Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

Losing Quinn doesn't bother me. The Cowboys have Parsons, Diggs, Lawrence and a lot of scheme versatile players with a blueprint on how they have been used. I think they could be even better, especially if they can get a really good safety. It's keeping McCarthy that worries me, and Kellen Moore being Jerry's pet potential head coach in waiting.

The Broncos wasted a season by starting hard-ceiling Bridgewater instead of Giving Lock a season to prove he can take a step forward. Now they're likely going to blow a huge load on a big name FA qb or high draft pick that will probably fail. They probably do that anyway, but with knowing less what they have.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Losing Quinn doesn't bother me. The Cowboys have Parsons, Diggs, Lawrence and a lot of scheme versatile players with a blueprint on how they have been used. I think they could be even better, especially if they can get a really good safety. It's keeping McCarthy that worries me, and Kellen Moore being Jerry's pet potential head coach in waiting.

This is exactly why I don’t wanna lose Quinn. Would much rather Moore get poached. 

2 hours ago, DougO said:

The Broncos wasted a season by starting hard-ceiling Bridgewater instead of Giving Lock a season to prove he can take a step forward. Now they're likely going to blow a huge load on a big name FA qb or high draft pick that will probably fail. They probably do that anyway, but with knowing less what they have.

Drew Lock fucking sucks. Giving him a whole season wouldn't have changed anything. 

The only step forward Lock is going to take is to the unemployment line. 

Because I think they will have a clear answer at qb, even if that is Watson. That team is a qb away of being really good. It’s probably the best job opening up

Until the league determines Watson’s fate, and we know the disposition of his civil and potential criminal cases, a team would be stupid to give up the draft capital to trade. I expect Carolina to come after Watson hard; the owner lives that Clemson connection.

I agree that Denver is an attractive gig if they fire Fangio. The D is stout. The front office has done him lousy in getting a QB.

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't think we end up losing him this year. But, if we did, i think it would be smart to go after Zimmer. Word is he's out after the last game.

Edited by Pam Cummings

51 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't think we end up losing him this year. But, if we did, i think it would be smart to go after Zimmer. Word is he's out after the last game.

I would love to have Zimmer back, who never should have been kicked to the curb way back after fielding the league's best defense because Parcells wanted to shift to his 3-4. Zimmer should have eventually become the Cowboys head coach. There may be some bad blood there.

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Drew Lock fucking sucks. Giving him a whole season wouldn't have changed anything. 

They definitely weren't getting anywhere with Bridgewater who had already proven to be marginal starter, more like a decent backup, just a stupid move. Lock was still young and they had him under contract, let him either sink or swim, then move on. They just wasted a year with nothing resolved at qb, even knowing whether Lock had reached his potential.

I would love to have Zimmer back, who never should have been kicked to the curb way back after fielding the league's best defense because Parcells wanted to shift to his 3-4. Zimmer should have eventually become the Cowboys head coach. There may be some bad blood there.

Actually, Zimmer talked Parcells into keeping him as DC in 05 and he learned the 3-4 and implemented it pretty well. He left in 07 when Wade Phillips came in since Wade was going to be the HC/DC, to be Bobby Petrino’s DC in ATL and only stayed that 07 season. He hates fucking Petrino for leaving his team like that. Then went to Cincy.

Had Parcells left after 05 Sean Payton would have been our HC. Instead he stuck another year and he left for New Orleans.

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Actually, Zimmer talked Parcells into keeping him as DC in 05 and he learned the 3-4 and implemented it pretty well. He left in 07 when Wade Phillips came in since Wade was going to be the HC/DC, to be Bobby Petrino’s DC in ATL and only stayed that 07 season. He hates fucking Petrino for leaving his team like that. Then went to Cincy.

Had Parcells left after 05 Sean Payton would have been our HC. Instead he stuck another year and he left for New Orleans.

Zimmer coached the number one defense in the league with his 4-3 until Parcells made him switch, though Zim had never coached it before. The investment in the 3-4 that was forced by Parcells is why they then hired Wade Phillips as head coach, because they were basically at the point of no return without another overhaul. Zim wasn't happy about having his defense shitcanned.

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

I think he's probably a guy who is a backup for the next half a dozen years.  He's not starter worthy because of accuracy issues, but he's pretty young and supposedly a good teammate.  But yea, Drew Lock wasn't going to fare any better than Teddy this year.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Until the league determines Watson’s fate, and we know the disposition of his civil and potential criminal cases, a team would be stupid to give up the draft capital to trade. I expect Carolina to come after Watson hard; the owner lives that Clemson connection.

I agree that Denver is an attractive gig if they fire Fangio. The D is stout. The front office has done him lousy in getting a QB.

That will probably come this offseason unless the GJ comes back with criminal felony charges and Watson fights it.  The most likely situation is the GJ doesn't indictment him or comes back with some misdemeanor charges.  From there, he can then settle with all the women, then serve his suspension and hopefully for him, restart his career.

Good win tonight, especially for the offense.  Did exactly what we needed to.  Rematch with the Cards most likely.  

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Did Dak pass Mike White in QBR?

lulz. these were practice squad players dak was up against. mike white would have performed as well or better. facts are facts. I’m not going to argue with morons about it.

get ready for the first of four annual playoff disappointments from your $40MM/year joke of a quarterback. 

Thought this was an interesting exchange.  

FTR, our special teams are not VERY good.  Not at all.  I do really like our punter, which after Chris Jones for 5 years and his pussy leg, feels nice.  Good name too.  I also think our coverage units and particularly our punt return rush unit is pretty decent, but the biggest part of your ST is the kicker and he's..... not good.  

Additionally, our punt return portion of that team is fucking terrible.  We rank 30th in punt return average.  Our longest punt return is 21 yards.  Our kickoff return team is better but almost all of that is based on 1 return which went for a TD and because of injury, that returner can't return for us anymore.  Without that one play, we drop from 5th to 20th in the league.  We also are 30th in the league in special teams penalty so when it feels like all we get are penalties in our return game, there's a reason.  27th in penalty yardage on ST.  We're 27th in kickoff coverage letting up 26 yards per return.  That's bad.

So, it would seem as a whole, we have a good punting game, we rush the punter fairly well and cover punts well (6th in the league).  This is the best part of our special teams.  After that, we're pretty much bad.  We have a kicker with the yips and leads the league in missed XPs and is 24th in field goal accuracy, we can't cover kickoffs, we're really mediocre or below at returning kicks and we are one of the most penalized teams overall on ST.  Not sure how Ickes looks at special teams, but it really poor analysis.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

FTR, our special teams are not VERY good.  Not at all.  I do really like our punter, which after Chris Jones for 5 years and his pussy leg, feels nice.  Good name too.  I also think our coverage units and particularly our punt return rush unit is pretty decent, but the biggest part of your ST is the kicker and he's..... not good.  
Additionally, our punt return portion of that team is fucking terrible.  We rank 30th in punt return average.  Our longest punt return is 21 yards.  Our kickoff return team is better but almost all of that is based on 1 return which went for a TD and because of injury, that returner can't return for us anymore.  Without that one play, we drop from 5th to 20th in the league.  We also are 30th in the league in special teams penalty so when it feels like all we get are penalties in our return game, there's a reason.  27th in penalty yardage on ST.  We're 27th in kickoff coverage letting up 26 yards per return.  That's bad.
So, it would seem as a whole, we have a good punting game, we rush the punter fairly well and cover punts well (6th in the league).  This is the best part of our special teams.  After that, we're pretty much bad.  We have a kicker with the yips and leads the league in missed XPs and is 24th in field goal accuracy, we can't cover kickoffs, we're really mediocre or below at returning kicks and we are one of the most penalized teams overall on ST.  Not sure how Ickes looks at special teams, but it really poor analysis.  

Before last night Zeurline had missed 14 points in three games the cowboys lost by a combined 8 points. He has missed an XP or FG in 50% of his Dallas games.

How has he survived? He is bff with his coach Fassel from their Rams days and living off that watermelon onside kick against ATL which succeeded because their idiot hands team didn’t know the rules. McCarthy should have been pounding a table for months to cut this shitbird and have a tryout every Monday.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

our shitty kicker is pretty much the entire problem.  in theory you should never even have a kickoff return.  I don't really care much about our own returns.  just don't fumble.

35 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Before last night Zeurline had missed 14 points in three games the cowboys lost by a combined 8 points. He has missed an XP or FG in 50% of his Dallas games.

How has he survived? He is bff with his coach Fassel from their Rams days and living off that watermelon onside kick against ATL which succeeded because their idiot hands team didn’t know the rules. McCarthy should have been pounding a table for months to cut this shitbird and have a tryout every Monday.

there has to be a Zendejas brother floating around that can do better, right?

What’s Phil Dawson up to these days?  I’d actually be in favor of going for 2 after every touchdown at this point and being more aggressive on 4th downs when in field goal range.  I just don’t think you are going to find anyone better off the street right now, and a playoff game is a bad time to see if a guy can make kicks when it matters.