Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Second paragraph is me.  OU and Texas hung in and supported the left overs as long as they possibly could.  While team after team bailed.  All the hate after the decision did make it easier.  

The hate existed waaaaay before the decision.  The decision really has nothing to do with the hate at all.  Really don't feel any differently about either program.

Texas fans just developed an incredible sense of thirst.  It's crazy really.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

The hate existed waaaaay before the decision.  The decision really has nothing to do with the hate at all.  Really don't feel any differently about either program.

Oh, yes, we changed and nobody else did. Their attitudes haven't shifted a bit. 🙄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Oh, yes, we changed and nobody else did. Their attitudes haven't shifted a bit. 🙄

You are suggesting people didn't hate Texas before?

You live in another world, my friend.  Y'all keep telling yourselves how loveable ole Texas is and always has  been.  It's a fucking lie.

The long and short of it is that the money might be missed.  That is reality.  I don't miss aggy.  I'm probably not going to miss Texas being in the Big XII and crying about how the world is against them, when they repeatedly step on their own dicks out of the chute.

Citizens of Texas deserve better. It matters not to which club UT belongs.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, slorch said:

"Y'all still aren't gonna say you love us?"

No.  It ain't coming.  It didn't for aggy either.

Go have fun.

Somehow we'll manage with the greatness* of UT in our lives.

* in their own fucking mind.

Don't care about the "love" part, but the real world is coming when you guys do your next tv contract. You got the deal you did because ESPN wanted Texas and OU out and paid a premium for it. When you have to negotiate based on your own merits, something tells me Yormark is not going to be looked upon as the genius you make him out to be.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

You’re either trolling or really dumb. Your Tech degree would indicate the latter.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

You are suggesting people didn't hate Texas before?

You live in another world, my friend.  Y'all keep telling yourselves how loveable ole Texas is and always has  been.  It's a fucking lie.

The long and short of it is that the money might be missed.  That is reality.  I don't miss aggy.  I'm probably not going to miss Texas being in the Big XII and crying about how the world is against them, when they repeatedly step on their own dicks out of the chute.

Citizens of Texas deserve better. It matters not to which club UT belongs.

Never said that or even came close to implying that.

And with that last part - FUCK YOU. You are so full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Citizens of Texas deserve better.

Jesus could you be any more melodramatic?  It’s a discussion about football fans.  This shit is an entertainment sideshow in all our lives. None of it really matters all that much. But still, fuck Tech and fuck that shithole Lubbock. 

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Never said that or even came close to implying that.

And with that last part - FUCK YOU. You are so full of shit.

yes you did.

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Texas just isn't appreciated...LOlz.

They drove others away and the current conference members aren't weeping as they depart.

"Y'all will see.  we important."

whatever.  Nobody will mourn enough for your liking.  Nobody will mourn at all.

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

They drove others away and the current conference members aren't weeping as they depart.

If true, why is everybody in the big12 so salty about Texas (and ou... I guess...) leaving?  

• Hook 'Em 2

Prediction- over the next couple of decades, there will be changes in the coaching staffs and ADs of the various IR8 schools. (Of course there will be. There always are). 

At some (I predict Baylor, TT, TCU, UH) and not others (ISU, KSU), the new AD or coach will roll out their turnaround plan, and part of it will be, “I’m going to call Austin, and see if we can schedule a series. Remember how much fun those games were? How exciting? Games like that are what we need to get this program rolling again!”

They’ll make that call. UT may receive it and consider it. “A game in Lubbock? Hmmm. Y’all played Ole Miss in Houston, in the NFL stadium. How about that? A game in Austin and a game in Houston?”

Or, maybe they’ll just try to get the Legislature to force a game contract (like some Ag legislator did once). 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

They drove others away and the current conference members aren't weeping as they depart..

This reminds me of that tcu twitter account claiming no one is dying for Texas to stay and how UT is so insufferable the rest of the conference would rather lose money than have to deal with Texas anymore and my response is always the same—then why were you and your politicians trying to do everything they could to block Texas from leaving (not that it was going to work)?

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This reminds me of that tcu twitter account claiming no one is dying for Texas to stay and how UT is so insufferable the rest of the conference would rather lose money than have to deal with Texas anymore and my response is always the same—then why were you and your politicians trying to do everything they could to block Texas from leaving (not that it was going to work)?

The ones acting out are the ones that realize CFB as they knew it is over for them.  Not like next year, but too soon all the same.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

If it wasn’t for us you and the rest of the leftovers would’ve been in conference usa after aggy left.  

