Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

This is true to a point, but at 6"7 I don't necessarily know if he was a true "runner" as a midi or more than likely a short burst guy playing attack or d pole. Regardless, his size makes him a freak on the lacrosse field and would be a pain in the ass to play against. With how heavily lacrosse relies on lateral agility he may have stayed below what would be his optimal football weight, but it really depends on what other sports he was playing as well.

That being said, the kid is going to be conditioned regardless because everyone runs (even the goalies) and will have exceptional hand-eye coordination and be fairly ambidextrous. 

So putting on mass will really depend on body type, but if he can put on 30 lbs of good weight he could be an every-down end, but if not he can still cause havoc as a specialty passing down only rusher.

My oldest played lax for Texas's club team (there is no NCAA team at Texas) and has done some youth coaching in the Austin area.  He helped with Westlake on occasion and told me about Burke when he was in 8th or 9th grade.  Ethan Burke is a legitimate lacrosse player for Westlake.  His father is the varsity coach there, fwiw.

As a freshman in 2019, he played on their top varsity team and was an all-state player with 32 goals and 12 assists.
https://www.facebook.com/WestlakeLacrosse/photos/congratulations-to-ethan-burke-all-state-selection-at-midfield-/2313725372055397/

After his sophomore year 2020, he committed to Maryland lacrosse, a legit program.  He has since decommitted.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/09/15/maryland-adds-lone-star-state-attackman-in-2022-class/

He was all-state in 2021, too.

There is almost zero chance he is a 2-sport player at Texas :)

If I recall, there are 11 scholarships for lacrosse, typically shared among the 40-50 players on the roster.  Football is definitely a more lucrative path.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

Neto is in.

Parents wanted Texas and took his phone away last night lol.  (Per Hamilton)

A bit of a reverse McKinzie.  I hope that means Neto will be happy here and not just doing what his parents want. 

1 minute ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

Neto is in.

Parents wanted Texas and took his phone away last night lol.  (Per Hamilton)

Will be interesting to watch how he develops. He seemed ambivalent on not just Texas but football in general. Is he really a maximizer? 

UT’s lacrosse program is still at the club level and their games are in the spring so I’m sure he can play if he still wants to. We also have one of the best programs at that level and I’m sure they’ll try to get him to play in some games. Also if he was good enough to commit to Maryland then he will shit all over most of the competition. 

Edited by theBigHen

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A bit of a reverse McKinzie.  I hope that means Neto will be happy here and not just doing what his parents want. 

I think he wants to be here, hence the decision. But being nervous about the decision and then reading Twitter’s thoughts on it isn’t good for anyone. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting