Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

What's up with those Best Maid pickles..

Well, the lady was like, "You want pickles." 

And I was like, "Yup."

So she gives me the pickles, and I ated them.

On a serious note, on a level of Can find them anywhere, are Best Maid Pickles no bueno?  That's generally my go-to, if I'm being honest.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

B4 BBQ and Boba, Mabank

Welp, had high hopes for this one but what a miss. Mac and pot salad was good. Nana pudding was good. Fruity pebble tres leches was dry. Sausge was mid. Ribs were mid. Pastrami was underseasoned and undercooked. Brisket was more pot roasty than im used to. Maybe an off day?

IMG_9770.jpeg

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9772.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

On a serious note, on a level of Can find them anywhere, are Best Maid Pickles no bueno?  That's generally my go-to, if I'm being honest.

Rundberg HEB always has them. I would assume most HEB's would. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

And I was like, "Yup."

Depends on the style IMO....as far as hamburger sliced style Best Made is good enough....it's just a dill pickle, who actually gives a shit except if its Mt olive, their pickles are all around shit....same with jalapenos.

When it comes to spears is where the debate should take place. I like Clausen because of the crisp and snappines of the spear.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

And I was like, "Yup."

I get the HEB Texas BBQ pickles or Claussen when possible. Best Maid are ok enough if you're bringing the fixins for a family gathering over 20 people.  Other than that, I'm not buying Best Maid.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Depends on the style IMO....as far as hamburger sliced style Best Made is good enough....it's just a dill pickle, who actually gives a shit except if its Mt olive, their pickles are all around shit....same with jalapenos.

When it comes to spears is where the debate should take place. I like Clausen because of the crisp and snappines of the spear.

I made the mistake of buying Mt Olive jalapenos one time and I'm pretty sure they're still in the fridge almost full all these years later.

51 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I get the HEB Texas BBQ pickles or Claussen when possible.

HEB isn't an option in the eastern block of the state.  I'll grab Claussen next time and see if I can tell a difference

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Stanleys

IMG_9795.jpeg

IMG_9794.jpeg

Those ribs look better than the last time I had them and swore off of them.  What time of the day did you go?  I have a theory that my bad rib experiences have been a result of ribs that were held too long.  If I can figure out the rib schedule, I may try them again.

I had the brisket a couple of weeks ago and it was solid.

Edited by dcbc

52 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Those ribs look better than the last time I had them and swore off of them.  What time of the day did you go?  I have a theory that my bad rib experiences have been a result of ribs that were held too long.  If I can figure out the rib schedule, I may try them again.

I had the brisket a couple of weeks ago and it was solid.

Ribs were fine but my main complaint is that they were baby back. I think its an East Texas thinf

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ribs were fine but my main complaint is that they were baby back. I think its an East Texas thinf

Well, I'm from Houston and love the shit out of baby back.  As far as why they do it, they always did (under current ownership), and won the best ribs in Texas two years in a row.  So changing things when they worked on a more solid overall product probably didn't make much sense.  Plus, we can get spares at every other BBQ restaurant in Texas, and despite my preference, I enjoy spare ribs.

Just my opinion, and, again, I've been down on their end product for a few years.  So I'm hoping they've got it figured out.

So what time were you there? Really curious about when to improve my odds on the ribs.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Well, I'm from Houston and love the shit out of baby back.  As far as why they do it, they always did (under current ownership), and won the best ribs in Texas two years in a row.  So changing things when they worked on a more solid overall product probably didn't make much sense.  Plus, we can get spares at every other BBQ restaurant in Texas, and despite my preference, I enjoy spare ribs.

Just my opinion, and, again, I've been down on their end product for a few years.  So I'm hoping they've got it figured out.

So what time were you there? Really curious about when to improve my odds on the ribs.

6pm tonight. Packed house on a thursday

• Hook 'Em 1

I got Stanley’s last week on a Wed night about 730. Pretty sure we had discussed the mushy ribs previously here. There still wasn’t enough chew imo but they weren’t mushy and lots better than I’d had before. Also got the beef fajita torta on a whim and enjoyed it a lot. Fairly heavy lime flavor in the meat so don’t get if you don’t like that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Yeah, that brisket looks awful. 

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Brisket looks dry as fuck

For the last five years, their brisket has been consistently good (in spite of the ribs).  So, unless @GreenspointTexas had a different experience, I'd assume it's more a function of photograph than flavor.  But maybe the brisket sucked tonight?  Who knows?  I've got no skin in the game other than my recent visit there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1) brisket had good flavor but wasnt moist. Bark was, but the meat wasnt. Ill admit it looks dry af from the pic tho

2) These places are/once were world class joints. Ive had a fuck ton of shit bbq, but none of these places are that. 

3) Ill likely never venture to this part of Texas again, so had to hit up all the reputable bbq joints, as well as 9 state parks, 3 national wildlife refuges, 20 counties to check off, 4 drive thru safaris, 2 childrens museums, and a buncha other shit. The cue spots are just an added bonus

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

he's fine. i like some of his seasonings and his YT channel.

I made his smoked meatloaf recipe once and it was pretty good. I never would have thought of sticking the loaf pans in the freezer to set the shape.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tigol said:

I made his smoked meatloaf recipe once and it was pretty good. I never would have thought of sticking the loaf pans in the freezer to set the shape.

😍😍😍😍

you had me at big luscious plumb ………

Smoked meatloaf 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Hit InterStellar BBQ today.  No pictures because I took most of it to-go.  If you are looking for a barbecue joint in the Austin areas and you haven't tried InterStellar, you're missing out.  I've been eating here for five years.  I don't remember a bad bite of food.  Meats and sides are top notch.  

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Bodacious, Tyler

I knew what I was getting myself into, but it was close to the IHG resort, so whatever

IMG_9817.jpeg

IMG_9818.jpeg

Hold up.

1. There’s a resort in Tyler?

2. People travel to Tyler to vacation at said resort?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, deft said:

You wanted bodacious at mobberly. But you knew that.

I haven't heard that the Mobberly location is any better these days since Bryan left to start Sunbird.  Although I think, at one point, the Hallsville location was supposed to be decent. 

I live in Tyler and still haven't felt the need to try that Bodacious location.

Also, if @GreenspointTexas is craving more BBQ in Tyler, the correct answer is to go back to Stanley's and get a Cadillac Clucker.  I don't care how appetizing that Dickey's on the loop looks.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

I haven't heard that the Mobberly location is any better these days since Bryan left to start Sunbird.  Although I think, at one point, the Hallsville location was supposed to be decent. 

I live in Tyler and still haven't felt the need to try that Bodacious location.

Also, if @GreenspointTexas is craving more BBQ in Tyler, the correct answer is to go back to Stanley's and get a Cadillac Clucker.  I don't care how appetizing that Dickey's on the loop looks.

We met some friends there on a Thanksgiving visit to my parents a couple years ago and it was pretty awful. Poorly trimmed brisket, sliced with the grain, and under seasoned. The owners son in law mans the pits now after having zero bbq experience so I’m sure that’s going well but one of our Longview folks should test this out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

We met some friends there on a Thanksgiving visit to my parents a couple years ago and it was pretty awful. Poorly trimmed brisket, sliced with the grain, and under seasoned. The owners son in law mans the pits now after having zero bbq experience so I’m sure that’s going well but one of our Longview folks should test this out. 

Reversion to the mean.

Country Tavern, Kilgore-ish

Many people say these are the best ribs in the state. Id have to say they are the best BABY BACK ribs in the state. Prolly the best baby backs ive had. Their brisket was fine, despite the awful looking pic. Texas twinkies were incredible. Crazy how packed this place was. Def worth a stop for the glaze on the ribs

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9858.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Country Tavern, Kilgore-ish

Many people say these are the best ribs in the state. Id have to say they are the best BABY BACK ribs in the state. Prolly the best baby backs ive had. Their brisket was fine, despite the awful looking pic. Texas twinkies were incredible. Crazy how packed this place was. Def worth a stop for the glaze on the ribs

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9858.jpeg

I was last there probably a decade ago and it was inedible.

Sounds like they have absolutely made some changes, but not the shitty lightning they have had since like the 80s