New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

OU obviously wants Florida instead of Misery, but does Florida want OU? 

All Venables jokes aside, Georgia, Tennessee, and OU + Florida State every year is a very, very tough schedule. 

I have always wanted to see Texas and Florida play ever since I was a little kid watching Spurrier. I would fly to wherever they are playing to see that. It looks like they have only met 3 times, none since 1940. 

All time record - Texas is 2-0-1 vs Fluuurda

Visiting at the Swamp is a most interesting experience. The aftergame experiences are legendary along the strip, well within walking distance. Gata fans, however, are NOT classy while the game is in progress. Get down there before they get their shit together. Much better in October or after.

Has aggy said they want MS State? They’ve annoyed LSU into a semblance of a rivalry. They know they’re not getting out of playing Texas. 

Prior to 2022, they were hot to keep “cross divisional rival” South Carolina on the schedule. The Cocks got hot last year and now aggy wants no part of that game. 

These mock schedules just miss the point.

If you’re a top 8 team with 2 top 8 rivals you play 9 top 8 games in a 2 year period and 9 games from the bottom 8.

If you’re a bottom 8 team with 1 top 8 rival you play 9 top 8 games in a 2 year period and 9 games from the bottom 8.

That’s balance.

In both @TheContractor‘s examples you see Oklahoma, you know the team that win the most Big 12 titles of all time (fuck me for having to type that) playing the weakest fucking schedule where they will only play 8 top 8 games in a two year period while everyone else plays 9 and Ole Miss in example1 or Kentucky in example2 will be playing 10 top 10 games.

You use all time wins and Florida drops out of the top 8 to #9, you use all time winning percentage and aggy falls out of the top 8 to #9, you use conference winning percentage over the last decade and Tennessee falls to #13 (not even close).

And for Nick Saban, you’re talking about the clear cut #1 team in the conference getting 1 extra game against Tennessee every two years and they have had the weakest rival pairing over the last 20 years of the traditional SEC power teams: UGA/Aub, UF/LSU, Bama/TN; and of the new top 8 they have arguably the weakest guaranteed rival in Auburn. 

Oklahoma and Alabama should not get an easy schedule. You want to say they are getting screwed then show me the data.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has aggy said they want MS State? They’ve annoyed LSU into a semblance of a rivalry. They know they’re not getting out of playing Texas. 

Prior to 2022, they were hot to keep “cross divisional rival” South Carolina on the schedule. The Cocks got hot last year and now aggy wants no part of that game. 

If it were up to aggy, their conference slate would be Vandy, SCar, MSU, Kentucky, Mizzou, and Ole Miss. even still they couldn't go undefeated.

7 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Option 1 vs Option 2

nothing changes for texas 3 but schedules become much harder/easier for some teams. 

5906B369-BC31-4A31-B3F3-341F97787F8A.jpeg

73FED92A-90A9-4E46-8D7B-6E1EBA00E720.jpeg

First one not a bad effort, but TN-SC and KY-UGA is weird.  You should flip those.  TN-UK and UGA-S. Carolina.  Both have some fire in the rivalries.

Also Auburn-Vandy is odd.  Auburn has plenty of schools they would rather play.  Maybe S. Carolina-Vandy, Mizzou gets aggy (instead of SC) and Miss. St. gets Auburn.

9 hours ago, bullet said:

First one not a bad effort, but TN-SC and KY-UGA is weird.  You should flip those.  TN-UK and UGA-S. Carolina.  Both have some fire in the rivalries.

Also Auburn-Vandy is odd.  Auburn has plenty of schools they would rather play.  Maybe S. Carolina-Vandy, Mizzou gets aggy (instead of SC) and Miss. St. gets Auburn.

His option 2 is pretty damn solid. It also shows the problem of trying to find balance when you have some in the league that have no true rivals like South Carolina and Mizzou. You also have to balance Miss State, Vandy, and South Carolina not being on every big team's schedule for balance. Then you've created an imbalance for the lower tier schools. Someone is going to be angry, regardless. This OU/Florida rumor just doesn't make sense but it would be amusing to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

His option 2 is pretty damn solid. It also shows the problem of trying to find balance when you have some in the league that have no true rivals like South Carolina and Mizzou. You also have to balance Miss State, Vandy, and South Carolina not being on every big team's schedule for balance. Then you've created an imbalance for the lower tier schools. Someone is going to be angry, regardless. This OU/Florida rumor just doesn't make sense but it would be amusing to see. 

