Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

OU in the next 12 years has an open spot for Okie State and has offered to schedule them. They only have series with Michigan, Nebraska, and Clemson over that same time period. Joe C has been told by Okie State that they don’t want to play it and he doesn’t want to rock the boat.

Oklahoma State has only a single power 5 opponent booked 11 of the next 13 years (ArkansasX4, and home and homes with Bama, Oregon, Nebraska, and Colorado). To their credit they aren’t your regular bullshit opponents, but Gundy doesn’t want to play OU. The series is so lopsided and it has ruined their chances at major bowls multiple times. I understand their position and why they are adamant on blaming OU, but anyone with half a brain can see they are using this to their advantage.

Neither has a power 5 opponent scheduled in 2031. The fact that they didn’t immediately put something on the books tells you everything you need to know.

This.

Gundy and Okie State being bitch ass is a prime example of why Texas and OU are leaving in the first place.  OSU has a great chance to build a TV brand here.  They could play a helmet school every year in prime time on Thanksgiving weekend.  It would help build their brand.  It would help with recruiting.  It would sell tickets.  Instead, they'll keep scheduling Tulsa and directional Missouri schools.  That tells you a lot.

Texas and OU begged these schools to schedule better and help with the brand and they didn't.  OSU is just showing one example.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

The butthurt is strong with this one. K State has lost 6 straight to Texas and Texas also leads the all time series over Iowa State by 10 games. What a fucking tool. Ole boy is just mad because he knows the Big 12 ratings will collapse once Texas and ou leave 

Yeah k-state guy is butthurt... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Screenshot_20230713-121307_kindlephoto-9906301.thumb.png.d455e46c6a089e89e4ee2742ee1fcf5a.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah k-state guy is butthurt... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Screenshot_20230713-121307_kindlephoto-9906301.thumb.png.d455e46c6a089e89e4ee2742ee1fcf5a.png

All of the K-State media is so salty towards Texas. I really don't know why, they just all love to hate on us. Maybe it is because we completely ignore them? Either way, it is easy to see that this guy is a bitter Bowlsby holdover who got pantsed on a national stage for being incompetent and asleep at the wheel. John Kurtz openly hates Texas as well, and he is an arrogant little twat waffle who thinks K-State is some national power. 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Point taken. However, I for one wish we would continue to play you guys. I like your fan base. Y'all are friendly and chill af

Agreed on the fan base portion.  Matt Campbell on the other hand has become quite a little bitch.  His antics I'm sure are easily looked passed by his fanbase but it's a really bad look to the opposition.

14 hours ago, Crockett said:

Sure did. Compared to staying in the MWC, we made more money, had way more exposure, had better schedules/opponents, and it made the move to the Big 12 easy with no exit fees. And we won the Pac 12 conference in 2021.

That's actually a good point regarding the exit fees that I hadn't considered. I strongly disagree that BYU gained any additional exposure. It was not getting marquee match-ups or prime TV spots a la Notre Dame which speaks to the fact that BYU simply doesn't have the huge following that many of its fans think it does. It's a passionate fanbase, but it's very niche and very concentrated in the Western US.

Edited by royiv
Damn autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Great post, and right on the money.

All the old Texas fans - which includes the guys making the decisions for UT today - remember the last 8-10 years of the SWC.  It was the early years of cable TV, and conferences were figuring out that Notre Dame didn't have to be the only school getting big $$$ for TV rights.  The kind of money that conferences were getting in the late 80's is small potatoes compared to today's massive deals, but at the time, it was still an eyebrow-raising step up in the college football ante. 

Texas fans found themselves in a league with a 1-state footprint and a bunch of schools with small followings and very little bargaining power.  It sent us into a death spiral.  Recruits were leaving the state in droves, in favor of OU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and the SEC schools.  Recruits wanted to play in the venerable stadiums filled with 90K fans, not in Ownby or Robertson.

I mean, if Texas didn't care about winning anything on a national level, that was a perfectly sustainable business model.  But if Texas aspired to be a perennial top-10 team, it's definitely not.  It wasn't then, and it isn't now.

I would have been perfectly happy in the original iteration of the Big 12, but as the mid-sized public schools (Mizzou, Aggies, Colorado) peeled away and Nebraska collapsed (and blamed Texas for all their woes), our league literally started re-creating the SWC.  It's not sustainable.  We've seen how that ends for us - watching our home-state talent shun Austin, and watching schools with a lot less valuable brands getting bigger $$$$ because they're in better leagues.  

And Mitch is right - the school most responsible for a decade of Texas' on-the-field bed shitting is Texas.  In the time where this conference realignment continued, we had Mack mailing it in for YEARS before handing off the reins to a couple of clowns.  

Finally, as for former Kansas State AD Tim Wieser and the rest of the Big 12 officials taking these laughably bitchy shots at us like spurned 14-year old girls:  Texas is going to be just fine.  No, "we might as well lose to Alabama" was not the logic in Austin.  It was more like "we are not going to be able to compete with Alabama as long as we are yoked to 10 shitty also-ran schools in shitty nowhere towns like Manhattan Kansas that are run by shitty also-ran chucklekfucks like Tim Wieser (his psychology degree from Emporia State not withstanding)."  And also "we aren't going to be able to compete with Alabama and their SEC money in this modern-day recreation of the gasping, wheezing SWC.

Clearly it hurts his feelings that his school hasn't beaten us since three presidential administrations ago, so he's just pretending like they're on the other end of this winning streak.  

He's going to be really disappointed to see a re-energized Texas program.  The jury is out on whether Sark is going to be able to harness that energy the same way Mack did in his first decade, and whether Sark can likewise turn those advantages into a perennial 10-win program.  But there's no doubt that Austin is going to be buzzing with excitement and recruiting momentum over the next few seasons.

great overview. Only thing I'd add is that UT in the SEC is in a much better position to manage the chaos that will ensue (and protect itself) once states begin to pull their universities out of the NCAA.

7 minutes ago, royiv said:

That's actually a good point regarding the exit fees that I hadn't considered. I strongly disagree that BYU gained any additional exposure. It was not getting marquee match-ups or prime TV spots a la Notre Dame which speaks to the fact that BYU simply doesn't have the huge following that many of its fans think it does. It's a passionate fantasy, but it's very niche and very concentrated in the Western US.

You haven't followed BYU much I can tell.  BYU played more prime-time/marquee matchups as an independent then they did in any conference they were in.  Believe what you want about BYU's national following, none of us couldn't care any less.

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, FartingDreamer said:

You haven't BYU much I can tell.  BYU played more prime-time/marquee matchups as an independent then they did in any conference they were in.  Believe what you want about BYU's national following, none of us couldn't care any less.

You keep responding so you obviously care. And you're right, I haven't followed BYU much lately because they've been irrelevant on the national stage.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Not sure why Texas gets all of the hate while Oklahoma doesn't as well?

49 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

the kid in the yard eating dirt is looked upon more with pity than vitriol... 

This but also OU very slyly let Texas take most of the heat for the SEC move, did the yokel "Oh well we just gotta go along with this..." and the media largely ate that shit up.

the special fun GIF by The Special Without Brett Davis

I mean can you really stay mad at cousin cooter?

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

Most of the conference is aggies so they latch on to what the Texas aggy always chirps about UT destroying conferences. OU will catch plenty of shit this fall.

5 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

You haven't followed BYU much I can tell.  BYU played more prime-time/marquee matchups as an independent then they did in any conference they were in.  Believe what you want about BYU's national following, none of us couldn't care any less.

That is the point. Nobody follows BYU. Why are you BYU fans so obsessed about telling us how popular you are?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Plorant said:

Agreed on the fan base portion.  Matt Campbell on the other hand has become quite a little bitch.  His antics I'm sure are easily looked passed by his fanbase but it's a really bad look to the opposition.

Never the one to have any info whatsoever... But in this case ... Per the big 12 refs, Campbell is the most annoying and whiniest of the coaches in the league.

