Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

"Please come be the savior of our program!"

Aggie has been using that sales pitch since the 1930s, how has that been working out?

If your recruiting knowledge centers around the belief that anybody is choosing a school because a fucking tackle is going there, you should just pack up and go back to the football board. Tommy Brockmeyer was never going to be the savior of Texas football. It's been clear that he was going to Bama for a while because his daddy wanted him to go there. Blake didn't like the honest assessment of James. It's also why Clemson went from the clear leader to completely out of it. They were going to Bama the day they scheduled 2 OVs to Bama in the summer when games weren't even scheduled. We'll see how it plays out for James in Tuscaloosa.

• Like 6

Who was the last True FR All-American at LT? Recruiting is funny.  Christian Jones, Isiah Hookfin, Tyler Johnson.....all good recruits that have had at least a year in the program.  I still remember the run on shower rods when Walker Little chose Stanford and we had to settle for Sam Cosmi and Derek Kerstetter.  It worked out ok.  Point is, they didn’t want to be here.  They bought in to Alabama, the SEC, and Sagan.... so enjoy it.  That’s now your school.  I personally can’t wait to kick the living shit out of them in 22 and 23.....kinda like a certain running back who decided to go north because Texas was good for winning games but if you want to win MNC’s you go to Oklahoma. 

• Like 6

At least it’s done and over with.  This will still be a very good class with some badass players on defense that will be on par with Bama, LSU, Clemson.

Sanders, Bowman, Coffey, II2, Harris Jr, Blackwell and JJ are a fantastic core.  Add in guys like Turner, Cooks, Mukuba and it will end up a til 5 defensive class this cycle.  We have some good pieces on offense but that’s where we need to close strong.  That will be the difference between a class ranked 8-10 and a class 3-5.

I know people freaking out but Herman and company have done well with OL recruiting.  They cleaned up last year.  We look to be in very positions with Kam Dewberry and Banks next years.  If we strike out on OL next year again, then we’ll need to have a tough conversation about Hand.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

If your recruiting knowledge centers around the belief that anybody is choosing a school because a fucking tackle is going there, you should just pack up and go back to the football board. Tommy Brockmeyer was never going to be the savior of Texas football. It's been clear that he was going to Bama for a while because his daddy wanted him to go there. Blake didn't like the honest assessment of James. It's also why Clemson went from the clear leader to completely out of it. They were going to Bama the day they scheduled 2 OVs to Bama in the summer when games weren't even scheduled. We'll see how it plays out for James in Tuscaloosa.

And if it wasn’t Bama, it would have been LSU, UGA, tOSU or anyone else.  They gave a silent to Bama in the spring after Clemson passed on James.  It sucks but this board knew this was going to happen.  Atleast we didn’t drag this recruitment to NSD.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

And if it wasn’t Bama, it would have been LSU, UGA, tOSU or anyone else.  They gave a silent to Bama in the spring after Clemson passed on James.  It sucks but this board knew this was going to happen.  Atleast we didn’t drag this recruitment to NSD.

If they were serious about Texas, they would have committed.  The only reason they waited was Covid. Some kids care about bringing back the swagger.  They want to put in the work and be known as the kids that brought Texas back.  Sam is that way.  Vince was that way.  Bijan will be apart of that. The Brocks wanted it handed to them.....they didn’t want to put in the work.  So enjoy Bama and move there.  You made yours choice and it wasn’t your home state or the school that made your dad.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Most of his clients are still pretty under the radar, I bet he wants them to offer more broadly. A dig at the "can't miss".

But I could be too optimistic. 

I read the same thing. He’s a “trainer”, so I feel he’s pretty much saying the Brocks were overrated and he has guys that are better. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

If they were serious about Texas, they would have committed.  The only reason they waited was Covid. Some kids care about bringing back the swagger.  They want to put in the work and be known as the kids that brought Texas back.  Sam is that way.  Vince was that way.  Bijan will be apart of that. The Brocks wanted it handed to them.....they didn’t want to put in the work.  So enjoy Bama and move there.  You made yours choice and it wasn’t your home state or the school that made your dad.  

Tumise is that way. Oh wait, nevermind. 

We always want good players but I’m guessing Blake is going to be a turbo charged helicopter dad and if the Brocks came to Texas Blake would be near impossible to manage.  Saban will tell Blake to go fuck himself as soon as the rotor blades start turning and that in itself will be sweet solace.  Good luck to the Brocks but if things don’t work out in Bama they won’t be getting a warm welcome back in Texas.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, stork642 said:

We always want good players but I’m guessing Blake is going to be a turbo charged helicopter dad and if the Brocks came to Texas Blake would be near impossible to manage.  Saban will tell Blake to go fuck himself as soon as the rotor blades start turning and that in itself will be sweet solace.  Good luck to the Brocks but if things don’t work out in Bama they won’t be getting a warm welcome back in Texas.  

There's a current sweaty coach with a big beer belly who would take them in a second

I don’t wish them well. I hope they don’t get to play a senior season in HS (2 lost seasons for Tommy)and that Saban retires within the next two years.

Maybe they can hire Mike Stoops as his replacement. And James decides to become a gymnast at Bama. 

Fuck ‘em all. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I can’t think of a situation where recruits with a super-helicopter parent has ever worked out well. This wreaks of transfer after James get buried on the depth chart and Tommy realizes he won’t be a day 1 starter.  Given Alabama’s depth chart, who they have committed now, and Blake doing Blake things, this has the beginnings of the perfect storm of “what could have been”.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I read the same thing. He’s a “trainer”, so I feel he’s pretty much saying the Brocks were overrated and he has guys that are better. 

It will be interesting because Blake was the one saying that Mensa was overrated two years ago because he played in private school.

I have cousins who live in Alabama.  When our family would travel from Texas to visit for a week or so, I’d swear we had gone back in time...20 years or so.  Everything just slowed down to almost a crawl, including their speech.  Not sure many of them could even turn on a computer.  My sis and I would just look at each other, like....holy shit...we need to go home.

This will be a huge culture change for the Brocks, so I’m sure they won’t stray too far.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

My grandfather went to Texas, my Dad blocked for Earl Campbell at Texas, all of my aunts and uncles went to Texas, my cousins (who could) went to Texas, all of my siblings went to Texas...The way I was raised, there was no question I would be a longhorn for life. Tom Herman could take a liquid shit on my grandads grave and my dad would have still told me to go to Texas. Fuck you Blake!

This is the good stuff right here. