Japanese volcano erupting

Satoshi

I'm not exactly sure what those people in the parking lot were thinking.  They need to get inside quickly.  That's a cloud of ash moving towards you that is likely a few hundred degrees.  It is the very definition of "fuck around and find out" by being anywhere in it's path. 

I'm curious with the timing of this eruption and the effects it will have on our winter weather as the cloud makes its way across the Pacific. Any size comparisons to Mt St Helens?

Not even close to being weather impacting on a global scale.

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If anyone was caught in that cloud of ash they suffered a very painful death. Imagine your brain boiling and steam coming out your ears like a tea kettle until part of your skull pops off from the pressure. That and your lungs getting cooked while your skin melts off.

And then you lose cell signal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Hate said:

From what I can gather, Mt Aso is an VEI 8.  The eruption that caused the caldera pictured above was from 300,000 years ago and is one of the largest known eruptions in human history along with Mt Toba 75,000 years ago. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

The Youngest Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 70,000 years ago,[29][30] which may have resulted in a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[31] According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by some genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34][35]

Proponents of the genetic bottleneck theory (including Robock) suggest that the Youngest Toba eruption resulted in a global ecological disaster, including destruction of vegetation along with severe drought in the tropical rainforest belt and in monsoonal regions. A 10-year volcanic winter triggered by the eruption could have largely destroyed the food sources of humans and caused a severe reduction in population sizes.[18]

Mt. Toba almost took us out.

Its only a matter of time before we have another one of these bad boys.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

If anyone was caught in that cloud of ash they suffered a very painful death. Imagine your brain boiling and steam coming out your ears like a tea kettle until part of your skull pops off from the pressure. That and your lungs getting cooked while your skin melts off.

so basically they opened the ark...

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The Youngest Toba eruption has been linked to a genetic bottleneck in human evolution about 70,000 years ago,[29][30] which may have resulted in a severe reduction in the size of the total human population due to the effects of the eruption on the global climate.[31] According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by some genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34][35]

Proponents of the genetic bottleneck theory (including Robock) suggest that the Youngest Toba eruption resulted in a global ecological disaster, including destruction of vegetation along with severe drought in the tropical rainforest belt and in monsoonal regions. A 10-year volcanic winter triggered by the eruption could have largely destroyed the food sources of humans and caused a severe reduction in population sizes.[18]

Agreed that it will happen again.  While I don't think another "Toba" would take us out, there would be a massive domino effect that would lead to some crazy crazy shit happening.  For the people alive when it happens, they had better be prepared to "fend for themselves" for a few years.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I know they can't predict the exact time of an eruption, but don't they know when its bubbling and ready to blow? What the fuck were those people doing there?

They refuse to live in fear.  However, I think if a big ass volcano is about to erupt one should get a pass on being Mr. Billy Badass.

Been on top of Mt. Aso in 2013. Guess the cable car station on top is now gone.

I used to go to an American Country Music festival there called Aso Country Gold there at just this time of year! That area is wild. When you walk around the inner caldera there are bunkers every few hundred meters for just this kind of thing.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Steam Ears GIF - Simpsons Teapots GIFs

• Haha 1

looks like there were tourist buses there, but they finally ran for the building before the video ended...would a building provide adequate protection? 

Yes, from a small eruption like that unless a big boulder was ejected. Think about the buildings that stood up to Vesuvius in Pompeii.

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Yes, but last year our alcoholic beverage makers pivoted from alcohol to hand sanitizer!

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Agreed that it will happen again.  While I don't think another "Toba" would take us out, there would be a massive domino effect that would lead to some crazy crazy shit happening.  For the people alive when it happens, they had better be prepared to "fend for themselves" for a few years.

It's going to wipe out a huge chunk of humanity. I took a cultural anthropology class, and we talked about it and the genetic bottleneck, and the prof had a map of what countries are importing all of their food, what countries have the largest portions of their populations in cities, etc.

It's going to fuck up everything Mad Max-style.  There won't be much time for us to get our shit together.

5 hours ago, Hate said:

Not even close to being weather impacting on a global scale.

CNN never misses an opportunity to hype up shit like this to ridiculous levels. The fact that this eruption is not even mentioned on their homepage leads me to believe this is a nonevent. 

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I've read "The Road". I feel like I'm ready. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

But all these people put all of their earthly worth into Bitcoin!  

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

According to the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals.[32][33] It is supported by some genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.[34][35]

The most troubling part of this is imagining the people of Dalhart, by themselves, repopulating the entire world in their likeness.