• Hook 'Em 3

Cheesus, I sometimes forget how reactive this place can be sometimes. Bedlam will get played again eventually, probably not annually, but it’ll happen from time to time. He said the exact same thing several months ago in response to OU homers asking him about it as though all he has to do is pick up the phone, otherwise he must be “ducking” them, because if it’s not scheduled immediately, I guess it’ll never happen, and it’s solely osu’s fault. His response is factual, bedlam is ending because ou is moving to the sec. He’s also said he understands the move. He’s also correct that our noncon is booked for the next 5-6 years, and we have Oregon, Arkansas, Alabama, and Nebraska scheduled for future years. SEC only recently said they’ll play 8 conference games and it’ll definitely be 9 eventually. It’s not as simple as just saying “hey let’s play” especially with the money involved these days with scheduling and networks. Just slow your fucking rolls for a sec.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Cheesus, I sometimes forget how reactive this place can be sometimes. Bedlam will get played again eventually, probably not annually, but it’ll happen from time to time. He said the exact same thing several months ago in response to OU homers asking him about it as though all he has to do is pick up the phone, otherwise he must be “ducking” them, because if it’s not scheduled immediately, I guess it’ll never happen, and it’s solely osu’s fault. His response is factual, bedlam is ending because ou is moving to the sec. He’s also said he understands the move. He’s also correct that our noncon is booked for the next 5-6 years, and we have Oregon, Arkansas, Alabama, and Nebraska scheduled for future years. SEC only recently said they’ll play 8 conference games and it’ll definitely be 9 eventually. It’s not as simple as just saying “hey let’s play” especially with the money involved these days with scheduling and networks. Just slow your fucking rolls for a sec.

If there was a will on OSU’s part to continue the series, it would continue. South Dakota State can be bought out or moved. The series is off for now because OSU is choosing to use OU’s conference move as an excuse to get out of an annual beat down. You sound either fatuous or disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Just admit the truth. The money from playing OU easily buys out much of the trash games OSU schedules. It’s OK to admit you don’t want any part of OU, even when they’re down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

OU in the next 12 years has an open spot for Okie State and has offered to schedule them. They only have series with Michigan, Nebraska, and Clemson over that same time period. Joe C has been told by Okie State that they don’t want to play it and he doesn’t want to rock the boat.

Oklahoma State has only a single power 5 opponent booked 11 of the next 13 years (ArkansasX4, and home and homes with Bama, Oregon, Nebraska, and Colorado). To their credit they aren’t your regular bullshit opponents, but Gundy doesn’t want to play OU. The series is so lopsided and it has ruined their chances at major bowls multiple times. I understand their position and why they are adamant on blaming OU, but anyone with half a brain can see they are using this to their advantage.

Neither has a power 5 opponent scheduled in 2031. The fact that they didn’t immediately put something on the books tells you everything you need to know.

That's pretty aggy of them if true. 

Edited by Bevo14

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

OU isn't offering a home and home.  They're offering a permanent home and home, basically what Florida/Florida State and Clemson/South Carolina have.  OSU is saying no because they have Tulsa or whoever booked.  If Michigan or Ohio State offered that same deal to OSU, they'd say yes before the verbal offer was finished.  Since it's OU, they're saying no.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

OU isn't offering a home and home.  They're offering a permanent home and home, basically what Florida/Florida State and Clemson/South Carolina have.  OSU is saying no because they have Tulsa or whoever booked.  If Michigan or Ohio State offered that same deal to OSU, they'd say yes before the verbal offer was finished.  Since it's OU, they're saying no.

Where was this reported? James Hale.com?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Where was this reported? James Hale.com?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/big-12/2022/09/20/bedlam-football-ou-oklahoma-state-to-end-when-sooners-join-sec/69506634007/

OU would sign up for this series tomorrow.  OSU can't break future games against Tulsa and other directional schools.

Some programs want to build brands.  Some don't.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/big-12/2022/09/20/bedlam-football-ou-oklahoma-state-to-end-when-sooners-join-sec/69506634007/

OU would sign up for this series tomorrow.  OSU can't break future games against Tulsa and other directional schools.

Some programs want to build brands.  Some don't.

Wut?

“We’re moving on, they’re moving on,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione told The Oklahoman on Tuesday. “Moving on well down the road may open up opportunities to schedule home-and-home in consecutive years, where it doesn’t work in the early years.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wut?

“We’re moving on, they’re moving on,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione told The Oklahoman on Tuesday. “Moving on well down the road may open up opportunities to schedule home-and-home in consecutive years, where it doesn’t work in the early years.

Yes he’s not rocking the boat until the move is complete, but here is what he said just after it broke per an OSU site.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/ou-president-ad-say-sooners-want-to-continue-bedlam-after-sec-move/

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said it ought to keep going like with rivalries between Iowa and Iowa State, and Florida and Florida State — schools from the same state but in different conferences.

