What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

23 hours ago, Bernard said:

Late to the game, but the Grotto shooting sure looks like a professional hit. Dead cop was a narc. Plenty of bad guys out there with motive. 5:15 PM. Westheimer at 610. I can’t think of worse place to commit a random robbery. Also, there must have been five other guys on that same patio that would look like easier and more affluent marks to any crook.

My first thought was the dead cop did something stupid like try to grab his own gun, but witnesses say different. Buddy of mine ate there tonight. Spoke to manager. Manager said perps yelled, “Hands up.” Cop and friend complied. Then shooting started. No video camera coverage of the patio.

Bernard

how the hell do you pull the get away in that area, at that time ???

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

not a fan, but why that area ?

Still close enough to get to Greenway Plaza for the new 3 day “in office” work week, 15 extra minutes to Galveston, and on the right side of town to get me down to South Texas. Ten more years before we’re way tf out of here. 

• Like 2

Quoted for truth.  That stretch is soul-killing. 

So is the vast majority of 1960. Especially Cypress Station to Champions. Half vacant run down strip malls occupied by nail salons, dry cleaners, head shops, and cell phone repair shops. Chain restaurant after shitty chain restaurant. And you are probably just as likely to get shot.

56 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So is the vast majority of 1960. Especially Cypress Station to Champions. Half vacant run down strip malls occupied by nail salons, dry cleaners, head shops, and cell phone repair shops. Chain restaurant after shitty chain restaurant. And you are probably just as likely to get shot.

This. As someone who currently works off of 1960 and Red Oak a few days a week (and was born at Houston Northwest Hospital and grew up off Veterans Memorial), 1960 is an absolute fucking shell of what it used to be in its heyday in the 80s

• Like 1

1960 and all the communities along it will be great after the decline-dead-gentrification cycle that will complete in approximately 40 years. 

Cool, cool. I’ll likely will be sitting on my front porch in a small town in southern Brazil yelling at clouds. If raising two daughters doesn’t kill me first.

3 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Yet another freeway shooting, this one near the I-45 / Hardy Tollway intersection at 11:40 AM Sunday morning August 22.

Piece of shit shot 2 people in the face.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/woman-takes-photo-of-man-moments-before-he-shot-her-and-husband-on-north-fwy-hpd-says/

Paper license plates, of course.

As bad as parts of the Inner Loop are, parts of the outer loop are worse. A few years ago the official marked off Fifth Ward district had zero murders, while the areas north of the loop and adjacent to Fifth Ward had about a million. The Fifth proper's population is aging and the city seems to have a long-range plan to gentrify by just letting olds die off and then seizing properties for delinquent taxes and bulldozing them...In ten or 20 years it will be another Midtown. I am a poor and I am thinking about buying a lot in a sort of Hamsterdam inside the Loop. Nobody lives there anymore, but there is a lot of action in the vacants....Artists are moving in though and lots have doubled in the last years or so from about $15k to $30k. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

As bad as parts of the Inner Loop are, parts of the outer loop are worse. A few years ago the official marked off Fifth Ward district had zero murders, while the areas north of the loop and adjacent to Fifth Ward had about a million. The Fifth proper's population is aging and the city seems to have a long-range plan to gentrify by just letting olds die off and then seizing properties for delinquent taxes and bulldozing them...In ten or 20 years it will be another Midtown. I am a poor and I am thinking about buying a lot in a sort of Hamsterdam inside the Loop. Nobody lives there anymore, but there is a lot of action in the vacants....Artists are moving in though and lots have doubled in the last years or so from about $15k to $30k. 

The Fifth will gentrify, but Jesus H. Christ is it scary down there right now. We looked a beautiful, restored, historic home down there and just couldn't do it. 

Sitting on a lot though, that sounds like a pretty good investment. 

Yet another freeway shooting, this one near the I-45 / Hardy Tollway intersection at 11:40 AM Sunday morning August 22.
Piece of shit shot 2 people in the face.
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/woman-takes-photo-of-man-moments-before-he-shot-her-and-husband-on-north-fwy-hpd-says/
Paper license plates, of course.
It's the damn toll road that makes you crazy.

Been out to Laporte a few times this week and came back via the toll road. The 225 and Toll road exit is a Mack Brown special clusterfuck. The cops shut down part of the frontage for shell employees to exit(bullshit, imo). So you get people exiting 225 for the toll road, people trying to get on 225 and the cops are making it worse.

Then the fucking bridge is two lanes and I had the privilege of getting stuck twice behind some twats that wanted to cruise in the left hand lane. By the time you get to the expansion, you have a severe case of road rage-itis. If I didn't know any better or didn't have shit to live for, I probably would have shot one of them ho's
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's hard to keep up with all of them because they seem to be happening damn near every day, but this road rage incident from a few days ago seems to have slipped through the cracks. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/08/21/man-shot-killed-while-driving-on-the-east-freeway-with-his-kids-in-the-car-police-say/

Amazing that an 8 yr old and a 6 yr old somehow managed to safely maneuver a vehicle off of I-10 and stop it at a place where they could get help. 

