Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I continue the opinion of fuck Texas kids that go out of state

I agree completely. Fuck the thsca and their whole straightlinerecruiting. They aren’t helping us with in-state kids. If you aren’t recruiting through their trainers you aren’t doing it right 

Five-star OT Kelvin Banks explains commitment to Oregon
BRIAN PERRONI

(“I just felt like I was at home there,” Banks said on Sunday morning. Har! Har! Har! Har! Har! Har! )

Spoiler

Five-star OT Kelvin Banks explains commitment to Oregon
BRIAN PERRONI

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks originally had an announcement planned for July 24 before moving things up close to three weeks. He instead decided to reveal his commitment on Sun., July 4.

The 6-foot-5, 300-pounder, ranked as the No. 15 overall prospect in the nation per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, had taken June official visits to LSU, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M. Those schools made his final five but, when it came to deciding, he went with Oregon.

“I just felt like I was at home there,” Banks said on Sunday morning. “Most people might go for glitz and glamour and all that stuff. But I was just looking for a place I could go and get a good education, get my degree and have a support system around me with the coaching staff. The coaching staff is great, so I feel like it was a great place for me to be.”

Even though he moved up his decision date, Banks says he did not know where he would choosing until the night before.

“I knew last night,” Banks said on Sunday morning. “That’s when I made my decision. I had been down to them and A&M and was really looking at both. I thought it might be A&M but I just had to go with Oregon.

“It really was just me feeling it in my heart. I can’t really explain any one thing that made that my decision. I just felt the most comfortable there. It’s the place I felt I would be best used and fit in the best.”

Banks took his final official visit to Aggieland and had long been very high on A&M. He said that made the choice even tougher.

“It was A&M right after [Oregon],” he said. “It was a really hard decision with them. That’s why it took me until the last minute. I really like it at A&M a lot and I like all the coaches there a lot. That was really tough not to pick them.”

Some have asked if the decision came down to the Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) ruling, especially with Oregon being Nike’s main schools. Banks says that was not the case, though.

“I understand the NIL pretty well from visiting all these schools,” he said. “But that wasn’t really a big part of my decision. They talked about it the same as the others, about me having people up there that would help me and things like that. But that’s the same thing everybody said.”

Banks is commitment No. 14 for the Ducks in the class. He joins a pair of Texans who made their commitments to Oregon this past week in Duncanville offensive lineman Cameron Williams and Katy four-star wide receiver Nicholas Anderson as the most recent pledges. Mansfield Timberview four-star safety Landon Hullaby is another prospect from the Lone Star State that has been committed to Oregon for some time now, as has DeSoto wide receiver Stephon Johnson.

Just now, Barbacoa said:

The reality is our failure to land elite recruits on the OL and DL will keep us from taking the next step. Nothing matters until we get those areas fixed and stockpiled into the future. 

Comes down to relationships. Herman had the benefit of recruiting Texas hard at both fOSU and UH, then most of the top players in the 2018 cycle were in the Houston area.

If the staff shows well on the field, 2023 will go differently for us. We'll go heavy OOS this cycle and next year will depend on how things go during the season.

What's left for OT?  The only uncommitted offers are Zach Rice, Tyler Booker, Dewberry, Josh Conerly, and George Fitzpatrick.  Only ones from that bunch I could maybe see a chance/visit is Conerly.  Maybe Helm convince his old teammate to give us a look.  Who knows.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Calling bs on this second part. Back when Banks was first rumored to be a UT silent, his twitter was all UT. Perroni just trying to make himself seem informed and pandering to the crowd

How, at this point, can you possibly think it wasn’t our 9.95ers who were bullshitting. They clearly didn’t know anything about this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What's left for OT?  The only uncommitted offers are Zach Rice, Tyler Booker, Dewberry, Josh Conerly, and George Fitzpatrick.  Only ones from that bunch I could maybe see a chance/visit is Conerly.  Maybe Helm convince his old teammate to give us a look.  Who knows.

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Conerly-Jr-46057420/

1 CB from a guy with a coin flip success rate this year and that too only on 6 recruits.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Conerly, Agbo, and Dewberry sound like the only ones we're talking to and all long shots

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Right now, our message is not resonating.  While yes, they can point to their previous resume… our rivals are hitting them with the same pitch.  Here’s how this conversation goes.

”Look at all the good coaches and staffs that have been there that have gotten fired.  Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman.  None of them succeeded there and none were able to develop blue chip players.  Sark is a good coach but wait to see if he can actually put players in the league at Texas.  His success is because of Nick Saban and Bama.  He doesn’t have a good record as a head coach.  Why commit to Texas when you can come here and we will develop you.  Don’t risk your future betting on Texas until they prove it.”

Then they back it up with the articles showing Texas with the lowest blue chip development rate of all power 5 programs.  Most of the current recruits have no memories of Texas being a top program.  I follow a bunch of Instagram recruiting accounts that interact with high school and college athletes.  Most of them have Texas on the same tier program wise as TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc.  Sark needs to change that perception fast by winning.  It’s a simple solution… just win.  Apparently that seems impossible for all the coaches we have hired the last decade for whatever reason.

Feels like we better win 10+ or we'll be doing this all over again this time next year with the 23' class.  You can forget Arch and all the top in-state guys.  Remember recently one of the $9.95ers said a couple of high rated 23' parents said something like "We like Texas, but we want to see how things go the first two games against Louisiana and Arkansas".

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If the staff shows well on the field, 2023 will go differently for us. We'll go heavy OOS this cycle and next year will depend on how things go during the season.

Kids are fickle.  Shit can/will change fast.  Let other schools lose a game or two and have us win in Dallas and make the playoffs and things are completely different.  What a difference a year will make.  

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Or, and this is just wild, baseless speculation here, perhaps Cristobal and Helton aren’t great at the “football coaching” part of their jobs.

USC especially has underperformed since before Helton. Perhaps they have the same coaching issues as Texas. The reason I made my original statement is that very few teams built largely on California talent have done much of late. Even with a much greater population, California has 1/2 as many 4-5 star recruits as either Texas or Florida. I don’t think that was the case 20 years ago. California football talent may be getting worse by the year. If my assertion that the California player rankings may be seriously flawed is correct, it could be worse than it appears (to me, anyway). 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Nah having the most pro sports billionaire donor is their best pitch 

This right here.

I’m sure a lot of you understand what I’m about to say, but there are some here that don’t seem to get it, or they’re just not paying attention.

To a lot of 17-19yo’s, the Brand matters. Period. School Brand, Uniform Brand(hello SHOES) and now, of course, Personal Brand.
Phil Knight bleeds green and yellow. I’m sure he’s just as tired of UO’s wallowing around in mediocrity as a lot of us are with Texas doing the same. Of course he’s in a much better suited position to affect things that most of us. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t arrange for certain recruits SNKRS accounts to be flagged to come up winners on all the launches. 

Dammit, I sound like an aggy conspiracy theorist…🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Fuck off with that bullshit.

This shit has a decade long foundation that has nothing to do with him.

Excuses. It either gets fixed or it doesnt. If we have to way overpay for a couple cycles then so be it. We arent even competing with the big dogs on that level. You gotta be all in because these other programs are. We should be Georgia West with a better brand. We aren't even close. 

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Right now, our message is not resonating.  While yes, they can point to their previous resume… our rivals are hitting them with the same pitch.  Here’s how this conversation goes.

”Look at all the good coaches and staffs that have been there that have gotten fired.  Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman.  None of them succeeded there and none were able to develop blue chip players.  Sark is a good coach but wait to see if he can actually put players in the league at Texas.  His success is because of Nick Saban and Bama.  He doesn’t have a good record as a head coach.  Why commit to Texas when you can come here and we will develop you.  Don’t risk your future betting on Texas until they prove it.”

Then they back it up with the articles showing Texas with the lowest blue chip development rate of all power 5 programs.  Most of the current recruits have no memories of Texas being a top program.  I follow a bunch of Instagram recruiting accounts that interact with high school and college athletes.  Most of them have Texas on the same tier program wise as TCU, Baylor, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc.  Sark needs to change that perception fast by winning.  It’s a simple solution… just win.  Apparently that seems impossible for all the coaches we have hired the last decade for whatever reason.

Sark and assistants MUST convince some of those really good recruits to believe in him and Texas....be a part of what is to come...and to hell with all this negativity from other schools....Sark really has to sell it big time....then, prove it on the field.  Saban will tell you he didn't get where he is by molding a bunch of 3 star talent...he sold them, coached them up, got them drafted and recruiting better players got easier, wins got easier....snowball baby.   Find the players who is buying what he is selling...but he has to produce....imho.

• closetojumping changed the title to Oregon Recruiting Notes 2022
10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Hopefully flood can work miracles and make these 2 ans 3 stars all world 

I have no sunshine to deliver during times like these. To me it seemed obvious our coaches had no clue as to what these kids were leaning. But if there is one silver lining is that this is an odd year where there are likely a lot of unknowns out there since Covid hasn’t allowed a full evaluation of a lot of kids. Normally we see a lot of movement between prospects during Sophomore and Junior years. We have not seen that this year. Coaching staffs are focusing on the exact same kids from 12 months ago. 

The issue for us is always been evaluations and development. This coaching staff can still change that. Now, if we miss on Campbell and we start losing late evals, then we better hope for a 12 win season with zero stories about sobriety being an issue for Sark. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting