Texas BBQ

Washpark

26 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Agree....

.....so uh, anyone ever spread down a layer of potato salad on the bread first, or am I just too crazy & fat? If the potato salad isn't too consistently big chunky, I'll throw down a layer, then piece of brisket, pickle, onion and sauce. I've never been into the pickled jalapeno + bbq sammy thing, but I'll consider trying that.

Yeah I do this but usually with sausage instead of brisket. 

• Hook 'Em 1

People who make a big point of how they would NEVER EVER eat sauce and any plate shown with sauce or anyone having sauce with Q is some heathen akin to putting ketchup on a $100 bone-in tomahawk ribeye. 

You want your $100 prime tomahawk well done with ketchup and Hershey syrup and tater chip crumbs? I could give a shit. Don’t care if you eat bbq with sauce, no sauce, cheese whiz, or astroglide. Dont care if you eat your eggs over easy or hard as rocks. Just keep your assholey opinions to your fucking self about what I’m eating. I know folks that don’t peel their shrimp, eat unpeeled bananas, and chug A1 like a Coke. Don’t bother me none.
  • Haha 1

Younger brother is headed down from Boston for the KState game and looking for some Austin BBQ recos (not going to spend the time to wait in Franklin-type lines). I gave him most of the standards, anything else I should put on his radar that hits the right balance of great bbq + not killing half a day? Haven't been in austin full time in a while, so not up on many of the newer spots

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You want your $100 prime tomahawk well done with ketchup and Hershey syrup and tater chip crumbs? I could give a shit. Don’t care if you eat bbq with sauce, no sauce, cheese whiz, or astroglide. Dont care if you eat your eggs over easy or hard as rocks. Just keep your assholey opinions to your fucking self about what I’m eating. I know folks that don’t peel their shrimp, eat unpeeled bananas, and chug A1 like a Coke. Don’t bother me none.

Im high AF right now and this comment is one of the funniest ive ever read on this site

1 hour ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Younger brother is headed down from Boston for the KState game and looking for some Austin BBQ recos (not going to spend the time to wait in Franklin-type lines). I gave him most of the standards, anything else I should put on his radar that hits the right balance of great bbq + not killing half a day? Haven't been in austin full time in a while, so not up on many of the newer spots

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

Blacks on Guadalupe does not belong on that list.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting that ribs are 22% cheaper than the beef, while the ham is 18% higher. The best smoked ham I've ever had isn't even in the same ballpark with the best brisket.  Then again, who knows what the market was for pigs those days?

It probably wasn’t brisket. Most places served beef clod back then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That’s awful wrong but you do you. Liquid smoke is nasty shot. It’s like truffle oil.

You serious, Clark?  Liquid smoke, along with salt and pepper, is part of the Texas BBQ trinity.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

micklethwait, valentinas, leroy and lewis, and la are the top 4 on your list.  they should prioritize accordingly.  i might add interstellar and distant relatives if they want more.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

Send him down to Lockhart on Sunday and he can sample barbecue from 40 of the TM Top 50 at the TM BBQ Fest.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Might need some bbq tomorrow. I am wondering if there is anything excellent that I haven’t tried in the Houston area. Chances are I’ll just end up at Truth. Open to suggestions for places where the bbq is the best thing on the menu, not the sides.

Kats, Old Bucs, Flossies, Smokin Z, Rusty Buckle, Oh Mazing

although none of them are as good as the “Houston Five”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

Depends on what time he wants to eat.  Terry Black's and Stiles Switch have dining rooms with full service hours, those are your best bet for evening meals.

I'd do L&L for lunch.  Keep in mind they only do brisket on weekends but their other meats that are available every day, are all pretty great.  The beef cheek is fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Terry Blacks

Blacks

Micklethwait

Valentinas

Leroy & Lewis

La Barbecue

Stiles Switch

Leroy and Lewis is the answer to this question 100/100 times for me.

not long lines + lunch and dinner service (so 2x options) + everything else that is there w/ cosmic + lots of seating and parking + amazing BBQ.

i think somewhere like Terry Blacks fits into this as well when it comes to things like lines and seating and options.

just know L&L only has brisket on Sat. not that it matters, id rather have the beef cheeks anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Not in this house or any I know. Are you from Ohio? Smoke flavor comes from smoke. Not fucking creosote flavored hairspray.

Texas.  Born and Raised.  I mean, it's so simple, it sounds like you might need a refresher course.  It's all Liquid Smoke nowadays.  You can make your own if you have a WSM.  You just take the lid scrapings and add them to the water pan.

But just to let you off the hook, do a Surly Search for things like "Liquid Smoke," "DAF," (as it relates to brisket), "Muledick," and the like, and you'll start to understand where I'm coming from.  

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Leroy and Lewis is the answer to this question 100/100 times for me.
not long lines + lunch and dinner service (so 2x options) + everything else that is there w/ cosmic + lots of seating and parking + amazing BBQ.
i think somewhere like Terry Blacks fits into this as well when it comes to things like lines and seating and options.
just know L&L only has brisket on Sat. not that it matters, id rather have the beef cheeks anyway.

This dude gets it.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Not in this house or any I know. Are you from Ohio? Smoke flavor comes from smoke. Not fucking creosote flavored hairspray.

Have you tried cooking the brisket in the oven in a metal turkey pan with the liquid smoke? Because if not, that's your problem right there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hottest bbq place in the state, currently. Lines are insane

I need to go back. I was on the backend of covid a few months back and tried it out. I really like the brisket and lamb rice bowl, but only half my tastebuds were working. Loved the pomegranate tea. Had to buy another because my ankle biters drank all of mine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Might need some bbq tomorrow. I am wondering if there is anything excellent that I haven’t tried in the Houston area. Chances are I’ll just end up at Truth. Open to suggestions for places where the bbq is the best thing on the menu, not the sides.

You buyin’?

14 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Have you tried cooking the brisket in the oven in a metal turkey pan with the liquid smoke? Because if not, that's your problem right there. 

My favorite part is when you baste the top in ketchup. A little trick the loafed meat crowd stole from us Texas guys. 

• Haha 1