Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

After witnessing Alabama fans do the the horns down with glee, I'm starting to think the SEC may end up being more like the Big 12 than we think. 

True on that.  But for most SEC teams, they have other teams they care about more.  Besides Okie, Ags and Arky.  

LSU is going to care more about Bama.  Bama has several others they care about more.  Same with every other school.  

They won’t be preparing for us in the summer.  Or holding out questionable players the week before so they’re healthy for us.  They won’t make their season by beating us.  We are currently a jihad game for the other 9 of 9 teams in the Big 12.  We won’t be for 12 of the other 15 teams in the new SEC.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

True on that.  But for most SEC teams, they have other teams they care about more.  Besides Okie, Ags and Arky.  

LSU is going to care more about Bama.  Bama has several others they care about more.  Same with every other school.  

They won’t be preparing for us in the summer.  Or holding out questionable players the week before so they’re healthy for us.  They won’t make their season by beating us.  We are currently a jihad game for the other 9 of 9 teams in the Big 12.  We won’t be for 12 of the other 15 teams in the new SEC.  

Give it a few years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU's played 2 consecutive night games on ESPN, both against teams that will be in the Big 12 next year.

I get you're doing a bit, but try harder.

ESPN, not Fox, or ABC. And the week before, ISU was on streaming against Baylor. The only “bit” is the one where ISU fans are going on about being Texas’ rival, circling the date along with the Iowa game. 

Let it keep you warm at night. After Saturday, win or lose, we’ll remember the Cyclones less than we remember SMU. 

“Oh, Iowa State! We used to play them.”

“Yeah? Where are they?”

“Somewhere in Iowa…Sioux City? River City? Something like that”

Edited by statsman

On 11/13/2023 at 5:02 PM, DanTheHorn said:

I hope the SEC makes note of this stupidity. So if OSU, OU and K State finished tied with 2 loses each then K State goes to the BIG XII championship game even though OSU beat the two teams they are tied with in the standings.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/big-12-update-even-after-blowout-loss-osu-can-still-big-12-championship-game-here-are-the-scenarios/

https://www.on3.com/college/oklahoma-sooners/news/unaware-clarification-tiebreaker-rules-big-12-championship-texas-longhorns-kansas-state-wildcats/

Clown conference

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I’d bet that even before we play all the SEC teams, we’ll be in every team’s top 2 or 3 hated opponents. It won’t get a whole lot easier for Texas in that regard. 

• Hook 'Em 3

ESPN, not Fox, or ABC. And the week before, ISU was on streaming against Baylor. The only “bit” is the one where ISU fans are going on about being Texas’ rival, circling the date along with the Iowa game. 

Let it keep you warm at night. After Saturday, win or lose, we’ll remember the Cyclones less than we remember SMU. 

“Oh, Iowa State! We used to play them.”
“Yeah? Where are they?”
“Somewhere in Iowa…Sioux City? River City? Something like that”

ISU fans don’t consider Texas a rivalry. They just want to win the last game badly. Don’t confuse the two. But sure, one dumb lineman is an ambassador for the whole fanbase.

You can tell me how little you care about the Big 12, yet all you do is post about it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I will be so glad to be in a conference where only maybe 3 teams consider us their super bowl and we are just another team for the other 9.

Texas has a winning record over every SEC team but Vandy. Sorry to inform you, but we're still going to be Texas, even in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU fans don’t consider Texas a rivalry. They just want to win the last game badly. Don’t confuse the two. But sure, one dumb lineman is an ambassador for the whole fanbase.

You can tell me how little you care about the Big 12, yet all you do is post about it.

the irony of this post from an absolute nobody speaking for ISU about how little they care about Texas, yapping about how much Texas fans post about the Big 12 on a Texas message board where this ISU chud has ten thousand fucking posts, all while acting like actual players in the game have no room to speak.

You just "want to win the last one?" Then what the fuck was the exigence for your other nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine posts?

