What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Guess I won't be going paddle boarding anytime soon.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/swimmers-itch-austin-water/269-5b7eabae-a401-4f8a-8f5a-d573a9200b4d

AUSTIN, Texas — These hot temperatures mean people are heading out to our local lakes. And while people seem to swarm the lakes during the summer, one microscopic parasite also gets quite active this time of the year.

"It's a little parasitic organism," said Brent Bellinger with the City of Austin's Watershed Protection Department. "It's generally, it's leaving a snail and it's looking for another host. It could be a duck or something else."

While the parasite is looking for a new host, sometimes it encounters humans.

"It burrows a little bit into our skin, and it dives just below the surface of the skin, causing the irritation," Bellinger said.

That irritation is called "swimmer's itch," and it's more common during the summer months.

"As part of its life cycle, you're seeing more of those little parasites in the water," Bellinger said.

Those with more sensitive skin could get a large rash throughout their body.

"Any time you enter a natural water body, you know, recognize these aren't swimming pools," Bellinger said. "You always want to towel off, rinse off, shower off immediately after swimming. And that goes for your pets [too]. Make sure that you clean their fur if they are in the water."

On 7/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, crash_davis said:

Guess I won't be going paddle boarding anytime soon.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/swimmers-itch-austin-water/269-5b7eabae-a401-4f8a-8f5a-d573a9200b4d

AUSTIN, Texas — These hot temperatures mean people are heading out to our local lakes. And while people seem to swarm the lakes during the summer, one microscopic parasite also gets quite active this time of the year.

"It's a little parasitic organism," said Brent Bellinger with the City of Austin's Watershed Protection Department. "It's generally, it's leaving a snail and it's looking for another host. It could be a duck or something else."

While the parasite is looking for a new host, sometimes it encounters humans.

"It burrows a little bit into our skin, and it dives just below the surface of the skin, causing the irritation," Bellinger said.

That irritation is called "swimmer's itch," and it's more common during the summer months.

"As part of its life cycle, you're seeing more of those little parasites in the water," Bellinger said.

Those with more sensitive skin could get a large rash throughout their body.

"Any time you enter a natural water body, you know, recognize these aren't swimming pools," Bellinger said. "You always want to towel off, rinse off, shower off immediately after swimming. And that goes for your pets [too]. Make sure that you clean their fur if they are in the water."

Every time I cross one of the bridges downtown and see that mass of humanity sitting on paddleboards on Town Lake I just laugh and shake my head. So disgusting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Every time I cross one of the bridges downtown and see that mass of humanity sitting on paddleboards on Town Lake I just laugh and shake my head. So disgusting. 

If you get upstream from where Barton Creek enters Town Lake, it's nice. It's basically the same water as Lake Austin. The further west you go on Town Lake, the cleaner the water.

I wasn't looking forward to the stank ass water, but daughter really wanted to go kayaking on Town Lake the other day.  I hate going out in the water when it's filled with all this crap, but I wanted to encourage her sense of the outdoors.  But literally the day before, she was on the news that story about more dogs getting sick/dying from being in Town Lake and all the bacteria/algae.  So she declared no kayaking or paddleboarding until next year.  I happily agreed.  

When I still ride by bike around the trail, I see some asshole hipster or frat bro park his Jeep, get his arctic-bred snow dog out of the back who is just happy to not be on hot asphalt back at the apartment complex parking lot where he pees most of the time.  Dog is already panting to death and they haven't even started playing fetch yet.  Then the owner, to garner attention, starts tossing the ball or stick into town lake for the dog to go grab.  Owner thinks he's being cool for getting the dog some cool waves.  Meanwhile, dog's thick coat just traps all that filth and bacteria that the dude won't wash off for a week.  Some dog owners are fucking morons.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

The trustees for this 'uber-effective' shitstain of a state agency will fuck this up, have no fear.  And be prepared to stare at that McDonald's tear-down eyesore for at least two more years.  Hard to believe when there a jack--the-box there, that was a better overall intersection.  What a weird fucking part of South Austin.  And not in a good way.

Bastrop, hope like hell.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop/home-evacuations-underway-due-to-bastrop-wildfire/

BASTROP, Texas (KXAN) — First responders said they’re working Tuesday afternoon to evacuate homes as a “precautionary measure” because of a wildfire burning near Bastrop State Park.

The fire, which is now called the Powder Keg Pine Fire, is estimated at 30 acres and is 10% contained, according to the Bastrop County Office of Emergency Management.

'Powder Keg'?  You know we get to name the wildfires, right?  Adult men and women get together and name the fires.  You don't just lean into the burning embers and they crackle and whisper to you, 'Call me Powder Keg.'  

It’s because one of the building is a small arms manufacturer and it’s full of ammo and gun powder because TEXXXASS fuck y’all.

Don't worry guys. I'm sure that stupid fucking sign bar will buy one of the sculptures and you can go sit across from it while drinking a $13 margarita and overhearing two douchebag transplants from Chicago talk about which bar on Rainey Street they've gotten the most ass at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Do we have a general "APD is full of fucksticks" thread? Lulz at putting out a tweet praising the "brave officers"  who showed up and did their fucking job. Its a miracle they made it home to their families after braving the Crestwood Lowes. Goddman heroes, I tell ya. I hope the Lowe's employee that actually helped the gal got all of their autographs. 

42 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Do we have a general "APD is full of fucksticks" thread? Lulz at putting out a tweet praising the "brave officers"  who showed up and did their fucking job. Its a miracle they made it home to their families after braving the Crestwood Lowes. Goddman heroes, I tell ya. I hope the Lowe's employee that actually helped the gal got all of their autographs. 

Tell me you were in the car they stopped, without telling me you were in the car they stopped...