2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Any mix of Hookfin, SGW, Merrill, Prince, Liebrock, Abiara, Ibraheem, Guilbeau (I don't care what IT thinks on him), Sweat, Coburn, Juan Davis, K Thompson, and Collins.

So we're at 3 and more coming. But yeah, Hookfin seems like a certainty.

oh yeah I forgot about Liebrock. Nahlin did allude to Ibraheem not being back as well.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Agreed, but I would be surprised if they let any of the OL depth take a hit. Merrill isn't actually depth though so who knows. I'd add Ish, Liebrock, and Chucky Wright to your list. 

I think they've got enough freshmen coming in and '23 recruits to not care about carrying dead weight for depth this year.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Any mix of Hookfin, SGW, Merrill, Prince, Liebrock, Abiara, Ibraheem, Guilbeau (I don't care what IT thinks on him), Sweat, Coburn, Juan Davis, K Thompson, and Collins.

That would suck. 

I wouldnt mind seeing Juan Davis on the defense for summer camp

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm on board with the front part of the list.

Steve Sarklostagain playing the role of Scott Frost hiding in the girlfriend's closet (Mathis) while Scott Frost shows up as Lawrence Phillips and beats the shit out of her and drags her into his program by her hair is not a good look, should we not land the transfer.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 3

Not moving goal posts. A quality edge player has the chance to dramatically improve the defense, which was the biggest problem for Texas. 
Texas went out and made me quite happy in getting Ewers, as you know I have said QB play was terrible last year, but I do not think that will have a bigger impact in 2022 than a quality edge player would have. Longer term way bigger return, but the offense for all its inconsistency did  enough to go bowling at a minimum. 

Lets put it this way. If the offense improved 20% on scoring they would score 42.36 pts instead of 35.3 and move from 18th to 3rd in the country
If the defense improved 20% they would give up 24.88 pts instead of 31.1 and move from 99th in the country to 53rd 

A quality edge… just makes opposing offenses have to go through the trouble of making sure they are going to run the right direction to gain 10 yards off tackle.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Hookfin is an alleged medical, right?  I don’t think that should count for the 6.5. if it ends up being a retirement. That’s for portals. 

I thought I read this yesterday, that Hookfin was going to stay at Texas and finish on a medical, but I can't find that anywhere now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

the only one on that list that really gives me any heartburn is Collins. losing any level of seniority on the line would suck but at the same time, not like they were world beaters?

also, did you mean Jerrin Thompson? thought i was forgetting someone on the team haha

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hookfin is an alleged medical, right?  I don’t think that should count for the 6.5. if it ends up being a retirement. That’s for portals. 

i assume if he portals out, it means he doesn't want to go on medical

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's going to take at least a year to recover - he could go on medical now and then transfer next season to another school and play, no?

If he was smart he would go on medical and graduate this year, its his 4th year at Texas. Then he should think about moving on. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i assume if he portals out, it means he doesn't want to go on medical

If you were injured badly enough in a motorcycle accident that a medical is on the table I can’t imagine that you’re gonna have many suitors in the portal.  Might as well go to school for free here.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, today forward. So there's 3 today, as apparently the Thomas one blew by me. 

I don't expect the staff to head into the summer with any players that they think can't contribute. So I don't expect the 85 man cap to be the real issue. They've been complaining about numerous roster issues for 16 fucking months now, so these idiots better not be heading into a new season with what they view as dead weight. Surely they're not that exceptionally stupid, right? Right, guys? ... Guys?

Does it matter if we have 83 guys on the roster with 5 of those being dead weights, or have 78 guys with no dead weights? Does processing them affect our APR?

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Portal is as portal does, as far as I am concerned. I believe there will be more attrition before game 1 and not all of it will be in the form of a transfer. So, I was just talking about portals getting in ahead of May 1, which we would hear about through probably May 2/3.

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only one on that list that really gives me any heartburn is Collins. losing any level of seniority on the line would suck but at the same time, not like they were world beaters?

also, did you mean Jerrin Thompson? thought i was forgetting someone on the team haha

I meant K Crawford, but it doesn't matter, really. It could be anyone on the roster as not everyone is likely to be someone we don't care about as recruiting dorks.

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyway I guess upon review my point is superfluous, as he either portals or doesn’t and that’s likely why he was on ctj’s list of candidates. 

Correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Does it matter if we have 83 guys on the roster with 5 of those being dead weights, or have 78 guys with no dead weights? Does processing them affect our APR?

I'm sure every early exit from the roster impacts APR, but someone more interested in tinkering with that than me would have to chime in if details are needed.

From my view, it is poor management, in any endeavor, to allow non-contributors to remain on the payroll. Roster management is no different. Guys that aren't going to cut it need to be cut themselves, as there are infinite ways in which that person(s) can harm the organization, unintentionally or otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

If they are hard workers but just suck at football, then I suppose there's not much harm in keeping them if it helps APR (I have no idea how that works). If they are a locker room cancer, then process them, even if it hurts APR.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, AP101S said:

If they are hard workers but just suck at football, then I suppose there's not much harm in keeping them if it helps APR (I have no idea how that works). If they are a locker room cancer, then process them, even if it hurts APR.

That was my thinking. If they work hard and are good locker room guys, but we know they'll never see the field...  BUT, they are also on the Dean's list and help our APR (somebody like Charles Wright), then let em stay. Somebody has to play school. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

From my view, it is poor management, in any endeavor, to allow non-contributors to remain on the payroll. Roster management is no different. Guys that aren't going to cut it need to be cut themselves, as there are infinite ways in which that person(s) can harm the organization, unintentionally or otherwise.

This.  Just because you are under 85 doesn't mean you need non-contributors on scholarship. There are walk-ons that love football for that role.  And non-contributors may very well be good friends with starters and a shit influence.

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A quality edge… just makes opposing offenses have to go through the trouble of making sure they are going to run the right direction to gain 10 yards off tackle.

Yep. Everyone knows the defense has the most room for improvement but one solid edge player alone wouldn’t get us that far. If Mathis was a game changer like Ossai, then he’d have more of a point, but Mathis isn’t that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Actually they averaged around 10 off one side and around 4 on the other according to Babers.  We all know that Collins and Ojomo can play the strongside in a pinch. No need to ignore the results from last year. 

Edited by Codaxx

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Momma has been thoroughly enjoying herself on Twitter the last few days

This is their Hats On The Table moment. 

If he wasn’t highly recruited out of high school, then he never got this spotlight moment. 

And if he’s not likely to make it to the NFL, then taking a big NIL package and choosing a school that might keep him involved with promotions after this year might matter the most… no sé. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Napoleon

41 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Does processing them affect our APR?

Depends on their GPA when they leave the program.  

When a transferring athlete has a GPA of 2.60 or higher, their team can receive an APR “adjustment” so that they won’t lose the retention point for that athlete. As a result, that team’s APR won’t be negatively impacted by the athlete’s transfer.

https://informedathlete.com/how-the-academic-progress-rate-apr-can-affect-an-athletes-ncaa-transfer

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's going to take at least a year to recover - he could go on medical now and then transfer next season to another school and play, no?

I don't think anyone is going to take a guy with a year or two of eligibility who hasn't been able to do a strength and conditioning program for three years. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You guys can gloat all you want about dead weight and poor performers leaving the program, but with Dixon hitting the portal.... we are most likely never going to hear Lowell utter the name "Moochie" ever again. 

Pour Some Out GIFs | Tenor

That would make me happier

• Hook 'Em 1

You guys can gloat all you want about dead weight and poor performers leaving the program, but with Dixon hitting the portal.... we are most likely never going to hear Lowell utter the name "Moochie" ever again. 
pour-one-out-for-the-homies-olde-english800.gif

After hearing him call Duvernay “Duveryay”, I really don’t give a shit if I ever hear him say anything again.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)