• Hook 'Em 2

He is an ambassador for your team. He is parroting what he hears from your coach. Texas is one of your two biggest games. 

Maybe for our coaches. Our fans will be jacked, but it’s not because we think Texas is a rivalry game.

If you polled the fanbase with “you can only win one game this year, who is it?”, you’d get 70% Iowa, 25% K State, 5% Other.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And you can tell us how little you care about Texas but yet you have over 10k posts on a Texas board.  You have some solid posts but you are one of the most thin skinned and defensive posters here.   Very Jekyll and Hyde. 

I hope we get to play the ISU that lost to Ohio

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe for our coaches. Our fans will be jacked, but it’s not because we think Texas is a rivalry game.

If you polled the fanbase with “you can only win one game this year, who is it?”, you’d get 70% Iowa, 25% K State, 5% Other.

I can believe you, but Jarod didn’t mention KSU. Texas has slipped over the last ten+ years, and become vulnerable, and teams like ISU, OSU, TCU, etc. have taken advantage of it to score some high profile wins. Teams can really focus (game planning and player intensity) on 2-3 games per year, and a lot of B12 teams have decided Texas would be one. 

That’s fine, the games are played to see who is better, but these same teams haven’t taken care of other business. They lose to Ohio, or S. Alabama, and so, if Texas wins, there really isn’t anything for Texas. 

Texas feels like Gulliver, waking up to find out that the Lilliputians that he thought were friends decided they would rather work together to tie him down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Side note- I remember when WVU joined the B12. They entered saying that they needed a rival, and had decided to select Texas. That was certainly smarter than picking OU, at the time (wins would come easier), and certainly more fan recognition than any of the schools in between. 

CDC admits that TCU focused (focuses) on Texas. The same equations yield the same results for too many schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I enjoy some of your stuff Al, but Texas is #2 only behind Iowa.

Your OG's comments are accurate.

Says the bot who constantly bumps the "Tell Me About Iowa State" thread with inane, pointless links to things that no one here gives any semblance of a fuck about.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And you can tell us how little you care about Texas but yet you have over 10k posts on a Texas board.  You have some solid posts but you are one of the most thin skinned and defensive posters here.   Very Jekyll and Hyde. 

I hope we get to play the ISU that lost to Ohio

It's almost like most of those posts are on subjects that have little to do with Texas sports, and this message board encompasses an extremely broad range of topics and has scores of posters who are here for reasons that have tangential connections to Texas sports, at best.

But you knew that.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's almost like most of those posts are on subjects that have little to do with Texas sports, and this message board encompasses an extremely broad range of topics and has scores of posters who are here for reasons that have tangential connections to Texas sports, at best.

But you knew that.

You’re a good guy, and I apologize if it seems like I’m posting at you. When I write these out, I do it with a combination of dislike for Yormark, Campbell, et.al., mixed with a dispassionate observation of how things will be going down. 

17 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I will be so glad to be in a conference where only maybe 3 teams consider us their super bowl and we are just another team for the other 9.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2019/07/19/a-study-says-the-university-of-texas-is-a-rival-to-the-most-teams-in-the-country/

apparently 11 schools consider is their main rival.  Duke is second.  

2 hours ago, statsman said:

You’re a good guy, and I apologize if it seems like I’m posting at you. When I write these out, I do it with a combination of dislike for Yormark, Campbell, et.al., mixed with a dispassionate observation of how things will be going down. 

It's cool, I don't think you're targeting me personally FWIW.  But it seems like you have a particular fixation on the future Big 12 and are wishcasting a level of demise that's unlikely. 

I get the impression most Texas fans don't really care about what happens to the Big 12 going forward, and that's based on how there's only a handful of them posting in the Big 12 related threads.  So when the same 5-6 keep popping on the topic, I assume they must be somewhat emotionally invested in that outcome.

