Cruella

Didn't see it on the first page, so figured there wasn't actually a thread yet.

Watched this on Disney+ yesterday (honestly, will alsways choose paying $30 to watch something at home curled up on the couch rather than at a movie theater).  I liked it.  There were definitely weaknesses, but the two Emmas are a lot of fun to watch in this.  They definitely are the highlight.  That and the costumes/makeup.  

Wife and I watched it tonight streaming at home. Fun movie, surprising amount of action and crime movie elements on top of lots of winks and nods to the original movie. And the soundtrack is pretty good to boot!

Some of the CG dog shots are a little jarring but it helps sell the cartoony nature of the movie. There's definitely a few moments where you have to remember you're watching a Disney movie and just have fun and ignore how impossible some of the action shown is. 

It's a fun watch but has some flaws

12 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

wife and i went and saw it at the theatre this morning.  liked it a lot.  agree that both of the lead actresses were good and the soundtrack was great.  it was fun being back in a movie theatre watching a new release and eating popcorn.

Hamm.gif.c44c7a40f41a4dc3030e10ce191798af.gif

More like...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i liked the tracking shot through her first place of employment as well.

They made great use of CGI effects to sell some of the more eye-popping moments and shots. Really cool to see the tech continue to mature through the live action Disney films and Mandalorian and Marvel shows. 

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Unbelievably stupid.  Trying to make one of the best cartoon villains sympathetic is dumb.   Her origin story wasn't needed.

I liked the movie even though I had similar thoughts about how and what we are supposed to think of Cruella now.  Then I considered the times that we live in now.  Sign O' the Times and what not.  I was entertained still and have recommended it to others.

I liked the movie even though I had similar thoughts about how and what we are supposed to think of Cruella now.  Then I considered the times that we live in now.  Sign O' the Times and what not.  I was entertained still and have recommended it to others.
I misread your screen name. I thought it said minginghorn, not mininghorn. My bad.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 6/10/2021 at 5:30 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I misread your screen name. I thought it said minginghorn, not mininghorn. My bad.

Haha! I had to look up the meaning of minging.  It is certainly not that!

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just watched this. Exceeded expectations by a large amount.

That soundtrack though. Only the mouse would drop what had to be $20M on music.

Second both your points. The Dutch family saw it today and all enjoyed it (kid is 8 and said she really liked it). Soundtrack is killer…so many great songs. 

This was our first time back to a theater since CoVID hit (Cinemark’s drink cup featured “‘Top Gun: Maverick’, coming June 2020”), and I forgot how much I love movies at the theater. The popcorn, the sound, the whole experience. 

Saw it with my gf and her sister, and all three of us enjoyed the hell out of it.

I can't praise Emma Stone enough, that was a comedic tour de force.

I kept thinking that I was watching a female Tim Curry.  Her facial expressions, eye rolls, voice modulation... she was just fantastic.

Emma Thompson was Emma Thompson.  It's impossible for her not to be terrific.

Whoever mentioned soundtrack and the $ spent, I commented to the gf during the film that they must’ve dropped a fuckton on the music. 

Really surprising to me when producers do that, because I can’t imagine the success of the film depends on those exact songs by those exact groups. I’d think you could achieve the same effect with less expensive material or even original stuff, but I’m not in the business so what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...

Wife, for whatever reason, wanted to go to the movie theatre and see this.  The movie was surprisingly very, very good.  We both enjoyed it.  Run time was a little long, but a great pace to the movie.

We spent $$$ on IPIC and I have no idea why anyone would ever want to go to a theatre ever again.  It was expensive, the prices for concessions were obnoxious, and I'd much rather have watched the movie at home.  It was nice to get out of the house, but I'd rather go out for a nice dinner and come home to watch a movie next time.  I forgot how bad theatres are.

• 2 months later...
Whoever mentioned soundtrack and the $ spent, I commented to the gf during the film that they must’ve dropped a fuckton on the music. 

Really surprising to me when producers do that, because I can’t imagine the success of the film depends on those exact songs by those exact groups. I’d think you could achieve the same effect with less expensive material or even original stuff, but I’m not in the business so what do I know?

It’s the John Hughes effect

On 6/14/2021 at 3:39 AM, Augustus said:

Saw it with my gf and her sister, and all three of us enjoyed the hell out of it.

I can't praise Emma Stone enough, that was a comedic tour de force.

I kept thinking that I was watching a female Tim Curry.  Her facial expressions, eye rolls, voice modulation... she was just fantastic.

Emma Thompson was Emma Thompson.  It's impossible for her not to be terrific.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, Augustus said:

Agree with all of this. Just watched it and the reimagining was exceptional. I can't think of an original Disney character I liked less than Cruella in 101. To make me sympathetic? You magnificent bastards. The soundtrack really added dimension. It would be a much lesser film with some generic background track. Emma Stone is batting way out of her league here. I mean holy shit she learned how to hit a curve with power. Should have stopped underestimating her with LaLa Land. Oscar nod for sure.

Edited by RPM

• 3 months later...

The Emmas were great, but Paul Hauser's Horace stole a lot of the scenes. As did John McCrea's Artie. The one scene near the end with them together was money.

This movie was some dark shit for Disney. Loved it. Definitely had some rough spots and pacing issues, but I love it when stories get me rooting for the bad guys.

• Hook 'Em 1