What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Uhh, holy shit.

I drove past there on the way to dinner. I swear every cop car, ambulance, and fire truck in the city were in the parking lot. And, you're going to be shocked by this, but Mopac was backed up for miles.

Are we assuming someone was having a heart attack and tried to drive themselves to the ER?

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

I drove past there on the way to dinner. I swear every cop car, ambulance, and fire truck in the city were in the parking lot. And, you're going to be shocked by this, but Mopac was backed up for miles.
Are we assuming someone was having a heart attack and tried to drive themselves to the ER?

That’s my thought, but they haven’t provided much other than the driver is dead and several were transported to other hospitals.

My Jr UT Nursing student (no pics) has an "externship" (whatever the hell that is) at St. David's North in....the Emergency Department.  She has only gone through orientation so far but her first 7am-7pm shift is this Sunday.  Should be interesting.  

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

John Kelso was seemingly the only Austinite who was powerful enough to take her on, and she still didn't bite.  A very weird lady.  She ruined a lot of lives in that neighborhood.

Can you (or anyone else familiar) elaborate on this some more?  I grew up nearby and was about 12 years old when it closed down, which was one of my first conscious WTF moments in life.  I remember my Dad telling me about the evil veggie lady, but my childhood brain could not make sense of why someone would purposefully wreck something that everyone else enjoyed so much. 

We used to have breakfast there most weekends, I remember there was an cool old lady who was one of the servers (I think Sally maybe was her name?).  Also a very underrated CFS in addition to the burgers and other staple items.

Can you (or anyone else familiar) elaborate on this some more?  I grew up nearby and was about 12 years old when it closed down, which was one of my first conscious WTF moments in life.  I remember my Dad telling me about the evil veggie lady, but my childhood brain could not make sense of why someone would purposefully wreck something that everyone else enjoyed so much. 
We used to have breakfast there most weekends, I remember there was an cool old lady who was one of the servers (I think Sally maybe was her name?).  Also a very underrated CFS in addition to the burgers and other staple items.

Jeanne Daniels inherited Tarrytown Shopping Center from her parents in 1999. The property has been in her family since her ancestor Elisha Pease was governor.

She is a vegan and values animals and didn’t renew the leases of all businesses that profited from their suffering. This included neighborhood staples Holiday House, The Grocery, Formosa, and Texas French Bread. Her management (handled by Adler’s wife) eventually led to Tarrytown Pharmacy and Broaddus Chevron voluntarily leaving.

She was supposedly unpopular when she was a student at Austin high back in the day.

She is rumored to give favorable leases to animal friendly establishments in the complex, such as vegan brewpub the beer plant, Austin pets alive, and the now closed rabbit food grocery (phone number 666-TOFU).

She’s a fuckin’ dumb cunt and I’ll have a huge cheeseburger the day I hear she’s finally croaked.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Here’s some pictures from inside Holiday House.

6a0bf2f49bbcb2b45599b0bb8dd6d684.jpg

77151c6d0b029110bf587a969c05c283.jpg

To be honest, I never went... and I know nostalgia and stuff but man that screams old people and a depressing meal to me.  I'm probably talking out of  my ass (as usual) but I don't get the love for Luby's either so there's that...

image.png.13ab1289a578211e03c41fa72db725f5.png

Paywall for me but https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-terror-of-tarrytown/

Besides, she might have added, she’s willing to inconvenience herself too for the greater good. In 2002, for instance, she ripped the leather off the seats of her brand-new, $92,000 Mercedes-Benz CL500 and sent it to PETA, which had activists in cow suits personally deliver the shreds to DaimlerChrysler’s corporate offices in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and Stuttgart, Germany.

Glad to see she made sure those cows didn't die needlessly.  

37 minutes ago, texasdago said:

To be honest, I never went... and I know nostalgia and stuff but man that screams old people and a depressing meal to me.  I'm probably talking out of  my ass (as usual) but I don't get the love for Luby's either so there's that...

Holiday House was nothing like Luby's.  I'd say it was somewhere between Jim's and Top Notch.

Now that I look at it and think about it, I think those are from when it was the short lived vegetarian place after holiday house. Nouveau?

Holiday house had all that cowboy shit all over the walls. Like Spurs and brands and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Now that I look at it and think about it, I think those are from when it was the short lived vegetarian place after holiday house. Nouveau?

Holiday house had all that cowboy shit all over the walls. Like Spurs and brands and whatnot.

All I know is my ass hurts looking at those laminate booths

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Hey Maufrais, what's the name of that restaurant you liked with all the cowboy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks? 

"Shenanigans?  You guys talking about Shenanigans?!?"  

2 hours ago, royiv said:

That’s after the big remodel in the mid/late 80’s when they made it all fancy. 

Holiday House in its prime was pretty unique.  Airport Blvd location with the awesome fish tank, Burnet Road with emus, and of course Charlie the alligator on Barton Springs.  Fun times as a kid.

30 minutes ago, Mittens said:

if you ever find yourself dating a vegan, or otherwise needing a vegan spot to eat, this place is actually pretty good.

Yeah, I dunno what the fuck we're talking about anymore on here and it's certainly not gonna win any Michelin Stars.  But I've given that vegan gastropub or whatever the fuck pretentious nomenclature they use a few chances and it's pretty damn good.  I haven't been there sober yet, but it was really good and the staff was cool and easy parking and all that.  Or maybe we're all just fucking idiots and haven't noticed a connection between the delicious "meat-free" dishes there and the decreasing lack of dogs next door at that boarding/grooming place.  DON'T ORDER THE SCHNITZEL FOLKS, THEY'RE USING SCHNAUZER! /winger

Maybe it was informative earlier and I missed it, but this news conference currently taking place is hilarious. The dork in the bow tie has no business being up there, and the Public Information Officer answered 6 straight questions with “I/We do not know”. The sole function of a PIO is to disseminate information

A few years ago bozo blamed me for being a Bob and Todd fan because I said that the "official" homeless count from the CoA was obvious bullshit.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/austin-homeless-population-estimates-data-texas

AUSTIN, Texas - New data shows a much larger homeless population in Austin than previously estimated.

According to Austin ECHO, a January 2023 point-in-time count indicated a homeless population of about 2,300 people.

The Austin Homeless Strategy office presented new data from ECHO in which the non-profit estimated in October there were about 6,600 homeless people in the city.

• Hook 'Em 4