Poissoniers metro stop that handled our antigen test quickly and cheaply (pharmacist was also easy with the swab) for the return trip. And grab a screen cap of your Pass Sanitaire QR code and save it in Photos so you don’t have to open the app every time. Have fun!

• Hook 'Em 3

So this was a pretty disappointing 4:00 am going to take a piss read tonight. I saw 10 pages since bedtime and haz the excite. Then saw flip mas season and really got pumped. Then saw 10 pages of worrying about Neto and arguing about a possible Westlake/JJ Watt starter kit. 
I’m stuck at Xmas parties for work and all of my kids today, so will miss the fun. 
For me, a small part of my soul will die when Evan Stewart signs with aggy, but at least i can still dare to dream on Mim. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sticking with top 5 class. 

Neto and fam pull it together and sign. 

Agbo signs. 

Brooks flips. Burke flips. Harris crushes Nahlin’s soul. Brice flips. 

I don’t know, should be fun. I will shit a golden Deadpool figurine and light @SydneyCarton on fire if Evan Stewart flips. 

If Texas solves its problems at WR with a surprise on signing day, I’ll be stunned. I assume it’s portal or bust still. 

Stewart is going to hurt. Thought for sure that kid had another diva moment left in him. I guess the signing bonus is out of this world. I still can't imagine a high-maintenance Frisco kid spending 3 years in that shithole so we'll see. Regardless, Coleman should be served his papers tomorrow. He stepped into the position by being the anti-Mehringer but this shit has run its course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I hope CDG has treated you well this morning. We were just in Paris a month ago, left about three days before Omicron was a thing, so I’m sure it’s even weirder to travel. I can give you the name/address of a pharmacy in Montmartre near the Marcadet-Poissoniers metro stop that handled our antigen test quickly and cheaply (pharmacist was also easy with the swab) for the return trip. And grab a screen cap of your Pass Sanitaire QR code and save it in Photos so you don’t have to open the app every time. Have fun!

It’s been great so far. They’re less worked up about anything than NYC. Or fucking BoJo and the UK. 

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna be interesting to see if Perkins signs with any team in this early signing period, or delays decision till February...  

Nothing interesting at all and you know it. He’s waiting until February. 

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna be interesting to see if Perkins signs with any team in this early signing period, or delays decision till February...  

Tell the entire world you’ve never read the thread. That’s it, that’s all I’ve got because that’s what you just did. 

february, it’s always been February. For weeks or months now. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tell the entire world you’ve never read the thread. That’s it, that’s all I’ve got because that’s what you just did. 

february, it’s always bee February. For weeks or months now. 

February feels more like a wasp month to me 

• Hook 'Em 1

JoeCook

National signing day is finally here, and the Inside Texas staff answers several questions related to the 2022 cycle as it draws to a close.

Inside Texas National Signing Day Recruiting Roundtable

National signing day is finally here, and the Inside Texas staff answers several questions related to the 2022 cycle as it draws to a close.

www.on3.com

Who is the recruit not enough people are talking about?

Eric Nahlin: Cole Hutson. Last year, Hayden Conner was an early enrollee who worked his way up the depth chart in his first season. Cole has similar size, athleticism, and is also an early enrollee.

Hudson Standish: He’s flown under the radar due to the UIL ruling him ineligible for his senior season, but Jaray Bledsoe is a clear SEC difference-maker talent at IDL.

Gerry Hamilton: Bledsoe is arguably the most physically gifted prospect in the class. Being an early enrollee is huge for his maturity and getting in shape after missing his senior season.

Justin Wells: BJ Allen. He can play early and often at a position in need of his type athleticism and demeanor.

Bobby Burton: I’m a huge Brenen Thompson fan. Speed and toughness. If he can catch bullets, he’s going to be terrific out of the gate.

What was the defining moment of this class prior to today?

EN: Ewers committing. At that point, the class started to bend back to the original shape it held two Augusts ago.

HS: Ewers rejoining his 2022 brethren on a visit weekend geared to finishing strong on NSD.

GH: Kelvin Banks commitment. That started the OL dominoes. Two former Oregon commits, and the unpredictable Neto.

JW: Brenen Thompson committing during a terrible season. That showed promise in a dark time.

BB: In my mind, Kelvin Banks’ pledge changed the tide. It was a toss-up and every team in the country wanted him. His selection of the Horns changed the view of the recruiting class in many ways and paved the way for the final.

Given the 5-7 season, did you really think Texas would end up like this on signing day three or four weeks ago?

EN: I had *some* confidence in our Thanksgiving round table, and mentioned tailwinds existed even before then, but to finish like this? No way.

HS: If you told me after the Kansas walk-on scored the 2 point conversion that the Horns had a realistic shot to sign four 5-star players with Quinn Ewers in the bag, I probably would have slapped you.

GH: Hell no! Better to be lucky than good sometimes. “Thank you” cards should be sent to Mario Cristobal, Lincoln Riley, Ed Orgeron and Brian Kelly.

JW: Pre-Ewers, I wasn’t sure. I thought they’d at best ink a Top 10 class. But now, expectations are certainly higher.

BB: No. They had a decent start in the summer, and they got some good kids on campus during the fall, but I thought they’d fade.

Best recruiter for Texas in this class?

EN: Kyle Flood. He had help, yes, but he had relationships in place to capitalize on that help.

HS: Both coaches in the trenches deserve praise, but the answer has to go to Kyle Flood. Flood is certainly going to land six great fits along with a potential 7th and final piece to cement this as the best Texas OL haul ever.

GH: Bo Davis was the key to pulling in On300 prospects from Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

JW: Kyle Flood or Jeff Banks. Hard to separate when both have been tremendous so far in Austin.

BB: Bo Davis. He wrapped his guys up and kept them committed all the way through.

How did Texas get so much momentum here at the end?

EN: UT’s best recruiter this cycle was actually the changed UT ecosystem. Passive UT is no more, at least not for this current generation. Internal factors like the move to the SEC, and proud alums working aggressively to take advantage of the new NIL rules, plus external factors like a very favorable coaching carousel replaced the lost momentum a good season would have provided.

HS: The coaching carousel spinning in UT’s favor.

GH: Banks’s commitment and Quinn’s commitment. Late recruiting momentum is the best recruiting momentum. Created some FOMO.

JW: Quinn. Ewers. Portals. You can say NIL, Kyle Flood, or the Monkey King, but when Ewers’ news spread of his departure from Ohio State, UT’s lights started flashing again.

BB: Ewers.

Which player did Texas get that you didn’t expect?

EN: J’Mond Tapp. I had him figured for LSU until he randomly reached out a couple days before he committed.

HS: Neto Umeozulu is the slam dunk answer.

GH: Neto Umeozulu. Completely unpredictable recruitment. The college coaches don’t have a feel until Monday of Signing Day, that says a lot.

JW: Neto.

BB: I didn’t think Cam Williams was going to jump on board like he did. That was a huge win for Texas.

Can Texas keep this momentum going, and capitalize on it not only with a couple of key recruits who announce in February, but also into the 2023 class?

EN: Absolutely. There are a handful of 2023’s who could offer early class momentum, then there’s the pursuit of Arch Manning that is aided greatly by the current O-line haul.

HS: The reactions from the select group of 2023’s that visited on #22Effect day over the past weekend were extremely positive. The Texas staff seems be developing the necessary relationships with coaches and trainers in-state to keep the ball rolling.

GH: If Texas has a very good day today, yes. Texas has to become a destination for top prospects again.

JW: That late January 2022 Junior Day could be advantageous as Texas positions itself with a handful of the in-state elites and that kid from New Orleans.

BB: I think so, but recruiting momentum is a fickle thing.

We all have opinions: who is the best player committed to Texas as of this morning?

EN: Kris Ross, the Houston TD Club defensive player of the year. Not coincidentally, his team is still playing.

HS: Banks.

GH: Kelvin Banks. The for sure year one starter. Best OL prospect signed in over a decade.

JW: Kelvin Banks.

BB: BJ Allen. He plays fast.

Best player and best prospect are two different things. Which prospect has the highest upside in the class regardless of how good they are right now?

EN: Kelvin Banks. He’s my No 1 prospect in the state and in the running for best high school player in the class.

HS: Banks is the best player committed to Texas in addition to the player with the highest upside.

GH: Jaray Bledsoe. I don’t know if he will reach it, but he could be one of those DL beasts Alabama and Georgia run out annually.

JW: Kris Ross. If he adds to his frame without sacrificing athleticism, he’ll be a monster.

BB: I really don’t see how this answer isn’t Cam Williams. He’s absolutely enormous, athletic and quick.

Best guess on how many commits are added to the class today?

EN: Five.

HS: Four.

GH: “I Got 5 on It!”

JW: Four.

BB: I’m going four.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting