Game Day Experience 2021

blacklab

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I have never understood why they have day games in September.  Watching the UCLA/LSU dusk game on tv just re-enforced how dumb it is we play football while the sun is up during meteorological summer.  

This. At some point actual enjoyment of going to and playing the game has to trump TV slots. With todays TV streaming capabilities this is one thing that needs addressing.

You want a Texas noon game in August/September... you play it indoors somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We are part of a conference that has a tv contract that we are bound to.  Explain exactly how it is we can just decide to say no without being in breach of contract, please.  I'd love to hear it.

CDC: hi bob

Bowlsby: CDC!

CDC: effective immediately we're not kicking off at home before 6pm in september

Bowlsby: you signed a contract

CDC: pound sand, shove your contract, and if you don't pay us we will sue you for lost revenue due to the effect on the gate having to play on venus at 3pm if you don't move our kick..... everyone says we're big evil texas despite always supporting equal revenue sharing and handing over the orphan 5 money, unlike aggy.  if we're going to be big, and evil, it's time we act like it.  what's it gonna be, bob?

Bowlsby: but but but we have Corndog at UCLA at 7 on Fox

CDC: we don't care.  At 7 on FS1 you have Oregon State at Purdue.  Move them to 430 eastern in our slot.

Bowlsby: but but but the Pac and b1g have a Celebration of Special-ness that we have to support!

CDC: we don't care.  At 7 on FS2 you have ATHLETES UNLIMITED SOFTBALL: Team Jaquish vs Team Piper.

Bowlsby: but but but that would be TWO games drawing down our ratings for Corndog!  Fox never gets Corndog!

CDC: we don't care.  pound sand.  we're taking care of ourselves now.  move the kick or we move to discovery on lost revenue from early kicks.  Our next call is to 0u who can get away with anything in the press and national consciousness.  They're not big and evil, but as you know, we're in cahoots with them now.  We've heard they don't like early kicks, and no one has called them big or evil for sticking up for themselves, so we think we have leverage here.  What's it going to be, Bob?

• Hook 'Em 2

At gate 7 there was a big sign saying no outside drinks, so everybody was dropping their beer cans there, and this ticket scanner woman was repeatedly yelling at everyone about that. I wanted to tell her to take the sign down, put a can there, or shut the fuck up, but I’m working on controlling myself in public right now, so I just said sorry.

• Haha 3

International hip-hop icons Salt-N-Pepa will headline Longhorn City Limits prior to Texas Football's game versus Rice on September 18. LCL, the acclaimed gameday concert series, opens at 2 p.m. on the LBJ Lawn, located on the northeast corner of DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, with FREE pregame and postgame activities. All concerts are FREE and open to the public.

"Salt-N-Pepa have influenced millions of fans and an entire generation of artists during their illustrious career," said Vice President and Director for Athletics Chris Del Conte. "We can't wait for Longhorn Nation to enjoy the hip-hop icons at Longhorn City Limits on September 18."

https://texassports.com/news/2021/9/7/football-international-hip-hop-icons-salt-n-pepa-to-headline-longhorn-city-limits-on-sept-18.aspx

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I will be most disappointed if the MOB doesn’t find some way to take advantage of this….

Agreed.  I expect some digs about being money-grubbing scum and evil corporate assholes.  Should be fun.

Of course, traditionally they hate A&M a lot more than they dislike us, and they do like to pander to the home crowd a little bit, so I also expect something about the ags now having to run and hide because big brother is coming back, to take away all their toys.

I'd be real curious to see how the MOB would try to deftly handle a 50-something hip hop band comprised of women of color.  Good luck you fucking nerds. 

Also---Ms. Pepa.  Ms. Sandra Denton.  I don't know how else to say this, so I'm just gonna throw it out there.  If you like it...keep it.  If not, throw it back.  But I want to be on you.  And that has been the case since 1988.  

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agreed.  I expect some digs about being money-grubbing scum and evil corporate assholes.  Should be fun.

Of course, traditionally they hate A&M a lot more than they dislike us, and they do like to pander to the home crowd a little bit, so I also expect something about the ags now having to run and hide because big brother is coming back, to take away all their toys.

I they they’ll definitely have something to say about the Eyes. 

I really wish TV aired halftime. When I was in school I didn’t appreciate it - a great band is fun as hell to watch. 

7 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:
International hip-hop icons Salt-N-Pepa will headline Longhorn City Limits prior to Texas Football's game versus Rice on September 18. LCL, the acclaimed gameday concert series, opens at 2 p.m. on the LBJ Lawn, located on the northeast corner of DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, with FREE pregame and postgame activities. All concerts are FREE and open to the public.

"Salt-N-Pepa have influenced millions of fans and an entire generation of artists during their illustrious career," said Vice President and Director for Athletics Chris Del Conte. "We can't wait for Longhorn Nation to enjoy the hip-hop icons at Longhorn City Limits on September 18."

https://texassports.com/news/2021/9/7/football-international-hip-hop-icons-salt-n-pepa-to-headline-longhorn-city-limits-on-sept-18.aspx

push it real good.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

at least CDC won't have to worry about people bitching about long concession lines, crowded walkways, and huge lines to get into the stadium.  its a night game so probably 70% full for Rice.

image.png.e6ef4c7fe84e6ff632910ef9bfc97534.png

look at that home schedule, marquee teams one after the other. Its been since 2019 since I've stepped foot in DKR, but I'm guessing beers cost about as much as those tickets.  

That T+1 game just took on a different flavor as I think we'll be battling it out with KSU in front of 45,000 fans to see who becomes bowl eligible for a chance to make it to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix.  

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

How were things running last night? Had to miss for a wedding but heard they seemed to have more people working than the opener.

There was still a long line at my gate (27), but it actually moved pretty quickly, and the  line at the beer stand near my section was also manageable. Much better than the opener and with a bigger crowd. Probably helped that it wasn’t so damn hot that it forced the crowds under the stands.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This. At some point actual enjoyment of going to and playing the game has to trump TV slots. With todays TV streaming capabilities this is one thing that needs addressing.

You want a Texas noon game in August/September... you play it indoors somewhere.

have noticed that that shining and wonderful conference you just joined - the SOUTHEAST Conference - you, know, in the south east - the humid. south. east - plays an awful lot of day games too???

• Hook 'Em 3

How were things running last night? Had to miss for a wedding but heard they seemed to have more people working than the opener.

Was at LCL for “Push it” just after 6:30…then made it all the way to Gate 3 (On San Jac) and into our seats in 104 just as the band started marching on the field.

That’s about as smooth as we could hope for.

47 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

At gate six they replaced all the people scanning tickets with portable scanners.  Now they just have a bunch of scanners on stands so you scan your own tickets.  The people at the gate just watch to make sure nobody sneaks in and to help the technologically impaired

Yeah those scanners worked really well. BTW, if you don't like the lines getting in, get there a little early. We did that yesterday and the difference was like night and day compared to the LaLa game. There was zero line just 45 minutes before the game, & we got to hang out in a little ac for a bit before going to our seats.