Both Castiglione and OU president Joe Harroz made mention that the Sooners intend to be in the Big 12 until the media rights deal is up in 2025, though that has been disputed, but when it ends, OU’s leadership says it wants Bedlam to stay.

We want the Bedlam rivalry to continue well past the expiration of this media rights agreement,” Harroz said. “Make no mistake, we want the Bedlam rivalry to continue. Even with this change, we want to play Oklahoma State in every sport in every year.”

16 hours ago, Plorant said:

Matt Campbell on the other hand has become quite a little bitch.  His antics I'm sure are easily looked passed by his fanbase but it's a really bad look to the opposition.

8 hours ago, Nabad said:

Never the one to have any info whatsoever... But in this case ... Per the big 12 refs, Campbell is the most annoying and whiniest of the coaches in the league.

Fuck this dude.....here is what is going to happen:

The Big 12 has awarded 623 conference championships, regular season and tournament, in all sports. 302 (48.5%) of those have been won by OU and Texas. OU and Texas are #1 and #2 in number of conference titles won and if you take away equestrian which neither team competes in it’s 302 of 612 (49.3%).

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

1. Whenever someone says it's not about the money, it's always about the money. I don't think it was the only factor, but it certainly wasn't a coincidence that Texas and OU bolted shortly after seeing that the new Big 12 TV contract was going to be a kick in the nuts. The dollars were certainly not trivial and falling further behind the SEC (and a second rate program like A&M, especially) wasn't going to fly.

Exactly this. We can make more money and get better tv contracts in the SEC. ESPN has milked the SEC as their cash cow over the last decade and people can't get mad or blame Texas and Oklahoma for wanting to get in on the deal. Just like with USC and UCLA bolting for the B1G. It's always about money and who has the better contracts that benefit you. 

19 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

18 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

This but also OU very slyly let Texas take most of the heat for the SEC move, did the yokel "Oh well we just gotta go along with this..." and the media largely ate that shit up.

the special fun GIF by The Special Without Brett Davis

I mean can you really stay mad at cousin cooter?

18 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

the kid in the yard eating dirt is looked upon more with pity than vitriol... 

Oklahoma let Texas take the charge on negotiating deals to move to the SEC and they took the sly approach in convincing everyone that basically they and Texas are an arranged marriage so you don't get one without the other and the media ate that shit up. 

On 7/13/2023 at 7:33 AM, TrashMaster G said:

“The Bedlam game is over because OU chose to leave the Big 12. Do I like that? No,” Gundy said. “All Oklahoma had to do was not go to the SEC.”

Gundy must be 50 now, because he's a g'damn genius, I tell ya!

He's not wrong.  Also the reason we haven't played aggy in over 10 years.

On 7/13/2023 at 7:47 AM, Longboard Horn said:

The butthurt is strong with this one. K State has lost 6 straight to Texas and Texas also leads the all time series over Iowa State by 10 games. What a fucking tool. Ole boy is just mad because he knows the Big 12 ratings will collapse once Texas and ou leave 

Also a lot of truth to this, for aggy and now for us.

Jesus. Fuck.

We're re-litigating the stupid fucking Bedlam football thing again?

Facts: OU ended the Bedlam series in all sports by leaving the Big 12. The rest is he-said/she-said bullshit.

Has anyone here ever happened to notice that when new non-conference series between P5 schools are scheduled it is typically done a decade or more in advance, barring like a one-off game at Jerry World or something?

I don't care what the fuck anyone says, Bedlam football will return, likely some time in the mid-2030s. I'm actually looking forward to it, mostly so whiney OU people will shut the fuck up about it.  It's funny how much time/effort/energy they put into complaining about not getting play a "non-rival", lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:57 AM, 'stache said:

Last I read, the new Big 12 teams will be making more than $30M per year, and the last numbers I saw from AAC payout per team was like $7M per year. So no, there is no real comparison as far as interest and ratings which is what the media companies are paying for.

Serious Question 

I’ve seen someone post non-TX/OU opponent TV ratings. And they look fine. But is it possible that some of those TV ratings are influenced by the Texas/OU fan bases watching those games because of conference standing implications. Is there possibility of a significant drop off? Or are they mainly from their respective TV markets?

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Facts: OU ended the Bedlam series in all sports by leaving the Big 12.

I know things are probably not finalized yet, but I'm sure I've heard from multiple sources that regular OU/OSU matchups will occur yearly in all sports except football.