For my fellow H-town peeps: 

lets-be-careful-out-there-hill-street-bl

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You may be aware, but there's a pretty bad cancer cluster in the Fifth Ward, particularly near the old Union Pacific railyard. I'm not sure that area will be seriously gentrifying any time soon.

You may be aware, but there's a pretty bad cancer cluster in the Fifth Ward, particularly near the old Union Pacific railyard. I'm not sure that area will be seriously gentrifying any time soon.

Is that the old creosote plant?

Yes. It’s just west of Lockwood where it goes over the tracks. I have some protest photos from last year regarding the whole situation.

Hell, I should just dump all my Houston as fuck photos in here.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I still love it... for some reason.  Probably because I don't go places often.

Like any big city, there are some good areas and bad areas.  But it seems it's nearing 50/50 now.  

Definitely love this city too.  Great areas and places, especially restaurants.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes. It’s just west of Lockwood where it goes over the tracks. I have some protest photos from last year regarding the whole situation.

Hell, I should just dump all my Houston as fuck photos in here.

You need to publish a coffee table book of your photos.  They all remind me of iconic Texas Monthly photos.  

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:23 PM, Bernard said:

Houston is shifty, so I’ll move somewhere shittier???? Nice logic. 🙂

Bernard

There was aggy that read a report (most likely the report was read to him and translated with no words more than two syllables) that indicated 97% of traffic accidents people were involved in happen within 3 miles of their own home. 

So, aggy moved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the 5th Ward is gentrifying extremely slowly.  Still no national chain grocery stores, although there is a Walgreens and nice new CVS.  As expected, its happening around the edges first, and its hit or miss.  The townhomes that are going in are not like the townhomes near Old Hempstead Highway.  I am just going to pick a handful of photos that show what the area is like. Some of these are a decade old and the structures may or may not be there anymore.  I would guess that the majority of people on Surly typically don't go cruising around the 5th Ward, so maybe this gives you an idea of what it is like...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This hooker just got her ass whooped by either her pimp or a john.  Her face was bloody and she was trying to flag down a car to get away.  I didn't have the right lens for the job on my camera, but I was trying to capture the moment.  Nothing much my buddy and I could do.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

UP creosote protests...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aerial of a crime scene...likely a shooting since its roped off.  A couple of years ago the previous owner of this gas station was murdered in the parking lot after closing up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah 5th ward is easily the most hood part of Texas. That shit wont be like midtown or even near-northside till the early 2100s

The 5th ward could eventually become more like the 3rd ward over the years. The 3rd ward residents are trying to keep gentrification to a minimum, but Midtown will eventually expand to the 3rd ward.

Thanks y’all. I started documenting that area a little over a decade ago. It started when I was documenting train graffiti at the Englewood Yard. But now I am more interested in the area than the graffiti or trains.

I don’t know if the 5th Ward is anymore good than say Sunnyside, but it is rough. Only thing in the US I have seen that is worse was the Lower 9th Ward in NOLA in 2011. It is interesting and on some level sad when you see a beautiful house with an immaculate yard in the middle of this shit. Obviously someone had the money to buy a house there and took pride in that. Two doors down is a crock house.

If you want to watch some shit go down, sit across the street from this blue house for a few hours and keep your eyes open.

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/t2FDHizfNmNrocBR7

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Thanks y’all. I started documenting that area a little over a decade ago. It started when I was documenting train graffiti at the Englewood Yard. But now I am more interested in the area than the graffiti or trains.

I don’t know if the 5th Ward is anymore good than say Sunnyside, but it is rough. Only thing in the US I have seen that is worse was the Lower 9th Ward in NOLA in 2011. It is interesting and on some level sad when you see a beautiful house with an immaculate yard in the middle of this shit. Obviously someone had the money to buy a house there and took pride in that. Two doors down is a crock house.

If you want to watch some shit go down, sit across the street from this blue house for a few hours and keep your eyes open.

Dropped pin

I kinda like the idea of a crock house.  Always something scrumptious simmering away.  Come up the walk, knock on the door, get a to-go cup of something delicious.

A new business venture is brewing here...(see what I did there?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I kinda like the idea of a crock house.  Always something scrumptious simmering away.  Come up the walk, knock on the door, get a to-go cup of something delicious.
A new business venture is brewing here...(see what I did there?)

Hahahaha. Awesome. Man, I feel like my Apple autocorrect is on another level. I should just stop posting.
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dropped pin

Ever been to the Silver Slipper? Old music club that’s a vestige of Frenchtown, the Fifth’s old Creole neighborhood. When Uber came to Houston a few of us finally braved it - really cool place, though the crowd was blown away that a couple of white guys stumbled in on a Saturday. 

• Like 3

Ever been to the Silver Slipper? Old music club that’s a vestige of Frenchtown, the Fifth’s old Creole neighborhood. When Uber came to Houston a few of us finally braved it - really cool place, though the crowd was blown away that a couple of white guys stumbled in on a Saturday. 

I’m not really a nightlife person. Especially after having two kids. But I know the spot. I often pull into their parking lot while cruising the area to check email and what not. I have several shots along Crane. Good on you for checking it out though. Most people would be scared to death to go there.