CFP Rankings are out

Jive Turkey

Going under the idea that Chaos is more fun, I really want all of the Power-5 conferences to be won by 2 or 3 loss teams.  It's unlikely, but not that implausible:

• Alabama to picks up a 2nd loss (Auburn?) but they, or some other two loss team beats Georgia in the CCG to win the SEC
  • Two loss Minnesota wins the Big Ten. (Go fighting Flecks)
  • Whichever of Pitt, UVA, or UNC wins the ACC Coastal beats Wake in the CCG.  (This is actually going to happen)
  • Utah beats Oregon in the P12 CCG.
  • Baylor would have to pickup up another loss, then OSU loses to OU in Bedlam and then wins the CCG rematch.

All the while Cincinnati and UTSA are 13-0.

Pick 4 out of that group.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The Playoff selection committee has show that everything except the final poll are meaningless. They can and do jump anyone they want in the final poll.

That said, there is ZERO chance an undefeated Power-5 conference champion is left out. It doesn't matter what MSU, Oklahoma, or Wake Forest are ranked, if they win out, they are in. Period. Full Stop.

Beyond that, if there are a bunch of 1-loss teams, it is a beauty pageant and won't be based on merit.

I don't think OU passes a 1 loss UGA or 1 loss Alabama.  You could have Michigan St., Wake Forest and Oklahoma unbeaten along with 2 1 loss SEC teams.

I don't think Wake Forest catches Oregon or Ohio St. or Alabama is they win out.

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

I don't think OU passes a 1 loss UGA or 1 loss Alabama.  You could have Michigan St., Wake Forest and Oklahoma unbeaten along with 2 1 loss SEC teams.

I don't think Wake Forest catches Oregon or Ohio St. or Alabama is they win out.

Agree to disagree. 

An undefeated P5 champion has never been left out of the CFP, and unless all 5 are undefeated, they never will be.  That's what makes them the Power 5.    Screwing around with G5 teams is one thing, no way they even think about doing that to a P5 conference.   

I don't think there is any chance that Wake actually runs the table, but they can sleep well knowing their fate is in their own hands.

4 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Agree to disagree. 

An undefeated P5 champion has never been left out of the CFP, and unless all 5 are undefeated, they never will be.  That's what makes them the Power 5.    Screwing around with G5 teams is one thing, no way they even think about doing that to a P5 conference.   

I don't think there is any chance that Wake actually runs the table, but they can sleep well knowing their fate is in their own hands.

Wake is P5 in name only.  They aren't one of the top 20 or so programs or even one of the 2nd 20.  I don't think they get the same consideration Clemson, FSU or VT or even North Carolina would get.  Hard to imagine an unbeaten OU getting left out.  They do have the toughest finish to the season of the top 10, so committee can explain moving them up.

the way ESPN fucked around with the Big 12 and the SEC SEC SEC at the same time the CFP was being negotiated there is no way they can leave out an undefeated P5 team even Wake for a 1 loss SEC SEC SEC team

perfect way to have ESPN not host the playoffs or to not host the final game

all that money to try and rig the regular season in favor of conferences they own all of an then not get to host the CFP

and the ACC being an ESPN property with a shitty long term deal and all of those (laughable and meaningless) "lookins" and how they were drug along on the ACCn.......you get a bunch of state entities starting to say "uh fuck this we want a better deal" and "we want to look in or sue us of we try and walk" and who knows where things go

people are waking up to the fucking by ESPN with all of their over priced cable shit an their over priced shit quality streaming only shit

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

CFP is about the best 4 teams. Undefeated doesn’t mean anything. UTSA and Cincinnati are getting the doors blown off by any one of the teams ranked ahead of them right now. 

Cincy is not getting their doors blown off by MSU or Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

CFP is about the best 4 teams. Undefeated doesn’t mean anything. UTSA and Cincinnati are getting the doors blown off by any one of the teams ranked ahead of them right now. 

“Best” teams as an ideology can fuck right off. If a team doesn’t win its conference, it shouldn’t be in consideration for one of the “best 4 teams.” You had your chance. You blew it. Better luck next yr. 

The old guard is so fucking scared of a team like Cincinnati. Imagine them being lined up against one of the weak ass ND teams, beating their ass, and going to a championship game. 

idgafa Cincinnati. Just trying to make a point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I kinda chuckle when people get up in arms about the rankings this early in the season when there's still a ton of football left. Is Cincinnati getting no shot, of course. That's why they have to expand the playoff. Oregon will get passed by Ohio State if they beat Michigan State and Michigan. The criteria will shift from head to head mattering to strength of your total schedule which Oregon won't have a good case for. That's why they have to expand the playoff. 

3 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

The drama! These rankings won’t make a fuck a month from now. Things work themselves out like they always do.

This right here.  These serve the purpose of getting people talking and arguing.  I'm fine with OU being ranked where they are.  Hell, as far as I'm concerned any team that had been shut out and was down 10 at the half to the mighty fighting Jayhawks of feared Kansas has no business being in the top 10 at all.  But with Wake and Domer behind us 8 seems about right.  Chaos is coming.  I don't think we win out.  I think the B1G 10 is going to be a merry go round of who beats whom.  Oregon is going to lose at least one more.  I don't think Bammer beats UGA but it wouldn't surprise me.  The month of November is going to be a really fun month for fans of the sport in general.  Let the chaos rain!

• Hook 'Em 1

How can anyone argue "conference champions" and "best teams" are one and the same? That is straight up malarky. It is entirely possible, if not likely, that one of the best teams in the country does not win a conference championship if in a conference with other top teams. The second fastest man on a relay team may be faster than the top man on another. 

Put another way:

Player One wins tournament on Augusta.

Player Two wins tournament on St. Andrews.

Player Three wins tournament on Winged Foot. 

I win tournament at Port Aransas Putt-n-Booze. 

Do you send us four to Pebble Beach for the final showdown or do you consider that the guy that came in second on St. Andrews may be better than me?

If the committee is to select the four best teams, then conference championships are but just one data point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, squib said:

How can anyone argue "conference champions" and "best teams" are one and the same? That is straight up malarky. It is entirely possible, if not likely, that one of the best teams in the country does not win a conference championship if in a conference with other top teams. The second fastest man on a relay team may be faster than the top man on another. 

Put another way:

I win tournament at Port Aransas Putt-n-Booze

Do you send us four to Pebble Beach for the final showdown or do you consider that the guy that came in second on St. Andrews may be better than me?

If the committee is to select the four best teams, then conference championships are but just one data point.

How does one get an invitation to said Port Aransas Putt-n-Booze?  Asking for myself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, squib said:

Put another way:

I win tournament at Port Aransas Putt-n-Booze. 

This ^

People always want to put certain aspects in a vacuum when arguing this topic. The fact of the matter is, unless we had perfectly balanced conferences that are all structured exactly the same, there simply is no perfect playoff solution for college football. You can expand it and change it all you want, but there will always remain a need for opinions to select teams, some team with a similar resume will always be left out and that will always leave the door open for arguments about why "this is bullshit" or "that doesn't make sense" or "our team got robbed" or "this is a fucked up system" or whatever. And, at the end of the day, it always seems to work itself out and the right team is named National Champion.

• Like 3

• Georgia is in, even with an SEC Champ loss
  • Alabama is in if their only other loss is to Georgia in the SEC Champ game - sorry, that resume would still be pretty fucking legit, even with a last second FG loss to a top-15 aggy team. 
    • (Neutral site win over Miami, road wins over Florida and Auburn and wins over Arky and Ole Miss at home) 
  • Whoever comes out of the B1G with 1 or 0 losses (Ohio State/Michigan State/Michigan) is in
    • Minnesota is leading the other side of the B1G and is in the rankings to fluff up the Ohio State/Michigan/MSU trio's potential B1G title game opponent
  • The fourth will come down to OU or Oregon - Oregon has the win over Ohio State, but the Pac 12 is such ass that it won't help them much.  OU has the worst resume, but have their chances against ISU/OSU/Baylor/Big 12 champ game (a rematch with Baylor or OSU) 

Cincinnati and Wake - those are just there, but they aren't going to be in the playoffs unless the next month turns in 2007 redux for the top teams (like Georgia blowing an SEC east game, Alabama losing to Auburn or Arky, MSU losing to PSU and Ohio State losing to Michigan, Oregon losing another Pac 12 game, OU losing to Baylor and OK State) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Seems like the year that Baylor and TCU were vying for a spot there was grumbling from Baylor peeps that Minnesota who TCU had beaten early in the year was being kept in the top 25 similarly. Once TCU lost to Baylor they let Minny slip on down but it was like they were hedging their bets. 

Minnesota wasn't being kept in to prop up TCU that season; they were being kept in to prop up tOSU. No way in hell the B1G ADs on the committee that year were letting their bell cow get left out for the Roaches or the Rapists.

Edited by Dutch

Just now, Dutch said:

Minnesota wasn't being kept in to prop up TCU that season; they were being kept in to prop up tOSU. No way in hell the B1G ADs on the committee that year were letting their bell cow get left out for the Roaches or the Rapists.

Was that the year that Barry Alvarez took the helm at Wisky for their game vs tOSU? Man, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but that outcome was more than just a little bit beneficial to their conference.

