Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

It’s really frustrating that we let go of good coaches who were able to develop players here like Ash, Hutzler, and Giles (argue all you want, we had two guys that ended up Big 12 DL player of the year).  Instead he kept Andre Coleman…. A guy that should either be an analyst or coaching at a Div 2 school. 

Lol. So we should have kept Giles and not taken Bo Davis? That’s your take? Just say Coleman sucks and leave it at that. Also giles fucking sucked dick too. Look at what the d line looks like in his wake. 

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, maybe Coleman getting the boot is why Winfield finally pulled trig. How about that smart guys

image.gif.eae4572a97f432ca16596fcafdeb1cb7.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Just spoke to a guy I’ve known since kindergarten that’s close with Dewberry’s family, and he confirmed that as of Monday, Texas is still very much in that race. Said the young man absolutely loves the staff. Doesn’t sound like he’s made a decision yet. In any case, the $9.95er smoke is legit in this situation.

And here I thought size was the only similarity between Dewberry and South Austin's mom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Samples’ value is way higher for in-state schools, he’s not leaving the state. So with that in mind, where else would he go?  Like it or not, hot assistants probably ain’t looking to attach themselves to Sark right now.  Aranda could leave Baylor at anytime. Tech is a lateral move at best, and probably a step down because you have to recruit to Lubbock.

The best P5 options in his mind would be to follow Dykes to TCU or aggy. And reports were that he was angling for an aggy offer, but I don’t think he got it. So he’s following Dykes to TCU

Having a recruiting area like Dallas in your portfolio is valuable to a lot of schools, not just in state schools. There is a reason Banks and Valai were hired by Saban 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Having a recruiting area like Dallas in your portfolio is valuable to a lot of schools, not just in state schools. There is a reason Banks and Valai were hired by Saban 

Of course it’s still valuable, just not as valuable. He’s much better off staying in-state and that’s where most of the interest is coming from anyways. 

It’s not like schools like Bama are actually an option for him right now. 

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

It’s really frustrating that we let go of good coaches who were able to develop players here like Ash, Hutzler, and Giles (argue all you want, we had two guys that ended up Big 12 DL player of the year).  Instead he kept Andre Coleman…. A guy that should either be an analyst or coaching at a Div 2 school. 

Yes to the point of improvements in tackling, sacks, pressures, etc.  but this was going from Orlando.  Is it too much to expect that high school defenders might do a little better in 4 down lineman base defense especially when the state doesn’t seem to produce much LB talent.

Ash brought back memories of transition from Manny Diaz.

I mean Texas can usually out athlete everyone but Oklahoma so just make the defense simple and let them fly.  

elaborate defenses seem to just confuse Texas players and result in players being out of position.

and can we fucking play within 5 yards of opposing team WRs.   D1 QBs are going to dink pass you to death these days.  What’s Akina d doing these days

well at least abortion of a defense is over.  Personally think PK comes back and only maybe 2 position coaches go.  Pray it’s enough.

Edited by Dr.Dre

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Is there a single justification for keeping Coleman on the staff at this point? And don't give me 'continuity' because Sark inherited him from the last regime, he's been around long enough that the WR situation is on him.

I'm sure the sunshine pumpers will come up with some justification. I'm just curious as to what it is and how deranged it will sound.

Sarcasm font “Worthy plays WR right so doesn’t Coleman get credit for his bad ass play?”  Freshman all American right?  Can’t fire a position coach that has an all American can you”

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Of course it’s still valuable, just not as valuable. He’s much better off staying in-state and that’s where most of the interest is coming from anyways. 

It’s not like schools like Bama are actually an option for him right now. 

That maybe true. Lot of coaches will be moving around. His recruiting chops could be deemed valuable at LSU for obvious reasons. His marketability would be higher with a stop at A&M or Texas. Coaching game isn’t much different than business. It’s hard to climb the ladder to top firms, but once you get one on your resume the rest think you have been validated. It’s like this board. Texas hires a coach from Bama. “Oh shit, he can coach”. Hire a guy from a mid-major. “What the fuck?”. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure those suitors have been in his ear already. Theres no way aggy hasn't. SMU for sure has thrown some money at him to try and get him to stay. I want him at TCU less than maybe anyone here but he's a big DFW guy and is apparently pretty buddy buddy with Dykes so it is what it is. He's certainly taking a bet on himself and TCU is 2-3 years away from winning that conference in my book.

And he should be at least high 6 figs if not 7 at TCU - so maybe not tagged as OC but paid close to it. And he'll have more titles than just RB/WR coach. 

Lol wut

On 11/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I’m all for Gerry doing heavy lifting to get us traylor in 2 more years. 

Well, speaking of monkeys raging on their keyboards...

And I'm not at all suggesting anyone should trust the coaches. I sure as shit don't. I'm just saying that Vince Lombardi himself couldn't divine a winning football team out of this material in one year.

Seems your idea here is "trust the flavor-of-the-month coaches we haven't yet hired who have had brief success at a minor program." Because we've never done that before and it always worked out just fucking fine.

How 'bout we spend the next couple of years learning how to do an actual coaching search, with people who actually know how to do it, instead of yet again trying to money-whip some hot mid-major name? The only time we've had any significant extended success in football since I was in middle school was when we missed on the hot name, and instead hired the guy the people who actually know a damn thing about football said we should.