1 hour ago, slorch said:

We did drive Nebraska away, by beating their ass.    You know you it hurts you.   We all know it does.  And we love it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, statsman said:

Prediction- over the next couple of decades, there will be changes in the coaching staffs and ADs of the various IR8 schools. (Of course there will be. There always are). 

At some (I predict Baylor, TT, TCU, UH) and not others (ISU, KSU), the new AD or coach will roll out their turnaround plan, and part of it will be, “I’m going to call Austin, and see if we can schedule a series. Remember how much fun those games were? How exciting? Games like that are what we need to get this program rolling again!”

They’ll make that call. UT may receive it and consider it. “A game in Lubbock? Hmmm. Y’all played Ole Miss in Houston, in the NFL stadium. How about that? A game in Austin and a game in Houston?”

Or, maybe they’ll just try to get the Legislature to force a game contract (like some Ag legislator did once). 

I’d let Tech and the rest of the Irate8 stew in their own shit until at least 2035. Then sure, I’d be down for a game in Austin and a game in Houston or Dallas.

SEC refs would be a must. Insisting on Big 12 officials should kill any deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d let Tech and the rest of the Irate8 stew in their own shit until at least 2035. Then sure, I’d be down for a game in Austin and a game in Houston or Dallas.
SEC refs would be a must. Insisting on Big 12 officials should kill any deal. 

This is just unnecessarily petty. There’s a natural cooling off period over the next few years with major OOC games already on the books. After that point, administrations and coaching staffs at least one if not both schools will have turned over. Texas will have moved on to greener pastures and the Big 12’s short to medium term future has already been decided.

If the AD wants to schedule as many B1G helmet schools out of conference as possible then that’s cool with me but beyond that, let’s not pretend and a home and home with Arizona State is any more desirable than one with Tech.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is just unnecessarily petty. There’s a natural cooling off period over the next few years with major OOC games already on the books. After that point, administrations and coaching staffs at least one if not both schools will have turned over. Texas will have moved on to greener pastures and the Big 12’s short to medium term future has already been decided.

If the AD wants to schedule as many B1G helmet schools out of conference as possible then that’s cool with me but beyond that, let’s not pretend and a home and home with Arizona State is any more desirable than one with Tech.

Arizona State was added because Florida and Georgia were on our OOC schedule the 4 years leading up to that series. What we're going to start seeing is less home and home series in general because the conference matchups are so damn good that playing a big OOC opponent is no longer necessary. We're also going to see teams wanting to maximize their home game schedules. That means more regional cupcakes. We're not going to waste a home and home on a Big 12 school. Maybe they'll be invited to Austin but return games aren't likely. Maybe we'll get some Mack Brown type eventually to come in at HFBC who will pine for the good ole days of the Big 12. 

I'd imagine we'll see more ACC and lower tier Big 10 teams added to our OOC. Personally, I want games against teams we don't normally or never have played like Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t know. When you review the Tech fan behavior, in Lubbock, at football and basketball games, it’s clear they are getting off on “hating Texas”. 

Scheduling them there is like scheduling Arkansas. We think we’re setting up a game and they are preparing a jihad. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

What we're going to start seeing is less home and home series in general because the conference matchups are so damn good that playing a big OOC opponent is no longer necessary.

1. I hope not
  2. Meh, not really.  The only conference games that will move the needle are Georgia and Bama.  And before your first part came true we were playing those level of teams home and home OOC anyway.

All I can add to this thread is, for a minimum of 10 years, the Horns shouldn’t “travel” to Waco, Lubbock, Provo, Ft Worth, or Houston for a minimum of 10 years. Bowl games are different and I’d place OSU, KSU, and ISU in a different bucket of consideration. Just my opinion. The “Texas” schools can suck it!

Hook’em!!!

4 hours ago, WBT said:

Maybe 25 years ago.

LSU will be fun if Kelly gets them going again.

You're thinking short term. There's no guarantee Georgia and Bama are going to stay where they are indefinitely. Long term I expect Florida and Tennessee to become marquee matchups eventually.

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, lots of left-behind schools are about to look at their home schedules for 2024 league play, and think, “Wow, there’s not one school in this league that I’m excited to watch play.”

Not.

One.

That’s how Texas and OU fans have felt for a fucking decade.  

Every Big 12 school should immediately cut any construction project that would add seats. Attendance will start falling off a cliff beginning next year. 

I guess Baylor is in the best spot. Drayton already paid for their stadium. Booming population centers to the north and south of Waco, and the town is growing because of the Magnolia Empire. Also Baylor is the only game in town. TCU and Coug High have severe pro sports competition. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Every Big 12 school should immediately cut any construction project that would add seats. Attendance will start falling off a cliff beginning next year. 

