Game Day Experience 2021

blacklab

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Please, please, please, someone put Bob Cole out of my misery!

I made sure to mention him in the fan survey I got today re: the game experience. NSIAP. https://texassports.fan-one.com/webApp/texasLAsurvey?id=%40ey%2Fj0IYa%2FLFnHJ%2FkeEDLCw%3D%3D

Maybe they’ll just read mine and keep y’all miserable forever. 

25C22F62-6958-4E9B-8E83-5A94ED3176BB.png

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Bernard said:

DKR-TMS is a horrible place to watch a football game. Sorry. It has to be said. The jock rock sound clips have been taken to ABSURD levels. And that’s just the start of the issues. I’ve been to hundreds of college football games; more stadiums than I can count. DKR-TMS is among the worst. Fact.

Bernard

+ Rep.  

I've seen a lot college football games stadiums and for some odd reason ours has gone from pretty damn good to pretty crappy.

Hard to believe anyone would neg Bernard for giving an opinion.  If you don't agree, just say why.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

+ Rep.  

I've seen a lot college football games stadiums and for some odd reason ours has gone from pretty damn good to pretty crappy.

Hard to believe anyone would neg Bernard for giving an opinion.  If you don't agree, just say why.  

Yeah the pro sports atmosphere hype machine is a beating. Tiresome af.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

+ Rep.  

When did you think it was better than it is now? Other than the major deal of taking away tailgating for many groups, people seemed almost universally pleased in rest of the changes CDC made in 2019. Getting into the stadium was a giant clusterfuck in 2020 (and so far this year as well), and student seating was doing fine until they changed it in 2019 (?). Do you dislike the physical upgrades, or is it just too much Bob Cole?

Come to think of it, you may have a point. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

41 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

When did you think it was better than it is now? Other than the major deal of taking away tailgating for many groups, people seemed almost universally pleased in rest of the changes CDC made in 2019. Getting into the stadium was a giant clusterfuck in 2020 (and so far this year as well), and student seating was doing fine until they changed it in 2019 (?). Do you dislike the physical upgrades, or is it just too much Bob Cole?

In the 1980s the band would take a lap around the track as they marched in.  The de-emphasis of the band -- a student activity that is key to my experience -- is about 50% of my issue.  They played ALL the music in the stadium. The band had seats with easy access to the field and you could hear them.  They played The Eyes, Texas Fight, Grandioso, and Wabash Cannonball.  We had Wally Pryor and Slippery Rock.  Everything connected to the experience originated on the campus.

We had the old concrete scoreboard, pre-TV screens/Godzillatron.  Those are useless to me unless they show replays of every major play, including bullshit calls from the Big XII refs.

To be honest, the last game I saw was Baylor in 2016.  The band seemed to be an afterthought.  During the game they had a camera trained on McConaughy's box; he stuck his head out and beat his chest (literally).  I don't care about movie stars and I have no interest in that.  I came to watch Texas students play football.

Before that it was TCU in 2007.  Livable concession/bathroom lines.  But I noticed there was more music, announcements, and commercials over the PA that added nothing.

I missed Jetpack guy era (thankfully).  I've only heard the Taco Bell gong a few times.  

I live in NJ and don't get back too often, though I'll try this year.  When you don't see games that often the little changes are noticeable.  

Edited by Bullneck
Edited for clarity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

In the 1980s the band would take a lap around the track as they marched in.  The de-emphasis of the band -- a student activity that is key to my experience -- is about 50% of my issue.  They played ALL the music in the stadium. The band had seats with easy access to the field and you could hear them.  They played The Eyes, Texas Fight, Grandioso, and Wabash Cannonball.  We had Wally Pryor and Slippery Rock.  Everything connected to the experience originated on the campus.

We had the old concrete scoreboard, pre-TV screens/Godzillatron.  Those are useless to me unless they show replays of every major play, including bullshit calls from the Big XII refs.

To be honest, the last game I saw was Baylor in 2016.  The band seemed to be an afterthought.  During the game they had a camera trained on McConaughy's box; he stuck his head out and beat his chest (literally).  I don't care about movie stars and I have no interest in that.  I came to watch Texas students play football.

Before that it was TCU in 2007.  Livable concession/bathroom lines.  But I noticed there was more music, announcements, and commercials over the PA that added nothing.

I missed Jetpack guy era (thankfully).  I've only heard the Taco Bell gong a few times.  

I live in NJ and don't get back too often, though I'll try this year.  When you don't see games that often the little changes are noticeable.  

You’re going old school. I assumed you were talking more recent. I agree with most of your points. The physical stadium is better than it was, but it’s misused in so, so many ways. I wish there was a way to have the band enter and march around the track without having a track, but alas, the lowered field and closer seating are a tremendous improvement. A small roomful of us old timers and some not-so-old timers could improve things immensely, as long as the interlopers and carpetbaggers keep out of the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You’re going old school. I assumed you were talking more recent. I agree with most of your points. The physical stadium is better than it was, but it’s misused in so, so many ways. I wish there was a way to have the band enter and march around the track without having a track, but alas, the lowered field and closer seating are a tremendous improvement. A small roomful of us old timers and some not-so-old timers could improve things immensely, as long as the interlopers and carpetbaggers keep out of the way. 

As the players get closer and closer to being pure professional players so does the game atmosphere

I told part of this story on another thread, but - somehow - my electronic tickets were hacked and redirected to a fraudulent email address where they were accepted (I tried to email my ENTIRE season ticket allotment to a friend).
After spending about 2:15 on hold or talking to someone (not a peon) at the LHF, I was told that they would be cancelled and reissued to my account within 24 hours. When that didn’t happen, I called the fella who I was working with, and - after putting me on hold - he informed me that my entire season ticket package was gone for good since they were accepted. I told the guy to pretend that I was CDC’s brother and find a way to correct this.
He put me on hold again and told me that if I filed a police report and emailed it to him, he would have them reissued. I filed a report with UTPD (that took multiple calls), and then it took a day-and-a-half to actually get the report because of their bureaucracy. I emailed it to my contact , but it took almost another full day to get the tickets reissued…by then it was the middle of Friday afternoon.
It’s gotdam ridiculous to make a 36-year donor and season ticket holder jump through hoops to get his entire season worth of stolen tickets reissued. What did they think I was doing, trying to pull off The Great Electronic Ticket Scam?
I might get a Tweeter account to Twit whoever really handles CDC’s account so I can issue a firmly worded complaint. 

You report a theft to a company, it needs to be a theft. And a police report is the only way to verify that. Welcome to adulting.

But was that 2 hours on hold? Thats some bullshit.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

You report a theft to a company, it needs to be a theft. And a police report is the only way to verify that. Welcome to adulting.

But was that 2 hours on hold? Thats some bullshit.

Yes, more like 1:58 minutes on hold. I didn’t use their callback option because it was late in the day, and they’re state employees…and they disconnected me three times before I was able to get on hold.

I don’t need a police report to get the bank to cancel and reissue my credit card if the number is stolen. And I don’t have a 36-year history of doing business with them.

32701817-72-B2-4-F6-A-BEA4-CBB9-C8-C4-C5

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:16 AM, pacman said:

Concessions were a disaster but I expected as much. If restaurants can't get workers, I can imagine the line is short to work in UT concession stands during a 97 degree game. Those hot boxes have to reach 110 degrees on a day like today. f that

Every single non-academic UT employee in Austin should be drafted at $500 for the day if they show up 5 hours before kickoff.  Divert whatever percentage of the gate is necessary to justify the ticket price.   Then pay a bonus of 25% of all sales to everyone who showed up including the entire security/gate staff.  The faster you get people in, the more time they have to buy concessions that are more rapidly served and consumed.   At 10 minutes before halftime, triple-staff every concessionaire.

This isn't fixed because CDC doesn't want to fix it.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, immamac said:

It was really brutally hot. Fuck the big XII. 

It is entirely within the power of Belmont, the Tower and CDC to have told Fox to fuck off long before the sec announcement.

Same thing with 11am Fair Park kicks.  We have rolled over on this shit for 20 years and been willing to sacrifice the pain and suffering of our own people for money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It is entirely within the power of Belmont, the Tower and CDC to have told Fox to fuck off long before the sec announcement.

Same thing with 11am Fair Park kicks.  We have rolled over on this shit for 20 years and been willing to sacrifice the pain and suffering of our own people for money.

And that's the way it's going to be until they start losing money because of the way they do things.

Money is the most important thing at Texas. Everyone knows that.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, gmr548 said:

Absolute clusterfuck getting into the stadium. Incredible really.

is it?

before the rona, ingress was a constant clusterfuck and concessions were a constant clusterfuck

rona or no rona it's fixable and not fixed because at this point, walksduck talksduck is duck

it's not fixed because CDC doesn't want to fix it

i have been on the fence about getting in on tickets with the pending sec home schedule but was waiting for this thread which tells me i was wise to wait for this thread

Here’s the thing:  football, by nature, is already not a great spectator sport.  It’s the opposite of hockey, which is absolutely thrilling live, but borderline un watchable on TV.  Football’s charms really are maximized on television. 

So, it’s imperative you maximize the game day experience, otherwise, why would I go?  And @Bernard is right, DKR is already a subpar stadium experience relative to somewhere like Camp Randall or the Rose Bowl.  The administration then compounds that by treating y’all like shit while turning you upside down and shaking every spare coin out of you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, taybo20 said:

I had no problem with the digital tickets being put into my Apple wallet.

And next game if they aren’t checking bags, I’ll bring a lot more food and drink in

maximum ingress efficiency requires 100% perfect performance of 100000 cell phones, 100000 users, 100000 software configurations, 1000 competent gate works, 1000 scanning devices, the software that supports them, on the devices, and in the cloud, and the bandwidth to support all of the above with failover and surge capacity.

can you stream 4k on your phone from anywhere in the stadium at any time?

no?

until that is in place, the idea of eTicketing is a farce and a decision made with no situational awareness, business acumen or customer service.

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I don't think this is as simple as you think it is.   I had a conversation with CDC about this several years back once Fox announced Big Noon Kickoff resulting in a marquee game at noon weekly.   He basically explained all of the schools ceded control of scheduling in exchange for a big pile of money.  He sees his job as making the game day experience (concerts, midway, etc.) fun that make people want to go out to games no matter the time.  He talked specifically about how OU has constantly complained about 11AM games for years they consistently get stuck with to no avail.    And with all the excitement about better kickoff times in the SEC, sure, I think overall it will be better but don't forget their marquee game is 2:30 every week.  I doubt that changes.

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They would really be doing everyone a favor if they let olds print out their gameday tickets.

Print out? You should see my mail order ticket stubs from Grateful Dead shows. They’re works of art. I’ve never been one to collect stubs from college sports and I’ve mostly used stubs from Blue Jackets games as bookmarks. But I have a shoebox full of concert ticket stubs and that’s a treasured possession.

I have this one handy:

6128AB3D-2FC0-4A4D-9215-A75AE5E29B4B.thumb.jpeg.701a2bfe5f21ba69ac3a3037423fd282.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, Captainant said:

I read in the UT student subreddit that they were turning away students with valid tickets for really no good reason

Kinda don't give a shit that the rich bluehairs that leave early and ask people to sit down during the game got their space invaded by people excited to actually watch the game

the comments from other students in that thread are just insane

they had an entire rona year to get this shit fixed

here's a sample

+++

astrocarlos21 · 2d

Bro/sis I felt this. My group got there MORE than 90 minutes before kickoff and like 20 minutes before kick off we got removed from section 29. The original email we got for the big ticket said we could sit in section 29(and I even asked the usher before sitting down if we could sit there to which he gave me a “yeah, I guess?” response. Now checking online it says the student section starts in section 30. BUT I LITERALLY GOT A BRACELET THAT SAYS SECTION 29. Shit makes no sense and they had no organization. They shoved the big ticket down our throats at every single event and they have 0 organization. https://imgur.com/a/1QYy1rN

+++

bijanator ·2d

100% agree with how much of a shitshow it was. Also the stadium staff are truly just dicks, I get it, it’s crowded and hot and chaos but they are some of the rudest people I’ve ever seen. For one they don’t seem to have any direction or common sense and also just act like you’re the one in the wrong always, I paid for that ticket I shouldn’t have to fight with some schmuck just to get back to the seat I paid for.

E: in a game that hot where they put the students in the side that gets blasted by sun the entire time you wouldn’t think you’d be punished for getting water, I was there the second the gates opened and it just felt so disrespectful the way they treat the students

On 9/5/2021 at 9:40 AM, Shaggybevo said:

Some of the vendors couldn't get their credit card readers to work.  It was like watching a caveman trying to fly a plane.

This.  My god this.   It's deliberate customer punishment at this point.   It seems there is a requirement to deliberately hire incompetent people to work games that cost a fortune to attend.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, yoladu said:

That has alway been one of my big fears and generally they have been pretty good at monitoring it - for decades.  I wonder why it was different yesterday. 

i'm not following - i rode the escalators down from the west deck exiting the domer game in '16, and unless the escalators were moving at different speeds, how does a pile up occur on the landings?

On 9/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, dcar00 said:

the East side concessions is a major clusterfuck every game.  having those beer stands right in the upper walkway is stupid. the lines block the path every game. Also, I'm thinking they need to get rid of the draft beer in most areas.  it takes too goddam long.  just do cans and have plenty of fucking ice.  this isn't hard.

Also, they need to have water only stations.  

CDC needs to get out of his damn box and walk around on the east side about mid 2nd quarter

how about unlimited bottles of free ice-cold water?  i hate wasting plastic, but this is insane.  if you have to take the hoar slut tv money to play at 330, then eat gate profits to keep your people out of ambulances.  what the everlovingfuck.   we make a jabillion dollars.  we can afford free unlimited ice cold water, and it should be delivered to the each row and passed out every 20 minutes until the shade hits.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, dcar00 said:

There is plenty of room to put the beer stations away from the walkways.

again from domer '16, the only explanation for the location of the west upper deck beer stations were that aggy was in charge of ergonomics and operational logistics.

you can't deliberately design a more fucked-up traffic flow then what i witnessed 6 years ago.  CDC has had plenty of time to fix this shit.  i fully expected to hear glowing reports about this game given a full year to fix shit.

unbelievable.

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i'm not following - i rode the escalators down from the west deck exiting the domer game in '16, and unless the escalators were moving at different speeds, how does a pile up occur on the landings?

I can tell you how.  There was nobody at the top portioning out entrance on to the escalator so people just kept getting on, frankly that was fine...UNTIL we got down to level 2 and an idiot was stopping people for the final run down to level 1 (and then only maybe letting 10-15 people go at a time).  So you have all the people who have not been stopped at the top running into this idiot at the last leg and almost pile ups.  This woman about 4 escalator steps down was freaking the fuck out as she saw it starting to happen.  It worked out but I asked the dude what the fuck was he doing and that he is going to get somebody hurt back up the line.....blank fucking stare.

18 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It’s gotdam ridiculous to make a 36-year donor and season ticket holder jump through hoops to get his entire season worth of stolen tickets reissued. What did they think I was doing, trying to pull off The Great Electronic Ticket Scam?

Negative situational awareness + Belmont incompetence.   I would send CDC an invoice for every hour you spent dealing with their clusterfuck at $200/hour, with detailed line items for every activity.

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

6-B5-E6-B92-B907-4551-B2-BB-8072-AAC1525

I did something similar for my favorite moment.  I said it was the few moments they stopped playing the horrible music over the sound system and I could hear the band play.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We are part of a conference that has a tv contract that we are bound to.  Explain exactly how it is we can just decide to say no without being in breach of contract, please.  I'd love to hear it.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Happens very easily when they don't have staff to insert breaks in the stream of people boarding the escalators and people are being added to the streams at lower levels.

• Haha 1