Arkansas game week

Wulaw Horn

38 minutes ago, Soliver465 said:

From the Atlantic betting story

No. 21 Texas at Arkansas – 7 p.m. Saturday on ESPN

TEAM SPREAD TOTAL MONEYLINE

+180

It’s understandably going to take more than one win for Texas to believe in Steve Sarkisian. But beating Louisiana is a good first step towards some trust. Handling a future conference foe wouldn’t be a bad second rung, and oddsmakers think the Longhorns can do it, favoring them by six points at Arkansas.

Hudson Card threw for 224 yards two touchdowns in his first career start while Bijan Robinson racked up 173 scrimmage yards in a 38-18 win over the Ragin’ Cajuns. Texas was consistent offensively, converting 10 of 15 third downs and producing points on nine possessions. UT also outscored Louisiana 24-12 in the second half. The defense held UL to four third-down conversions on 13 tries, 2-for-4 in the red zone, as well as four sacks and one turnover.

Arkansas started slowly in Week 1, trailing Rice at halftime before blowing the game open for a 38-17 win. Quarterback K.J. Jefferson was streaky in the opener and operated more as a complement to a run game that produced 245 yards. Trelon Smith had 102 of those with a rushing touchdown, topping triple-digit yards for the third time in five games dating back to last season. Arkansas’ defense forced three turnovers in the second half, two by Jalen Catalon. However, that unit was also responsible for eight of Arkansas’ 13 penalties against Rice. Arkansas will need to be more disciplined and avoid giving Texas extra chances on the road to beat Texas.

"Arkansas will need to be more disciplined and avoid giving Texas extra chances on the road to beat Texas."

Is Wescott working for the Athletic now? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

I managed to find a recast of this supposed game Arkansas played last week.

----

They have a young QB.  He can run very well.  He has accuracy issues and his teammates don't help him much.  The OL allowed a lot of pressure and the Arkansas WRs vs Rice secondary appeared to be an even matchup.

The OLs run blocking against Rice was okay.  They struggled to hit the second level but they didn't give up losses and seemed to get some push.  The Arkansas RBs aren't great.  There were a lot of yards left on the field.  Not a stretch at all to say the QB might be their best runner.  The Arkansas turf also appeared pretty loose and it affected both team's RBs at times.

----

The Arkansas safeties and LBs play the run well and rally to the football.  The LB corps was on a targeting-penalty rotation with 3 players out at different times of the game.  No one stood out but the backups didn't have any drop off.  WLB Bumper Pool (actual name) will miss the first half of our matchup.  The best Arkansas player is SS Jalen Catalon.  His play is a lot like BJ Foster. He's great in run support, but also gave up a 40ish yard TD on a blown coverage. Double moves were a consistent problem in man coverage, but their zone defense is really loose and had a few major busts.  The secondary did pull in 3 poorly-thrown interceptions and these are what kept the game from getting really dicey for Arky.

The DL was able to get a fair amount of pressure when they needed to, and they kept the second level clean to make tackles.  Rice did have a few nice runs, but their offense just wasn't ever really a threat to sustain a drive on the ground.

Pretty fair assessment. IIRC it was CB LaDarrius Bishop who gave up the long TD pass though, at least he was the one trailing the WR by about 15 yards. We really need to find a better 2nd corner - DB Myles Slusher may get some PT there this weekend after being held out with a minor injury last Saturday.

I thought the RBs did fine, averaged nearly 6 YPC but maybe it was on the OL I haven't analyzed it that much. The drops really hurt and we could have had 1-2 more TDs if we didn't have crucial drops that killed drives...also might have gotten KJ's completion percentage above 70% despite a poor game passing the ball from him. Treylon Burks dropping 2-3 passes is very uncharacteristic of him.

• Hook 'Em 2

247Sports' Week One (lol) Bowl Predictions:

Alamo Bowl

Projected matchup: Texas (1-0) vs. USC (1-0)

The Longhorns were supposed to be on upset alert in Steve Sarkisian's debut as coach against Billy Napier and Louisiana. But it didn't happen. Texas made it happen at the line of scrimmage and will be the betting favorite in next week's game at Arkansas. What did Sarkisian think of his debut?

“I loved it, man." Sarkisian said of the win, via Horns247's Jeff Howe. "There’s nothing like winning, I’ll tell you that much.” 

Sugar Bowl

Projected matchup: Iowa State vs. Texas A&M

Haynes King will have to play better at quarterback if the Aggies are intent on making the Alabama game mean something this season. He tossed three interceptions in his first career start, but did show off his wheels. No need to panic just yet for a talented group that may very well be fueled by its defense this season. Big 12 title hopeful Iowa State slipped past Northern Iowa, one of those just-get-it-over-with openers for the Cyclones. This sets up a top 15 showdown vs. Iowa next weekend with bragging rights up for grabs.

