2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

As disappointing as losing Mathis would/will be, I gotta say - $600k seems like a lot for a 1-2 year rental who has had one good year and one average one. That number surprises me but maybe that’s market now days, idk 

It's the market when your team is fucking awful and the likely 4-8 season means you are firing your football coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

You guys are all missing the real silver lining of this entire Mathis debacle. CTJ is now referring to our esteemed head coach as Steve Sarklostagain instead of the notably inferior Steve Sarklossian. 
GIF by Padma Lakshmi

Indeed, no, sir. I've just added Sarklostagain to the repertoire, so hat tip. Steve Sarklossian will outlast his namesake's tenure at Texas on this board.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Indeed, no, sir. I've just added Sarklostagain to the repertoire, so hat tip. Steve Sarklossian will outlast his namesake's tenure at Texas on this board.

sarklostagain is such a good nickname that i'm having trouble remembering what his actual last name is.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

As disappointing as losing Mathis would/will be, I gotta say - $600k seems like a lot for a 1-2 year rental who has had one good year and one average one. That number surprises me but maybe that’s market now days, idk 

That's the thing about these NIL bidding wars. You're basically up against every other program in the country, since it only takes one program to decide that they really, really have to have the player and thus drop a silly amount. We have deep pockets, but I assume not deep enough to outbid every program for every player.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Edge. Dorbah, Abiara and Thomas are just roster space for a position that is already thin as hell.

How can you know Abiara wasn’t going to be a good player?  If you are a “developmental staff” then at some point you have to develop somebody.  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

How can you know iAbiara wasn’t going to be a good player?

Abiara was a project who was in legal trouble in high school, basically got processed by Notre Dame and then was a part of our late scramble to put together the 2021 recruiting class that was full of holes. It's then mentioned multiple times last fall by 9.95ers that he was having some maturity issues. The writing was on the wall very early.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How can you know Abiara wasn’t going to be a good player?  If you are a “developmental staff” then at some point you have to develop somebody.  

I think you're misunderstanding the term "developmental" as it pertains to this staff.

When you see people saying they're a developmental staff, what they mean is that this staff is trying to "develop" a fucking clue and they're not even close to being there yet. I hate to be the bearer of bad news since it sounds like you might have just woken up from a multi-year coma, but this staff went 5-7 last year, gave up 57 points at home in a loss to Kansas, and has had a hard time being able to identify their assholes from a hole in the ground. So they're super developmental right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Is it me or this seems slanted towards Nebraska?

you have to click through to the whole pictures

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He didn't exactly have world beaters ahead of him and I'm not even sure he played in the spring game.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you're misunderstanding the term "developmental" as it pertains to this staff.

When you see people saying they're a developmental staff, what they mean is that this staff is trying to "develop" a fucking clue and they're not even close to being there yet. I hate to be the bearer of bad news since it sounds like you might have just woken up from a multi-year coma, but this staff went 5-7 last year, gave up 57 points at home in a loss to Kansas, and has had a hard time being able to identify their assholes from a hole in the ground. So they're super developmental right now.

Did he though? on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

let's see how the 9.95ers sell what is clearly a huge miss.

Naked Gun Movie GIF

Why pay $9.95 when the resident sunshine-pumpers will do it for free? There have been and always will be excuses for every miss, that's never changed across all the failed coaches we've had.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)