The Taliban State of Texas and the coming blow back

Satchel

I called this several months ago. Expect a push to keep top athletes from signing with Texas colleges and universities:

NAACP calls on athletes not to sign with Texas teams over voting, abortion laws
As we watch an incomprehensible assault on basic human rights unfold in Texas, we are simultaneously witnessing a threat to constitutional guarantees for women, children and marginalized communities," NAACP National President Derrick Johnson and NAACP Texas State Conference President Gary Bledsoe wrote in the letter. "Over the past few months, legislators in Texas have passed archaic policies, disguised as laws, that directly violate privacy rights and a woman's freedom to choose, restrict access to free and fair elections for Black and Brown voters, and increase the risk of contracting coronavirus."

"If you are a woman, avoid Texas. If you are Black, avoid Texas," the letter continued. "If you want to lower your chances of dying from coronavirus, avoid Texas.’..

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/naacp-calls-athletes-sign-texas-teams-voting-abortion/story?id=80827394

• Hook 'Em 5

I applaud the effort. Every objection to Texas is dead-on. 

It would be great if there was mass exodus of southern athletes to states resembling a sanely run democracy.

Wish they could throw in climate change, too, but we're failing miserably in general as an entire nation on that one.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

I called this several months ago. Expect a push to keep top athletes from signing with Texas colleges and universities:

NAACP calls on athletes not to sign with Texas teams over voting, abortion laws
As we watch an incomprehensible assault on basic human rights unfold in Texas, we are simultaneously witnessing a threat to constitutional guarantees for women, children and marginalized communities," NAACP National President Derrick Johnson and NAACP Texas State Conference President Gary Bledsoe wrote in the letter. "Over the past few months, legislators in Texas have passed archaic policies, disguised as laws, that directly violate privacy rights and a woman's freedom to choose, restrict access to free and fair elections for Black and Brown voters, and increase the risk of contracting coronavirus."

"If you are a woman, avoid Texas. If you are Black, avoid Texas," the letter continued. "If you want to lower your chances of dying from coronavirus, avoid Texas.’..

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/naacp-calls-athletes-sign-texas-teams-voting-abortion/story?id=80827394

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Mississippi is literally the worst state

11 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

As a football fan in Texas, it galls me. But it's true and a legit pitch. The laws here regarding voting and abortion are now more extreme than Mississippi's.

And I kind of hope it works. 

I absolutely hopes this has an impact on Texas on the college and pro level.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

lmao I kind of want to post this in the recruiting board to see what happens

It was discussed recently, in another sense.  Our athletes are hung up on a fucking song, aggy athletes drop pennies at Sul Ross’ feet because they are paid not to gaf about it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It was discussed recently, in another sense.  Our athletes are hung up on a fucking song, aggy athletes drop pennies at Sul Ross’ feet because they are paid not to gaf about it.  

What's the dropping pennies thing?

50 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

problem is this will make our football team look like 1963, which is exactly what most of the population wants.  red staters see that letter and say 'don't threaten me with a good time.'

If this is true, I don't think it will be for much longer.

49 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I absolutely hopes this has an impact on Texas on the college and pro level.

I doubt it will affect the pros but it definitely could have an impact on college recruiting. Many pros live in DFW  because no state income tax. 

My perspective on being in the top-ten stupid states is that it's like being a camper in that joke where the grizzly bear shows up. One guy takes off running, his buddy says "Don't run! You can't outrun a grizzly!" "No, but I can outrun YOU."

When we are in the top-ten stupid states, the important thing is not to be the slowest camper, the MOST stupid.

Alabama and Mississippi fought hard for that prize in the 60s, and "won" so much. I have no idea what is happening in Mississippi at the moment, perhaps as a lingering effect of their successful bid to be uninteresting, but current Alabama is only moderately stupid compared to the old days. It's hard to repeat a championship season. Florida and Texas have leaders who are running towards the grizzly. Georgia has woken up from its lethargy and is making new efforts to elect stupid, sure they choked with the senate races but they've still got it in them.

Back to Texas, I wish y'all well. Unfortunately your successful economy undermines you, because Rootless Bastards keep swarming you, can find jobs and stay with you, and ape the worst native Rednecks amongst you. Thus the Rednecks are reinforced at a rate far greater than the ability of their withered loins to reproduce.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That'll never work in a state like Texas, and while the assholes are in control, I get the feeling that the people who disagree with this nonsense is pretty high statewide. Our state is doing shitty stuff but nobody cares because we're a small state.

Getting a 5 star recruit to avoid Texas schools isn’t going to do shit.  You are going to need a large mass of educated professionals — those who are fueling the Texas economy — to leave the state.  I left and quit enabling Texas to be fucking Texas 4 years ago when I moved to Colorado, and it was a fantastic decision.

As long as Texas is in the top 10 of world economies, the leadership is going to keep seeing nothing wrong.

Imagine the impact of a number of highly sought after recruits spurning Sec schools because they are black listed by a number of civil rights organizations. The result could be a windfall of talent for a moribund PAC 12. Not an unrealistic scenario at all.

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Imagine the impact of a number of highly sought after recruits spurning Sec schools because they are black listed by a number of civil rights organizations. The result could be a windfall of talent for a moribund PAC 12. Not an unrealistic scenario at all.

My money is more MAC-action.

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Those top players are using the schools as much as the schools are using them. They'll flock to whoever's winning. If some university institutes cross-burnings, players might avoid it. Now, regular non-athlete students? Yes, I could see quite a few of those changing plans based on a state's politics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Those top players are using the schools as much as the schools are using them. They'll flock to whoever's winning. If some university institutes cross-burnings, players might avoid it. Now, regular non-athlete students? Yes, I could see quite a few of those changing plans based on a state's politics.

The HBCUs are likely to be the biggest beneficiaries. Prime Time already has three 4 stars committed to Jackson State, and a 5 star basketball recruit recently chose Howard over Kentucky, Memphis and UCLA. Here’s what he said at the time of his announcement:

"I was the 1st to announce my visit to Howard & other started to dream 'what if,'" Maker wrote on Twitter. "I need to make the HBCU movement real so that others will follow."

48 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Losing the five star is definitely going to drive more conversations than your relocation to CO.

36 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Losing a 5 star won't do anything to make MAGA change their minds, other than make the MAGA crowd feel like they actually accomplished something.

And college football is just a rest stop for the top talent.  They will go wherever gives them the best shot at the NFL.

Just now, Satchel said:

The HBCUs are likely to be the biggest beneficiaries. Prime Time already has three 4 stars committed to Jackson State, and a 5 star basketball recruit recently chose Howard over Kentucky, Memphis and UCLA. Here’s what he said at the time of his announcement:

"I was the 1st to announce my visit to Howard & other started to dream 'what if,'" Maker wrote on Twitter. "I need to make the HBCU movement real so that others will follow."

It would be great if HBCUs got something out of this mess. It's been at least ten years (maybe 20?) since I first heard somebody suggest players should do this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Losing a 5 star won't do anything to make MAGA change their minds, other than make the MAGA crowd feel like they actually accomplished something.

And college football is just a rest stop for the top talent.  They will go wherever gives them the best shot at the NFL.

As has been proven in the past, the best shot at the NFL could be anywhere.
To those who want to see a more tranquil sports landscape, I say, work for justice.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

I left and quit enabling Texas to be fucking Texas 4 years ago when I moved to Colorado, and it was a fantastic decision.

Honest question for Texans who Get Tired of Texas and Move to Colorado:

Why Colorado? I mean, I've been there, it's got this thing and that thing. But my point is, if I were looking for the opposite of things I don't like in Texas, I'd be up in New England somewhere. Maybe Eastern PA. At worst, somewhere within walking distance of the train station in Fredericksburg VA.

(Redneckia stretches south and west from any spot that is outside walking distance from the Fredericksburg train station.)

Edited by RDCanecutter

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Getting a 5 star recruit to avoid Texas schools isn’t going to do shit.  You are going to need a large mass of educated professionals — those who are fueling the Texas economy — to leave the state.  I left and quit enabling Texas to be fucking Texas 4 years ago when I moved to Colorado, and it was a fantastic decision.

As long as Texas is in the top 10 of world economies, the leadership is going to keep seeing nothing wrong.

I've lived here my whole life and I'm about ready to tap out. We're still probably a year or two from realistically being able to make it happen and I don't know if my other half will actually pull the trigger on moving away from her parents, but I wish we'd gotten the ball rolling sooner.

16 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Why Colorado? I mean, I've been there, it's got this thing and that thing. But my point is, if I were looking for the opposite of things I don't like in Texas, I'd be up in New England somewhere. Maybe Eastern PA. At worst, somewhere within walking distance of the train station in Fredericksburg VA.

(Redneckia stretches south and west from any spot that is outside walking distance from the Fredericksburg train station.)

Because people don' generally want the polar opposite of TX. Sunny and affordable (relatively, though increasingly less so in urban areas) are good qualities. Find another major job center (Denver) that is a massive upgrade from the heat, humidity, general topographical ugliness, and socially backwards governance of Texas that also isn't that much more expensive than DFW, Austin, or Houston (less so on the latter because it's cheaper, but it's also the worst weather/ugliest). There is one place that checks that box.

CO, NM, and WA are our shortlist for escape pods. Each have their pros and cons.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Colorado is close by.  Weather is much better than Texas.  Beautiful scenery compared to places like Central Texas.  Much, much more beautiful scenery.  

I've been looking at New England for a while as well.  Plenty of affordable (and very cool housing), and if you get near one of the decent train hubs, you have easy access all up and down NE.  Plenty of places to metal detect for Civil War stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I've lived here my whole life and I'm about ready to tap out. We're still probably a year or two from realistically being able to make it happen and I don't know if my other half will actually pull the trigger on moving away from her parents, but I wish we'd gotten the ball rolling sooner.

We’re in the process of tapping out.  Should be gone in under 6 months.  This latest nonsense has nothing to do with it, we’ve been working on it for a while.

I’ve never been one of those “If so-and-so is elected I’m moving to Canada” types. But it’s getting awfully hard to stay in this fucking state. I have to be here for my parents, who live in Georgetown. I want to be with them till their dying days. But when they’re gone, and both kids are out of the house, I’m going to seriously consider moving somewhere like the North Carolina coast (where I grew up) or the Seattle area. 

And that’s saying a lot, because I have incredibly close friends and other strong ties to Austin. And on top of the political landscape, my retirement dollars will go a lot further elsewhere than in Austin.

But it’s seven more years until the empty nest, so maybe things will turn around. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I’ve never been one of those “If so-and-so is elected I’m moving to Canada” types. But it’s getting awfully hard to stay in this fucking state. I have to be here for my parents, who live in Georgetown. I want to be with them till their dying days. But when they’re gone, and both kids are out of the house, I’m going to seriously consider moving somewhere like the North Carolina coast (where I grew up) or the Seattle area. 

And that’s saying a lot, because I have incredibly close friends and other strong ties to Austin. And on top of the political landscape, my retirement dollars will go a lot further elsewhere than in Austin.

But it’s seven more years until the empty nest, so maybe things will turn around. 

The surly collective will take care of your mom.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

lebowski.png

Honest answer, we got tired of fighting with Leander ISD for special education services that were denied to two of our kids that needed them, a problem that we later learned was a systemic issue with public education in Texas.  Click the link if you aren’t aware of the problem.  As we became aware of what we were up against, we made the decision to move, and were left to figure out where.

We looked at places we enjoyed visiting, Colorado was at the top of the list, we talked to the school district in the area we were considering moving to about special ed services.  They took our doctor’s diagnosis and recommendations and offered us 4x the services we were asking for and were denied for 18 months of fighting with Leander ISD.  We put an offer in on a house before we left at the end of the week and here we are.

Texas is the flagship red state and at the cutting edge of fuck-you conservative policy.  You don’t have to go to a liberal, dark blue northeast state to have a humane government that operates to improve the lives of the majority of their residents.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

23 hours ago, Satchel said:

Did I miss the part where the PAC is going to start paying better?

28 minutes ago, Goredho said:

lebowski.png

Honest answer, we got tired of fighting with Leander ISD for special education services

With that one word I understood everything. Mean little bastard generic burbs are a constant around the country, but are especially heavy in the faster growing areas like Texas. I had assumed the same would be true for Colorado, but I'm happy if I'm wrong. I am glad your children are getting a better education now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

With that one word I understood everything. Mean little bastard generic burbs are a constant around the country, but are especially heavy in the faster growing areas like Texas. I had assumed the same would be true for Colorado, but I'm happy if I'm wrong. I am glad your children are getting a better education now.

Thanks.