Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm not surprised Shultz is getting more action. He's on the field more because he can block, more plays, more opportunities. Frankly, I found him to be quite a capable receiver last year. He may not be as fast, but seems as competent as Jarwin as a pass catcher and getting yardage, has a bit of clutch and reliability to him. It's a pretty decent duo for a team that doesn't have a stud all-around TE weapon.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

First, it was dumb not to take the TO's on either 3rd or 4th down.  McCarthy is dumb. 

That said, everyone with any sense of football knowledge could tell after one half that the only way we lose that game to Hurts and Philly was to turn the ball over in our end multiple times or get strip sack TD/pick 6's.

This team seems good because the D appears to be much better.  I know Philly and Hurts are bad but we rarely see the cowboys dominate divisional opponents like that.

Quinn is doing a good job.  the cowboys issue for most of Jones' post Aikman years has been a shitty fucking defense.

Clock management is one of the most overrated and overblown aspects of coaching. Andy Reid had clock management issues too. Until he got that Mahomes guy, now nobody ever says a damn thing about clock management. Just fucking win.

49 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Clock management is one of the most overrated and overblown aspects of coaching. Andy Reid had clock management issues too. Until he got that Mahomes guy, now nobody ever says a damn thing about clock management. Just fucking win.

That’s just not true. You want to give yourself every possible advantage. There are certain things you have no control over in football. You have complete control over clock management. If you aren’t giving yourself the best chance to win based on clock management, that’s just dumb 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

its overrated if you don't need it because your team kicks ass and the clock don't matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Andy Reid’s clock management issues have plagued him for years and may have cost him a SB or two with the Eagles.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/1/18/18185839/andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-clock-mismanagement-timeouts

Edited by lilMAC25

On 9/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Trey3216 said:

And they're causing a lot of frustration for the offenses even when they aren't getting the turnover.   Pressuring nearly every play, generating a ton of offensive holding penalties, etc.  Diggy and Parsons are creating massive havoc.  Gregory played well last night too.  Imagine lining up DLaw and Parsons at end, Diggy and Gregory at T on 3rd and long situations once DLaw is back.  Talk about a massive amount of pressure on the offensive line to keep those 4 from getting home...

We need to tap the breaks on the D...turnovers are great but also unreliable.
The team is still 2nd to last in passing yards allowed
They give up over 8 yards a pass they give up the third worst 6.7 yards per play both pass/rush
 5th worst in TD passes so far
7th worst in yards per rush
2nd to last in sacks
6th worst in TFLs
While Parsons is getting pressure as a team they rank at the bottom in sack rate and QB pressures.

I think there is some good pieces in place but there will be games where the other team protects the football well and Dallas will get shredded. I actually think this Sunday's game will be a prime example. It is the first noon game after three high priority games against a team that is not a must beat team. I expect them to be a bit sluggish and Carolina protects the ball really well so far and I think they will give Dallas fits. 

This is the type of game we normally lose. The public is talking about us like we could actually be a contender, and we’re facing a competent team that we’re better than. I’m keeping my expectations low, but if we’ve actually grown as a team we will win this game and cover easily. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the type of game we normally lose. The public is talking about us like we could actually be a contender, and we’re facing a competent team that we’re better than. I’m keeping my expectations low, but if we’ve actually grown as a team we will win this game and cover easily. 

We have 2 rookies on the DL that are absolute dogs.   Micah thrives on the pressure.   Dude is Michael Irvin as a defensive player in terms of attitude.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Something feels different this year. I think it's that we are succeeding despite injuries. We have enough depth from recent drafts that we can fill holes. Seems in the past that an injury or two disrupts everything. Diggs and Parsons are special. We have two very good running backs. The OL works better than in recent years even with injuries. Dak is playing exceptional, and my favorite part is that he is finding a bunch of different guys, meaning he's scanning the field and finding close openings. I'm actually optimistic about this season. Just thought I'd put that out there before whatever is about to derail this season, because it's inevitable, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Something feels different this year. I think it's that we are succeeding despite injuries. We have enough depth from recent drafts that we can fill holes. Seems in the past that an injury or two disrupts everything. Diggs and Parsons are special. We have two very good running backs. The OL works better than in recent years even with injuries. Dak is playing exceptional, and my favorite part is that he is finding a bunch of different guys, meaning he's scanning the field and finding close openings. I'm actually optimistic about this season. Just thought I'd put that out there before whatever is about to derail this season, because it's inevitable, right?

The OL is healthy, the only guy missing is out for attempting to bribe a drug tester.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

It feels a little different, too. But I am always going to be cautious with Dallas because every time they reel me in, they let me down big time. I just am going to enjoy it week to week and not worry about long term season implications. 

But these next 5 games will tell us a lot about this team. If we are indeed for real and different, we need to rack up wins in these next 5. That is the softest part of our schedule. 

Closet aggy fan you are. Clickity clack.

Anybody know where I can find a replay of the game? I missed most of it, mainly the good parts 2nd and 3rd quarters, due to some  terribly inconsiderate visitors that showed up and demanded my time, and have now been written out of the will. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The Cowboys appear bettering almost every area this year save for a huge one: head coach.

So ultimately it’s impossible to have faith in them against teams like Tampa, Seattle, Arizona, and even a team like Green Bay. 

I also think their defense is fool’s gold, despite improving.

Even with McCarthy's shortcomings, I feel he's an improvement over Garrett. Plus, he brought in Quinn this year. I think McCarthy will make more mistakes before the end of the season but I'm glad Garrett is gone.

Goose Gosselin was on with Norm/Donny this AM and called the Cowboys "Super Bowl contenders."

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Been saying this forever but PFF's grades and their metrics to judge are bullshit. Their stats they compile are legit but not their grades

PFF is still a useful tool, but yes, you have to counter balance it with other data including watching the games.  FWIW, I don't think this was Parsons best game but he still is a force and makes plays.  LVE, from my eyes, had a more up and down game.  Diggs, even if he had issues in run fits and let a few completions go, his 2 turnovers trump all.  Great game.

Jaylon is all on Jerrah and the front office...... All.  This is how bad he's been.  This will open up snaps for Cox, which is better.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Why the fuck we do that 

Because he's not good?  Taking away snaps from Jabril Cox too..... Jaylon's actually a really good story in his comeback from a brutal, brutal injury.  It wasn't his fault he was overdrafted and overpaid.  The vitriol should go to the guys who were responsible...... Jerrah, Stephen and McClay.  Don't hate on Jaylon..... he gave it his all, it just wasn't good enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2