9.13.21 Coach Sark press conference 11am

bigup2dahorns

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is Greek life a big thing at Rice?

not a thing at all.  no Greek system there.  they all live in "residential colleges," like Harry Potter.  so the house you live in is like your fraternity/sorority.  as i'm told by all my Rice people.

https://admission.blogs.rice.edu/2016/10/16/rice-university-the-hogwarts-of-the-south/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Good, bad or otherwise, you still need a pocket.

OL was not good, but some of what they are being blamed for was due to Card's poor pocket presence.  On one sack in particular Card bailed on a decent pocket and ran right into the arms of one of the three pass rushers who was otherwise engaged by an online man.  There were other instances where Card created some of the pressure himself.  Run blocking was putrid though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The only time he had a pocket is when they dropped 8 and rushed 3. Tough to find an open receiver like that. You need a running game to stop that. That didn't exist.

Or a screen pass to Bijan where you just let the off play side lineman come on through.  Though the idea of these linemen making competent downfield blocks isn't one I am high on.  

• Like 1

Texas Tech game will be an 11:00a kickoff on ABC.  Long-term forecast has high of 90 that day, so should make for a rather pleasant tailgate and first half anyway.  Second half will be ruined by high sun heat and our offensive line.  

44 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Meme Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

and this is why he had to start Casey.  His OL is a shitshow and the guys behind them are worse.  This should have been known before Louisiana.  Casey had actual game tape lighting someone up, he already knows he's the better athlete and has a at least a decent arm.  He fucked up but at least he is admitting it and not doubling down. 

if we win the next 3 and play OU tough we can move on.   He's gonna have to change his game plan some though.  reality strikes hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The only time he had a pocket is when they dropped 8 and rushed 3. Tough to find an open receiver like that. You need a running game to stop that. That didn't exist.

I might have to bite the bullet and rewatch, but it seemed to me that Card counted to like 5 Mississippi before either getting sacked or throwing the ball.  Could've been longer.  That made me think he is in over his head and couldn't make a decision.  I think he is accurate enough on the short throws (yards off on the long ones though) so even if he would do the 5 yard passes he would've been ok.  Caveat - what is so hard about 3rd downs and throwing *past* the sticks or at least within a yard or 2?  Granted I know there were things not seen on TV - like if anyone got open - but it still seemed like bad decisions.  Also - what happened to using Bijan as a receiver?  That seemed to work well on game 1.

• Like 1

Casey played well in the bowl game last year, and I understand giving him the start this week. But Arky was in prevent D and I put zero stock in his performance in the 4th quarter. Card was definitely overwhelmed, but I put a lot of that on the coaching staff. 

I'm good with Thompson winning the job on the field. If he gets our offense rolling, fuck yeah. But if he struggles, Card deserves an opportunity to win the job back. I'd love to figure this shit out before the TCU game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Izhmash said:

It's rare that a picture of cheerleaders makes my dick go limp.... but damned if you didn't find the picture that did it.

It went limp because you just found eight ladies who would fire your sexual harassment ass, oh and be in a position to make that call at their very first job.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and this is why he had to start Casey.  His OL is a shitshow and the guys behind them are worse.  This should have been known before Louisiana.  Casey had actual game tape lighting someone up, he already knows he's the better athlete and has a at least a decent arm.  He fucked up but at least he is admitting it and not doubling down. 

We'll see. Sark is a QB coach and his instinct after all those practices was to start Card. If that's all thrown away because of one game, we are in way bigger trouble than we thought.

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Casey played well in the bowl game last year, and I understand giving him the start this week. But Arky was in prevent D and I put zero stock in his performance in the 4th quarter. Card was definitely overwhelmed, but I put a lot of that on the coaching staff. 

I'm good with Thompson winning the job on the field. If he gets our offense rolling, fuck yeah. But if he struggles, Card deserves an opportunity to win the job back. I'd love to figure this shit out before the TCU game. 

won't matter who the QB is unless the Oline gets their shit together. i have faith in flood. it's not like he forgot how to coach. sometimes, it's on the players. flood inherited these fucksticks.

we just need to start straight up paying bags and bags of money to 4&5 star Oline recruits. it's no coincidence that the last time we were good was when we had a great oline. it starts and ends with the 5 motherfuckers up front.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

OL was not good, but some of what they are being blamed for was due to Card's poor pocket presence.  On one sack in particular Card bailed on a decent pocket and ran right into the arms of one of the three pass rushers who was otherwise engaged by an online man.  There were other instances where Card created some of the pressure himself.  Run blocking was putrid though.

this. I'm sure Sark saw on tape that Card made it worse at times and his decision making on when to run was poor.  some of that is on Sark because he preaches not running.

Card wasn't the reason we lost but he didn't help matters at all and that's what we need the QB to do right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We'll see. Sark is a QB coach and his instinct after all those practices was to start Card. If that's all thrown away because of one game, we are in way bigger trouble than we thought.

Maybe. 

First, QBs are considerably more protected in practices and scrimmages than any other position.  Not only do they have the red jersey, no one wants to be the guy who knocks QB1 out for the season.  Card may have relied on that and "balled out" against the D.

Second, our DL ain't that great, so he probably saw little pressure.

Sarkisian likely learned more about Card and Thompson in the previous 12 days than he learned in the previous 8 months.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

well yeah we are because his OL is a shitshow.  Casey gives us an added dimension that could help.  We don't know how close the competition was and its all subjective anyway.  they need a runner and a leader.  My guess is the team felt Card being overwhelmed in the moment.   The guy isn't a lost cause or done by any stretch.  he wasn't ready yet which Sark didn't really know until he saw it happen real time.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, boilerhorn said:

Sarkisian likely learned more about Card and Thompson in the previous 12 days than he learned in the previous 8 months.

Sark trotted out Card to start the second half. He wanted him to win the job. 

I think going with Casey this week vs. Rice is a bit reactionary, but I guess that's what happens when you get curb stomped on national TV and piss off the entire fanbase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I think going with Casey this week vs. Rice is a bit reactionary, but I guess that's what happens when you get curb stomped on national TV and piss off the entire fanbase. 

Disagree on it being reactionary. I think it makes a lot of sense given we're still in the preseason schedule and not yet to conference games. You've seen what Card can do under pressure and it's not great. You haven't seen what Casey can do given the start. Yes, Rice is not a great opponent but it's an easy opponent to see if Casey can master. If he can't, you go back to Card and let him play against Tech. We have 2 games to figure out the QB situation because TCU is going to be a battle. So get Casey out there, see what he can do. If he's good, roll him out against Tech and repeat the evaluation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It’s why I wish Sark had put in Casey a lot sooner to get an idea of what Casey does when the game was still competitive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Casey should get Rice to get his feet wet with the new offense in a mainly full game.  you aren't going to learn anything new from Card starting against Rice.  

the calculus by Sark is likely "what is our best option to get wins against TCU and Tech with this shitty OL?"  Not necessarily "who is the best QB in my offense?"

I feel somewhat good that Sark is thinking about wins and not "being right" at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Disagree on it being reactionary. I think it makes a lot of sense given we're still in the preseason schedule and not yet to conference games. You've seen what Card can do under pressure and it's not great. You haven't seen what Casey can do given the start. Yes, Rice is not a great opponent but it's an easy opponent to see if Casey can master. If he can't, you go back to Card and let him play against Tech. We have 2 games to figure out the QB situation because TCU is going to be a battle. So get Casey out there, see what he can do. If he's good, roll him out against Tech and repeat the evaluation. 

Did Casey deserve the start this week because of a decent trash time performance? He faced a completely different Arky defense in the 4th quarter.

Did Card deserve to lose the job because of a 3 quarter disaster where the entire team came out flat? 

The expectation this week is that the offensive performance improves greatly with a weaker opponent. So whoever starts this game is in great position to start the following week. 

IMO both QBs should get a lot of playing time in the 1st half vs. Rice. I hate rotating quarterbacks but this is one game where it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s probably right in terms of getting them to some level of level of adequacy. You don’t see the play we saw Saturday night without unit-wide mental errors. It is possible the line greatly improves from here on out and still is a mediocre, game-to-game bunch. In fact I kinda of expect that. 

After all these years of seeing the same thing from all these OL players. (JR, SR, Best OL Player - Soph, JR, SR).

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by DanTheHorn

35 minutes ago, elguapo said:

There were at least a few times where Card put himself under pressure against a 3 man front with his lack of pocket presence by just drifting into one of the DLs area.

I saw that happen at least once, where I saw Hudson step up into a pocket where he should've stayed back, and he walked right beside his OL to where the DL could just step to the side of the OL to get the sack. The OL has issues, but Hudson made it worse for them.

What I saw also was that Casey played fast, but Hudson played slow. Hudson hasn't caught up to the speed of the game yet. 

So two things Hudson needs to work on.

Also, don't compare Hudson to Simms. Simms' issue was an inability to read the coverages, especially LBs dropping into coverage (2001 Big XII CG). But he was fast and had fine pocket presence.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Did Casey deserve the start this week because of a decent trash time performance? He faced a completely different Arky defense in the 4th quarter.

Did Card deserve to lose the job because of a 3 quarter disaster where the entire team came out flat? 

The expectation this week is that the offensive performance improves greatly with a weaker opponent. So whoever starts this game is in great position to start the following week. 

IMO both QBs should get a lot of playing time in the 1st half vs. Rice. I hate rotating quarterbacks but this is one game where it makes sense. 

Yes. Doesn't matter to me what he was facing. The offense was better when he came in. The knock on Casey is not doing it in practice. Card can be a practice machine but he was missing open WRs during the game. The OL is going to be bad for a while. So see what the more mobile QB can do with them.

Yes. He was overwhelmed. He can earn the job back. Rattler was benched last year and it benefitted him. 

Correct.

No. Rotations suck

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Texas Tech game will be an 11:00a kickoff on ABC.  Long-term forecast has high of 90 that day, so should make for a rather pleasant tailgate and first half anyway.  Second half will be ruined by high sun heat and our offensive line.  

Good. 11 am in Austin is not a recipe for Tech success. 

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

I love tortillas for breakfast. Or Brunch, lunch or any other time.

Me, too.  But there's something about that smell (particularly flour) a little while after waking up.  First thing's first, either the fresh air outside and/or coffee smell. But then cooking tortillas right after that.  And then shortly after that, if it's gameday, the smell of a bloody mary with just the right spice level.  

Just got a text from my little cousin (no pics) at Tech.  With this kickoff time, she's asking where her and her sorority friends can drink at 9am before the game.  I don't want to send them to some rapey frat tailgate.  Where do you send a dozen 20 year old Tech girls notorious for making bad decisions?