Texas GOP wants to ban a bunch of books in schools

wildcat09

2 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

brisket posted that nonsense a few weeks ago.  texas is just mississippi with some oil and a ship channel and dell and nasa and southwest airlines and american airlines and vibrant tourism and international cities and world renowned universities and one of the largest economies in the world and multiple military bases and yet our citizens still vote like they are Mississippi without some oil and a ship channel.

That’s why he says that.   It is what it is, until it isn’t.   Walk the walk, don’t talk shit like a defeated southern state who thinks the coloreds, non-Christians and transgender people are going to come take your guns away and force you to do...  exactly what the fuck you’re doing now.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Texas is just Mississippi with some oil and a ship channel.  Everything else is delusions of grandeur.  And it pains me to type that.

It should pain you to type it, because it’s fucking laugh out loud stupid and hyperbolic. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Walk the walk, don’t talk shit like a defeated southern state who thinks the coloreds, non-Christians and transgender people are going to come take your guns away and force you to do...  exactly what the fuck you’re doing now.  

Republicans in Texas: We aren't a bunch of gun-crazed nuts who don't believe in science!

Republicans in Texas: We'll carry around a bunch of guns at the Capitol while protesting with signs pushing horse paste as a cure for COVID!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It should pain you to type it, because it’s fucking laugh out loud stupid and hyperbolic. 

But it's not.  Do you honestly think that Joe Bob in bumbfuck, has any fucking clue about a ship channel and dell and nasa and southwest airlines and american airlines and vibrant tourism and international cities and world renowned universities and one of the largest economies in the world ?

Here's a fucking clue, he doesn't.  He only cares that CRT isn't taught in his goddamned schools, he can't be told to mask up, basically, you're dealing with 1 year old children here, in your Republican primaries.  The lowest of the low.  Functionally the worst of society, are in charge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

What if, and hear me out...it's pretty wild...kids in public schools can check out books from other libraries besides their school library?

I'm guessing the next whack a mole will be to suspend funding from an ISD that has agreements with college and university libraries in Texas, and libraries in other states.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What if, and hear me out...it's pretty wild...kids in public schools can check out books from other libraries besides their school library?

I'm guessing the next whack a mole will be to suspend funding from an ISD that has agreements with college and university libraries in Texas, and libraries in other states.

Texas House committee to investigate school districts’ books on race and sexuality:

Here you are, sparky.   The mouthbreathing dipshits are among us.

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here's a fucking clue, he doesn't.  He only cares that CRT isn't taught in his goddamned schools, he can't be told to mask up, basically, you're dealing with 1 year old children here, in your Republican primaries.  The lowest of the low.  Functionally the worst of society, are in charge.

Yes, Texas has some backwoods hillbilly idiots.  Now imagine if that makes up 90% of your populace.  I’ve spent significant time in MS, it would still be a shithole if it was floating on oil.  It’s a hyperbolic comparison of the highest order.  New York is nothing but Louisiana with more populace and wealth.   

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, Texas has some backwoods hillbilly idiots.  Now imagine if that makes up 90% of your populace.  I’ve spent significant time in MS, it would still be a shithole if it was floating on oil.  It’s a hyperbolic comparison of the highest order.  New York is nothing but Louisiana with more populace and wealth.   

And your point is? A large, and I mean Vic Mackey large, portion of America is uneducated and fucking dumb as fucking rocks.  But they vote.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you control those dumbasses, you control the electorate.    That's as simple as it gets, and that's the republican playbook.   You know, it was the democrats that wanted slavery.  You know (here's the disonnect) those democrats became republicans.

Doesn't matter.  You are wrong,  and you will answer for it.    

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I think the point is that prior to the discovery of oil, Texas was an agrarian based state much like the rest of the South. Its an impossible question to answer, but the theory presumes that without oil, you don't have the wealth. You don't have the wealth, you don't have the capital to diversify industry. Do Houston and Dallas grow into top 10 cities in an economy based on growing cotton and cows? Do the number of quality universities get built/funded if the economy is based on farming and ranching?  

I'm not asking you to answer those questions because, well, you can't. Neither can I. The whole thing is a fantasy exercise with about 10,000 possible branches in the timeline, which makes absolutist declarations kinda silly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I think the point is that prior to the discovery of oil, Texas was an agrarian based state much like the rest of the South. Its an impossible question to answer, but the theory presumes that without oil, you don't have the wealth. You don't have the wealth, you don't have the capital to diversify industry. Do Houston and Dallas grow into top 10 cities in an economy based on growing cotton and cows? Do the number of quality universities get built/funded if the economy is based on farming and ranching?  

I'm not asking you to answer those questions because, well, you can't. Neither can I. The whole thing is a fantasy exercise with about 10,000 possible branches in the timeline, which makes absolutist declarations kinda silly.

Then explain  Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville.  They don't have oil.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

And your point is? A large, and I mean Vic Mackey large, portion of America is uneducated and fucking dumb as fucking rocks.  But they vote.

Pssst. Let me let you in on a secret. A whole lot of those dumbasses vote for your team, too.   I know that kind of fucks up your point, but still. 

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If you control those dumbasses, you control the electorate.    That's as simple as it gets, and that's the republican playbook.   You know, it was the democrats that wanted slavery.  You know (here's the disonnect) those democrats became republicans.

Doesn't matter.  You are wrong,  and you will answer for it.    

Ironically, before Trump, the GOP was likely to accuse the Dems of pandering to the dumbshits, our very own "free shit army."