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’d bet that even before we play all the SEC teams, we’ll be in every team’s top 2 or 3 hated opponents. It won’t get a whole lot easier for Texas in that regard. 

The thing about the SEC is that there are more teams like Texas that get everyone's extra attention.  Maybe not rivals, but any time OU or Texas or 'Bama or Georgia or LSU come to town, the faithful will be extra amped. The benefit to there being so many top targets is that you won't always get their best shot, because it's impossible/exhausting to get "up" that often during the season.

In the Big XII it was Texas and OU and that was all. Maybe Nebraska back when they were still Nebraska, but we slayed that giant.

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The thing about the SEC is that there are more teams like Texas that get everyone's extra attention.  Maybe not rivals, but any time OU or Texas or 'Bama or Georgia or LSU come to town, the faithful will be extra amped. The benefit to there being so many top targets is that you won't always get their best shot, because it's impossible/exhausting to get "up" that often during the season.

In the Big XII it was Texas and OU and that was all. Maybe Nebraska back when they were still Nebraska, but we slayed that giant.

Nebraska was the game we always got the most jacked up for.  Not that I would call it a rivalry because it was pretty one-way.

Everyone who isn't the biggest guy, always wants to beat the biggest guy.  It always surprises me that Texas fans seem caught off guard by this/miffed about it.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nebraska was the game we always got the most jacked up for.  Not that I would call it a rivalry because it was pretty one-way.

Everyone who isn't the biggest guy, always wants to beat the biggest guy.  It always surprises me that Texas fans seem caught off guard by this/miffed about it.

I don't think any Texas fans that really pay attention are miffed by it.  There are just elements to it that get tiresome.  Like, how many times a year do we have to listen to stories about Random State's budding superstar who is extra motivated this week because big bad Texas didn't offer him a scholarship and he grew up with VY posters on his wall...

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't think any Texas fans that really pay attention are miffed by it.  There are just elements to it that get tiresome.  Like, how many times a year do we have to listen to stories about Random State's budding superstar who is extra motivated this week because big bad Texas didn't offer him a scholarship and he grew up with VY posters on his wall...

Yeah, that makes sense. 

I just see all this pearl clutching about what our dipshit lineman said, taking it to mean ISU thinks this is a rivalry blah blah blah.  Texas is a huge brand.  They're leaving the league.  It's the last time we'll play.  Both teams need to win to make the CCG.  It's senior day. 

If anyone didn't think this game would have extra juice, they don't understand the basic psychology of sports, IMO.  

12 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We are

there was a tweet a few weeks ago asking who is the most hated in the new SEC—Alabama was #1 and Texas was #2

Joey Bosa Video GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Isn't that part of being the "Joneses"? Same as being hated by so many. That only happens to big dogs. There's no real basis to hate on Purdue or Vanderbilt, but UT, LSU, Bama, USC, all have a significant amount of haters. When ISU stormed the field after beating OSU in 2011, a part of me took a little pride that we had finally reached a level of success that beating us was that big of a deal.  As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I laugh at the obsession of fans that hate so damn much. It's just part of being on top (which does not require on field success but more big brand success). 

At this point Texas should literally just embrace it....we know, everyone knows it. No need to be upset....our teams just need to prepare with that in their head. I'm sure the past 10 years hasn't helped our players have that full mentality yet but you're starting to see it this year and should see it more moving forward. It won't change in the SEC....every team will just want to "welcome" us.

Oh you didn't get an offer out of HS to play at Texas? Tough shit, lets go kick their ass and show him why he didn't kind of thing.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Isn't that part of being the "Joneses"? Same as being hated by so many. That only happens to big dogs. There's no real basis to hate on Purdue or Vanderbilt, but UT, LSU, Bama, USC, all have a significant amount of haters. When ISU stormed the field after beating OSU in 2011, a part of me took a little pride that we had finally reached a level of success that beating us was that big of a deal.  As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I laugh at the obsession of fans that hate so damn much. It's just part of being on top (which does not require on field success but more big brand success). 

The point is the SEC has a bunch of Joneses.  Be nice to be among them and not just two out of twelve.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Big 12 can't get their tiebreaker rules straight until mid-November, but by God, they get the important shit done:

Well they do already allow opposing OL to choke hold and body slam so it fits.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, that makes sense. 

I just see all this pearl clutching about what our dipshit lineman said, taking it to mean ISU thinks this is a rivalry blah blah blah.  Texas is a huge brand.  They're leaving the league.  It's the last time we'll play.  Both teams need to win to make the CCG.  It's senior day. 

If anyone didn't think this game would have extra juice, they don't understand the basic psychology of sports, IMO.  

We knew we would be getting it from everyone this year.  That was exactly why Sark started the "Embrace the Hate" thing.

Some of our fans my forget that or are possibly just tired of it.  The other repeated story this year is the opposing coach with the "Our fans have told me if I can only win one game this year...".

That's not happening with ISU, but it's all variations on a theme.

I also got the sense that beating Kansas State is of greater importance to Iowa State fans than beating Texas is from my few months of living in central IA. 

It made what that lineman said even more curious because they're going to Manhattan next week to face a tough KSU team for Farmageddon.

Edited by Atticus

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

I also got the sense that Kansas State was definitely of bigger importance than Texas to Iowa State fans from my few months of living in central IA. 

It made what that lineman said even more curious because they're going to Manhattan next week to face a tough KSU team for Farmageddon.

KSU is a much bigger game to our fanbase.  It's an actual rivalry.  I mean, how laughable is it that ISU fans would consider Texas a rival?  It's patently ridiculous when viewed through any definition of rivalry.  That doesn't mean they aren't jacked for the game.

People are reading way too much into the comment of one dumb college kid.

Losses suck! I’ll add that the miffed part, is that after beating Texas, they shit the bed somewhere else on their schedule. Waisted effort. See OSU after OU this past couple of weeks as an example. Great W, followed up by WTF?

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get the impression most Texas fans don't really care about what happens to the Big 12 going forward, and that's based on how there's only a handful of them posting in the Big 12 related threads.  So when the same 5-6 keep popping on the topic, I assume they must be somewhat emotionally invested in that outcome.

Have you visited the aggy thread lately?  It's not that they are emotionally invested in the Big 12 demise per se, it's just that we love a good old fashioned dumpster fire, which is the Big 12 as of late.

They got a belt and everything!

The partnership with WWE adds to the Big 12's push to modernize and connect with a younger audience. Hip-hop star Nelly will perform at halftime.

Country Grammar slaps, but not sure if it’s for this generation.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Big 12 can't get their tiebreaker rules straight until mid-November, but by God, they get the important shit done:

What the actually fuck

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38913428/big-12-wwe-pairing-hands-title-belt-conference-championship-mvp

Edited by hornbri

1 minute ago, PvilleStang said:

Have you visited the aggy thread lately?  It's not that they are emotionally invested in the Big 12 demise per se, it's just that we love a good old fashioned dumpster fire, which is the Big 12 as of late.

The tiebreaker thing was embarrassing, but we survived where the PAC did not, so "dumpster fire" isn't exactly the right term. Going forward we'll even be more stable than the ACC because we don't have an FSU/Clemson/UNC faction with legitimate interest from the SEC/BIG and who will leave the second they can. Utah is about the only program that seems to think they are above the Big XII but in reality they are not so they aren't any threat to leave and have no basis to complain like FSU which has a legitimate beef getting less revenue that UCF for the next 13 years under their contract. 

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

WWE, Lulz. Imagine being over the age of 12 and still giving a shit about professional wrestling. 

Honestly surprised the Big 12 did this before the SEC or even the Big 10.  To be fair, most of the demographics of all three conferences fan bases line up with pro wrestling.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Except for aggy and Piggie, it will be unusual for a team to play even 3 of those 5 in a single year. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor