Texas BBQ

Washpark

Yeah I went to Interstellar a couple of weeks ago, everything was good.  The spicy/sweet pork rib rub was a departure from what I'm accustomed to, and honestly a departure from what I normally like on pork ribs, but it worked.  It was good.

I'd say the brisket was very good.  Moist, tender, well cooked, decently peppery rub though I usually like even more pepper, but that's just personal preference.

Unfortunately they didn't have beef rib on the day I went.  I'll definitely hit it again as well.

I'm not doing @ChampKind credit with this photo because the brisket was fantastic. Loved the pepper crust. Only reason I put sauce on half was because I wanted to try with and without. 

Also liked the black bean touch. Breath of fresh air from typical BBQ beans.

Bucks def gets my rec the next time yall are in Houston.

20190504-122942.jpg

Edited by ztejas
Gr
  • Like 3

Everything I had was good (mac and cheese excluded — not bad, just kind of bland).  granted, it’s a low bar for BBQ on the 620 corridor, but even when considering there is no good bbq out here it still qualifies as good.  Not trying to put it with the elite, but it will be a place for me to go out here if the quality keeps up.  

I had a good experience at interstellar bbq when I went 2 weeks ago. Sausage and brisket were good. Ran out of pork ribs so didn’t get to try them. This is easily the best bbq option near me. Not much to get in the cedar park / northwest area. Next closest to me is probably brotherton.

Hit up j mueller in gtown today (yes, he was open).
Baby backs, beef rib & brisket.
All pretty good.
Brisket was heavy on pepper and salt like I like with nice smoke ring.
Pork ribs spot on.
Beef ribs never been my thing, but they were great.
Sorry didnt try any sides, but whole pickle was legit.
Free beer to boot

• Like 1

I'm not doing [mention=286]ChampKind[/mention] credit with this photo because the brisket was fantastic. Loved the pepper crust. Only reason I put sauce on half was because I wanted to try with and without. 
Also liked the black bean touch. Breath of fresh air from typical BBQ beans.
Bucks def gets my rec the next time yall are in Houston.
20190504-122942.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. That brisket would have been infinitely better were we slicing to order. But with 80 people in the door all at once, serving it pre-sliced from a serving line was the only way to pull it off.

Nice to have met you. Come back and see us again sometime.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:52 PM, utee05 said:

I had a good experience at interstellar bbq when I went 2 weeks ago. Sausage and brisket were good. Ran out of pork ribs so didn’t get to try them. This is easily the best bbq option near me. Not much to get in the cedar park / northwest area. Next closest to me is probably brotherton.

Yup, it's good, and not just measured against NW Austin's low standards.

I don't think it's borderline incredible, as apparently neonmoon's coworkers do, but it's tasty and wI'll be happy to hit it up regularly.

Honestly though, I loved Noble Pig sandwiches and finding a place that good, near me, is the new priority.

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup, it's good, and not just measured against NW Austin's low standards.

I don't think it's borderline incredible inedible, as apparently neonmoon's coworkers do, but it's tasty and wI'll be happy to hit it up regularly.

Honestly though, I loved Noble Pig sandwiches and finding a place that good, near me, is the new priority.

You might have misread Neon.

I went to Interstellar the Saturday the fully opened.  As far as I remember (there is a write-up earlier in the thread), the food was pretty good.  They still had some kinks to workout on the service (moving the line) side.  I decided to give them a month or so and go again.  Certainly worth another trip.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

You might have misread Neon.

I went to Interstellar the Saturday the fully opened.  As far as I remember (there is a write-up earlier in the thread), the food was pretty good.  They still had some kinks to workout on the service (moving the line) side.  I decided to give them a month or so and go again.  Certainly worth another trip.

Ah yes, I clearly misread! 

Yeah it's way better than borderline inedible. In fact it's completely edible. :)

It wasn't busy the day I went, got there around 11:15 or so, on a Friday.  Nobody in line ahead of me, food served quickly and served hot.  No operational issues for me, and the free beans was a nice surprise.

Buddy of mine — and sometimes cook partner — will be doing his first pop-up this Sat in Cowtown. He *might* be getting close to opening a place of his own, which makes me sad since he’ll no longer be allowed to cook in my events. Oh well, go see Darrell Byers at Seven Acres BBQ if you’re near there on Sat. (He said if the weather is really shitty he will be selling out of his friends’ Tributary Cafe.)

a5dc8a834353e6a9dbd3dc24b589241f.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Buddy of mine — and sometimes cook partner — will be doing his first pop-up this Sat in Cowtown. He *might* be getting close to opening a place of his own, which makes me sad since he’ll no longer be allowed to cook in my events. Oh well, go see Darrell Byers at Seven Acres BBQ if you’re near there on Sat. (He said if the weather is really shitty he will be selling out of his friends’ Tributary Cafe.)

I can vouch for this being some great BBQ.  Go get ya some if you can make it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

The relleno sausage is really, really good.

Zaid at Smokin Z’s down in Bayou Vista makes some pretty damned good sausage too. His chorizo breakfast sausage is mind blowing. It has chorizo and egg in it

wait...eggs already in the sausage?

giphy.gif

On 5/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, ChampKind said:

Really wanted to check it out before you moved down there. Now it looks like I’ll have to try both locations :)

If I come in on Friday can I get in and out in say 1130-1 and will there be tasty meat left?

I never got around to hitting bodacious last month and going over TM list thinking about where i want to venture ..... Has anybody hit up #6 in tomball "tejas chocolate craftory" dont think i've seen it mentioned here

Also leaning towards franklin ofcourse but was trying to hold off until i could get down to austin for a few days to hit multiple spots

Guess options are 3hrs to bodacious/franklin or 4 to houston/tomball to kill a day off

Interstellar BBQ:
Stopped by today and picked up to go.  Tried the moist brisket, beef rib (seems to be a Saturday special), pork ribs and pulled pork (sausage had started late and wasn’t quite ready).  Sides were beans (ranch-style beans, which are free), smoked scalloped potatoes and Mac and cheese.  All of the meats were good — brisket and beef rib were smokey and tender with a nice peppery rub.  Pork ribs had a really goos spicy/sweet rub. Pulled pork was tender. The brisket is prime, and the pulled pork is Duroc.  The ranch style beans were a nice change from the usual pinto beans you normally get.  Smoked scalloped potatoes tasted, well, smokey.  Mac and cheese was fine but nothing special.  Will go back.
imgur>

I’ve been twice. Run by the guys that own Noble Pig so they should understand meat.. good experience both times - moist brisket, pork ribs and jalapeño sausage all pretty good. Sides were decent if those are important to you. Easily the best option in that part of Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never got around to hitting bodacious last month and going over TM list thinking about where i want to venture ..... Has anybody hit up #6 in tomball "tejas chocolate craftory" dont think i've seen it mentioned here

Also leaning towards franklin ofcourse but was trying to hold off until i could get down to austin for a few days to hit multiple spots

Guess options are 3hrs to bodacious/franklin or 4 to houston/tomball to kill a day off

Tejas is in my personal top 5. Never had a bad meal there and I have eaten there at least 10 times. Get the chile relleno sausage, you won’t regret it. Brisket is top notch. Chocolate is also excellent.
  • Like 1

Tejas is in my personal top 5. Never had a bad meal there and I have eaten there at least 10 times. Get the chile relleno sausage, you won’t regret it. Brisket is top notch. Chocolate is also excellent.
High praise coming from the swayze.... And ya know being #6
Think that decides my next 2 spots...bodacious and tejas

Was leaning tejas currently because i couldnt recall it being on here but could of missed it with all the posts
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Tejas is posted literally on this page, like 10 posts above you asking about it. 

Valentina's

Brisket taco could have used a touch more smoke, salt, and pepper. Tortillas were thick and pillowy like your mom's labia.

Ribs had nice pull with well rendered fat but again I thought they needed more smoke. Still put down 4 of them.

Jalapeno cheese sausage was ok, the regular was forgettable. Cheese tasted like American.

Beans had a good amount of pepper and bacon, and the smoked corn/elotes had good roast corn flavor. Needed a lime wedge or three on the side.

e4462089b605d8b3f73a1c0b62272406.jpg

Edited by elfenix

31 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

High praise coming from the swayze.... And ya know being #6
Think that decides my next 2 spots...bodacious and tejas

Was leaning tejas cuirrently because i couldnt recall it being on here but could of missed it with all the posts

In my top 5 as well.  In addition to the items mentioned above, do yourself a favor and get the carrot souffle.  My favorite non-traditional barbecue side of all the barbecue joints I've been to.

• Like 1

Hit up Bodacious for lunch...brisket was great ; had a great thick bark
Sausage and turkey were strong

Not sure if they always do it or just a little to much spice on ribs but i liked it a lot
Started of sweet and then got a little heat on the back-end25c90964b99b1c974cc29d5d39e92966.jpgb3cc20e259f4f63d207f6c8c3c1251fa.jpgd9058af9cae80c144a0a0f9d815c48f6.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

In my top 5 as well.  In addition to the items mentioned above, do yourself a favor and get the carrot souffle.  My favorite non-traditional barbecue side of all the barbecue joints I've been to.

I wouldn't even say non-traditional side. It's one of the best side dishes out there.

11 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Been hearing lots of good things about a place in Royse City called "Smoke Sessions". Gonna try it out this Friday, will report back.

I posted a review of smoke sessions in some thread a number of months back...

My impression was “meh” but maybe I hit it on a bad day. 

On 5/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, C-Man said:

how was it?  where is his spot going to be?  FW is about to have a lot better bbq and thats great.

20 hours ago, ChampKind said:

FW is about to have a plethora of good bbq options. Craft bbq has absolutely blown up across the state. Errybody wants to play bbq cook these days

Just need someone to come to Fredericksburg and I will be happy. Sorry, but Macs and the local options just aren't cutting it for me and Black Board is 35 min away unfortunately. 

I know this isn't your thread, but really interested to hit your new spot up @ChampKind - haven't been to Galveston in years but will be going later this year!

I ducked into Mac's whilst in Frederiscksburg last weekend and it wasn't terrible.  Their brisket slices were about a quarter-mile wide but had pretty good flavor, probably a little underdone but nothing awful.  The ribs were tender and had pretty good flavor too, though not much smoke.   My kids were whinging and it was actually a godsend because one of them loves pizza, the other loves burgers, neither can agree, except they both love BBQ.  It was good enough to shut them up, so I was thankful.

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I ducked into Mac's whilst in Frederiscksburg last weekend and it wasn't terrible.  Their brisket slices were about a quarter-mile wide but had pretty good flavor, probably a little underdone but nothing awful.  The ribs were tender and had pretty good flavor too, though not much smoke.   My kids were whinging and it was actually a godsend because one of them loves pizza, the other loves burgers, neither can agree, except they both love BBQ.  It was good enough to shut them up, so I was thankful.

Not saying it is terrible, just that it isn't on par with any of the craft BBQ spots basically anywhere. It is unfortunate because they are probably here to stay based on how much they paid for the location and the improvements they put into it, which probably keeps anyone else from coming to town.

Spoiler

I just know a handful of people who had negative reactions...after the fact if you get my drift. 

Just need someone to come to Fredericksburg and I will be happy. Sorry, but Macs and the local options just aren't cutting it for me and Black Board is 35 min away unfortunately. 
I know this isn't your thread, but really interested to hit your new spot up [mention=286]ChampKind[/mention] - haven't been to Galveston in years but will be going later this year!

The inclusion of full bbq to the existing cafe menu will take a bit of time. The new place is functioning pretty well and has solid business. The last thing we want to do is alienate the regulars by immediately changing up a menu they are familiar with. So it may be 30 days or so before all our stuff is integrated
  • Like 1