Little did anyone know that the real dumb shit army was just waiting in the wings to be mobilized.  Of course, there's a good bit of overlap, but it's startling how much more energized they get over dumb shit than free shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Climate & Educated Worker Pool can over up for a lot of stupidity in the general populace.  Whenever I ponder why Austin is growing so fast and so many companies are opening up offices here, I drive in any direction for 15 miles and realize it's not politics nor oil.  They need access to lots and lots of smart people who enjoy the quality of life here.  15 miles in any direction and the curtain gets pulled back and realize how many millions of tragically stupid people are all around us. 

Thankfully, people smarter than us, that came before us, had the foresight to take our abundances of land and oil and diversify our economy, invest in education, and marshal other resources.  But that was in an era when it was embarrassing to be stupid.  Now that stupidity is en vogue, we are dismantling some of that as fast as we can arrange it.  

Just now, Macanudo said:

Then explain  Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville.  They don't have oil.

LOL, I never stated that oil is a necessary to growth. Perhaps Texas would've become the banking capital of the Southern US. Hell, maybe Henry Ford would've decided Texas was a good place to build cars. That's my point - there are far too many variables to accurately predict anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Thankfully, people smarter than us, that came before us, had the foresight to take our abundances of land and oil and diversify our economy, inve

st in education, and marshal other resources.  But that was in an era when it was embarrassing to be stupid.  Now that stupidity is en vogue, we are dismantling some of that as fast as we can arrange it.  

No, no they didn't.  They fucked it up by fueling the hate engine.  

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ironically, before Trump, the GOP was likely to accuse the Dems of pandering to the dumbshits, our very own "free shit army."

Little did anyone know that the real dumb shit army was just waiting in the wings to be mobilized.  Of course, there's a good bit of overlap, but it's startling how much more energized they get over dumb shit than free shit.

Dems pander to the poors with "welfare". This used to work (poors used to vote dem)

Reps pander to the poors with tax cuts for the rich. This now works (poors are switching to vote for Reps)

Honest question for the field: Did the poors get stupider over the last few election cycles? What happened?

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Dems pander to the poors with "welfare". This used to work (poors used to vote dem)

Reps pander to the poors with tax cuts for the rich. This now works (poors are switching to vote for Reps)

Honest question for the field: Did the poors get stupider over the last few election cycles? What happened?

Facebook and fear that the "others" were getting what the poor white people deserved. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

It used to be positioned as helping the poors by helping everyone.  A rising tide...   So both sides were saying we help the poors, just in different ways.  Now they figured out that hate is a much more powerful motivator than optimism, so why pretend we are helping anyone at all now?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I don't think so.  I think, percentages-wise, the nation's stupidity levels are probably right where they were 40 years ago.  

The biggest difference I see is that stupidity like that used to be a source of embarrassment.  You didn't take pride in ignoring professional advice, you hid the fact that you weren't terribly well educated, you tried to make up for it by watching evening news and reading newspapers, you didn't open up your mouth on subjects you weren't familiar with, and you kept your more extreme viewpoints to yourself or just close family and friends. 

But now, those things are all inconvenient.  Being stupid is a virtue, something to broadcast, something to be rewarded.  What's more, they were also invited to the head of the political table.  They went from being embarrassed about who they were intellectually, to being empowered for the first time in their lives.  To be that marginalized and ignored and ashamed to now having that big of a megaphone.  That's a hard drug to kick.  We shouldn't be shocked that they're not gonna go away quietly. 

Just now, Lobo said:

I don't think so.  I think, percentages-wise, the nation's stupidity levels are probably right where they were 40 years ago.  

The biggest difference I see is that stupidity like that used to be a source of embarrassment.  You didn't take pride in ignoring professional advice, you hid the fact that you weren't terribly well educated, you tried to make up for it by watching evening news and reading newspapers, you didn't open up your mouth on subjects you weren't familiar with, and you kept your more extreme viewpoints to yourself or just close family and friends. 

But now, those things are all inconvenient.  Being stupid is a virtue, something to broadcast, something to be rewarded.  What's more, they were also invited to the head of the political table.  They went from being embarrassed about who they were intellectually, to being empowered for the first time in their lives.  To be that marginalized and ignored and ashamed to now having that big of a megaphone.  That's a hard drug to kick.  We shouldn't be shocked that they're not gonna go away quietly. 

Social media happened.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I kinda feel like getting a group together and sponsoring "Things that make white people uncomfortable : adapted for young adults" on Amazon to make the price $0.00 for anyone under 18.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

This.

Stupidity before: embarrassing, and largely kept private because of that.

Stupidity now: fully empowered and weaponized.

That's the difference-maker.  Morons used to have the decency and self-awareness to "stay out on the farm," metaphorically.  Now, they all show up in every downtown office, demanding a seat at the boardroom table, and drowning out any competing ideas with insane, but really loud, idiotic bleating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

How many white people move into Texas without that wealth, oil and otherwise? Particularly in the 1970s and 1980s when a shitload of oil companies were coming into the state or expanding their operations/infrastructure, but even in decades before that.  We know the universities would struggle to grow without that oil, and without the universities, do we get the tech boom?  Does IBM move into Austin in the 1960s and expand in the 90s, and does Dell take off here?  And does Texas Instruments and Compaq and the others even happen?  The list goes on.

It's interesting to think about.

Bunch of pussyass snowflakes.

“It tells districts to disclose the existence of any books that “might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex.”

Poor white men and boys. So persecuted. So oppressed. Don’t want them to be uncomfortable.

Climb down off those high heels, your ilk is right there with them, and often louder.