OU/Florida are being paired up in the same way that early B12 prognosticators wanted to match up Texas and Colorado as x-div perma-rivals, if the B12 had chosen to go that route in order to preserve the NU-OU rivalry (which, in hindsight, the B12 probably should have.  Losing that marquee rivalry as an annual game was one of the original and irreparable foundational cracks in the B12 itself).

Anyway, it seems they're just lumped together because they offer similar competitiveness for the sake of balance, in the absence of any real history between the two.

I can guarantee you who probably won’t play in 2024, Georgia won’t play Bama, LSU, Texas, OU or A&M….  SEC does more schedule tinkering to keep its top teams protected than any conference ever and now they have free rein with no divisions to do what they want other than the can’t skip rivalries.  

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

I can guarantee you who probably won’t play in 2024, Georgia won’t play Bama, LSU, Texas, OU or A&M….  SEC does more schedule tinkering to keep its top teams protected than any conference ever and now they have free rein with no divisions to do what they want other than the can’t skip rivalries.  

Not sure why they'd bother to protect Georgia from ol' 5-7, but other than that, I completely agree.

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

OU/Florida are being paired up in the same way that early B12 prognosticators wanted to match up Texas and Colorado as x-div perma-rivals, if the B12 had chosen to go that route in order to preserve the NU-OU rivalry (which, in hindsight, the B12 probably should have.  Losing that marquee rivalry as an annual game was one of the original and irreparable foundational cracks in the B12 itself).

Anyway, it seems they're just lumped together because they offer similar competitiveness for the sake of balance, in the absence of any real history between the two.

Wasn’t it ous choice?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Not sure why they'd bother to protect Georgia from ol' 5-7, but other than that, I completely agree.

Well they try their best to get 5-7 to look respectable too, hints why A&M has played Georgia once since they got there.  It’s kinda sad, just come up with a set permanent rotation when they figure out what they want to do not this pick and choose shit to make everyone look better.  Strongest conference but biggest  wussies too.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Feels pretty UTEP-y to be honest. I doubt a Big 12 or PAC Ten team will give up a bye week to play Texas in November. 

It doesn't have to be November.

Each year during Cupcake Saturday, a few SECSECSEC teams play conference games.

We have September 21 open still after starting Aug 31 at home against Colorado State, Sept. 7 at Meatchicken and Sept 14 at home against UTSA.

The following teams have not scheduled Sept. 21 games yet:

Nebraska

Arizona

Arizona State

To name just 3.

Screw the Candy-Ass Cupcakes. We have only played one FBS team and that one was foisted on us.

11 hours ago, bullet said:

Tenn and USCe get each other bc that is what is left when every team matches up their Rival 1. That or South Carolina/Vandy which could work. if you take option2: 

USCe: Vandy, UF, Ok.      Vandy:USCe, Arky, Mizzou.       Kent: Tenn, Miss St, Auburn.       Tenn: UK, Bama, UF

Auburn get Bama and UGA, they deserve Vandy(option 1) as the 3rd team, maybe Kent(option2)

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

we may want to pair up UF/Ou but UF will get UGA and Tenn, Ou as a 3rd is a pretty tough schedule. Ou needs a harder 3rd option after UT, Mizzou but its hard to match a 3rd that is not Arky, to keep it fair on the East teams. 

34 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

we may want to pair up UF/Ou but UF will get UGA and Tenn, Ou as a 3rd is a pretty tough schedule. Ou needs a harder 3rd option after UT, Mizzou but its hard to match a 3rd that is not Arky, to keep it fair on the East teams. 

OU vs Arky as a 3rd rival makes the most sense long-term even though it'll benefit the dirt burglars short-term.

6 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

OU vs Arky as a 3rd rival makes the most sense long-term even though it'll benefit the dirt burglars short-term.

For two schools in adjoining states and in towns that are only about 4 hours apart, OU and Arkansas have played each other a surprisingly small number of times.  Only 15 games, and 12 of those came in 1926 or earlier.  Three matchups since 1978, all in bowl games.  So paring up those two seems to me to be forcing something that is not there.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

OU getting Texas, Misery, piggy would be pretty damn funny. Does absolutely nothing to help them in recruiting, and I doubt they joined the SEC to create rivalries with a couple of Tier 3 SEC teams. 

For Ou, Texas and Mizzou are all but guaranteed. I dont think itll be Piggy bc they want to go more east but it cant be UGA, Bama, Auburn, Lsu, Tenn or Florida bc they all should have 2+ rivalries set and wont want a stronger than avg #3. Only other way they can go East is South Carolina. 

On 6/6/2023 at 10:38 AM, Hook1997 said:

Well they try their best to get 5-7 to look respectable too, hints why A&M has played Georgia once since they got there.

That schedule was locked in May 2014. I don't think it was done to protect either team, just one of the downsides to a 12 year rotation schedule.

There are a lot of examples of games that haven't played in a specific stadium in the last decade because of it.

Florida hasn't hosted Miss St since 2010.

Bama wouldn't have played at Mizzou yet if not for the game being added in 2020 for the COVID schedule.

At that point in 2020, UGA had just hosted A&M in 2019 so there wasn't really a drive to add that matchup as one of the extra 2 games.

Original rotation for reference:

SEC-Schedule-Grid-2014-2025-640-278.png

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@gatormarc do you have a SEC Travel Guide? 

Also a ranking of away game fans would be helpful. 

TL; DR: I don’t have a travel guide really. We try to make an away game each year. My strategy has always been to logistically figure out the tickets, flight and hotel, and then build from there by searching for breweries and BBQ joints.

A lot of smaller towns necessitate flying in to a nearby city and then driving. We're lucky that in Orlando there's also Sanford airport and Allegiant does direct flights to mid-sized markets.

Some trips, we really just popped into town for the game while doing other things in the area, so it’s not really applicable to what everyone else will prefer. And also lots probably have changed since then. So, I figured I’d just give my personal experiences.

Still have not been to games @Alabama, Auburn, or Ole Miss

Long Version:

2008 - Arkansas (W)

We made the mistake of driving to this one. Learned our lesson. Spent most of the time on the road. We fly most of the time now even for closish games. Florida’s campus is on the edge of the conference so unless we have some other reason to road trip, we do it. We play Arkansas just enough that there is a little bit of back and forth but not enough that there’s any real hate. At the time they were really proud of their replay board and loved to replay anything that they saw as a bad call that went Florida’s way. If they got a break, they decided to play commercials.

2009 - N/A

2010 - Tennessee (W)

Spent most of our trip in Chattanooga (fun town, see Rock City) and only drove up to Knoxville for the game, so I’m not sure I’m a great judge. The seats sucked though. We were in a corner so your knees were rubbing on the person next to you. There was also a legitimate feeling that you could roll down the stairs and just go over into the lower bowl. Bring earplugs, they only have one song and they play it 100 times during the game.

2011 - Kentucky (W)

This was the Joker Phillips era so they had no real illusions that they would win the game even though Florida has just had a rough year and were breaking in a new coach. They had a weird tailgate setup at the time where there were painted areas on the grass campus and you could park your car in one the night before to lock it in. Campus is weird in that there were legitimately two different architecture styles, and one of them is really ugly. They will talk basketball trash at a football game. We didn’t do any distillery tours and should have.

2012 - A&M (W)

You probably don’t need much info about this one. We actually flew into Austin, hung out there for a day (learned to say Pooor Aggies by some UTx Alum), drove into College Station for the game and then went to San Antonio that night and did a day there. Fans were giddy to be in the SEC. I have a “Howdy” button somewhere. Some frat bros gave us cheap beer the moment we stepped on campus at like 9am.

2013 - Mizzou (L)

Another I probably don’t have to tell you much about. Flew into St. Louis and only went into Columbia for the game. Stadium sucked but they were in the process of updating it for the SEC. It was also cold as fuck. 11am kickoff so we were at an official tailgate drinking bourbon to warm up. Mizzou won so their fans were very friendly. Had lots of drinks paid for us downtown. Hangover was horrendous.

2014 - Vanderbilt (W)

Nashville is a fun town. Campus is nice. Visited the Capitol Building. The stadium isn’t anything special at all, old and small. Felt similar to Mizzou. It’s super common for visiting teams to bring 10k+ because it’s a fun trip and tickets are easy to get. Vandy fans are usually apathetic.

2015 - South Carolina (W)

Drove for this one but it was part of another trip to visit a friend in Beaufort, so we just went in for the day. Since the stadium is at the fairgrounds and off campus, tailgating is a bit weird. There are fenced off areas that you can pay to park and tailgate. The shitty thing is they won’t let people walk through those areas so you may have to take a really weird route to get to the stadium. 

2016 - vs Georgia in Jax (W)

This is a trip you naturally will probably never make unless it’s for a bowl. Despite the fact that Jacksonville has hosted this game for a million years, it still feels like they are unprepared for it every year. The stadium experience is nice but traffic is awful before and after the game. Jax is super spread out so you might be staying at a hotel an hour of traffic from the game.

2017 - vs Michigan (Non-Con) in Dallas (L)

I probably don’t need to tell you what you can do in Dallas. We had a lot of beer and BBQ.

2018 - Miss St. (W)

Starkville is tiny, tiny, tiny. We stayed about 30 minutes out of town. We flew into Birmingham and did a day there before heading to Starkville. Campus is pretty small. They have one really nice quad area with nice buildings to walk around. The stadium is basically a horseshoe and one end zone has facilities so if you go in the wrong side, you have to circle the entire stadium to get to the other side. Fans were friendly. They had basically talked themselves into that Mullen had hit his ceiling there (he had) but the new coach was going to take it to the next level (he didn’t) and Florida was too tough a job for Mullen (well, yes and no).

2019 - LSU (L)

Drove and stopped in Pensacola and New Orleans on the way. Baton Rouge is only about 90 minutes drive from New Orleans so it’s an easy drive in for the day. LSU fans were drunk when we showed up on campus. Tons of in your face trash talk but never saw anything escalate to violence. They were an unreal team and we almost pulled it off. It made the trash talk worse because I think they knew that their perfect season almost crashed and burned. Had a drunk 60 year old trash talk me as we left the stadium from his RV. I’m not sure he ever made it to the game but he wanted to give me crap because we left with 1:30 on the clock..

2020 - N/A

This was supposed to be our trip to The Grove.

2021 - South Carolina (L)

This time we drove to Charleston and saw the sights there before heading to Columbia for the game. Visited the Capitol Building. Had some friendly tailgates with Cock fans. They didn’t have any expectations on winning with the new coach, even though this was well into Mullen’s “I don’t give a fuck” moment.

2022 - FSU (Non-Con) (L)

This may or may not be relevant in the future. Getting a hotel in Tallahassee sucks because there really isn’t a big city anywhere near by. We ended up staying in a motel an hour away. It was also Black Friday so the experience was probably different than your average gameday. So many drunk students, both Florida and FSU. Tons of mixed parties because the frats for both schools just get together. Getting out of town sucked. It seemed like they would just direct traffic to an area and just abandon you to figure out the rest of the way to the Interstate.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 2

A wee bit off topic but intersting.. B1G 2024-2024 Schedule Released

They got it right for the most part. They ended divisional play. But just in case you don't think tOSU still runs the place their permenant opponents are Michigan, Illinois and Northwestern. Each university was asked to list their three preferred rivals. Everyone is scheduled to play eveyone over a two year period.

There are 11 rivalries now considered permanent, games that will be played on an annual basis: Michigan-Ohio State, Michigan-Michigan State, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Minnesota-Iowa, Wisconsin-Iowa, Nebraska-Iowa, Indiana-Purdue, Illinois-Purdue, Illinoise-Northwestern, USC-UCLA and Maryland-Rutgers.

Each team will play three others in both 2024 and 2025. They include:
Illinois: Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State
Indiana: Purdue, Michigan State, Maryland
Iowa: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin
Maryland: Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan
Michigan: Ohio State, Michigan State, Maryland
Michigan State: Michigan, Penn State, Indiana
Minnesota: Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska
Nebraska: Iowa, Minnesota, UCLA
Northwestern: Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue
Ohio State: Michigan, Illinois, Northwestern
Penn State: Michigan State, USC, Rutgers
Purdue: Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern
Rutgers: Maryland, Penn State, UCLA
UCLA: USC, Nebraska, Rutgers
USC: Penn State, Wisconsin, UCLA
Wisconsin: Minnesota, Iowa, USC

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

They got it right for the most part. They ended divisional play. But just in case you don't think tOSU still runs the place their permenant opponents are Michigan, Illinois and Northwestern. Each university was asked to list their three preferred rivals. Everyone is scheduled to play eveyone over a two year period.

There are 11 rivalries now considered permanent, games that will be played on an annual basis: Michigan-Ohio State, Michigan-Michigan State, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Minnesota-Iowa, Wisconsin-Iowa, Nebraska-Iowa, Indiana-Purdue, Illinois-Purdue, Illinoise-Northwestern, USC-UCLA and Maryland-Rutgers.

WTF for sure on Ohio State and USC’s permanent opponents. UCLA getting Rutgers is a shameless TV play. 

Joker Phillips was the low point of UK's program but that was what finally convinced UK that they have to spend money on football. A lot of visitors to UK football games go to Keeneland and/or the Bourbon Trail. If you're flying into Bluegrass airport that isn't too far from the stadium.

19 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

4 teams that aren't soul crushingly uninteresting 

18 hours ago, John80 said:

Joker Phillips was the low point of UK's program but that was what finally convinced UK that they have to spend money on football. A lot of visitors to UK football games go to Keeneland and/or the Bourbon Trail. If you're flying into Bluegrass airport that isn't too far from the stadium.

Plus, depending on length of visit, a daytrip to Louisville or Cincinnati isn't a bad idea for those who've never been to either places. 

19 hours ago, John80 said:

Yep Kentucky is at the top of my list because bourbon. Probably the only SEC destination I want to visit for football and hoops. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I’m not complaining at that. Pretty interesting road games at Michigan and Auburn. Florida at DKR would be fun, especially with their shitty QBs. 

Is there any particular reason you’ve decided to take whatever that 247 writer is saying at face value? Or is this just default trusting a random media source because … because?

This is some level of wish casting but if you are Sankey and you have this 1 year kind of free for all scheduling and you are adding two top 10 all time football programs in that same year, why wouldn't you take that opportunity to schedule some epics?  I expect to see something like OU at Alabama and Texas at UGA.  Also I expect aggy at Texas.  It does not make sense to play the next game in the series at aggy when the last one was at aggy.

58 minutes ago, Hozz said:

This is some level of wish casting but if you are Sankey and you have this 1 year kind of free for all scheduling and you are adding two top 10 all time football programs in that same year, why wouldn't you take that opportunity to schedule some epics?  I expect to see something like OU at Alabama and Texas at UGA.  Also I expect aggy at Texas.  It does not make sense to play the next game in the series at aggy when the last one was at aggy.

Maybe those in reverse. Georgia/Florida come to Austin, Bama/Florida to Norman. And we are definitely going to aggy and LSU. If OU gets Florida, it’s a good bet the speculation about them being permanent rivals is dead on.

15 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I think A&M will host the first one. This is their way of throwing the Aggies a bone, and would also allow us to host Arkansas in '24 (since we were up there as recently as '21), and have those two games alternate as home games every other year.

Texas is 25-22-2 at College Station. Texas is 28-10 at Little Rock/Fayetteville/Memphis. Neither of those programs are anything currently different than their historical mean as programs of mediocrity. I certainly hope Texas isn't lobbying for a home/away split each with those two teams. Texas should get them both at home, as merited by where the last game in each rivalry was played.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)