House of the Dragon

crash_davis

HoD was wildly boring for huge stretches of time, and i'm still pretty much nonplussed by 99% of the characters, but come on son- HoD >>>> S8 of GoT. it was the most spectacularly, hilariously awful season of TV in history, imo anyway, especially when considering how great the series had been prior to S8. i mean sure, seasons 5-7 had their fair of garbage episodes and inexplicable changes in characters (eg tyrion is now dumb and boring and he and lord verys just kind of hang out on the periphery now, meanwhile the dirty old priest guy gets all the air time), but the way that D&D just completely unraveled their entire story and exposed themselves as completely hapless writers was unprecedented. i doubt we'll ever see failure that spectacular ever again. 

never forget:

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Looks more entertaining. I hope it's betters than S1.  I wish I was more enthused.

I already forgot what was going on. One eyed Trevor Lawrence kid killed a little weeny bastard kid and now there will be a war?

Edited by BeardIP

Sometime in May, I'll have to re-watch the last few episodes of S1 in order to remember who the hell all of these people are and how they relate to each other.  GoT was so spread-out that I'd re-watch the entire last season before the new season would drop.

If I remember correctly, I'm rooting for the blonde chick and not the creepy guy with the eye patch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I already forgot what was going on. One eyed Trevor Lawrence kid killed a little weeny bastard kid and now there will be a war?

I watched the New Rockstars trailer breakdown yesterday and he gave a S1 recap and I was like WTF, this all happened? Zero memory outside of the dragon killing the kid.

16 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Same.  Back with GOT, I used to remember 90% of the plot between seasons.  With this, I only remember a few scenes.  Dude's face rotting away . . . surprise beheading . . . kid dying on the dragon.  

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's been so long (2 years?) I don't even remember what happened. Some kid got pushed off a dragon, but I don't remember which side he was on.  

I started a re-watch from episode 7.  Plenty of backstory for S2.

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's been so long (2 years?) I don't even remember what happened. Some kid got pushed off a dragon, but I don't remember which side he was on.  

Evil Trevor Lawerence 

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Pushed off is a kind way to put it.... 

• Like 1

I have extremely high hopes for the coming seasons, but the lengthy breaks need to stop. 

While entertaining, the book reads like a history textbook. I was hoping the show would be more approachable. 

Shogun is a smashing success. Hopefully this turns up the pressure on HOTD to do good work. 

I don't remember what happened because I never really knew what was going on. All the characters looked the same with names so similar it was impossible to tell anyone apart. 

Edit: I mean seriously - Daemon, Aemond, Vaemond, Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Jacaerys, Larys, Laenor, Viserys, Corlis, Criston. This shit is fucking stupid. 

Edited by irishtexan

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't remember what happened because I never really knew what was going on. All the characters looked the same with names so similar it was impossible to tell anyone apart. 

Edit: I mean seriously - Daemon, Aemond, Vaemond, Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Jacaerys, Larys, Laenor, Viserys, Corlis, Criston. This shit is fucking stupid. 

Don't watch The Last Kingdom then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Shogun had source material written by an excellent author, House of the Dragon has source material written by a piece of shit

I don’t think GRRM can land the plane. But who knows? With Ozempic he might live well into old age and figure it out and finish the books. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Hermanator said:

No, they wouldn't be able to challenge Rhaenyra if she had roasted them all with the dragon. And no one else in that land was going to challenge them if they didn't challenge a weak, crippled king in the decades he ruled. That's the whole point of this conversation, it was shit writing to put that character in that position to begin with. 

This plot has more holes than Swiss cheese and a couple are wider than South Austin's mom's butthole. 

She just seems too calculated to make a spur of the moment choice.  And this isn’t modern times, they don’t have videos of the green side talking shit

I seem to be in the same boat as most wrt remembering very little from S1. Where I seem to part is I really fucking liked the first season. Particularly the second half of it. Guess I need to squeeze in a rewatch.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

I thought the first season was extremely slow paced and overall not very well done.  The timelines and cast changes on top of the weird stupidly similar names just made it a slog.  I'll be watching the second season but I don't expect much better.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Dug season one after expecting it to suck. Let’s go. #teamblack

I rewatched GoT not long ago and there are spoilers for how this all plays out. 

Yes, I remember that.  Fortunately, I have forgotten what the spoilers were!  

I do remember Joffrey giving away some spoilers.  Just going out on a limb here, I'm going to presume the Targs win because the Hightowers weren't mentioned at all in show GOT. Not that I remember anyway.   

Edited by bschoolprof