I guess Baylor is in the best spot. Drayton already paid for their stadium. Booming population centers to the north and south of Waco, and the town is growing because of the Magnolia Empire. Also Baylor is the only game in town. TCU and Coug High have severe pro sports competition. 

TCU has already proven it can do just fine in a conference without Texas and OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, royiv said:

TCU has already proven it can do just fine in a conference without Texas and OU.

Tcu's biggest game ever pre-big 12 was the rosebowl, which drew 11.3 share, and was the 4th lowest rose bowl ratings of the last 20 years. Just about the only major football game in recent memory with lower ratings was the georgia-tcu title game, which drew an 4 share.

Seems like a "tcu just fine" is like a "rhode island 10."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, royiv said:

That was a different era. That was an era when, if a Mountain West team signed a player, that ended up being good enough to star in a bigger league, they could keep him until he ran out of eligibility, because there were barriers to transfer, and bigger (richer) programs couldn’t give incentives (NIL) to transfer. 

Also, the IR8 program formula for success is to find the right coach and pay him to stay. Now, the quality of life for power program coaches and aspirational program coaches is markedly different. Rich programs can hire staffs to scout the nation for HS recruiting and transfer portal recruiting. Smaller programs need the assistant and head coaches to do that, and it’s an all year job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tcu's biggest game ever pre-big 12 was the rosebowl, which drew 11.3 share, and was the 4th lowest rose bowl ratings of the last 20 years. Just about the only major football game in recent memory with lower ratings was the georgia-tcu title game, which drew an 4 share.

Example of Rhode Island 10 for reference?

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Example of Rhode Island 10 for reference?

A 4’10” Italian girl with a Red Sox hat and a Bruins’ jersey. Her father was a union pipefitter in Charlestown before relocating the family to RI after a “labor dispute”. She probably has a brother doing 20 years at SBCC for armed robbery. She makes a solid gravy and isn’t afraid to cut a bitch. Sound charming?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

12 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

A 4’10” Italian girl with a Red Sox hat and a Bruins’ jersey. Her father was a union pipefitter in Charlestown before relocating the family to RI after a “labor dispute”. She probably has a brother doing 20 years at SBCC for armed robbery. She makes a solid gravy and isn’t afraid to cut a bitch. Sound charming?

Would she rassle you for a poke? Remembering Miz Napoli from 7th Grade...

5 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

This may be a double whammy for TCU with their conference going to mediocrity and SMU buying their way into the ACC.  TCU gots long term problems.

Some of you might know that I am an ancient Longhorn football history buff. How did Texas football get where it is?

From the earliest days, Texas knew it wanted to be a national power, even when the best programs were obviously the Ivy League schools. When football was more of a club sport, student team managers worked to schedule home and homes with distant flagships. Texas went up to Chicago and took its ass whipping from Stagg’s squads. It scheduled Notre Dame whenever it could. It was so proud of the coup of scheduling a game in Boston against Harvard. 

And the Horns usually lost. 

Meanwhile, other state programs were letting easy train schedules determine who they played. Texas was getting national exposure, and learning what was required, play-wise, to be a national power. (Note- this is not an approach that only the Longhorns could take)

UT was the first program in the state to build a stadium. It was expensive as hell, but it was the first. A lot of programs wouldn’t have their stadium for decades. 

Texas started the SWC, primarily to get rules of play and eligibility written, signed up to, and enforced. 

When the SWC was collapsing, Texas was the leader in finding a home for the SWC’s most popular programs, and Baylor, in the Big XII. 

Then, in the aughts, UT saw the impact streaming would have, and budgeted the money to wire all its athletic facilities accordingly. Dodds shared this vision with the Big XII, and encouraged them to do the same. They declined, citing the expense. 

Here we are. Texas has planned and invested wisely for over a century. Lilliputians hated Gulliver because he figured out that the quickest way to put out a city fire was for him to puss on it. Rather than thank him for his quick thinking and help, they tried to blind him. The IR8 could never bring themselves to thank Texas for all the revenue their free riding brought; they’d rather vote it down and keep it from leveraging all its resources. 

Gulliver was surprised to discover that the Lilliputians hated him. I am surprised by the hate expressed by the IR8. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, statsman said:

Some of you might know that I am an ancient Longhorn football history buff. How did Texas football get where it is?

