Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

there's no chance TCU gets Ewers right?

Doesn't sound like it, but TCU honestly would make a lot more sense than Tech. Would get to work with Dykes, have Evans in the backfield with him (assuming he withdraws from the portal which I bet he does) and would get to throw to Golden, Johnston and Hudson.

Breakfast Bites: Can Texas take advantage of Oregon coaching change?

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: Can Texas take advantage of Oregon coaching change?

Mike Roach

— With news today that Mario Cristobal is leaving Oregon to take the Miami job, the Longhorns will try to take advantage of one of the top classes in the country. As I wrote last week when Lincoln Riley left for USC, a 5-7 season was tough to sell but there’s something to be said for stability. Texas took advantage last night when they landed former OU commit Kobie McKinzie. Now, the Longhorns should be perusing a few names on the Oregon class list.

— Let’s start with the most obvious in Kelvin Banks. This is coming together like I heard it might when I reported it in mid-October. At the time, I reported that a well-placed source in Houston told me there was some real buzz behind Texas and Kelvin Banks. Since that time, the Longhorns have been working on the five-star offensive tackle. As I reported that night, the source told me that if he flipped, all of the smart money would be on Texas.

— Just this week, a source told me that there was a feeling Texas could win Banks without Cristobal leaving Oregon, but they’d also appreciate the help a coaching change might give them. Texas went in-home with Banks last week and will head back this week to turn up the heat now that there is uncertainty in Eugene. Though sources have been confident the flip would be to Texas and not Texas A&M, I’m not sure I’d count the Aggies out totally. I trust my sources, but the Aggies will likely try to put up a strong fight and they’ve been recruiting well in this cycle. I also have no feel for if Banks would want to stay at Oregon without Cristobal or Alex Mirabal who is likely to follow Cristobal back home. I also have no feel on if Banks would consider Miami or not. We will keep checking in with sources on this during the week.

— Kyle Flood will also use this opportunity to try and pry Cameron Williams away. The massive Duncanville offensive tackle chose Oregon over Texas in the summer, but the Longhorns have remained in contact throughout that time and went in home with Williams last week. A source close to him told me that many members of his family want him closer to home and like Texas as the fit. There was a feeling that Williams wouldn’t flip until there was a reason to do so. Now, Texas has the chance to lean on him and see if this coaching change could be the impetus for him to make the move.

— One other name to watch is Montgomery (AL.) Catholic Preparatory linebacker TJ Dudley. Dudley visited Austin for an official visit before picking Oregon during the summer, but as recently as a month ago, Texas was still in contact and working to get him back to Austin for a visit. Now with Cristobal gone, Texas might look to engage once again with the physical defender. The Longhorns just added a linebacker commit in McKinzie and are looking to stack chips on the offensive line, but Dudley may be too good to pass on.  Even before this happened, Dudley was talking about pushing his signing back to February, so Texas might have some time to really evaluate the linebacker picture.

— I’d expect Texas to try again with elite wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan, but I’m not sure if it will matter. McMillan would be a game-changer for the Longhorns who could contribute immediately, but he never seemed to have much interest in leaving the west coast. We will see what we hear there.

2 hours ago, Theo Aquacates said:

Today is the last day of Hanukkah. I’d gladly accept an announcement of the second phase of NIL, followed by a Ewers commit, followed by Banks/Neto/Campbell/Stewart commits on this final day of the Festival of Lights. Chag Sameach, my Surly friends🤘🏼

Cristiano Ronaldo | "I Bet the Jews Did This" | Know Your Meme

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The guy who has contributed literally nothing on any level to anything associated with NIL while living on this board with almost 25,000 posts has shown up to tell everyone else what to do. Your posts here show your ignorance on the subject, but given your posting proclivities, we know that won't stop you.

Pretty sure he contributes a bunch of excrement to the CR thread.  

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Kind of a stupid move, imo. Oregon has money to buy whomever they choose, and Miami is, well, competing with Georgia. That's no bueno for a coach who is average. Miami ain't paying for recruits. 

But whatever, tho. Let's hope this helps with Banks. 

If I had a choice between living in Oregon or Miami........hello Miami

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Kind of a stupid move, imo. Oregon has money to buy whomever they choose, and Miami is, well, competing with Georgia. That's no bueno for a coach who is average. Miami ain't paying for recruits. 

But whatever, tho. Let's hope this helps with Banks. 

Apparently his mom, who lives in Miami, is sick.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting