Mark Mangino is fucking fat as fucking fuck

Katfid54

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Still sitting around without a job.

Just saying.

I thought his lack of employment was insane until we got desperate and hired him.  His tenure here was complete chaos and showed him to be a bit of a fuck head.

That said, he'd probably fare better as an HC than trying to work as OC under a guy he doesn't respect (like Rhoads).

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I thought his lack of employment was insane until we got desperate and hired him.  His tenure here was complete chaos and showed him to be a bit of a fuck head.

Would love for you to elaborate as I don’t know much about his tenure there and I doubt a lot of people here do either. 

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

Would love for you to elaborate as I don’t know much about his tenure there and I doubt a lot of people here do either. 

He was brought after Rhoads hired his inexperienced buddy to be OC.  We were abysmal on offense in 2013 and just ok in 2012, with decent talent.  Mangino's system never really clicked in Ames, and he started playing favorites with QBs, riding Sam Richardson into the dirt when Rhoads wanted Joel Lanning to start (Lanning ended up being more effective).  He was insubordinate to Rhoads pretty much from the get-go, and just became a cancer on the program, dividing players and staff.  When Rhoads fired him midway through the 2015 (as Rhoads was also clearly losing his shit), he went full heel and started mocking his former players on Twitter just a couple of days later.

Basically, he's past his prime and still thinks he's King Shit.  He was right in that he's smarter than Rhoads, but the way he handled his business in Ames likely got around the coaching circles, and I can't see anyone wanting to bring that into the mix.

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He was brought after Rhoads hired his inexperienced buddy to be OC.  We were abysmal on offense in 2013 and just ok in 2012, with decent talent.  Mangino's system never really clicked in Ames, and he started playing favorites with QBs, riding Sam Richardson into the dirt when Rhoads wanted Joel Lanning to start (Lanning ended up being more effective).  He was insubordinate to Rhoads pretty much from the get-go, and just became a cancer on the program, dividing players and staff.  When Rhoads fired him midway through the 2015 (as Rhoads was also clearly losing his shit), he went full heel and started mocking his former players on Twitter just a couple of days later.

Basically, he's past his prime and still thinks he's King Shit.  He was right in that he's smarter than Rhoads, but the way he handled his business in Ames likely got around the coaching circles, and I can't see anyone wanting to bring that into the mix.

I'm sure this has never happened, ever.

Edited by UTEX_ME
  • Haha 1

It looks as though Kansas has "made peace" with Mangino, as noted it a few articles:

Mark Mangino didn't need reconciliation but gets it at KU | The Kansas ...

Aug 18, 2017 - Former Kansas football coach Mark Mangino long since moved on from his unceremonious downfall at KU. So he was caught off-guard when ...

Mark Mangino to be honored by KU football on Sept. 2 | The Kansas ...

Aug 15, 2017 - Former Kansas football coach Mark Mangino will be returning to Lawrence as part of a celebration for the 2007-08 Orange Bowl team. He will ...

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That's amazing. And unexpected. I clicked on this thread assuming he'd just died of heart failure or by choking on a ham sandwich or something.

So much this. Good for Mangino.

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That is awesome, I would love to see him back in coaching at some point. The man could coach circles around two thirds of the P5 right now. 

He didn't get run from Kansas so much because he couldn't coach. The man had a notorious reputation as one of the biggest assholes in the business. He wouldn't last 10 minutes in this transfer portal era.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That's amazing. And unexpected. I clicked on this thread assuming he'd just died of heart failure or by choking on a ham sandwich or something.

Yeah this. I'm still not entirely sure which one he is, but anyone from that picture looks better than when he was eating players 

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Looks like he shrunk a foot too. I always thought he was a big 6’3” guy, but damn, he’s only around 5’8”. 

Saw him recruiting at a HS in 2007 or so. He was shorter and wider than you would have thought. I was just concerned that he would replace his divots. 

Seriously, he always impressed me as a football coach. He got a lot out of his players before it all fell apart. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Saw him recruiting at a HS in 2007 or so. He was shorter and wider than you would have thought. I was just concerned that he would replace his divots. 

Seriously, he always impressed me as a football coach. He got a lot out of his players before it all fell apart. 

He was a solid offensive mind. If it were announced that he had been hired as a red zone analyst for Texas, I’d at least be intrigued. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Someone should take another chance on him. To imagine Les Miles got another chance and Mangino is 10 times the coach he is…even after the weight loss. 

It's possible he's not overly interested. Several years ago when he was back in Lawrence for some event or another the local paper published a long interview with him, and a lot of it was about his quality of life/balance after retiring to Florida and focusing on himself. He ascribed a lot of his weight and health problems to not being able to manage taking care of himself while also handling the rigors of college coaching.

But if he still has any desire, agree somebody should give him another chance. KU winning a major bowl game has happened exactly once. Dude worked a miracle.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kuobserver said:

It's possible he's not overly interested. Several years ago when he was back in Lawrence for some event or another the local paper published a long interview with him, and a lot of it was about his quality of life/balance after retiring to Florida and focusing on himself. He ascribed a lot of his weight and health problems to not being able to manage taking care of himself while also handling the rigors of college coaching.

But if he still has any desire, agree somebody should give him another chance. KU winning a major bowl game has happened exactly once. Dude worked a miracle.

This is what I thought when I saw the photo. Mangino is one of those guys that gets eaten up by coaching. The stories of his raging are rampant, and he was obviously a stress eater. That raging was a stress release. So was the overeating. Better to watch games on TV and live a longer life than grab your chest on the sidelines one game. 

• Like 1