2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There is very little confidence in where that system is going to end up. Various models have it anywhere from Louisiana to Mexico. Should know more by the weekend as it moves into the Gulf of Mexico.

Also worth noting that landfall would probably be early next week and the game would likely not be directly impacted given that timeline. Certainly something to watch in general but I don’t think there’s going to be a significant impact on the game here.

Not the game, but potentially Louisiana’s ability to prepare as they would like/dealing with disruptions, etc., but yes, I agree it’s very early as my caveat-filled post indicated. I just thought it was as pertinent to the thread as D.J. Monroe’s usage. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

It is kind of weird how we've had reports for a week or two now saying Card is getting 1st team reps but little to no hints or reports of him being named starter, so maybe it is some kind of open secret they're just not reporting?

Why is this weird? Sark said it's a competition so that would mean both QBs would get 1st team reps to make a better comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Why is this weird? Sark said it's a competition so that would mean both QBs would get 1st team reps to make a better comparison. 

I think he means that the latest reports were that Card was with the 1s and Casey was with the 2's and had been for the last several days (whereas prior they were splitting reps with the 1s pretty evenly.)

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think he means that the latest reports were that Card was with the 1s and Casey was with the 2's and had been for the last several days (whereas prior they were splitting reps with the 1s pretty evenly.)

Oh well in that case it's because 9.95ers are fucking morons

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There is very little confidence in where that system is going to end up. Various models have it anywhere from Louisiana to Mexico. Should know more by the weekend as it moves into the Gulf of Mexico.

Also worth noting that landfall would probably be early next week and the game would likely not be directly impacted given that timeline. Certainly something to watch in general but I don’t think there’s going to be a significant impact on the game here.

There is a fuck load acres of cotton that still needs to be picked. So knowing our luck it’s gonna slam in to Baffin Bay and fuck up everyone from Wharton to Riviera 

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

yeah and there haven't been any $9.95'ers claiming Card is the starter when you'd think they'd be in a rush to be first to proclaim(guess?) the scoop.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Watch Sark release the depth chart on Monday and for QB it says Card -OR- Thompson. Gotta get that competitive edge over ULL!

After losing way too many games by not taking opponents seriously enough, I'm fine if Sark is doing everything he can to ensure a win.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, and it is too early to be a real concern, but the weather folk are looking closely at a weather system brewing in the Caribbean that could develop into something in the gulf next week, and it’s currently tracking into Louisiana. Again, could be nothing, just giving a heads up for the weather nerds. Only mentioning because Lafayette would be affected if one of the models played out. 
Now back to the Greg Davis talk...
They can come to ATX early if needed, none of the Louisiana schools play school anyway.
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lazygringo said:

I knew someone would post that clip. But it's not indicative of his actual play when he had the ball in his hands.

lazygringo, you are fucking retarded.

I remember in his freshman year, when MG was a true freshman, when he had a much larger OU DB all over him and he broke the tackle and scored (I think) our only TD in a close victory against OU on our way to a national title game.

Is that indicative of his actual play with the ball in his hands, you ridiculous fuck?!?

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah and there haven't been any $9.95'ers claiming Card is the starter when you'd think they'd be in a rush to be first to proclaim(guess?) the scoop.

They aren’t going to burn their bridges with a new staff immediately. I’m sure they all know…. Just won’t publicly report it. Just like we’ve known for a week it’s prolly gonna be Card. 

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

lazygringo, you are fucking retarded.

I remember in his freshman year, when MG was a true freshman, when he had a much larger OU DB all over him and he broke the tackle and scored (I think) our only TD in a close victory against OU on our way to a national title game.

Is that indicative of his actual play with the ball in his hands, you ridiculous fuck?!?

That escalated quickly

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

After losing way too many games by not taking opponents seriously enough, I'm fine if Sark is doing everything he can to ensure a win.

I mean that Louisiana team is ranked for a reason. On paper they're one of the best teams we'll play this year next to Oklahoma. This first game is going to be a battle and it's not a guaranteed win like playing UTEP or New Mexico would be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Casey won't hit the portal right away. He gets an extra year if he needs for the covid season, is probably on track to graduate by May, and Card is a freshman who's never taken much of a real game snap. There's a significant chance Casey starts here anyway and gets his shot within 2-3 games especially with Card getting a good ranked defense right out of the gate. 

17 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

If it's Card,  Casey should probably cast into the portal just to see what kind of hits he gets.  

Doesn't mean he's going to transfer. 

Great, let's take Charles Wright into the Cotton Bowl when Hudson takes a dirty hit from Pig. Just shut the fuck up. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

Casey won't hit the portal right away. He gets an extra year if he needs for the covid season, is probably on track to graduate by May, and Card is a freshman who's never taken much of a real game snap. There's a significant chance Casey starts here anyway and gets his shot within 2-3 games especially with Card getting a good ranked defense right out of the gate. 

pretty sure he's already graduated

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This.  It really doesn't make any sense for him to transfer right now.  If he stays he has a pretty good chance of playing either due to injury or incompetence.  He should stay through the Fall and then grad-transfer in the Spring if he doesn't re-win the job here.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Oh well in that case it's because 9.95ers are fucking morons

Dropped all my $9.95 subscriptions last season. Now I just pay $10 a month to Texas Tight Ends through Surly Burnt Ends crazies and get my news secondhand here. Seems a fair trade, and I've learned over the last couple of months that people randomly guessing here seem to have as much insight as any $9.95er...  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's a redshirt junior? That makes sense then. Even so no reason to rush a transfer just because a freshman was named starter before ever taking a real snap. 

Most high school kids come into college with most of their basics and an associates degree already. So you can graduate way quicker if all you need is a few electives and core degree credits 

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  It really doesn't make any sense for him to transfer right now.  If he stays he has a pretty good chance of playing either due to injury or incompetence.  He should stay through the Fall and then grad-transfer in the Spring if he doesn't re-win the job here.

Plus by waiting until after the season he'll have a better look at the programs that want him, who they have returning at QB, and who they have coming in recruiting. He'd be foolish to go portal right away so I wouldn't worry much about it.  

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Plus by waiting until after the season he'll have a better look at the programs that want him, who they have returning at QB, and who they have coming in recruiting. He'd be foolish to go portal right away so I wouldn't worry much about it.  

If he is behind Card this year, he probably has almost no chance of making it in the NFL. So, he should do what he wants to do - Personally, I would focus on academics if I was in his shoes. But, if his dream is to start in college, I think he would start at an option school. Other schools probably wouldn't want to rest their season solely on his shoulders so he would have to compete for the position just like at Texas. But, we are most certainly jumping the gun and I am fairly confident that he will see the field a decent amount this year and may start.

Trying to find where they suspect the OL from L-R looks like but I'm too dumb for the search function I guess.  Can anyone help out?

Jones-Angilau-Majors-Okafor-Kerstetter

Karic being next man up at tackle, probably Imade at guard. They’ve tinkered with it a bit to get looks at other guys and for cross training purposes, but that first group has been relatively consistent
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If he is behind Card this year, he probably has almost no chance of making it in the NFL. So, he should do what he wants to do - Personally, I would focus on academics if I was in his shoes. But, if his dream is to start in college, I think he would start at an option school. Other schools probably wouldn't want to rest their season solely on his shoulders so he would have to compete for the position just like at Texas. But, we are most certainly jumping the gun and I am fairly confident that he will see the field a decent amount this year and may start.

I wouldn't say he has no shot. Mac Jones didn't play for years then had one great season, even with the best talent in the NCAA around him, and was a first round pick. After his Alamo Bowl performance someone would give him a shot. That said I fully believe he'll get his shot during this season. I don't see Sark being slow to pull Card if he struggles. 

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Karic being next man up at tackle, probably Imade at guard. They’ve tinkered with it a bit to get looks at other guys and for cross training purposes, but that first group has been relatively consistent

It sure has been consistent. For all the talk of "battles" in the offseason, this is pretty much what we left last year thinking, hopefully that's a good thing in a couple months. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Morning Brew: Key indicators pointing to Hudson Card being named Texas' starting quarterback

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Morning Brew: Key indicators pointing to Hudson Card being named Texas' starting quarterback

Chip Brown

— Several key indicators point to redshirt freshman Hudson Card as Steve Sarkisian’s choice to be the Texas Longhorns' starting quarterback against Louisiana on Sept. 4, multiple sources told Horns247.

Card has continued to get reps with the first-team offense - ahead of redshirt junior Casey Thompson - for the second straight week, and the Longhorns are now game-planning for Louisiana, sources told Horns247.

Late in practices this week, Thompson has even split time at quarterback with freshman Charles Wright on the second-team offense, sources said.

As of Tuesday night, there had been no announcement made to the team about the starting quarterback, sources said.

I wrote about all that hangs in the balance with Sarkisian's quarterback decision on Monday.

Sarkisian is scheduled to talk to the media on Thursday.

— Count Texas senior safety Brenden Schooler among those who believe freshman receiver Xavier Worthy could be a breakout player on offense this season.

“He (Worthy) has really surprised me,” Schooler said. “That kid can get moving very fast, great ball skills, goes up and gets it, and he's not afraid to go up over the middle and go catch a ball.”

Schooler made the move from safety to receiver last season as a graduate transfer at Texas, catching 12 passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

This season, Schooler will be trying to intercept passes on defense - at safety - a position he played earlier in his college career.

As a freshman at Oregon, Schooler played safety and posted a team-high four interceptions.

“I definitely feel more comfortable at safety than I do at receiver,” Schooler said. “I love playing receiver, don't get me wrong. It’s pretty fun scoring touchdowns. But out of high school, I was recruited as a safety, played defense all my high school career with some time sprinkled in at receiver. I love playing safety. I feel super comfortable back there.”

Schooler has been lining up at free safety with fellow senior B.J. Foster at strong safety, although they switch those roles to keep offenses off-balance.

Schooler said Foster is “a very savvy safety.”

“We work off each other pretty well,” Schooler said of Foster. “We can just look at each other and give each other a look and know who's rolling down and who's doing what. So I think having him back there, gives me confidence as well to play free and know that the safety next to me is going to do his job.”

— One of the better stories of fall camp has been super senior offensive lineman Tope Imade.

Imade arrived at Texas in 2016 - didn’t play a single snap in his first three seasons (2016-18). He got garbage time in three games in 2019 and played primarily on special teams in five games in 2020.

Imade seemed to be an afterthought for the two-deep under Tom Herman, working behind Tyler Johnson and Willie Tyler (who has since transferred to Louisiana-Monroe).

But with Texas offensive coordinator/line coach Kyle Flood being a huge fan “of large humans” and Imade being listed at 6-foot-6 and 361 pounds, Imade is absolutely in the two-deep now and got some reps with the first-team offense at right guard on Tuesday.

“Tope has definitely stepped up in a leadership role,” said fellow super senior offensive lineman and late bloomer Denzel Okafor. “He is my best friend, and me and him have been working together learning the plays in fall camp and just being there for each other.

“A lot of people look up to him in the offensive line room. He can play.”

Imade spent time at tackle in the spring and moved to guard in fall camp, working primarily as Junior Angilau’s backup at right guard.

“He can play both tackle and guard, and I’m excited to see what he can do this year,” Okafor said.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

lolwut? Card has an NFL arm and is a pretty good athlete. His arm talent was evident in the spring game. He could easily be a first round pick in a year or 2. Casey could be an NFL QB and still not start.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I thought the guards were flipped, no?

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Not the game, but potentially Louisiana’s ability to prepare as they would like/dealing with disruptions, etc., but yes, I agree it’s very early as my caveat-filled post indicated. I just thought it was as pertinent to the thread as D.J. Monroe’s usage. 😉

Fuck all that. Texas had to prep for its first baseball tournament of the year during Snowvid so UL can deal with a little rain.

56 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Great, let's take Charles Wright into the Cotton Bowl when Hudson takes a dirty hit from Pig. Just shut the fuck up. 

Didn't mean to shit on your shit on your eggo this morning. 

Things will get better little boy. 

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Didn't mean to shit on your shit on your eggo this morning. 

Things will get better little boy. 

And we are now at that point in camp where fights break out because we are so sick of practicing and playing against each other.  Need to get to game week stat, imo.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

lolwut? Card has an NFL arm and is a pretty good athlete. His arm talent was evident in the spring game. He could easily be a first round pick in a year or 2. Casey could be an NFL QB and still not start.

So, you think we have two qbs now who are future NFL players. Where does that leave Wright and Lourd, CFL?

25 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’ll do you one better. I’m headed to Tottenheim to gain their insights on American-Rules football.

Where is Germany is that? Maybe I'll swing by one day when I'm in Europe, after I visit Tottenham in London.

• Haha 2