From the earliest days, Texas knew it wanted to be a national power, even when the best programs were obviously the Ivy League schools. When football was more of a club sport, student team managers worked to schedule home and homes with distant flagships. Texas went up to Chicago and took its ass whipping from Stagg’s squads. It scheduled Notre Dame whenever it could. It was so proud of the coup of scheduling a game in Boston against Harvard. 

And the Horns usually lost. 

Meanwhile, other state programs were letting easy train schedules determine who they played. Texas was getting national exposure, and learning what was required, play-wise, to be a national power. (Note- this is not an approach that only the Longhorns could take)

UT was the first program in the state to build a stadium. It was expensive as hell, but it was the first. A lot of programs wouldn’t have their stadium for decades. 

Texas started the SWC, primarily to get rules of play and eligibility written, signed up to, and enforced. 

When the SWC was collapsing, Texas was the leader in finding a home for the SWC’s most popular programs, and Baylor, in the Big XII. 

Then, in the aughts, UT saw the impact streaming would have, and budgeted the money to wire all its athletic facilities accordingly. Dodds shared this vision with the Big XII, and encouraged them to do the same. They declined, citing the expense. 

Here we are. Texas has planned and invested wisely for over a century. Lilliputians hated Gulliver because he figured out that the quickest way to put out a city fire was for him to puss on it. Rather than thank him for his quick thinking and help, they tried to blind him. The IR8 could never bring themselves to thank Texas for all the revenue their free riding brought; they’d rather vote it down and keep it from leveraging all its resources. 

Gulliver was surprised to discover that the Lilliputians hated him. I am surprised by the hate expressed by the IR8. 

You're a weird fucking dude with your obsession with what other schools think of Texas. I don't understand the need you have for other schools to fellate Texas. The fact is that Texas, despite making excellent business decisions for decades, has historically underperformed on the football field compared to other blue blood programs. Texas fans should be concerned more with the product on the field than with what other schools think of them. Don't expect thank you notes and flowers when Texas makes a business decision in its best interest. Move on and focus on the play on the field.

ADs make asinine decisions all the time but there is no reason for Texas to ever schedule an Irate 8 team in football ever again.  Going forward, the OOC schedule will likely consist of three cupcakes and 1 strong Power 5 team.  It would not surprise me at all if an SEC-Big 10 challenge is implemented in football after the 12-team playoff goes into effect.  The likes of Florida and South Carolina (SEC teams with difficult OOC rivalry games could be given easier opponents in a Big 10 challenge).   It would provide the SEC and Big 10 with complete dominance over the OOC portion of the schedule in addition to the conference schedule, render the Big 12 and ACC even more irrelevant and pile more pressure on ND to join the Big 10).  The SEC and Big 10 should be focused on destroying the Big 12 and ACC and gobbling up all of their TV dollars.  

11 minutes ago, royiv said:

You're a weird fucking dude with your obsession with what other schools think of Texas. I don't understand the need you have for other schools to fellate Texas. The fact is that Texas, despite making excellent business decisions for decades, has historically underperformed on the football field compared to other blue blood programs. Texas fans should be concerned more with the product on the field than with what other schools think of them. Don't expect thank you notes and flowers when Texas makes a business decision in its best interest. Move on and focus on the play on the field.

Obsession? No. It is on my mind. I’m a fan of Longhorn football, and there are one or two more significant games to play in the B12.  The one tonight? The conference commissioner has already said he will be there rooting for Tech. The conference supervisor of officials sent Kevin Mar and his crew (officiators of some very odd games) to Austin tonight for the third time this season. 

I imagine that in a very short period, I won’t be thinking much of the IR8 at all, but now I am very conscious of them. 

Edited by statsman

1 minute ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Lol. You do realize that UF is almost identical to Texas right? Won a championship in ‘08 but have struggled since… They’ll eventually be a marquee matchup again — it’s all cyclical.

Florida as a program has like 200 wins less than Texas. No, they are not "almost identical."

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I watched the Locked On Tech guys spend an entire segment talking about how they don’t give a shit about any big12 games now that Texas is gone and it will be hard to motivate anyone anymore - two shows in a row. 

So not buying that whole “we don’t care either” shit. 

Yeah, I know as a fan I won’t care as much about Tech football, but honestly since Leach and seeing how the admin deals with success that is bigger than the university it’s just been a slow death back to mediocrity and hoping for a toilet bowl. Then basketball got great for a little while, but we couldn’t even keep the coach with a blank check and keys to the city. Tech’s best possible outcome is becoming like Boise State, boring town with nothing around it in a shit conference who has to use gimmicks for views. 

Edited by Tommy Shelby
  • Hook 'Em 1