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Was that the year that Barry Alvarez took the helm at Wisky for their game vs tOSU? Man, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but that outcome was more than just a little bit beneficial to their conference.

Yup. Wisky took that 59-0 buttfucking for the benefit of the entire B1G.

spacer.png

Edited by Dutch
  • Haha 2

Cincy returned a ton of talent from a team that gave Georgia all kinds of fits in their bowl game last year.  That Georgia team became this year's juggernaut.

Last year ain't this year, but I think it's pretty safe to say Cincy is legit until they prove otherwise.

If the dirt burglars get through Baylor and Bedlam, they'll have a much better argument.  The CCG would decide their fate.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Dutch said:

spacer.png

And wasn't Barry on that years CFP committee until he was called back into service at Wisky? Seems like he was and was considered one of the more respected voices in the room because he supposedly knew what good football should look like and who did or did not pass "the eye test". 

Yeah it's funny to see all of the people getting spun up about the initial rankings... but then THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT.  It's a fucking TV show designed to drive viewership and SM engagement.

OU was ranked #15 in the first CFP poll in 2015 and got it, for fuck's sake.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's funny to see all of the people getting spun up about the initial rankings... but then THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT.  It's a fucking TV show designed to drive viewership and SM engagement.

OU was ranked #15 in the first CFP poll in 2015 and got it, for fuck's sake.

Yes, because they played and beat #4, #11 and #9 to end the season and were Big 12 winners.   Including thrashing #9 OSU 58-23 to end the year.   They absolutely earned that with a backloaded schedule.   

Just like they have this year....

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You can expand it and change it all you want, but there will always remain a need for opinions to select teams, some team with a similar resume will always be left out and that will always leave the door open for arguments about why "this is bullshit" or "that doesn't make sense" or "our team got robbed" or "this is a fucked up system" or whatever.

And that’s why there will always be people declaring, “That’s why we need to expand the playoff,” and why the playoff will keep expanding. As soon as they went to a 4-team playoff, that was inevitable. 

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

No. Gary Andersen coached the CCG and then stepped down after getting bids kicked 59-0. Alvarez only ever stepped to coach their bowl game. I think he just did that twice. 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

spacer.png

Don’t be afraid of monsters under the bed. Also, Minnesota being ranked 25 at the end of the season was hardly a boost to OSU’s strength of schedule. 

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And that’s why there will always be people declaring, “That’s why we need to expand the playoff,” and why the playoff will keep expanding. As soon as they went to a 4-team playoff, that was inevitable. 

And when they expand to 8 teams, it will be more of the same from 9 through whatever, "wait we're in a P5 and we only had 2 losses" or "we only had 1 loss and some other teams got in with 2." Rinse and repeat and it won't fucking matter.

9 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Well, thankfully, the Gophers are over ranked now at #20, so Ohio State has at least one ranked win on the schedule to date.

Hurrah GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Nobody cares about Minnesota. MSU and Michigan are the big games left on the schedule. Win out and OSU is in. Lose once more and they’re out.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

They really do need to expand it so all the conference champions at least get a bid, though.  It’s currently the only major sport with a playoff where teams don’t control their own destiny.  It’s not like MLB or the NBA where the schedules are essentially the same with common opponents, either, so most of the comparisons of one team to a second team in a different conference are ultimately about as scientific as voodoo.

All the at-large teams can piss off whining about who is the best 2 loss team and rightful number 9 team in the country or whatever, but not even getting a shot when you win your league is a legitimate gripe.

8 teams
Winner of SEC/ACC/Pac 12/B1G/New Big 12 auto (5)
Top ranked G5 autobid (6)
2 at-large (8)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I like it.  I’d even kind of like letting in some more of the G5 champions and giving the top 4 teams a buy.  It wouldn’t happen as often as basketball, but there would be some March Madness type upsets that would add a lot of fun.   Boise or whoever beating a 5 seed like Oregon/OU this year, etc. 

That wouldn’t happen nearly as often as it does in the NCAA tournament. In March Madness, all it takes is for some lower seed to get hot shooting threes. In football it usually requires the favorite to commit a bunch of turnovers. And that Boise upset of OU happened way back in 2006. They had an experienced team, a good coach, and it still took a couple of trick plays to pull off the upset. They still talk about it on tv broadcasts today because that kind of an upset in a big game is so rare. Mostly you’d see 8 and 7 seeds getting destroyed by 1 and 2 seeds in really boring blowouts. 

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I would say as soon as they decided to declare a 'national champion', such debates were inevitable. Does anybody happen to know what year holds the record for most national championship claims?