9.13.21 Coach Sark press conference 11am

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

thats kind of what's pissing me off.  you and your team just got embarrassed... why arent you pissed?  Saban would probably barking at everyone during the press meeting

If you are experienced and extremely confident in your abilities as a head coach, you're going to take that loss in stride. Winning a national championship at UT isn't a one year project. Sark knows the talent level he has and what he needs to win it all. Should he have been blowing up on the sideline (ala Saban) in his second game as UT's HC? Don't think so. Nor should he show any lack of faith in his players to turn it around.

Did Sark fuck up by not putting Casey in sooner. Hell yes, and he knows it, and he basically admitted it when he started the PC with the announcement of Casey as next weeks starter. And he's right - we had some chances and blew it. Card missed two TD passes with bad throws. Drops, fuckups etc. I'm willing to give him at least two more weeks before calling for his head.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

Sark doesn't have the skins on the wall to throw temper tantrums like Saban, he needs to be professional, that is what I saw today, professionalism. You keep your ass reaming for the team behind closed doors. No need to air dirty laundry in public, it doesn't serve a purpose except to pacify a bunch of whinny ass fans who want to see fire and blood. Everyone saw the ass spanking on the field, that should be enough. No need to provide public corporal punishment of your kids in the restaurant. You do that privately.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

If you are experience and extremely confident in your abilities as a head coach, you're going to take that loss in stride. Winning a national championship at UT isn't a one year project. Sark knows the talent level he has and what he needs to win it all. Should he have been blowing up like Saban in his second game as UT's HC? Don't think so. Nor should he show any lack of faith in his players to turn it around.

Did Sark fuck up by not putting Casey in sooner. Hell yes, and he knows it, and he basically admitted it when he started the PC with the announcement of Casey as next weeks starter. And he's right - we had some chances and blew it. Card missed two TD passes with bad throws. Drops, fuckups etc. I'm willing to give him at least two more weeks before calling for his head.

I dont think anyone should be calling for his head.  Texas has committed to him and so we have to ride with him now.  Firing talks is far more damaging.

Interesting comments on mindset in the game, pointing out that the Defense was doing great and holding on until the Arky long ball after our first TD, then we lost it. Seems like a good observation.

Also clearly blames the OL troubles on missed assignments, not talent/physicality

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, Casey being a better scrambler was never a point in his favor until the oline was shown to be a mess.  Now it is.  I also think the biggest issue is neither qb is particularly good right now.  The old adage of "If you have 2 quarterbacks, you don't have one" is still true more often than not.

I honestly don't believe Card is a poor or incapable scrambler (if anything, prior to these past 2 games most of us believed Card often gave up on the pocket too early). Card's issue seems to be due to his lack of experience and his resulting indecisiveness because of it. He hesitates and overthinks everything, when and where to scramble as well and when to sling it. Building up his instincts at the position is going to take some time. I don't follow recruiting as closely as some, but didn't he only play a one game his sophomore year, the entire season his junior year, and then part of his senior year of high school? 

• Hook 'Em 2

He was a 2 year starter in high school.  The main reason he played wr as a sophomore was because Lake Travis had a good senior qb who went on to sign with TCU.  From what I have read, he was a qb all the way through Lake Travis' system other than that year.  I do think he would beat Casey in a race, but it doesn't translate to the field because of some combination of the reasons you mentioned.

Edited by kevwun

56 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I always love the “coach needs to be more angry” thing.  If he comes out all pissed off and angry then he looks like he has lost control and is rattled.  His message to the team is what truly matters and that is behind closed doors.  I’m guessing he conveyed that he was very annoyed by Saturday’s performance.  

this.  the coach needs to get his point across whatever way he feels is best.  faking anger won't go very far with a player.  the players now....that's another story.

that said, I don't mind if the coach is pissed off and angry at dumb fucking refs.  that seems to work.

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I honestly don't believe Card is a poor or incapable scrambler (if anything, prior to these past 2 games most ofhe us believed Card often gave up on the pocket too early). Card's issue seems to be due to his lack of experience and his resulting indecisiveness because of it. He hesitates and overthinks everything, when and where to scramble as well and when to sling it. Building up his instincts at the position is going to take some time. I don't follow recruiting as closely as some, but didn't he only play a one game his sophomore year, the entire season his junior year, and then part of his senior year of high school? 

he's probably not much "slower" than Casey but Casey appears way more elusive/slippery to me.

Edit: checked 40 times Casey 4.55, Card 4.79.  

Edited by dcar00

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  the coach needs to get his point across whatever way he feels is best.  faking anger won't go very far with a player. 

I am concerned if he had to fake anger Saturday night. I absolutely did not.

Then again, I did not go to sleep with my head resting on stacks of Benjamins.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Stop being an idiot. It was also said about Sam Ehlinger (because it was also true about Sam Ehlinger) as discussed on this very thread. Go be stupid somewhere else.

I must be missing your point, because you're making mine... My point is that not throwing receivers open is almost pointless as a nit to pick and is an irrelevant point if you're winning...  I brought up guys who won titles (except Teddy B...)

I think people forget Sark is calling offensive plays. When exactly does he have time to chew out refs and throw hissy fits when he is responsible for the next play call. Just curious, wait until the defense is on the field again and the cameras are off of you. Anyone here have any experience doing this?

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I honestly don't believe Card is a poor or incapable scrambler (if anything, prior to these past 2 games most of us believed Card often gave up on the pocket too early). Card's issue seems to be due to his lack of experience and his resulting indecisiveness because of it. He hesitates and overthinks everything, when and where to scramble as well and when to sling it. Building up his instincts at the position is going to take some time. I don't follow recruiting as closely as some, but didn't he only play a one game his sophomore year, the entire season his junior year, and then part of his senior year of high school? 

Looks like he's trying to not run... Because the coach doesn't really want him to run.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I must be missing your point, because you're making mine... My point is that not throwing receivers open is almost pointless as a nit to pick and is an irrelevant point if you're winning...  I brought up guys who won titles (except Teddy B...)

It's absolutely not pointless because it's critical if you want to be efficient against top defenses. The window stays open much longer against Colorado than it does against better defenses. 

The good news is it's fixable because he reads the field and finds the guy who's going to come open just fine most of the time. He just needs to trust his eyes more against DBs with better recovery speed. 

Saying the OL failures were due to things like “missed assignments” infuriates me.

The OL failures are a direct result of 3 things-

1. Poor talent eval’s
2. Poor development
3. Poor system implementation

We need an influx of 10 OL this off-season. Period. I dont care if we have to sign 20 or 25 OL next class…..fix this fucking problem. For once.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm not saying Sark should "fake" anything. I just don't get a sense the loss bothered him enough, but we haven't seen him show much emotion yet. I hope he got a little pissed off in the locker room and film room bc he should have.

He said he hates loosing what do you want? Kick over the podium, kick puppies, curse Jesus? He stayed professional and composed, I like that. I think it shows confidence that they can fix some of the issues and put a product on the field that doesn't make us kick puppies, curse Jesus and murder hookers.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

He said he hates loosing what do you want? Kick over the podium, kick puppies, curse Jesus? He stayed professional and composed, I like that. I think it shows confidence that they can fix some of the issues and put a product on the field that doesn't make us kick puppies, curse Jesus and murder hookers.

the dude your opinion GIF

Hopefully. We'll know a lot more after the TCU and OU games. 

54 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he's probably not much "slower" than Casey but Casey appears way more elusive/slippery to me.

That is a huge difference and also gives us a huge advantage at the position. I hope Casey lives up to my expectations. 

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Win, win and win some more then you can talk like this and nobody will talk about how dangerously old fashioned you are.  Until then you gotta do that kind of work behind the scenes.  Sark was fine today for where the program is and where he is as a coach.  

My point exactly.

We need a nuts kicker coach that isn’t trying to be PC all the time. I want a coach that talks about Arkansas not as a faceless opponent but a opponents ass we are about to kick then hop on a plane to get out of the stinch filled air of Arkansas. If he keep approaching everyone as a faceless opponent then he won’t last past next season. I’m still fucking livid at how nonchalant we played for the first half then came out fucking worse after a halftime of fucking no adjustments. Instead of talking about how to beat Arkansas I think they were all in trainers room getting their pussies doctored up. O-Line had halftime surgery because they’re pussies got torn like a white girl taking a big black cock. Unfuckingbelievable. Drinking on a Monday at 3:00 isn’t good.

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Believe it or not most people don't respond well to people like Nick Saban in any business, line of work or sport. You are right. It is my opinion and I won't change it.

Saban's team and coaches seem to respond well to him if their business is winning football games and championships. @closetojumping and others agree with my take. All we have is opinions on this board.

Most think the Horns weren't prepared on Saturday night. Buck stops with Sark and I'm glad he took responsibility for it.

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Believe it or not most people don't respond well to people like Nick Saban in any business, line of work or sport. You are right. It is my opinion and I won't change it.

Lol if his way wasn’t getting a good response he wouldn’t be winning champinchips year after year after year. Good analogy though. Just say I”m a whiny pussy that doesn’t like to be yelled at”.

You don’t need to say we all or most people don’t like it. I actually respond better after I get my ass chewed when I played sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Saban's team and coaches seem to respond well to him if their business is winning football games and championships. @closetojumping and others agree with my take. All we have is opinions on this board.

Most think the Horns weren't prepared on Saturday night. Buck stops with Sark and I'm glad he took responsibility for it.

Maybe.  But, what if Sark starts Casey and he goes in there and throws all over their dumbfuck sellout to stop the run defense?  The TD's were there to be had if you hit the receivers.  Great gameplan by Odom.  Take away the run game and make the freshman QB beat you with his arm.  Worked like a charm.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol if his way wasn’t getting a good response he wouldn’t be winning champinchips year after year after year. Good analogy though. Just say I”m a whiny pussy that doesn’t like to be yelled at”.

You don’t need to say we all or most people don’t like it. I actually respond better after I get my ass chewed when I played sports. 

I'm not actually talking about the players but whatever. I'm glad you respond well to an ass chewing. I'm pretty sure the team took one too. My point is it doesn't need to be public.

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Win, win and win some more then you can talk like this and nobody will talk about how dangerously old fashioned you are.  Until then you gotta do that kind of work behind the scenes.  Sark was fine today for where the program is and where he is as a coach.  

Wonder how much coke paid for him NOT to drink their product. Haha. Oh well.

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Maybe.  But, what if Sark starts Casey and he goes in there and throws all over their dumbfuck sellout to stop the run defense?  The TD's were there to be had if you hit the receivers.  Great gameplan by Odom.  Take away the run game and make the freshman QB beat you with his arm.  Worked like a charm.

Dude, I've been on Team Casey from the start. 

Arky was too big a stage for Card at this stage of his development, apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We need a nuts kicker coach that isn’t trying to be PC all the time. I want a coach that talks about Arkansas not as a faceless opponent but a opponents ass we are about to kick then hop on a plane to get out of the stinch filled air of Arkansas. If he keep approaching everyone as a faceless opponent then he won’t last past next season. I’m still fucking livid at how nonchalant we played for the first half then came out fucking worse after a halftime of fucking no adjustments. Instead of talking about how to beat Arkansas I think they were all in trainers room getting their pussies doctored up. O-Line had halftime surgery because they’re pussies got torn like a white girl taking a big black cock. Unfuckingbelievable. Drinking on a Monday at 3:00 isn’t good.

Keenan-OK.gif

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm not actually talking about the players but whatever. I'm glad you respond well to an ass chewing. I'm pretty sure the team took one too. My point is it doesn't need to be public.

Don’t worry it won’t ever be public at Texas. From Mack to sark it’s never been that way. And maybe that’s a issue. Your fan base would fucking love you if you showed some emotion that this isn’t happening again, and by not happening again I’m not talking about losing a game but playing like passionless pussies and with no fight or no energy isn’t happening again at Texas.

38 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Saying the OL failures were due to things like “missed assignments” infuriates me.

The OL failures are a direct result of 3 things-

1. Poor talent eval’s
2. Poor development
3. Poor system implementation

We need an influx of 10 OL this off-season. Period. I dont care if we have to sign 20 or 25 OL next class…..fix this fucking problem. For once.

I don’t disagree with your evaluation of the current personnel, but I’d advise you not to visit the 2022 recruiting thread if 10 o-line commitments is what you’re expecting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Don’t worry it won’t ever be public at Texas. From Mack to sark it’s never been that way. And maybe that’s a issue. Your fan base would fucking love you if you showed some emotion that this isn’t happening again, and by not happening again I’m not talking about losing a game but playing like passionless pussies and with no fight or no energy isn’t happening again at Texas.

Maybe we get all the chill brahs.

I don’t disagree with your evaluation of the current personnel, but I’d advise you not to visit the 2022 recruiting thread if 10 o-line commitments is what you’re expecting. 

Yeah. Depressing.

We need:
Cole
Conner
Devon
At least 1 of earnest Greene or dewberry
Add Neto now that Helton is fired at USC
Pay banks 1mm to flip. Pay his parents 1mm.

That’s 6

Add 2 transfers
Add 2 grad transfers.

Then maybe 10-12 late risers lol.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Card also has a 4.28 shuttle and that bears out with my impression that he's good at change of direction and decent speed. Casey seems to have better burst and tends to do single cuts and go. Both are excellent, mobile scramblers but Card wasn't doing anything well in this last game. He was playing in a shell shocked fog whereas had he been decisive on when to run, he'd have done better than he did. This one game doesn't have to define him anymore than it does the team. Without a doubt, Casey should have been put in sooner but I don't fault Sark for starting Card initially.

• Hook 'Em 1