This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Guys sark isn't going anywhere. He's close to pulling his head out of his ass and I hope he does. 

Sark is more likely to get fired for not singing the eyes again than he is for losing every game next season. 

If we go 5-7 or 6-6 and lose key recruits I could certainly see him being forced to make major staff changes and be coaching for his job next year. Hopefully that is not how this season plays out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Guys sark isn't going anywhere. He's close to pulling his head out of his ass and I hope he does. 

Yeah. He’s obviously got some shit to clean up. But the ‘21 team had zero upper class talent and shitty QBs, and neither of those things were on Sark. I’m not sure how much you can do with that. This year we’re rolling with a freshman QB and 2 freshmen starting on the OL. They’re inconsistent, which is to be expected. I’m not saying I’m sold on Sark, but I’m not convinced that he can’t be good. And mostly, I’m not into firing him for the sake of firing him. Seems we did that a couple years ago (which doesn’t upset me because I do like Sark more than Herman).

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2

I know everyone here loves xavier worthy and whittington and thinks omg what are we going to do without them. Wait until we get actual NFL caliber receivers going in the sark system. We have parts of the offense building and the defense is definitely developing as well. They want him to have a full cycle of high quality NFL level players that develop and are seniors. We are playing at whatever level we are right now with some dudes that happen to be real good, but didn't go through 4 real years of development or 3. 

We all bitch that sark can't win with players who aren't perfect, but eventually the level of execution will just get there - we've all seen it, players are almost always open. Blocks get missed that shouldn't get missed on assignment, less that the OL gets fucking mauled by the DL/LB/EDGE. 

Mental errors kill this team and sark doesn't know how to coach a team that is prone to mental errors by sticking to whats working instead of doing whatever the fuck it is he wants to do in a perfect world. Eventually, the theory is that the program becomes a talent factory much like Ohio St, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia where next man up is actually execute the same playbook and sit the guy making mental errors. We aren't there yet and sark can't coach a team that has that level of imperfection still. If he could this team would be stomping the shit out of everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

Idk how true this is but there were rumblings the search was a ruse and Powers (rip) wanted to hire the first African American coach in our schools history.  I don’t know how true that was as some here have said mora jr was offered

I remember that Charlie was like the 4th or 5th choice after the others declined.

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah. He’s obviously got some shit to clean up. But the ‘21 team had zero upper class talent and shitty QBs, and neither of those things were on Sark. I’m not sure how much you can do with that. This year we’re rolling with a freshman QB and 2 freshmen starting on the OL. They’re inconsistent, which is to be expected. I’m not saying I’m sold on Sark, but I’m not convinced that he can’t be good. And mostly, I’m not into firing him for the sake of firing him. Seems we did that a couple years ago (which doesn’t upset me because I do like Sark more than Herman).

Pretty much where I am. I listen to the guy, and he seems rational and focused.  His play calling makes sense. He isn't just thumbing through the playbook picking at random. He seems to get addled when shit goes south on him. But running him off to try the next guy, according to our recent history, isn't a good strategy either.

• Hook 'Em 1

You guys are truly some weirdos. NCAA football is about the ability to evaluate player talent and plug them into the spots you need them in. The reason we have been wandering in the desert for so long is because since 09 we've been bad at recruiting QBs. We had good QB play for the first decade of Mack's tenure. Then he went all in on GG and gave Case a scholly. After that it was disaster after disaster. Ehlinger settled that down but we recruited nothing behind him which led to the disaster that was last year. We are finally getting good signal callers as well as the ability to redshirt them. Secondly, our recruiting in the trenches has been abysmal. We've struggled to get quality players on BOTH side of the ball for a decade there. 

The teams that are winning consistently aren't doing so because they have some savant of a HC making magical in game decisions. They are winning because they have good QB play and they are recruiting well year over year. That is why I am not calling for the coach's head. I see us evaluating talent well and stacking quality QBs, which hasn't been done here in forever. We are headed in the right direction. Our QB had as bad a game as you can imagine and yet we still scored 34 points and had a chance to win the game in the end. That's decidedly different from a year ago where a bad game from a QB would result in an absolute blowout. We are 1 point, 4 points, and 7 points from being undefeated. We are close. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

I definitely don’t think Sark is the guy at this point but Herman did not do him any favors with the lack of decent upper classmen especially lineman. I do think he will be forced to make some defensive changes after this season. I think he gets 4-5 years unless Arch somehow decommits or we have some scandal off the field.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those firms have a better hit rate, especially the one we used than they appear. 

id hire 2-3 of them and get multiple opinions. 

Any notable openings the last few years that used a search firm? They don’t seem to be as popular anymore but maybe I’m wrong. Seem to hear more about them with like AD openings.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are truly some weirdos. NCAA football is about the ability to evaluate player talent and plug them into the spots you need them in. The reason we have been wandering in the desert for so long is because since 09 we've been bad at recruiting QBs. We had good QB play for the first decade of Mack's tenure. Then he went all in on GG and gave Case a scholly. After that it was disaster after disaster. Ehlinger settled that down but we recruited nothing behind him which led to the disaster that was last year. We are finally getting good signal callers as well as the ability to redshirt them. Secondly, our recruiting in the trenches has been abysmal. We've struggled to get quality players on BOTH side of the ball for a decade there. 

The teams that are winning consistently aren't doing so because they have some savant of a HC making magical in game decisions. They are winning because they have good QB play and they are recruiting well year over year. That is why I am not calling for the coach's head. I see us evaluating talent well and stacking quality QBs, which hasn't been done here in forever. We are headed in the right direction. Our QB had as bad a game as you can imagine and yet we still scored 34 points and had a chance to win the game in the end. That's decidedly different from a year ago where a bad game from a QB would result in an absolute blowout. We are 1 point, 4 points, and 7 points from being undefeated. We are close. 

I want to believe every word of this. I do. I hope PK can get his end of it straightened out. Hopefully there is talent coming on that side of the ball too. I'm going to send my letter to Santa now.

4 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I definitely don’t think Sark is the guy at this point but Herman did not do him any favors with the lack of decent upper classmen especially lineman. I do think he will be forced to make some defensive changes after this season. I think he gets 4-5 years unless Arch somehow decommits or we have some scandal off the field.

There is no perfect coach. Mack sure as shit wasn't perfect. Our schemes and play calling under Mack were lackluster, and relied on hero ball the two years when we were special. Saban was reluctant to change his offense to something more modern for years and finally adjusted after getting beat by a couple spread teams. Urban specialized is using his QBs as battering rams. The one thing they all did well was recruit so well that their flaws didn't matter. If Sark can keep his current recruiting momentum he can turn it around. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Judging NFL failure for a college coach is stupid.

Disagree. I think how and why they failed in the NFL is an important data point. John Mackovic being essentially fired by his players at KC was vital information on how his tenure at UT would go.

I don't think winning at Temple and Baylor necessarily means he will work here anyway. Those jobs are very different than ours. Would you consider him without the Panthers? If we had just hired him in 2020?

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, 1leggedduck said:

I want to believe every word of this. I do. I hope PK can get his end of it straightened out. Hopefully there is talent coming on that side of the ball too. I'm going to send my letter to Santa now.

Defense is really holding us back if you ask me. We blame the O for not scoring in the second half of the OSU game, and rightfully so, but the D also can't be giving up 24 first half points as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 1leggedduck said:

Hopefully there is talent coming on that side of the ball too. I'm going to send my letter to Santa now.

A lot is riding on our ability to develop the young edge players in the program (Burke, Finkley, Tapp, Bledsoe), find a couple LB's in the portal who can bridge the gap to the guys in the 2023 class and holding onto the difference makers in the secondary we have committed (Muhammad, Williams). Easier said than done. We've done a better job recruiting the front 7 than we ever did under Herman but understandably the results gotta start happening now and into 2023.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I agree with everything in this post with regards to the offense and I am in no hurry to fire Sark as I think he was left with a shitty roster and is starting to rebuild it after all these years.  I see really exceptional recruiting on the offensive line in the last 2 years which is great.  Ewers and Manning are as good a get at the QB slots than anyone could have hoped for.  Cook at WR and Baxter at RB is also really good so it looks like we are bringing in top tier talent on the offensive side of the ball.  My biggest concern is the other side of the ball. We are recruiting good players but not the top tier 5 star players on defense and we will need them in order to get where we all want this program to be.  As frustrated as I have been with the offense struggling in the second halves of games, in my view if we had a good defense that didn’t give up all the leads we wouldn’t be so upset with Sark’s play calling.  It’s not like the offense is turning the ball over on their own 5 yard line over and over in the 4th quarter leading to the blown leads.  The defense just plain sucks and we can blame PK or the players or both but that shit needs to get fixed or we will continue to lose games we shouldn’t know matter how good the offense becomes under Sark.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Disagree. I think how and why they failed in the NFL is an important data point. John Mackovic being essentially fired by his players at KC was vital information on how his tenure at UT would go.

It is a red flag to me that Rhule basically put a governor on Joe Brady in Carolina, ran him out of town, had no idea what he wanted to be on offense and pissed off a lot of players.

Doesn't mean he can't come back to college and be successful, but as was mentioned above one of the most important qualities a coach can have is the ability to adapt and he seemed to do a poor job of that in the NFL. Maybe his style is for college only, who knows.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Any notable openings the last few years that used a search firm? They don’t seem to be as popular anymore but maybe I’m wrong. Seem to hear more about them with like AD openings.

They’re used. Why wouldn’t you try and gather as much data though if you’re hiring someone for 5-10 million a year is my point. Don’t rely on just one firm. 

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There is no perfect coach. Mack sure as shit wasn't perfect. Our schemes and play calling under Mack were lackluster, and relied on hero ball the two years when we were special. Saban was reluctant to change his offense to something more modern for years and finally adjusted after getting beat by a couple spread teams. Urban specialized is using his QBs as battering rams. The one thing they all did well was recruit so well that their flaws didn't matter. If Sark can keep his current recruiting momentum he can turn it around. 

Nothing in Sarks coaching history says he can do that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Just about every coach except Mack since Akers has had a shit tenure at Texas. Imo that says more about Texas than coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’re used. Why wouldn’t you try and gather as much data though if you’re hiring someone for 5-10 million a year is my point. Don’t rely on just one firm. 

The history is not the future.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Just about every coach except Mack since Akers has had a shit tenure at Texas. Imo that says more about Texas than coaches. 

Does it?  It’s not like any of them went on to be great elsewhere.  We just hired shit coaches from McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, and Herman that did nothing after UT fired them that I know of.  Mack Brown was a good not great coach who amassed talent like anybody in the country which lead to our only championship in 40 years.  If Mack could have hired real coordinators during his time at UT we would have been able to get a few more possibly on top of that.  

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What should Texas be doing different then? Besides your favorite answer of dropping bags to recruits.

Pretty much the complete opposite of what they’ve been doing for the last 40 years of hiring coaches. Whatever our process is and who is involved sucks. 

maybe research Ohio state and see what their process is. They rarely miss. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

“IF” is the operative word. Recruiting gets harder after multiple mediocre seasons. Plus Saban, Urban, and even Mack have records of success despite their weaknesses. Hope Sark can get us there.

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Recruiting has improved largely due to NIL. Ewers and most of last year's O-line haul wouldn't be here if not for NIL. As long as we can (legally) drop bags, we'll get players, regardless of who the coach is. The ability to hire a great staff is far more important.

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Meh. Charlie has proven to just suck. Herman we fired after a 7-3 season

51 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't think winning at Temple and Baylor necessarily means he will work here anyway. Those jobs are very different than ours. Would you consider him without the Panthers? If we had just hired him in 2020?

Would’ve been a no from me but this board like rhule.  

4 hours ago, TXpride said:

Recruiting has improved largely due to NIL. Ewers and most of last year's O-line haul wouldn't be here if not for NIL. As long as we can (legally) drop bags, we'll get players, regardless of who the coach is. The ability to hire a great staff is far more important.

This is a false truth and overstated. Players want to go to the NFL and that is a bigger concern of theirs than you think. Otherwise only the rich schools would get good recruits. 

4 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

“IF” is the operative word. Recruiting gets harder after multiple mediocre seasons. Plus Saban, Urban, and even Mack have records of success despite their weaknesses. Hope Sark can get us there.

Saban had one good season at MSU. 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Washington my guy. Washington is not Texas. He has hauled in 3 good QBs and two top 5 classes in a row, and they've seemed to be on the mark with their evaluations so far. 

• Haha 1

Sark has the support at the top. Unless he magnificently fails over the next year and a half, he’s getting at least four years to turn the ship around. There is a belief that Strong and Herman left the program in a state that requires some time to turn around. And bolstering that view is what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan. Stop wasting brain cycles on a potential coaching change happening any time soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am willing to give Coach Sark 4-5 years to clean up Tom Herman's mess. The Herman coaching staff was not very good in recruiting lineman and that situation is getting fixed by the current staff.  Very few are willing to acknowledge that this year would have been Herman's Waterloo based on the fact that current players were recruiting against him. To this point, Coach Sark as not said that he is either "redeveloping the UT tradition" or "going 7-4 and 8-3 is preferable at a place like UT" or "learn to live with it". He does not appear to be the type who will hold one to incompetent assistants like Mack did with Greg Davis. We shall ee but I for one is willing to give him some time./

• Hook 'Em 4

Sark has the support at the top. Unless he magnificently fails over the next year and a half, he’s getting at least four years to turn the ship around. There is a belief that Strong and Herman left the program in a state that requires some time to turn around. And bolstering that view is what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan. Stop wasting brain cycles on a potential coaching change happening any time soon. 

Yep. No insider, but just reading the various tea leaves, there’s no indication that the prevailing view isn’t to just ride with Sark at least until Texas is in the SEC, barring total calamity.

I have seen that Michigan point floated several times and find the logic questionable given that there are some, uh, differences in Harbaugh and Sark’s career track records. But that’s another conversation and ultimately a waste of breath, as you said.
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah, I want Sark with Manning for at least 3yrs -- so the 5yr plan makes sense as long as recruiting and coaching on defense really improves...  

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Hook 'Em 1