Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I prefer, "we're not renewing your scholarship" or "the defense department regrets to inform you that your scholarship is dead because you are stupid/sucky."

If I'm reading below article correctly, Power 5 schools can no longer just say "we're not renewing your scholarship"

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/  

"In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason." 

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Clark Field Collective is totally separate from Pancake Factory and HWH.

I was referring to Will Baizer's post that OLs would get this $50k plus $100k from Clark Field.

Although this was in the press release too - "Clark Field Collective is a key participating donor to Horns with Heart"

So this also means that coming in as a walk-on and busting your ass to get scholarship really does mean something to some of these guys again.. How many blue shirts will the Collective and Pancakes help convince 3*s to come UT vs a scholarship elsewhere?

Bust your ass and prove it and you will see the love down the line….

Also is there a NIL fund for the walkons  yet?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Laxtonto said:

So this also means that coming in as a walk-on and busting your ass to get scholarship really does mean something to some of these guys again.. How many blue shirts will the Collective and Pancakes help convince 3*s to come UT vs a scholarship elsewhere?

Bust your ass and prove it and you will see the love down the line….

Also is there a NIL fund for the walkons  yet?

Burnt Ends pays the walk-on tight ends, right?

Yep to a lot of the above posts. These are adults putting their bodies on the line and it's about fucking time they're treated like that and can get paid accordingly. But the flip side of that has always been that if you're getting paid then if you don't perform you are liable to get fired.

Athletic scholarships being annually renewable is the mechanism for that. No halfway intelligent coaching staff is going to risk their NIL pitch by forcing the people paying the tab to pay scrubs or malcontents for 5 years if they can help it. Before NIL payment became real I was fine with discussions of making athletic scholarships guaranteed for 4 years because of the stories of some overactive trap doors at some schools, etc. But now that they're being paid the only issue I'd see for programs like this is a devastating career-ending injury to a scholarship player who was in good standing with the program. In that case I assume being moved to medical scholarship would still be considered being a scholarship player. Hell, the bad PR alone makes that the only reasonable course of action.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I don’t know. But in the grand scheme of things most of the boilerplate has been for scholarship athletes.

Lots of questions about that because of the other sports and what to means 

Walkon TEs get Burnt Ends payments...so for the rest of you non-Burnt Ends members, pay up.

Image of yeah, man, we need the dues.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

The last sentence of the HWH press release says that CFC is a major contributor. Not sure if that means some portion of the $800k is funded from the $10MM 

The two organizations are completely separate, and the initiatives to pay players are completely separate. That's all you need to know. 

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If I'm reading below article correctly, Power 5 schools can no longer just say "we're not renewing your scholarship"

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

"In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason." 

So... sorry big OL dude.. we're moving you to backup kicker

• Haha 1

Just now, honolulu horn said:

So fucking badass. 

It really is. This is going to be a model program because it is absolutely nothing but good things that will lead to good press.

"TEXAS IS SO EVIL WITH THEIR BIG MONEY THEY THINK THEY'RE GREAT BUT THOSE SHITHEADS ARE *checks notes*, uh, giving to charity."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's real charities. Contributions will be made to the charities, in the form of player support and appearances, as well as dollars. Charities get money. Players get money. 

Love it. Are y'all going to have a way for fans to join on the charity events (for a contribution to the charity and/or HWH)? Could see pros/cons to that but just an idea.

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

“The money goes straight to the players…”

So is the $50k pancake “charity” for real charities (ie not in the players’ pockets) or to organizations such as Player X’s Escalade Fund and Player Y’s diversified mutual funds fun run race for the cure?

My guess is real charity and a portion goes to players

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Love it. Are y'all going to have a way for fans to join on the charity events (for a contribution to the charity and/or HWH)? Could see pros/cons to that but just an idea.

It will depend on the charity, what the charity wants, and what the donors want, honestly. It's all adaptable. 

There will definitely be a crowdsourcing option up, but right now big game hunting. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

previous commitment messages: "Taking my talents to the University of Texas for the next three to four years 🤘!"

future commitment messages: "Taking my talents to the University of Texas for the next six to seven years 🤘!"

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Something that came up in conversation with someone who works at a Big Ten school. What is Michigan State thinking right now? What about their boosters? Why the hell are they paying Mel Tucker $9.5M per year instead of paying Tucker $5M, their offensive line $2.5M, and their defensive line $2M per year for the next 10 years.

I know which one would lead to more winning, that's for sure.

Now obviously the school can't pay the players directly, but in the end it is all donations from alumni/boosters.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting