Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went with my brother and his kids to Blue Hole to close out the summer. Planned on Terry Black’s but due to the mixed reviews and Austin’s uber shitty traffic, I called an audible and went Valentina’s. I had breakfast there before but not a full lunch spread. Was goddamn great.

JdEjEyUW_o.jpeg

giphy.gif

• Like 2

So, I can't figure out this Big & Bright Festival. Its being put on by Kissing Tree and Texas Monthly. Kissing Tree is a 55+ community outside of San Marcos. And the website and tickets really don't say anything about ages other than in the FAQ there is a question about 'Can Children Attend' and the answer is that grandkids and grandpups are welcome.  So I think its open to everyone, but I emailed them to make sure.

Anyways, on Saturday September 15th from 12-2pm, they are going to have BBQ Shop Talk with Daniel Vaughn

We Texans take our barbecue very seriously. Join Texas Monthly Barbecue Editor, Daniel Vaughn, for an interactive, behind-the-pit experience. Learn the tricks of the trade and ask Daniel all your burning barbecue-related questions – after all, he’s visited more than 1,500 barbecue joints.

NOTE: While the presentation is complimentary, the first 150 to register will recieve a special prize.

For purchase at the event Hays County BBQ will be on-site to provide some of the best barbecue in Texas for —including classics like brisket and sausage served with potato salad, beans and, of course, sweet tea!

Looks pretty interesting, and I am a fan of Hays County. I already signed the wife and I up and am awaiting the age answer. They also have a (non bbq) Starry Sky Campfire & Concert that night with some good sounding campfire foods, chats with The Texanist and some music.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:29 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Went with my brother and his kids to Blue Hole to close out the summer. Planned on Terry Black’s but due to the mixed reviews and Austin’s uber shitty traffic, I called an audible and went Valentina’s. I had breakfast there before but not a full lunch spread. Was goddamn great.

JdEjEyUW_o.jpeg

tenor.gif?itemid=3547414

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:29 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

JdEjEyUW_o.jpeg

Looks incredible. I was in Austin last weekend and was told to choose between this and Mickelthwaits. Chose the latter because of the TMBBQ list. Did I fuck up?

Stopped into Stillwater BBQ in Abilene on our way out to New Mexico last week. It’s on TM’s Top 50 and was pretty good.

139496b2562f173bcc83a1dabf775d6d.jpg

4593e117e6252fbfb6d89fe25f46158a.jpg

The brisket -- particularly the moist -- was pretty good. The ribs didn't pull that well but the taste was there. Sausage was good, though I'm pretty sure they don't make their own. They were out of turkey. We were there around 12:45/1 on Thursday and there was no line and not many people sitting down eating. Free beer too, which is never bad. Sides were pretty pedestrian but I liked the BBQ baked beans. Wanted to like the corn more than I did.

Edited by C-Man

Stopped into Stillwater BBQ in Abilene on our way out to New Mexico last week. It’s on TM’s Top 50 and was pretty good.

139496b2562f173bcc83a1dabf775d6d.jpg

4593e117e6252fbfb6d89fe25f46158a.jpg
The brisket -- particularly the moist -- was pretty good. The ribs didn't pull that well but the taste was there. Sausage was good, though I'm pretty sure they don't make their own. They were out of turkey. We were there around 12:45/1 on Thursday and there was no line and not many people sitting down eating. Free beer too, which is never bad. Sides were pretty pedestrian but I liked the BBQ baked beans. Wanted to like the corn more than I did.
We weren't that impressed with Stillwater when we made our stop in November. If you haven't had Evie Mae's outside of Lubbock, it's well worth the stop. Legit top 10 brisket.

Belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I don't get the jalapeño cheese sausage thing. I'm half Polish and have been eating Czech and Polish style smoked sausage in Texas my whole life. Until the last 20 years or so cheese and japs in Texas smoked sausage wasn't a thing. It's just not right.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I don't get the jalapeño cheese sausage thing. I'm half Polish and have been eating Czech and Polish style smoked sausage in Texas my whole life. Until the last 20 years or so cheese and japs in Texas smoked sausage wasn't a thing. It's just not right.

I love japs and cheese and sausage, but they aren't the best combination in a sausage skin, especially with yellow cheddar. It usually messes up the consistency of hte sausage and interferes with the sausage flavor, rather than compliment it. Jack is a better match, but I would rather have really good perfectly blended, seasoned and cooked sausage and eat the japs and cheese with something else. I think people are more in love with the idea rather than the actual flavor of it.

I love japs and cheese and sausage, but they aren't the best combination in a sausage skin, especially with yellow cheddar. It usually messes up the consistency of hte sausage and interferes with the sausage flavor, rather than compliment it. Jack is a better match, but I would rather have really good perfectly blended, seasoned and cooked sausage and eat the japs and cheese with something else. I think people are more in love with the idea rather than the actual flavor of it.

Yes, it's a texture thing for me as well, in addition to the non-traditional nature of it. The cheese makes it cloying.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Though I prefer the regular sausage, there’s nothing wrong with the jale[eno cheese if it’s done correctly

40 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Though I prefer the regular sausage, there’s nothing wrong with the jale[eno cheese if it’s done correctly

It's fine, when done correctly. But that's pretty rare. The japs break down in a way that makes it watery and the cheese doesn't really blend properly. Most places use way too much jap/chee to sausage ratio.

HEB Heritage Pepperjack sausage is the bomb.

The Serrano/Oaxaca cheese sausage from 2M Smokehouse is outstanding.  Tejas is doing a couple handmade sausages that I'd like to try:  brisket & blue and chile relleno.

I really enjoyed the 2M sausage, but the chile relleno at Tejas was not of this world. Your mileage may vary, but it was some of the best sausage I have had. Insert sausage jokes.

Crazy as this sounds i had solid Bbq at Pappas bbq in the woodlands yesterday.  I went to the stp/cult/bush concert and stopped there before the show.  Mostly due to i don’t ever go up there, didn’t have a plan, and saw a sign for it.  With no other real options or plan I pulled in. I order the beef trio which was brisket, beef rib, and beef sausage. The sausage was mostly terrible, but i drenched it in tangy sauce and made it edible. The beef ribs and brisket were both above avg.  I didn’t expect that.  Solid.  Not spectacular by any means, but certainly not bad in a pinch.  It was solidly better than Rudy’s.  

On 8/14/2018 at 9:54 PM, DougO said:

It's fine, when done correctly. But that's pretty rare. The japs break down in a way that makes it watery and the cheese doesn't really blend properly. Most places use way too much jap/chee to sausage ratio.

HEB Heritage Pepperjack sausage is the bomb.

If speaking of off the counter sausage, you need to try Opas Jap and Cheese.

Have some friends in town (Houston) tomorrow (Saturday). Will Gaitlin's or any of the good spots have any meat left around 2pm?  Pinkerton's says they are closed this week.  They will be getting in after the lunch hour.  

Buck’s
Willow’s

I would guess Tejas and Corkscrew will be out of food by then.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Is that where all the cool kids go?

I have no idea.  But it used to be where some ladies of ill repute would gather to enter into sausage related transactions. 

My attempt at humor was both low brow and dated.