Orange Bowl

Projected matchup: No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Oklahoma

For those who considered this to be Lincoln Riley's best team he's had with the Sooners, there's a long way to go before that assessment becomes fact. Oklahoma did not pass the eye test against Tulane, at least not in the second half after nearly blowing a 23-point lead. Meanwhile, Alabama made quick work of Miami in Atlanta behind four touchdown passes from Bryce Young in his first career. The redshirt freshman looked like a seasoned vet against a talented secondary and his 94-yard strike to Jameson Williams in the third quarter is a mere taste of what the Crimson Tide's passing game could look like this fall.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-football-bowl-projections-Georgia-Clemson-Kirby-Smart-Alabama-Miami-LSU-Penn-State-170296483/#170296483_2

30 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Pretty fair assessment. IIRC it was CB LaDarrius Bishop who gave up the long TD pass though, at least he was the one trailing the WR by about 15 yards.

PA Mills vs Cover 3 (boundary trap). You don't see Jalen recovering because he bites really hard on the Dig and never realized the Post comes over the top.

1 hour ago, Gohogs14 said:

I thought the RBs did fine, averaged nearly 6 YPC but maybe it was on the OL I haven't analyzed it that much. The drops really hurt and we could have had 1-2 more TDs if we didn't have crucial drops that killed drives...also might have gotten KJ's completion percentage above 70% despite a poor game passing the ball from him. Treylon Burks dropping 2-3 passes is very uncharacteristic of him.

They did fine.  They didn't make mistakes, but I didn't see a lot of potential beyond following blocks.  I'm a little surprised the starter hit 100 yards.  I thought the freshman showed more potential, but his snaps were reasonably limited.

There were some drops, but they were oddly placed throws to begin with.  I don't remember a bad drop, but there were a few that would have been athletic catches that just weren't pulled in.

21 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Point is toothless hillabillies.

No, the point is that Longhorn fans continue to be (a) the most arrogant, while at the same time being (b) the least knowledgeable about what they are talking about in all of college sports fandom.  They never let the truth get in the way of

a dumb-azz comment.It's funny how you clueless clowns rag Arkansas for our mediocre record in the SEC.  Truth is, with the crappy teams Texas has had while playing in the Creampuff 8 (or whatever that shit-hole conference is you are finally leaving). your fans would have endured similar records had they manned up and joined the SEC 30 years ago...when they committed privately that they would, then vagina'd out when Ann Richards twisted your Bevo-nuts.  In the meantime, Arkansas is 4-2 vs. Texas over the last 30 years, even with the crappy teams we've had.  

It's going to be fun seeing Bevo passed around like a drunk party girl on Guadalupe at 3 AM in the morning when you join the SEC.

• Fuck You 55

20 hours ago, Pimphand said:

That's what happens when you're the punching bag team in your division. #math

Wrong again, dumb ass.  You've obviously too dumb to realize that it doesn't matter what OUR ranking is when you evaluate our schedule. It would be the same if was being played by Arkansas, Rice, Texas or UCLA.

THAT'S math.

• Fuck You 34

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Arkansas' last conference title was in the 80s.

Two responses...what does THAT have to do with how this thread started...with a dumb-ass Texas guy stating as fact that Deliverance was filmed in Arkansas (when it was not...Georgia and S. Carolina).  

And, in direct response to your comment...that would also be true of Texas if they had been man enough to honor their commitment and transfer to the SEC along with us 30 years ago.  

Orange (Big 12) meet Apple (SEC).  You'll find out soon.  Very soon, I hope.

• Fuck You 37

As long as we have Bijan, I can't bring myself to worry about any team. He's a player that can carry a team on his back for the most part. Plus Sark knows his shit and will scheme well enough to put Card in a position to succeed with Whittington, Worthy, and Rojo/K. Robinson. Maybe I should worry more about the defense, but I can't do that, either. Coach K knows his shit, too. I think we beat bith ISU and TCU. Oklahoma game is just different. No one knows how that will play out. Fucking Charlie-tard and Hermensa both beat them, and Sark is much, much better with a better qb. Okie will put up points, but their D looks pretty porous. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Why didn't they just copy paste their preseason predictions?

Amazed Iowa State is still being bought. Whatever. 

6 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

I am your master.  Get used to it Limp Brisket.

See, you're just proving the point. Although I do stand corrected at some level, because the proper word to describe you is dull more than stupid. Stupid people can be interesting while you are completely uninteresting in any way.