Traylor might even be a good coach, but if you think "trust the coaches" is a stupid idea (because it is), then "trust this hot new coach I wanna hire" is also a stupid idea, and we've had that proven over and over again and you just won't learn. 

Go bash your head into a marble counter top until all the "Let's go hire THIS guy, I'm sure it will be different this time!" is out of it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Well, speaking of monkeys raging on their keyboards...

And I'm not at all suggesting anyone should trust the coaches. I sure as shit don't. I'm just saying that Vince Lombardi himself couldn't divine a winning football team out of this material in one year.

Seems your idea here is "trust the flavor-of-the-month coaches we haven't yet hired who have had brief success at a minor program." Because we've never done that before and it always worked out just fucking fine.

How 'bout we spend the next couple of years learning how to do an actual coaching search, with people who actually know how to do it, instead of yet again trying to money-whip some hot mid-major name? The only time we've had any significant extended success in football since I was in middle school was when we missed on the hot name, and instead hired the guy the people who actually know a damn thing about football said we should.

Traylor might even be a good coach, but if you think "trust the coaches" is a stupid idea (because it is), then "trust this hot new coach I wanna hire" is also a stupid idea, and we've had that proven over and over again and you just won't learn. 

Go bash your head into a marble counter top until all the "Let's go hire THIS guy, I'm sure it will be different this time!" is out of it.

It’s a fair point in a vacuum. But this isn’t a vacuum. First I’m fine with is actually conducting a thorough search, but you’re also taking it as a given that we have or will learn how to do that in 3 years. It’s just as faulty a premise as “hiring the hot guy never works” or “hire the mid major guy never works.” It’s just as speculative as “learn how to conduct a proper search and conduct a search.” Throw it all on the pile with “well we should play the bag game” and “we need better boosters.” Well no shit, but is any of that walking through the door to Stone Cold’s music by gawd? 

Second, you’re making s blanket statement about coaches as if we don’t have specific and individual points about Jeff Traylor. But we do. Traylor isnt Tom mega prick Herman. If he is a narcissist it hasn’t shown up yet in his behavior. Just because he’s working his way up from HS ranks doesn’t mean hes the same as every other mid major hot coach. Discounting him as such is just as foolish as “trust the coaches.” For fucks sake USC was kicking the tires on him for a reason. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Making sweeping conclusions based on n=4 since the mid 90s doesn't make sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s a fair point in a vacuum. But this isn’t a vacuum. First I’m fine with is actually conducting a thorough search, but you’re also taking it as a given that we have or will learn how to do that in 3 years. It’s just as faulty a premise as “hiring the hot guy never works” or “hire the mid major guy never works.” It’s just as speculative as “learn how to conduct a proper search and conduct a search.” Throw it all on the pile with “well we should play the bag game” and “we need better boosters.” Well no shit, but is any of that walking through the door to Stone Cold’s music by gawd? 

Second, you’re making s blanket statement about coaches as if we don’t have specific and individual points about Jeff Traylor. But we do. Traylor isnt Tom mega prick Herman. If he is a narcissist it hasn’t shown up yet in his behavior. Just because he’s working his way up from HS ranks doesn’t mean hes the same as every other mid major hot coach. Discounting him as such is just as foolish as “trust the coaches.” For fucks sake USC was kicking the tires on him for a reason. 

Using USC as a data point for the validity of a coaches potential is pretty ballsy bud. If I had to pick a school who has the same amount of built in advantages (maybe more) as we do and has made an absolute shit show of the AD and head football coaching hires for 50 years just like us…USC and Texas are saying hold my beer to each other. After that QB sneak with no timeouts and rushing a field goal kick for no apparent reason I’m with you though, let’s move on here. I’m broken inside. 

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Using USC as a data point for the validity of a coaches potential is pretty ballsy bud. If I had to pick a school who has the same amount of built in advantages (maybe more) as we do and has made an absolute shit show of the AD and head football coaching hires for 50 years just like us…USC and Texas are saying hold my beer to each other. After that QB sneak with no timeouts and rushing a field goal kick for no apparent reason I’m with you though, let’s move on here. I’m broken inside. 

Everyone kicks the tires on the same names. USC is inept, but frustrated. You can be skeptical all you want, with good reason, but the fact that he made their initial list should be a positive data point, regardless of the admin itself. That’s all I’m saying. Traylor also basically turned down tech and tcu this cycle. 

23 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Cracks me up that he flat out tells everyone that Sark and Flood are the right guys yet, people will argue that they aren’t. He played for all 3 coaches.  I will take his opinion over the keyboard warriors that think they know better. 

You're always gonna have guys who stand up for the coaches. Except Mackovic I guess. I'm not sure that's really the best measuring stick. 

Edited by Red Five
beer

22 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Cracks me up that he flat out tells everyone that Sark and Flood are the right guys yet, people will argue that they aren’t. He played for all 3 coaches.  I will take his opinion over the keyboard warriors that think they know better. 

Unless Ben Davis or Kielan Robinson want to speak up, not a single player on the roster knows what the right guys look like

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

7 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Unless Ben Davis or Kielan Robinson want to speak up, not a single player on the roster knows what the right guys look like

They were with them at Alabama and followed them here.  We know what they think or they wouldn’t have come here.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting