What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

On 8/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, utee94 said:

YARN | Bijan for men? | Friends (1994) - S02E02 The One With the Breast  Milk | Video clips by quotes | 8961b0a8 | 紗

i'm more of an "Hombre for Men" type of guy.

8 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, even the new Polvo's adjacent to the mall sucks. 

That is the strangest real estate play I've seen in awhile and I follow bad real estate decisions for a living (in part).  The past two restaurants lost their asses on that space because of the high NNN.  So current landlord at least got wise and tried to attract a "tex-mex" place that could turnkey off of Abuelo's and not give away the farm on T.I.'s.  But nobody goes there, as per usual.  The model of "hey, the two anchor stores that face our restaurant 500 yards away so that people would see us they leave the foodcourt and stop in for lunch" are a defunct Sears and a J.C. Penney that's about to shutter.  Have you ever walked out of a J.C. Penney, past three empty specialty shops in a shitty concourse and thought, "Oh hey, it's only 103 degrees out...let's walk over to that mexican restaurant way over there."  Polvo's pulled the financials on that Cheesecake Factory and California pizza Kitchen and learned that both stores are only propped up by their corporate bloodline.  As stand-alones, neither one has enough revenue to make 6 months of rent, let alone flip a buck.  So what does Polvo's do, sign a multi-year lease with the option pre-paid.  I'm not saying it's money laundering.  But it's not, not money laundering.  

7 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

I do love that at least one media outlet played it as "a mass shooting / stabbing event right in the heart of Westlake".  That place is a rotting cesspool, and I would bet most Westlake citizens steer clear of the mall, much like a true Longhorn avoid Oklahoma and Arkansas.

To be fair, it's not the clientele.  It's just a dying model with overpriced shit and no amenities or attractions.  The only smart thing they've done in there is put that in that sports bar kiosk deal by the food court so men can watch shit on TV on the weekends while families shopped.  Anthropologie is moving in later this Autumn and at their price/foot, considering how catalog/web-heavy their model is should last maybe 2-3 years.  So of course they signed a 5-year lease on a mall that will be lucky to exist by the end of this decade.  And it's not in "westlake."  That's not really a place, I don't understand how that term caught on, that's just the name of the high school.  There's a West Lake Hills town.  And Barton Creek Square is located in the City of Austin.  And the City of Austin's plans for the eventual demise of that mall are fucking baffling to me and going to send that entire area into a justified shit-fit.  

Also Polvo's sucks.  But their ceviche is good.  And then Vaquero's.  Shit.  And nearby Las Palomas.  Shit.  And nearby Texican Cafe.  Shit.  When the best mexican food in the area is Lupe Tortilla, that should be a sign.

Oh come on man, people have called that area "Westlake" since at least my high school years, which were before you came to Austin, so I'm not sure why it would bother you, it's been happening for 40+ years. It's obviously a shortened form of West Lake Hills.

Next you're going to complain about the pronunciation of Man-shack and Gwad-a-loop or something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh come on man, people have called that area "Westlake" since at least my high school years, which were before you came to Austin, so I'm not sure why it would bother you, it's been happening for 40+ years. It's obviously a shortened form of West Lake Hills.

Next you're going to complain about the pronunciation of Man-shack and Gwad-a-loop or something.

I don't mind the shorthand of "Westlake" for "West Lake Hills"  But so much of that part of town is just Austin, or even Rollingwood.  I just don't get why it needs to be labeled as "Westlake" most of it isn't in West Lake Hills.  I think it's just people who want to claim that as their part of town even though it's not.  two fun facts I learned were that something like 70% of Westlake High School students don't live in West Lake Hills.  They live in Austin or Rollingwood.  And that 40%+ of Austin residents are not zoned for AISD.  

Also, it's "Menshack" now, not Manchaca (sp?).  I was down south last weekend to trade some fishing lures with this guy down there.  And my phone alerted me like ten times about "the name of your route has changed" and hadn't seen the new street name online I guess.  Then I'm leaving his place to get on onto Mopac and what was supposed to be Davis Lane, but it was labeled "Deer Lane" just south of his house.  Then magically turned into Davis again a few blocks later.  Whole trip weirded me the fuck out.  He asked what part of town I lived in.  I said "South Austin, too."  And he gave me the "Oh one of those crazy hippies, eh?"  And I'm looking around like, "dude, you're more in South Austin than I am, what the fuck?"  Instead, what I said was, "Nah, I'm not really interested in trading you these lures for that crate of Tejano 45's.  But the fishing pole we agreed to sounds like a good deal, I'll even throw in the tackle box I brought the stuff in."  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

And the City of Austin's plans for the eventual demise of that mall are fucking baffling to me and going to send that entire area into a justified shit-fit. 

Talk about burying the lede. You need to expand on this! And I agree with ztejas. I've lived in the hood since 92 (20 years in West Lake Hills proper; shoutout to Mayor Anthony) and before that went to the movies at the building where the Mall Polvos is now (that was sliding down the hill into the Mopac row before being demolished), and it's always been known as being in Westlake. And while I haven't checked lately, Dillards used to own their premises in fee simple like they do in many other regional malls, so I assume that's going to throw a wrench into any redevelopment plans. And I'm really waiting to see what B&O do with Brodie Oaks. That's a cool looking project if they can pull it off. 

Edited by ftf82
Punctuation and whatnot

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I don't mind the shorthand of "Westlake" for "West Lake Hills"  But so much of that part of town is just Austin, or even Rollingwood.  I just don't get why it needs to be labeled as "Westlake" most of it isn't in West Lake Hills.

Because West Lake Hills IS a town separate from Austin, as is Rollingwood.  They have their own government and police department, and don't have to deal with the BS Austin politics.

Yeah, like I said there's a city called "West Lake Hills" and a city called "Rollingwood."  There's no place called "Westlake."  The shorthand is just weird to me.  But it's been that way for decades so I'm fine with it.  Just internet banter.  It annoys me mainly with City of Austin services.  When I take brush or hazardous chemicals or whatever to the various disposal sites, I give them my zip code and they warn me that they can't take things from residents outside the City of Austin.  I get solicitations from people running for AISD board that I cannot legally vote for because our own dipshit city leadership doesn't realize almost half its residents don't live in AISD.  I used to get accused of fraud when serving on a City of Austin commission because they didn't think I lived in Austin despite my voter roll.  It's fucking annoying.  I live in the City of Austin.  I pay City of Austin property taxes.  God bless election volunteers, but I've been turned away at city bond ballots/initiatives because the people see my zip code on my license and can't be bothered to see that right before that number it clearly says, "Austin, TX."  People can call it "Westlake" (not that we live there, we're in a more modest part of town closer to MoPac), but when you have officials claiming, "Well, you're in Westlake, not Austin proper." It's fucking annoying.  Particularly because nobody, zero people, live in a place called "City of Westlake."  Plus I look Mexican which further confuses people.  /rant

To the Barton Creek Square thing---Simon and the City of Austin are up to some end game and now we've got Eanes ISD possibly involved with Sears.  I'll post back when I know a bit more later this month.  

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

When I take brush or hazardous chemicals or whatever to the various disposal sites, I give them my zip code and they warn me that they can't take things from residents outside the City of Austin.

That is BS.  The Austin Recycle center takes for all of Travis County.  I make an annual run for dropping off all the odds and ends TDS won't take (e.g. batteries, paint, etc.) although I haven't tried the brush drop-off.  They used to take it at the reuse center, but now you have to drive to Hornsby Bend to drop off any brush, and it's a good 45 minute drive to get there, so I'll pay the 15 bucks to drop it off at TDS.

Now the one that irks me: City of Austin will pay to put in a rain capture system on your property, and will plant trees on your property.  I would really like to see all the wasteful spending we have on the tax-payer dime and start trimming some fat (looking at you, homeless services).  Ain't no way we're spending more per homeless individual than we are on anyone else in this county.  But the homeless services division is thriving in City hall, and we have 2 hotels that are slated for homeless shelters, but 2 years later they're rotting on the foundations.

Well this years ago.  But it's that hazmat place off of Burleson/Todd in that industrial park.  I took a buncha shit after I DIY'd half our house.  Gave my zip code on the paperwork and guy said I wasn't in Austin.  Was in work attire so forgot my wallet and had to have wife text me a photo of DL with Austin address.  I honestly can't remember if it was because part of our zip code is in Hays County or because part of our zip code is also Rollingwood.  Anyway, not a big deal but between people thinking it's in "westlake" and then other people thinking we're in AISD, just gets annoying ever now and again.  I used to use that brush dropoff place down by the TDS facility.  They would run my address to see if I could get the discounted fee.  I kinda wanted to tell all of 'em, "I'm a dark skinned guy in a beat-up 10 year old pickup truck doing his own manual labor in August.  What the fuck part of that screams 'Westlake' to you?"     

Speaking of long-term housing programs, anybody notice how much air time the Home Depot site on IH-35/290 is getting lately?  City of Austin quickly pivoted from the Zilker park development debacle to bragging about work is finally progressing on site prep for affordable housing at the Saint John's shitshow that has sat vacant since 2008 (IIRC?).  I'm taking odds on when any kind of legit demo/renovations will even begin.  And before we take those bets, I'll come right out and say, I promise you any such steps will be delayed by the fact that the City of Austin will fuck up reading its own code/zoning restrictions on any initial attempt at refurbishments.  Right outta the gate.  

I was today years old when I learned that twenty-something clothier Abercrombie & Fitch used to be an old dude outfitter.  I will be tomorrow's year old when I creepily attempt to tell that to the sales girl working there to earn extra cash for her sorority dues.  

I got over my hangup of avoiding that mall like the plague in the last few weeks because wife got some crazy good discounts on back to school shit for the kids.  And this is really the first year that they've both been of school age, and we could shop without Covid, etc.  So it was kinda cute to take them through that old school rite of passage.  But I remembered how much I hate malls and indoor groups of people.  But Barton Creek Square is just a weird phenomenon.  The concourse by Nordstrom is putting in two premium-brand stores while at the same time, shuttering 3-4 storefronts.  The whole JC Penney/Sears wing is siphoning tenants.  As stated above, Dillards has a special carve out on both its anchor spots which helps it and I think Macy's has a similar arrangement.  But not sure on that.  What I am sure of is that parking lot has seconds to live.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was today years old when I learned that twenty-something clothier Abercrombie & Fitch used to be an old dude outfitter.  I will be tomorrow's year old when I creepily attempt to tell that to the sales girl working there to earn extra cash for her sorority dues.  

I got over my hangup of avoiding that mall like the plague in the last few weeks because wife got some crazy good discounts on back to school shit for the kids.  And this is really the first year that they've both been of school age, and we could shop without Covid, etc.  So it was kinda cute to take them through that old school rite of passage.  But I remembered how much I hate malls and indoor groups of people.  But Barton Creek Square is just a weird phenomenon.  The concourse by Nordstrom is putting in two premium-brand stores while at the same time, shuttering 3-4 storefronts.  The whole JC Penney/Sears wing is siphoning tenants.  As stated above, Dillards has a special carve out on both its anchor spots which helps it and I think Macy's has a similar arrangement.  But not sure on that.  What I am sure of is that parking lot has seconds to live.

Ask ArmyBrat...

Abercrombie & Fitch "The Red Gods Call" 1913 Catalog - Spinoza Rod Company

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/downtown-austin-businesses-pitch-in-to-hire-private-security/

In efforts to deter things like illegal drug activity and unruly behavior near Sixth and Brazos Street downtown, a group of businesses – including Stream Realty, the Littlefield Building and The Driskill – have hired private security guards to patrol the sidewalks, according to Stream’s attorney Richard Suttle.

“The best news I’ve heard in four years,” Jesse Fortney, owner of Gnar Bar, said. Gnar Bar is near the intersection where security guards are patrolling.

IN-DEPTH: Challenges of hiring private security for downtown Austin businesses

The businesses hired the guards from Next Level Security. The guards patrol the intersection of Sixth and Brazos from the corner to the alleys.

KXAN spoke with one of the guards off camera, who said their primary goal is to break up large groups of people experiencing homelessness who gather on the street.

The Austin Police Department said it has been made of “several areas where quality-of-life crimes are occurring,” and such discussions have led the department to implement more high-visibility operations in impacted areas.

Private security guards are not subject to the same use-of-force privileges as sworn officers.

When responding to such situations, which primarily involve people experiencing homelessness, police said officers connect individuals with available services.

“Some building managers and owners have expressed needing constant security in these areas,” the department said in a statement. “APD cannot commit these resources to certain areas 24 hours a day/seven days a week, and is aware that some business owners and managers are opting to hire private security to ensure their businesses are protected.”

Texas DPS has new focus on downtown Austin patrols

Suttle said the private security has already made an impact. The guard KXAN spoke with said they have the capacity to ask people to move, but have to tap APD or DPS if situations escalate.

“We’ve done quite a bit to advocate for a safer situation here on Brazos Street,” Ben Marullo, who lives near Sixth and Brazos, said. “The city was not effective in keeping our community safe.”

He welcomes the security presence, but said he’s disappointed private money had to fund it.

Fortney echoed that sentiment.

“It’s sad that private money has to do it,” he said.

Fortney said he and his customers already feel safer outside his bar.

“A small chance of hope for business owners and people walking around,” he said.

Council Member Zo Qadri, whose district includes downtown, said public safety is “very important” to his office.

“Talked to many businesses and residents that have reached out to our office, sat in on a lot of meetings with business owners,” he said. “It’s not anything that we take lightly.”

Qadri addressed APD’s years-long staffing shortage, and said he believes the quickest fix to downtown safety is securing another long-term police contract with the Austin Police Association.

When KXAN asked Qadri his thoughts on businesses resorting to using their own money to hire private security, he said “I think the concerns they have are valid.”

“I think it’s unfortunate,” Qadri said.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/downtown-austin-businesses-pitch-in-to-hire-private-security/

In efforts to deter things like illegal drug activity and unruly behavior near Sixth and Brazos Street downtown, a group of businesses – including Stream Realty, the Littlefield Building and The Driskill – have hired private security guards to patrol the sidewalks, according to Stream’s attorney Richard Suttle.

“The best news I’ve heard in four years,” Jesse Fortney, owner of Gnar Bar, said. Gnar Bar is near the intersection where security guards are patrolling.

IN-DEPTH: Challenges of hiring private security for downtown Austin businesses

The businesses hired the guards from Next Level Security. The guards patrol the intersection of Sixth and Brazos from the corner to the alleys.

KXAN spoke with one of the guards off camera, who said their primary goal is to break up large groups of people experiencing homelessness who gather on the street.

The Austin Police Department said it has been made of “several areas where quality-of-life crimes are occurring,” and such discussions have led the department to implement more high-visibility operations in impacted areas.

Private security guards are not subject to the same use-of-force privileges as sworn officers.

When responding to such situations, which primarily involve people experiencing homelessness, police said officers connect individuals with available services.

“Some building managers and owners have expressed needing constant security in these areas,” the department said in a statement. “APD cannot commit these resources to certain areas 24 hours a day/seven days a week, and is aware that some business owners and managers are opting to hire private security to ensure their businesses are protected.”

Texas DPS has new focus on downtown Austin patrols

Suttle said the private security has already made an impact. The guard KXAN spoke with said they have the capacity to ask people to move, but have to tap APD or DPS if situations escalate.

“We’ve done quite a bit to advocate for a safer situation here on Brazos Street,” Ben Marullo, who lives near Sixth and Brazos, said. “The city was not effective in keeping our community safe.”

He welcomes the security presence, but said he’s disappointed private money had to fund it.

Fortney echoed that sentiment.

“It’s sad that private money has to do it,” he said.

Fortney said he and his customers already feel safer outside his bar.

“A small chance of hope for business owners and people walking around,” he said.

Council Member Zo Qadri, whose district includes downtown, said public safety is “very important” to his office.

“Talked to many businesses and residents that have reached out to our office, sat in on a lot of meetings with business owners,” he said. “It’s not anything that we take lightly.”

Qadri addressed APD’s years-long staffing shortage, and said he believes the quickest fix to downtown safety is securing another long-term police contract with the Austin Police Association.

When KXAN asked Qadri his thoughts on businesses resorting to using their own money to hire private security, he said “I think the concerns they have are valid.”

“I think it’s unfortunate,” Qadri said.

i also think it's unfortunate that with the police presence we have downtown, and i'm just talking apd and no other agencies, we cannot control our own downtown streets. there's no excuse for it. you can talk personnel shortage all you want, downtown hasn't been policed since...ever. you can sense when the street is getting edgy. so can the cops. then why not intervene before the fight or take intervention steps to prevent a fight, by, oh, being fucking present?

the central police station is blocks away from this area. it's RIGHTNEXTDOOR to the arch. and yet, that's been an open air prositution and drug market for nearly a decade now.

also, uh, guys, policing doesn't always have to mean "arresting." you can prevent crime, too, you know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

According to this guy, Austin is about to have a 16% increase in rental units come online in the next year. Not sure how many are classified as affordable. 

Well if that guy sitting in the Ikea furniture and fake plants says it, I guess it gonna happen.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

... the arch... been an open air prositution and drug market for nearly a decade now.

I am amazed the City hasn't forced ARCH to move somewhere not a block from a central entertainment district.

If a city builds an open air shed to hang rotten meat year round, then it can't be surprised that flies swarm the area and never fucking leave.

Get rid of ARCH and you address much of the bullshit in that area.

Edited by crash_davis

I don't mind the shorthand of "Westlake" for "West Lake Hills"  But so much of that part of town is just Austin, or even Rollingwood.  I just don't get why it needs to be labeled as "Westlake" most of it isn't in West Lake Hills.  I think it's just people who want to claim that as their part of town even though it's not.  two fun facts I learned were that something like 70% of Westlake High School students don't live in West Lake Hills.  They live in Austin or Rollingwood.  And that 40%+ of Austin residents are not zoned for AISD.  
Also, it's "Menshack" now, not Manchaca (sp?).  I was down south last weekend to trade some fishing lures with this guy down there.  And my phone alerted me like ten times about "the name of your route has changed" and hadn't seen the new street name online I guess.  Then I'm leaving his place to get on onto Mopac and what was supposed to be Davis Lane, but it was labeled "Deer Lane" just south of his house.  Then magically turned into Davis again a few blocks later.  Whole trip weirded me the fuck out.  He asked what part of town I lived in.  I said "South Austin, too."  And he gave me the "Oh one of those crazy hippies, eh?"  And I'm looking around like, "dude, you're more in South Austin than I am, what the fuck?"  Instead, what I said was, "Nah, I'm not really interested in trading you these lures for that crate of Tejano 45's.  But the fishing pole we agreed to sounds like a good deal, I'll even throw in the tackle box I brought the stuff in."  

Rollingwood is not relevant. Its Westlake. You say a QB is from Rollingwood. They say “huh, wat?” You say Westlake…they say “white boy with high floor”

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I took my ten-year-old daughter to Barton Creek Square about six months ago for a pair of shoes.   As we walked down one of the main pathways, a 20-something-year-old piece of shit walking with his buddy leans over and screams as loud as he can directly into my daughter's ear for no reason.  A physical altercation ensued involving me and the two assholes. Security did eventually show up, but it was all over by that point. 

Malls are dead.  Long live (outdoor) malls.  I guess.  Shit can happen anywhere, but that place is a dump and, like malls always have, attracts young people with nowhere else to go.  And in any crowd of young people, you're going to find some troublemaking dipshits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Because West Lake Hills IS a town separate from Austin, as is Rollingwood.  They have their own government and police department, and don't have to deal with the BS Austin politics.

When I think West Lake government, I think a well run efficient machine that understands how to manage difficult problems, by segregating itself from poverty and persons of color, targeting suspicious vehicles and persons who dont belong, and planning a community with septic systems.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Well yeah, the football team and it's QBs  at the "westlake high school" program are certainly relevant.  Even if the kid was raised in the little town of Rollingwood.  But of course you're known, as an athlete, by your high school name...not the name of your HOA or municipal taxation district.    My point continues...there's a high school called "Wastlake High School", there's a school district called "Eanes" and most of the people attending those institutions live in the City of Austin.  There's more people at Westlake High School between students and staff than there are people in the City of West Lake Hills.  

It's just not that hard to call a place by its proper name except apparently in Texas.  Your kids go to Westlake High School.  Cool.  You live in Austin.  Cool.  Just own that.  I don't see why it's so difficult.  I guess I say "south Austin" and that's just a bridge too far.

9 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I took my ten-year-old daughter to Barton Creek Square about six months ago for a pair of shoes.   As we walked down one of the main pathways, a 20-something-year-old piece of shit walking with his buddy leans over and screams as loud as he can directly into my daughter's ear for no reason.  A physical altercation ensued involving me and the two assholes. Security did eventually show up, but it was all over by that point. 

Malls are dead.  Long live (outdoor) malls.  I guess.  Shit can happen anywhere, but that place is a dump and, like malls always have, attracts young people with nowhere else to go.  And in any crowd of young people, you're going to find some troublemaking dipshits. 

What day was this and what time were you walking in of which store/concourse?  People that age should not talking to kids your daughter's age like that.  If you don't want a digital record of it, I totally get it.  And you sound like a great, protective father.  But all that to say, you want...that kid will never know because he likely doesn't remember the encounter.  But he'll never know proper employment or non-assisted breathing for the rest of his life.  

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What day was this and what time were you walking in of which store/concourse?  People that age should not talking to kids your daughter's age like that.  If you don't want a digital record of it, I totally get it.  And you sound like a great, protective father.  But all that to say, you want...that kid will never know because he likely doesn't remember the encounter.  But he'll never know proper employment or non-assisted breathing for the rest of his life.  

It was on the top floor after leaving a shoe store.  I don't want to write anything further in case any more comes of it.   Thank you for the offer, but I can assure you he and his buddy remember the encounter well and will not likely ever forget it.

The fucked up personality required to assault a kid is bad enough, but the stupidity to do it right in front of her father (who is not a marshmallow) is the part that has always stuck with me as the most insane.  Dad strength is real.  Don't fuck with it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Shit, good catch.  Wastelake.  Rule of unintended consequences and Freudian slips and all that .

No, don't live in Westlake.  Or West Lake Hills.  Just South Austin, where the taxes are high and the Mom's are higher.  

Come on man. You live in rollingwood. Your wl hate is righteous. But it can’t reach the depths of us “scrubs” that came up through AISD. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3

Man,  I wish I could afford Rollingwood.  The homes/acreage that people buy over there just to tear down to then build another $4mm home on top of it.  Must be nice.  No, we're slumming it further south towards Campbell's Hole.  City of Austin mailing address with a homeless camp nearby and irregular water service to boot.  I'm thankful as a half-mexican sephardic Jew to be this close to downtown and good schools but it ain't the pasty-white Westlake that Porterhouse promised me.  

• Haha 1