10 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

Two responses...what does THAT have to do with how this thread started...with a dumb-ass Texas guy stating as fact that Deliverance was filmed in Arkansas (when it was not...Georgia and S. Carolina).  

And, in direct response to your comment...that would also be true of Texas if they had been man enough to honor their commitment and transfer to the SEC along with us 30 years ago.  

Orange (Big 12) meet Apple (SEC).  You'll find out soon.  Very soon, I hope.

Wrong.

20 hours ago, pacman said:

Last year was difficult for sure but I am certain that isn't true otherwise.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2020-01-14

Once again, you win the "Dunce of the Day" award...Good GAWD, you guys are clueless when it comes to college football.  You know NOTHING outside of your own program.

Here's the list of the hardest schedules this year, as per ESPN FPI Index:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-toughest-schedules-Top-25-ESPN-FPI-Florida-Alabama-Arkansas-Ole-Miss-Tennessee-Georgia-164381452/#164381452_14

Here is a link using the same index for 2020 schedules:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/espn-ranks-secs-toughest-schedules-for-2020/

And just to show you that this isn't a "flash in the pan", here's a link to an analysis of the schedules from 2003 to 2010.  Scroll down to the third table to see the list of the toughest schedules over that 8 year period.   Pay particular note to who is #1 in SOS in that stretch, and who is #50.

See, I'm so 'fucking dumb" that I use actual, verifiable FACTS to make my points.  Something you "talk first, think later (if ever at all)" fools know nothing about.

It's gonna be interesting when Bevo steps out of a conference in which he bullied everyone and demanded coddling into a conference where he'll just be another team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 27

34 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They did fine.  They didn't make mistakes, but I didn't see a lot of potential beyond following blocks.  I'm a little surprised the starter hit 100 yards.  I thought the freshman showed more potential, but his snaps were reasonably limited.

Smith was damn good against Auburn and Florida last year, but literally every back beyond him on the depth chart is unproven and/or young. The backup does have more potential from a size/speed perspective though. I’m curious to see how they divide up the carries on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think the quality of the pig repartee in this thread is pretty indicative of the quality of education provided at their institute of “higher learning”

Boy...you can sure tell the difference in that Texas education by looking at the posts...NOT...

Funny how you jackasses criticize our posts when yours are just as bad, or worse.  Typical Austin arrogance.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 35

2 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

Once again, you win the "Dunce of the Day" award...Good GAWD, you guys are clueless when it comes to college football.  You know NOTHING outside of your own program.

Here's the list of the hardest schedules this year, as per ESPN FPI Index:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-toughest-schedules-Top-25-ESPN-FPI-Florida-Alabama-Arkansas-Ole-Miss-Tennessee-Georgia-164381452/#164381452_14

Here is a link using the same index for 2020 schedules:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/espn-ranks-secs-toughest-schedules-for-2020/

And just to show you that this isn't a "flash in the pan", here's a link to an analysis of the schedules from 2003 to 2010.  Scroll down to the third table to see the list of the toughest schedules over that 8 year period.   Pay particular note to who is #1 in SOS in that stretch, and who is #50.

See, I'm so 'fucking dumb" that I use actual, verifiable FACTS to make my points.  Something you "talk first, think later (if ever at all)" fools know nothing about.

It's gonna be interesting when Bevo steps out of a conference in which he bullied everyone and demanded coddling into a conference where he'll just be another team.

Using ESPN to rank anything to do with the SEC is absurd.  Pig's SOS averaged 19.4 over the last 5 years in Sagarin's rankings.  UT's averaged 23.8.  Why don't you act like a real wizard and make yourself disappear

3 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

You are not going to be here very long. 

Running Late Hurry Up GIF by Captain Obvious

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

Trying to make a point through selective data is pretty fucking dumb. You just left out 2011-2019 where your SoS was in the 60s. We get that you got boned by the SEC last year, but we are going to give you some real old fashioned prison-lovin’, beat you like you stole something football this Saturday. It will be fun to hear you squeal after that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WizardofHogz said:

No, the point is that Longhorn fans continue to be (a) the most arrogant, while at the same time being (b) the least knowledgeable about what they are talking about in all of college sports fandom.  They never let the truth get in the way of

a dumb-azz comment.It's funny how you clueless clowns rag Arkansas for our mediocre record in the SEC.  Truth is, with the crappy teams Texas has had while playing in the Creampuff 8 (or whatever that shit-hole conference is you are finally leaving). your fans would have endured similar records had they manned up and joined the SEC 30 years ago...when they committed privately that they would, then vagina'd out when Ann Richards twisted your Bevo-nuts.  In the meantime, Arkansas is 4-2 vs. Texas over the last 30 years, even with the crappy teams we've had.  

It's going to be fun seeing Bevo passed around like a drunk party girl on Guadalupe at 3 AM in the morning when you join the SEC.

Neg rep cause Guadalupe isn't a party street. Get lost, hillbilly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Prior to last week, my worries about playing at Arky were roughly the same as my worries about playing ULaLa: what if our coaches turtle and don't follow the script?

I will now never have that fear again. In the best possible way, I expect to be bored by a team that does exactly what they set out to do.

I expect the only drama in this game to be whether Arkansas can generate enough pressure to force Card into a mistake. And given how comfortable he already is with check downs, I further expect the answer to be no.

As for the other side of the ball, a chess match between PK and Briles is like playing poker with your neighbor's kids. It would take a seriously unexpected brain fart for Texas' defense not to have a good day.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

As for the other side of the ball, a chess match between PK and Briles is like playing poker with your neighbor's kids. It would take a seriously unexpected brain fart for Texas' defense not to have a good day.

Baby Briles is a good coordinator (and so's Odom for that matter). They're just dealing with lesser materials.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Baby Briles is a good coordinator (and so's Odom for that matter). They're just dealing with lesser materials.

I haven't completely given up on Briles yet but he wasn't great with Florida State talent either. I will say last year I thought he did a good job with Franks and we finished 8th in the SEC in total offense, so middle of the pack isn't bad at all considering where we were before. There's just so much inconsistency, we'll look unstoppable one drive then look like we've never played football before at times. And the cutesy trick plays and misdirection get a bit much. We tried a QB sneak on essentially 4th and 3 against Rice...just not sure what he thinks sometimes. But he does have his moments of creativity where he looks like a genius.

Either way some think this may be his last year here, he hasn't stayed anywhere very long and could end up back in Texas somewhere. I liked the hire but I'll admit it did seem like an odd mesh of styles with Pittman.

Edited by Gohogs14
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Prior to last week, my worries about playing at Arky were roughly the same as my worries about playing ULaLa: what if our coaches turtle and don't follow the script?

I will now never have that fear again. In the best possible way, I expect to be bored by a team that does exactly what they set out to do.

I expect the only drama in this game to be whether Arkansas can generate enough pressure to force Card into a mistake. And given how comfortable he already is with check downs, I further expect the answer to be no.

What's especially nice about our situation - and covers maybe my biggest concern going into next weekend - is say that Card comes out flat in a hostile environment. 

We have a more experienced guy that can come in off the bench and run the exact same offense. 

And like someone upthread said - I have zero worries about their weapons. Whitt and Bijan are fucking studs that aren't going to do stupid shit like put the ball on the turf or drop key passes (not that I'm calling out any of our previous backs... but, well, I guess I am).

It isn't that I don't have faith in Card. In a small sample size he seems like a guy that's hard to fluster - but he's still a RS Frosh that will be playing in a big time road environment for the first time in his career. I expect him to play well - but if he doesn't, we can still survive. I have a hard time believing both he and Casey shit the bed in this one. 

If Card throws for 200+, picks up a couple of firsts with his legs and doesn't turn the ball over (i.e. what he did against what may be a better defense) I have a hard time seeing pig stay in this one.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WizardofHogz said:

Wrong again, dumb ass.  You've obviously too dumb to realize that it doesn't matter what OUR ranking is when you evaluate our schedule. It would be the same if was being played by Arkansas, Rice, Texas or UCLA.

THAT'S math.

Shit I can't even respond to the fart huffer.  For fucks sake you certainly do donate Ws to your foes at staggeringly high levels which helps with their rankings year over year which does in turn boost your strength of schedule for playing them.  Now they do have to beat real competition too not just scrubs like you but don't worry little fella you are helping out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Using ESPN to rank anything to do with the SEC is absurd.  Pig's SOS averaged 19.4 over the last 5 years in Sagarin's rankings.  UT's averaged 23.8.  Why don't you act like a real wizard and make yourself disappear

lol...I pull up the last two years...in which Arkansas' SOS is #1...and then I go back and show that even 15 years ago it was the most difficult over an 8 year period...and your "comeback" is "why didn't you show more years"???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Meanwhile on that same 8 year list, Texas' SOS was #50...didn't hear you dispute that, big guy...Neither did you dispute the fact that little 'ol Ann Richards kicked your Bevo asses and kept you from joining the Big Boy conference 30 years ago, after you'd told the SEC you'd come along with Arkansas.  That's how/why S. Carolina is in the SEC now.

If you can't see the difference in what you're about to start playing (when you come to the SEC) compared to the cushy schedule you've been used to playing, your record in upcoming seasons will remind you...

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 27