Texas GOP wants to ban a bunch of books in schools

wildcat09

On 10/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, Beau Vine said:

I mean, this is really shocking -- he got his law degree from Liberty University.  Undergrad from some place called San Diego Christian College.

image.thumb.png.8551cf3792b1b775dab2255fabb09078.png

Also:

Two things:

1. They are always "fighters."  It's a fight.  Every day.  This is the fight club you talk about.

2. Looks like he married his mom.

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Dems pander to the poors with "welfare". This used to work (poors used to vote dem)

Reps pander to the poors with tax cuts for the rich. This now works (poors are switching to vote for Reps)

Honest question for the field: Did the poors get stupider over the last few election cycles? What happened?

Racism

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Of course, there's a good bit of overlap, but it's startling how much more energized they get over dumb shit than free shit.

& The extremely ironic part here is how per capita, they use more of the "free shit" than any other demographic... & are supported by the opposing party who doesn't actually use as much of the free shit but certainly do pay for this "luxury" of free shit.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Didn’t their boy Jesus hang out with a prostitute?

Wait till I tell him about a book that actually contains references to guys having giant donkey dicks and shooting enormous loads of jizz.  Seriously, literally talks about dudes with donkey dicks and shooting horse-sized loads.

We GOTTA ban that one, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait till I tell him about a book that actually contains references to guys having giant donkey dicks and shooting enormous loads of jizz.  Seriously, literally talks about dudes with donkey dicks and shooting horse-sized loads.

Why would you ban my high school yearbook?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

5A09F643-06E5-4A12-8AE3-3863B4FFC2AE.gif
/nowthis

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

hits close to home …

• 9 months later...

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-book-ban-law-blocked-by-5th-circuit-appeals-court/

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday that a Texas law, which would have required book publishers and sellers to provide content ratings for books, is an unconstitutional breach of the First Amendment protection against compelled speech.

House Bill 900, titled “Restricting Explicit and Adult-Designated Educational Resources Act” (READER), was passed by the Texas Legislature in 2023.

The judges took issue with the “vendor-rating system” required by HB 900. This system would require publishers and booksellers to provide content ratings of “sexually explicit,” “sexually relevant” or “no rating” for every book ever sold to a Texas library.

“According to the State…the library-material ratings are ‘purely factual and uncontroversial’ like a nutrition label; they simply tell the buyer what they are receiving rather than pass judgment or express a view on the material’s appropriateness for children. We disagree,” the court’s ruling read. “The ratings READER requires are neither factual nor uncontroversial.”

In order for the government to force speech from individuals or business, they must demonstrate a sufficient public interest; the judges found Texas’ justification lacking. “We agree with the State that it has an interest in protecting children from harmful library materials,” the ruling read.

“But ‘neither [the State] nor the public has any interest in enforcing a regulation that violates federal law,'” the ruling read, citing related cases. “Indeed, ‘njunctions protecting First Amendment freedoms are always in the public interest.’ Because Plaintiffs are likely to succeed on the merits of their First Amendment claim, the State and the public won’t be injured by an injunction of a statute that likely violates the First Amendment.”

The lawsuit was initially brought by Austin bookseller BookPeople, Houston bookseller Blue Willow Bookshop, the Association of American Publishers, the Authors Guild, the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the American Booksellers Association.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Tx 5th must be drunk or playing rope a dope on a much bigger ruling 

This.  Just making sure we let our guard down before a horrendous decision comes down

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

the library-material ratings are ‘purely factual and uncontroversial’ like a nutrition label

The Bible thumpers in the Texas House and Senate really wanted to compare book ratings with nutrition labels as both being facts?

I'm surprised that the law was requiring the publishers to set the ratings. I would have thought this would have been assigned to the Moms for Liberty and not actually require that they read the books.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm surprised that the law was requiring the publishers to set the ratings. I would have thought this would have been assigned to the Moms for Liberty and not actually require that they read the books.

I figured the publisher requirement was about $$. A religious or politically connected publisher given a heads-up could have materials set to go and force the other big houses to follow suit. Texas book sales are big money in education and the rest of the nation follows to some degree.

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/court-rules-in-reversal-texas-floating-barrier-between-us-and-mexico-can-stay-for-now/

A federal appeals court on Wednesday reversed an order requiring Texas to move a floating barrier on the Rio Grande that drew backlash from Mexico — the latest development in legal battles between the Biden administration and Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott over control of migration at the border.

In December, a divided panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals had sided with a federal district judge in Texas who said the buoys must be moved. On Wednesday, the court vacated the panel's 2-1 ruling after a majority of its 17 active judges voted to rehear the case.

The series of linked, concrete-anchored buoys stretches roughly the length of three soccer fields. The state installed it along the international border with Mexico between the Texas border city of Eagle Pass and Piedras Negras, Coahuila.

The barrier is one focal point in the legal disputes over border control between Democratic President Joe Biden and Abbott. The Biden administration also is fighting for the right to cut razor-wire fencing at the border and for access to a city park at the border that the state fenced off.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:16 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I think the lege and those that choose to work for the kind of people that write these bills are just too stupid to craft something that would hold up.

Just now, gmr548 said:

I think the lege and those that choose to work for the kind of people that write these bills are just too stupid to craft something that would hold up.

These Bills are mostly performative -- "look how much I stand up against 'wokeness' and how much I hate the queers!"  That's the value.  If it ends up surviving judicial scrutiny and standing, well, that's just a bonus.  That's it.  That's where we are: the legislative process is a tournament to see who can introduce and/or pass the meanest fucking bills.  If they end up actually causing suffering, all the better.

• 3 months later...

Bumped because the troglodytes who still advocate for book banning deserve continual public humiliation and scorn.

And because local librarians are being fired for refusing to remove banned books, such as:

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/state/2024/03/04/exclusive-llano-county-tx-librarian-suzette-bakerfired-after-refusing-censor-books-files-lawsuit/72774129007/

Reading "teaches you empathy. It teaches you how to be a human," she said in a phone interview with the Statesman.

One guy, the head of the snake on this so debatable if he's human, appears to be this aggie choad -- Rep. Jared Patterson -- mentioned in the thread above because he has already stated he'd ban Lonesome Dove. That's because, as his legislation states, "the sexualization of children must stop."

He's never read it (nor likely any book he wants to ban.)

aggie-choad.jpg.7049d5b8f7af28d12ce1c3e854693e67.jpg

After decrying Lonesome Dove, one of his comrades decided to "help" him out by buying it on Kindle and searching for bad, horrible, nasty, terrible, naughty, mind-corrupting words like "vagina".

Patterson’s allies apparently thought he needed help digging himself out of his hole, so they jumped in with him. Christin Bentley, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee, had an idea. Apparently not having read the book either, she tweeted that she had “bought Lonesome Dove on Kindle and did keyword searches.” She searched for “f—,” “p—y,” “sex,” and “vagina,” which don’t appear in the novel, and posted screenshots to prove it. After this deep engagement with the text, she was happy to report on Twitter that the book was not sexually explicit and, therefore, would not be banned under the bill. 

Actual literate readers had to point out better words to search for. Full article here: https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/jared-patterson-lonesome-dove-book-bans/

Texas is either 1st or 2nd only to Florida, depending on the source, in banned books. That's some excellent company to keep, but Rep. Jared Patterson above, aka the choad from Texas A&M University, says we must be #1.

He is from Frisco and is a rep for 106th district (Frisco etc).

So while the 5th Circuit Court said his legislation could not be enforced, it's still out there. And Texas schools still banned 625 books in 2022-2023, with Frisco ISD "leading" the way to ignorance by accounting for more than half of the book bans.

Here's Frisco ISDs list:

https://www.friscoisd.org/departments/library-media-services/library-collection-review-project/materials-removed

And a recent article from SXSW on the punishment aspect and fear-inducing and stultifying effects on schools, parents, librarians etc.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/education/2024/03/13/hb-900-sxsw-2024-vendors-librarians-bookpeople-talk-challenges-texas-book-ban-laws-censorship/72930635007/

TLDR; the Texas A&M Aggie choad known as Rep. Jared Patterson is a hateful POS.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This is the exact face I picture anytime I see the word "aggy"

"There's something about this that's so aggy. It's like, how much more aggy could this be? And the answer is none. None more aggy."*

* Apologies to Nigel Tufnel and Christopher Guest.

Edited by David Dennison