Texas BBQ

Washpark

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] and I met up at Truth on Warshintin at 10:45 am to "beat the rush."  We were 9 and 10 in line.  The guy on the knife has a soft spot for Paddie as he got two, maybe three, burnt ends and a hearty welcome.  I got one but he did like my shirt compared to Paddie's gravy stained wolfpack tee shirt with the rip right at the navel.
The food was exceptional.  The first bite of fat side brisket was simply perfect.  It was like a first series 7 minute, 80 yard touchdown drive to open the game. 
We laughed about some Surlyite that went and complained about the brisket only to find out that he ordered lean brisket.  Lean brisket can only be so good.  
No pics, no sides.  Pickles, onions and jalapeno mix was on point.  
[mention=1288]tx 3 putt[/mention] no showed.  Musta had an appointment to get his back hair groomed.
All of the CR, religion and fire Sark / keep Sark issues were resolved.  We will soon issue edicts so pay attention.

I can not detect any lies or deception in this post. You know, as I drove through the Bloody Nickel I thought to myself “you could have shared those burnt ends”. My mama raised me better than that. Next time.
  • Haha 2

okay, whats going on with this liquid smoke issue?  i cant tell who's serious.  i was raised by a smoker and liquid smoke was as taboo in my mind as beans in chili.  not only was i taught that, but i tried once.  i mean who doesnt want the convenience of smoke in a jar in your cabinet 24/7?  sound great, but doesnt work. the taste is off-putting.  is there someone on here that believes its a legit ingredient in bbq or any kind of cooking for that matter?

okay, whats going on with this liquid smoke issue?  i cant tell who's serious.  i was raised by a smoker and liquid smoke was as taboo in my mind as beans in chili.  not only was i taught that, but i tried once.  i mean who doesnt want the convenience of smoke in a jar in your cabinet 24/7?  sound great, but doesnt work. the taste is off-putting.  is there someone on here that believes its a legit ingredient in bbq or any kind of cooking for that matter?

Have you never had a last minute recording session out of town?!

Did you get made fun of as a kid that your dad was a smoker? What kind of life lessons does an offset smoker teach his son? Besides the one about feeding the fire.

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

next thing you're going to tell me you've never used a metal turkey pan

12 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

PM Derka

The Pit Room / Richmond Ave / Houston, Tx 

This place is just small step behind Truth and Pinkerton’s when it comes to straight up bbq. Their chicken tacos are the best in town. Lot of other no traditional bbq menu items that are very good - Frito pie, tacos, sides, cherry pie

It was packed at lunch, line out the door. 

IMG_0828.thumb.jpeg.f958a5d2e59017aa6826f54ad08d488b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pit Room was my second favorite Houston area barbecue joint in 2017 - behind Tejas. 

Pork ribs in the picture look a bit over cooked for my taste, though.

pinketon has better ribs, that glaze makes the difference. Ribs were not as over cooked as they look 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pit Room was my second favorite Houston area barbecue joint in 2017 - behind Tejas. 
Pork ribs in the picture look a bit over cooked for my taste, though.

I was curious so I went back and tried to see where I had eaten most in 2017. Definitely Pinkerton’s (at least 6 times) then Tejas (5 times). Then a bunch of 1 or 2 visit places throughout the state.

Quite different than today.

I do like pit room though. Just rarely go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was curious so I went back and tried to see where I had eaten most in 2017. Definitely Pinkerton’s (at least 6 times) then Tejas (5 times). Then a bunch of 1 or 2 visit places throughout the state.

their Mexican place one block down isn’t bad 

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I tried Pinkerton's once in 2017 and it was on a day that I hit a few places.  Nothing really stood out for me.  I had Pinkerton's in SA a couple years ago and was really impressed.  I just don't have any reason to be in Houston anymore. 

Tejas remains one of my top 5 favorite places in Texas.  Soccer games and swim meets landed us in the Tomball area several times and each time we had Tejas.  My wife was talking with Michelle Holland from Tejas on Sunday and told her that Tejas turned our kids into barbecue snobs.  

I tried Pinkerton's once in 2017 and it was on a day that I hit a few places.  Nothing really stood out for me.  I had Pinkerton's in SA a couple years ago and was really impressed.  I just don't have any reason to be in Houston anymore. 
Tejas remains one of my top 5 favorite places in Texas.  Soccer games and swim meets landed us in the Tomball area several times and each time we had Tejas.  My wife was talking with Michelle Holland from Tejas on Sunday and told her that Tejas turned our kids into barbecue snobs.  

I’m jealous. I wish I didn’t have a reason to be in Houston anymore either.

I still love Tejas. I had it about a month or so ago. Felt weird, no line and didn’t recognize any of the employees. They have slid into 3rd place for me in the metro area.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Where are the pics of the parisa from Dziuk’s? Or the Long Johns from Haby’s, you poser?

Thought about hitting Haby's on the way out and bringing something home for the offspring, but them I was like "fuck dem kids."

Didn't hit Dziuks, but here is some fare on the back of the tailgate from last time I drove out there with my old man.

IMG-2973.jpg

2 hours ago, NoName said:

how was it?

is it going to be more of a "traditional" BBQ spot or are they continuing the mexi-que like 2M? (fingers crossed its mexi-que)

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Tell me more. 

Extremely nice set up, converted from Dan's meat market that had been shuttered for a long time. Full bar outside. Everything was good, no complaints I will megaphone, but probably not their top shelf, full potential output that time of day. I hope that they do well. I've never been to 2Ms so cannot compare. I would not call this mexi-que. I did ask them if they were going to do an Alsatian sausage and they said they were working on a recipe. Looks like they got a lot sunk into this place. I was there around 6PM, they had everything on the menu available, and there were maybe 5 families that cycled through while I was there. I really really hope that this place succeeds because it is very convenient to where I hunt and far surpasses the other options in close proximity. Unless we are talking nachos at Coras which is basically heaven.   

IMG-1607.jpgIMG-1605.jpg

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Thought about hitting Haby's on the way out and bringing something home for the offspring, but them I was like "fuck dem kids."

Didn't hit Dziuks, but here is some fare on the back of the tailgate from last time I drove out there with my old man.

IMG-2973.jpg

Extremely nice set up, converted from Dan's meat market that had been shuttered for a long time. Full bar outside. Everything was good, no complaints I will megaphone, but probably not their top shelf, full potential output that time of day. I hope that they do well. I've never been to 2Ms so cannot compare. I would not call this mexi-que. I did ask them if they were going to do an Alsatian sausage and they said they were working on a recipe. Looks like they got a lot sunk into this place. I was there around 6PM, they had everything on the menu available, and there were maybe 5 families that cycled through while I was there. I really really hope that this place succeeds because it is very convenient to where I hunt and far surpasses the other options in close proximity. Unless we are talking nachos at Coras which is basically heaven.   

IMG-1607.jpgIMG-1605.jpg

Can't wait to get back out that way to try the parisa again, and Blu Lacy while we're there.

GoldBelly’d some Smoke N Ash Tex-Ethiopian BBQ to the house today

An outstanding twist on cen-tex cue. The rib tips and brisket were outstanding, as were the greens and stew. If in Arlington, id make it a must-stop

It’s ten minutes from me. It’s really good. The reg bbq is very good, and the Ethiopian stuff is very different and I enjoy it.

My wife and I are leaving the woods of the Great White North and heading to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my mom.  We're hitting Corpus Christi to visit some friends on the front end of the trip and then heading for Abilene.  Good BBQ is nonexistent where we live so we are both looking forward to indulging. 

What I ask of Surly is to plot me out a BBQ route from CC to Abilene with the best spots to stop along the way.  Time isn't really a consideration, because who wants to get to Abilene anyway?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife and I are leaving the woods of the Great White North and heading to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my mom.  We're hitting Corpus Christi to visit some friends on the front end of the trip and then heading for Abilene.  Good BBQ is nonexistent where we live so we are both looking forward to indulging. 
What I ask of Surly is to plot me out a BBQ route from CC to Abilene with the best spots to stop along the way.  Time isn't really a consideration, because who wants to get to Abilene anyway?  

Butter’s in Sinton. Depending on your route, you could hit Burnt Bean in Seguin or Reese Bros in SA. I’m just some dipshit on the internet, but those three places are in my personal top 10.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Butter’s in Sinton. Depending on your route, you could hit Burnt Bean in Seguin or Reese Bros in SA. I’m just some dipshit on the internet, but those three places are in my personal top 10.

Don't sell yourself short, Patricio. You're a tremendous dipshit on the internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

burnt bean n seguin migbt be the best place in the state 

which part of cc ? There are a couple of joe cottons knock offs that aren’t bad at all.

butters in sinton 

Lot of good choices in ausitn 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve seen the man in action.  He knows what he’s doing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

Pre-order some sausage from Mikulik Sausage and Seasoning. You will love it. Might be a little out of your way

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

burnt bean n seguin migbt be the best place in the state 

which part of cc ? There are a couple of joe cottons knock offs that aren’t bad at all.

butters in sinton 

Lot of good choices in ausitn 

Joe Cotton was a regular stop when the barbecue jones set in.  Grew up in CC and after Roy's bbq went away (5 chopped sammiches for $1 was my daily lunch in HS) Cotton made a great replacement. 

And whatever you do while making this trip to Abilene, I second the vote for Burnt Bean as good as any in Texas, and I have been a Goldee's regular here in Cowtown since their inception.