Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

33 minutes ago, Goodman said:

This needs eyeballs. CB has been doing gods work since Twitter negotiated a monopoly. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/df9dx5-funeral-funds-for-my-father?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

Agreed... CB has been going thru a tough time with his Dad's health

RIP Mr. Bennett  🙏🙏🙏

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’m guessing Texas feels good enough about the 2022 crop of WRs and where they stand with them they they’re going to stay with what the have in 2021 and work on JoJo to flip. 

I know that Texas should keep working JoJo until the end but with all of LSU's WR defections, why would he leave now?  He's going to have a shot at playing immediately.  

Just now, Mdhorn said:

I know that Texas should keep working JoJo until the end but with all of LSU's WR defections, why would he leave now?  He's going to have a shot at playing immediately.  

I have a hard time believing Ja’marr Chase was going to interfere with his playing time from the NFL.

19 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Who makes up "all of their defections"? He was never gonna play with Chase

Justin Jefferson declared for the NFL in January and now Chase.  Was that it?  Maybe it was a TE that left too rather than a wr.  

Just checked and it was Moss and he was a TE.    Also, yeah, all these guys would've been gone anyways.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

OK, but Justin Jefferson was also never going to play with JoJo

Yep, they would be gone by the time he came anyways.  Will be interesting to see who emerges for them this year as well as how their offense performs.  

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Justin Jefferson declared for the NFL in January and now Chase.  Was that it?  Maybe it was a TE that left too rather than a wr.  

Just checked and it was Moss and he was a TE.    Also, yeah, all these guys would've been gone anyways.  

If that’s the case, I hope Ewers isn’t concerned that Sam is on campus right now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Scattershooting Texas recruiting targets

Spoiler

The Stampede: Scattershooting Texas recruiting targets
MIKE ROACH

The season draws closer and decisions are being made. The Texas coaches are recruiting on two fronts with the 2021 recruiting class winding down while the 2022 class is heating up.

The Longhorns are still looking for options at the wide receiver and offensive line positions, and we have a few updates on targets and where things stand. Defensive recruiting has been really strong for Texas in this cycle, but now they are looking to close the door and finish strong on that side of the ball. Over the weekend, I checked in with sources surrounding multiple prospects in both classes to get a feel for what was new in recruiting.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we check the pulse of several recruitments to see where the Longhorns stand.

—I changed my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Ketron Jackson last night. After originally hearing STRONG buzz around Texas, it appears that Arkansas fought back int his recruitment. As a refresher, Jackson took a visit to Austin last month on a self-guided visit. Coming out of that weekend, sources near the four-star Royse City wide receiver indicated that Texas was in a commanding position. In the meantime, Arkansas never backed off and the work that Razorbacks wide receiver coach Justin Stepp put in should be commended.

It should also be mentioned that the existing Razorback class seems to have a better bond with Jackson as they’ve been talking longer. I thought there might be a change once Texas landed Quinn Ewers considering a number of people near Jackson thought Texas would be the better long term move for him. Things could still change, but I’m hearing enough now to make me think the Razorbacks will be the pick if he decides anytime soon. Outside of offering earlier, I’m not sure what more Texas can do here. I’ve heard on several occasions that Jackson has great appreciation for Andre Coleman and feels he’s a strong coach, but his long term loyalty to a program in Arkansas that has been recruiting him for quite a while seems to be winning out at the moment. We will continue to monitor this, because it could change just as quick based on the way it’s gone so far.

—I checked with several sources near four-star Port Arthur Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau. As he announced last week, he’s closing in on a decision. My Crystal Ball pick has been on the Longhorns since the spring, and I don’t feel it has been a particularly close race during that time. I think schools like Texas A&M have certainly been in the picture, but Jay Valai did an outstanding job offering Guilbeau and establishing a bit of a chokehold on his recruitment. I still haven’t been told for sure who Guilbeau will be picking, and I’m not sure he’s told many around him.

Jaylon Guilbeau (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
That said, unless a major surprise is coming from Guilbeau, the buzz seems to indicate that the Longhorns are in a great position down the stretch. I feel Guilbeau will get his decision out of the way before the season starts so he can focus on his junior year. If Texas can close the deal for Guilbeau, it might help Texas with a few other targets. He plays his 7v7 ball with Fast Houston and is close with Texas target Jaydon Blue. He’s also close with former Fast Houston defensive back and LSU commit Bryce Anderson. Guilbeau and Anderson are both Golden Triangle residents as well, so it wouldn’t hurt to have another positive voice for Texas.

—I once again checked in with sources near four-star Spearman (Texas) ATH Brenen Thompson. I know there’s been a lot of Oklahoma buzz around the small school speedster, but I think his recruitment is still fairly wide open. One source near Thompson told me that no school has done a better job showing love and establishing a relationship than Texas. I don’t expect Thompson to make a move anytime soon unless something changes on that front. That said, Thompson understands the type of talent Texas is looking to assemble in the 2022 class and he’s paying attention to the potential of the group. I believe Texas is recruiting him as an athlete, but they seem to like him on the offensive side of the ball with some versatility to play in several different positions.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

—I spent some more time with four-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart over the weekend. Stewart is a bit of a renaissance man. Aside from being a star receiver and elite track and field athlete, Stewart is also a social media star. He has over half a million followers on Tik Tok and his brand will help make him marketable at the college level. While the NIL ruling is something Stewart is aware of, he told me he doesn’t believe it will be a major factor in his decision. Texas remains in a strong spot, and Stewart said no recruiter is working harder for him than Jay Valai. I continue to feel this one will play out a bit as Stewart will want to take part in the recruiting process, but I really like where Texas stands as of now.

—Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer made a visit to Texas over the weekend. While in Austin he spent time with former high school teammates Paxton Anderson and Prince Dorbah. Leyrer wants to go to business school and understands the appeal of a place like McCombs. I think Texas definitely made an impact there, but I’m not sure if it was enough to put them over the top quite yet.

Leyrer went into the process with a very mature outlook and thorough process, and there are other schools he’s considering as well.  Stanford, Northwestern and Vanderbilt are three that come to mind.  I still look for Leyrer to make a decision within the next few weeks.

—Four-star La Porte DT Albert Regis is taking his time with the process, but I think Texas is grabbing hold of the lead.  

A source I spoke with told me that Regis is very difficult to read, but I’ve heard that Regis is connecting well with Texas defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen and the Longhorns are playing this recruitment as well as they can.  Texas A&M appears to be the primary competition, but I believe Texas still holds the edge as of now. I'm not sure when Regis will make a move, but Hagen seems to have his finger on the pulse of this one.

COMMENTS

—Nick is slated to catch up with El Paso (Texas) Burges running back Tavorus Jones today. I’ve heard some positive buzz surrounding him and Texas lately, and I think the Longhorns are in a great spot early on. It sounds like a few players recently have been following up with the Texas staff following the commitment of Quinn Ewers, and while Jones is certainly interested, I don’t get the idea that he’s anywhere close to a decision.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

ATH Brenen Thompson. I know there’s been a lot of Oklahoma buzz around the small school speedster, but I think his recruitment is still fairly wide open. One source near Thompson told me that no school has done a better job showing love and establishing a relationship than Texas. I don’t expect Thompson to make a move anytime soon unless something changes on that front.

Maybe it's time to put your ear to the Twitters, Mike

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

The Stampede: Scattershooting Texas recruiting targets
MIKE ROACH

The season draws closer and decisions are being made. The Texas coaches are recruiting on two fronts with the 2021 recruiting class winding down while the 2022 class is heating up.

The Longhorns are still looking for options at the wide receiver and offensive line positions, and we have a few updates on targets and where things stand. Defensive recruiting has been really strong for Texas in this cycle, but now they are looking to close the door and finish strong on that side of the ball. Over the weekend, I checked in with sources surrounding multiple prospects in both classes to get a feel for what was new in recruiting.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we check the pulse of several recruitments to see where the Longhorns stand.

—I changed my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Ketron Jackson last night. After originally hearing STRONG buzz around Texas, it appears that Arkansas fought back int his recruitment. As a refresher, Jackson took a visit to Austin last month on a self-guided visit. Coming out of that weekend, sources near the four-star Royse City wide receiver indicated that Texas was in a commanding position. In the meantime, Arkansas never backed off and the work that Razorbacks wide receiver coach Justin Stepp put in should be commended.

It should also be mentioned that the existing Razorback class seems to have a better bond with Jackson as they’ve been talking longer. I thought there might be a change once Texas landed Quinn Ewers considering a number of people near Jackson thought Texas would be the better long term move for him. Things could still change, but I’m hearing enough now to make me think the Razorbacks will be the pick if he decides anytime soon. Outside of offering earlier, I’m not sure what more Texas can do here. I’ve heard on several occasions that Jackson has great appreciation for Andre Coleman and feels he’s a strong coach, but his long term loyalty to a program in Arkansas that has been recruiting him for quite a while seems to be winning out at the moment. We will continue to monitor this, because it could change just as quick based on the way it’s gone so far.

—I checked with several sources near four-star Port Arthur Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau. As he announced last week, he’s closing in on a decision. My Crystal Ball pick has been on the Longhorns since the spring, and I don’t feel it has been a particularly close race during that time. I think schools like Texas A&M have certainly been in the picture, but Jay Valai did an outstanding job offering Guilbeau and establishing a bit of a chokehold on his recruitment. I still haven’t been told for sure who Guilbeau will be picking, and I’m not sure he’s told many around him.

Jaylon Guilbeau (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
That said, unless a major surprise is coming from Guilbeau, the buzz seems to indicate that the Longhorns are in a great position down the stretch. I feel Guilbeau will get his decision out of the way before the season starts so he can focus on his junior year. If Texas can close the deal for Guilbeau, it might help Texas with a few other targets. He plays his 7v7 ball with Fast Houston and is close with Texas target Jaydon Blue. He’s also close with former Fast Houston defensive back and LSU commit Bryce Anderson. Guilbeau and Anderson are both Golden Triangle residents as well, so it wouldn’t hurt to have another positive voice for Texas.

—I once again checked in with sources near four-star Spearman (Texas) ATH Brenen Thompson. I know there’s been a lot of Oklahoma buzz around the small school speedster, but I think his recruitment is still fairly wide open. One source near Thompson told me that no school has done a better job showing love and establishing a relationship than Texas. I don’t expect Thompson to make a move anytime soon unless something changes on that front. That said, Thompson understands the type of talent Texas is looking to assemble in the 2022 class and he’s paying attention to the potential of the group. I believe Texas is recruiting him as an athlete, but they seem to like him on the offensive side of the ball with some versatility to play in several different positions.

—I spent some more time with four-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart over the weekend. Stewart is a bit of a renaissance man. Aside from being a star receiver and elite track and field athlete, Stewart is also a social media star. He has over half a million followers on Tik Tok and his brand will help make him marketable at the college level. While the NIL ruling is something Stewart is aware of, he told me he doesn’t believe it will be a major factor in his decision. Texas remains in a strong spot, and Stewart said no recruiter is working harder for him than Jay Valai. I continue to feel this one will play out a bit as Stewart will want to take part in the recruiting process, but I really like where Texas stands as of now.

—Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer made a visit to Texas over the weekend. While in Austin he spent time with former high school teammates Paxton Anderson and Prince Dorbah. Leyrer wants to go to business school and understands the appeal of a place like McCombs. I think Texas definitely made an impact there, but I’m not sure if it was enough to put them over the top quite yet.

Leyrer went into the process with a very mature outlook and thorough process, and there are other schools he’s considering as well.  Stanford, Northwestern and Vanderbilt are three that come to mind.  I still look for Leyrer to make a decision within the next few weeks.

—Four-star La Porte DT Albert Regis is taking his time with the process, but I think Texas is grabbing hold of the lead.  

A source I spoke with told me that Regis is very difficult to read, but I’ve heard that Regis is connecting well with Texas defensive tackles coach Mark Hagen and the Longhorns are playing this recruitment as well as they can.  Texas A&M appears to be the primary competition, but I believe Texas still holds the edge as of now. I'm not sure when Regis will make a move, but Hagen seems to have his finger on the pulse of this one.

COMMENTS

—Nick is slated to catch up with El Paso (Texas) Burges running back Tavorus Jones today. I’ve heard some positive buzz surrounding him and Texas lately, and I think the Longhorns are in a great spot early on. It sounds like a few players recently have been following up with the Texas staff following the commitment of Quinn Ewers, and while Jones is certainly interested, I don’t get the idea that he’s anywhere close to a decision.

Getting Stanforded for Leyrer and Cooper would be annoying. There's one every year.

37 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Well, Mike, for starters they could have actually not stopped recruiting him as of a few weeks ago. Actually texting and calling and acting like they still wanted him in the class could have been something else they could have done. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

Having followers on Tik Tok as an athlete makes you a renaissance man 

As hilarious as it is, I found the comment on the NLI stuff actually not being a factor for him. Certainly with a guy that savvy and probably already earning some small amount of money, you would think he'd be hyper aware of what the right market could do for him. Weird. 

17 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

But we can counter that because Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Kwame Cavil left early. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Well, Mike, for starters they could have actually not stopped recruiting him as of a few weeks ago. Actually texting and calling and acting like they still wanted him in the class could have been something else they could have done. 

Careful, sir. It sounds like you may be accusing Mike of not having his ear to the streets, which I'm sure was not your intention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Careful, sir. It sounds like you may be accusing Mike of not having his ear to the streets, which I'm sure was not your intention. 

I imagine Mike Roach's detective work resembles him holding a seashell to his ear waiting for recruiting secrets to be whispered. Except the conch is actually a hoagie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Stop it. Just fucking stop it. 

If you continue to perpetuate this myth, I'm going to find you, kick you in the dick, and then slice your forehead ...

Texas lost Jackson to Arkansas! Texas lost Jackson to Arkansas! Texas lost Jackson to Arkansas!

- Ricky's One HitterÂ đŸ€žÂ đŸ€žÂ đŸ€žÂ đŸ€žÂ Â đŸ€žÂ đŸ€žÂ đŸ€žÂ đŸ€ž

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you continue to perpetuate this myth, I'm going to find you, kick you in the dick, and then slice your forehead like Aldo Rain did, except instead of a swastika it's going to say Satya. You're about 2 cunt hairs away from channeling Westcott Ebberts. Pull yourself together. 

64NTl7L.gif

Edited by Bevo

44 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

so from that write up.. Texas is getting beat for Jackson by Arkansas huh?

From the way Texas has recruited Jackson, it has always seemed like we viewed him as plan B.  With the emergency of TO21 and Kelvontay Dixon, along with the heavy interest we are receiving from top 150 national WRs in 2022, the staff seems to be content with using the scholarship for next year.  

đŸ€˜

IT - NIL: Texas Athletics to help student-athletes LEVERAGE their platform

AUSTIN, Texas – Utilizing one of the most influential brands in American sports, Texas Athletics is launching LEVERAGE, an innovative name, image and likeness program designed to equip Longhorn student-athletes with the knowledge and tools necessary to maximize their brand and platform.

"Texas is a land of opportunity, Austin is a thriving, dynamic and energetic city right in the middle of it, and The University of Texas is like none other,” said UT Vice President and Athletics Director Chris Del Conte. “All of those factors, along with the national and worldwide power of the Longhorn brand are among the many things that will be key elements in our exciting new LEVERAGE program. The program is designed to prepare, enhance and play a critical role in our student-athletes developing and growing their personal brands.”

“From the Longhorns’ daily local, regional and national media coverage in five of the nation’s largest cities (Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio), to the expansive reach of our social media platforms and our very own one-of-a-kind Longhorn Network partnership with ESPN, there’s just no better place to be. Whether it’s national award recognition, sharing your personal and team success stories, or establishing a tremendous network of mentors in the community and beyond, the LEVERAGE program will position student-athletes to be presented in the best light by a premier group of folks in the world of creativity, communications and student-athlete development.“

LEVERAGE, which is part of the new the new 4EVER TEXAS program, is composed of four main areas of focus: Personal Branding & Brand Management, Business Formation & Entrepreneurship, Opportunity Management and Financial Literacy.

In the ever-evolving college sports landscape, student-athletes are more interested than ever in advancing their personal brand and setting themselves up for a successful future. With unmatched brand identity and unrivaled campus resources, Texas Athletics is well-equipped to offer its student-athletes that opportunity.

“When it comes to exposure, visibility, valuable connections and a broad and far-reaching network, Texas has all of that,” said Texas Football head coach Tom Herman. “With the NIL opportunities coming in the near future, the establishment of the LEVERAGE program is a personal development area where we will provide unmatched resources when it comes to building our players’ brands. The people they will meet, opportunities at their disposal and the resources our first-class Football and Athletics programs will provide are second to none, and this program is just another great reason to be a Texas Longhorn.”

The University of Texas is uniquely located in one of the nation’s top-ranked cities to live and work. A hotbed for technology and startups, student-athletes at UT have limitless access to business opportunities, just by being part of the Austin, Texas community.

With a strong emphasis on social media, Texas Athletics has cultivated one of the most powerful presences in college athletics. The Longhorns lead all of collegiate athletics in Twitter interactions and have one of the top Facebook followings with an audience of over 1.5 million. Texas has experienced extreme growth on Instagram since 2018, with more than 160,000 new followers for a 167% increase. The Texas Football Instagram has grown by nearly 200,000 followers during that same span, a 155% increase.

“The athletes we’re recruiting have had their hands on these social platforms almost their whole lives,” Texas Women’s Swimming & Diving head coach Carol Capitani said. “LEVERAGE provides an opportunity for them to learn and advance their personal brands in a way that’s true to them, while building off the social presence they’ve already cultivated. There is no athletic department better positioned to handle NIL needs than Texas, and I’m grateful for all the first-class resources that our student-athletes have available to them.”

With a footprint that includes five of the nation’s 15 largest cities, Longhorn student-athletes are exposed to more local and national media coverage than any other athletes in the country. The presence of Longhorn Network, the only national television network with dedicated 24/7 coverage to a single university, sets UT apart from all of its counterparts.

The powerful UT alumni network of more than 500,000 members around the world provides extraordinary opportunity for Longhorn student-athletes to connect with business leaders and influential community members.

“The University of Texas is unmatched across the country in terms of combining a passionate fanbase, top-notch academics, elite competition and providing resources to student-athletes in their pursuit of success,” Texas Track & Field head coach Edrick Floreal said. “Now, with LEVERAGE, we are taking the next step in supporting our student-athletes and preparing them for success outside of athletics. There is no better place for a student-athlete to build themselves, both on and off the track, than at UT.”

As part of the 4EVER TEXAS program, LEVERAGE will serve as an innovative resource to help prepare student-athletes for lifelong success. The LEVERAGE program will provide specific curriculum around areas of financial literacy such as, wealth management, assessing financial risks, taxes, and making business decisions.

• Hook 'Em 9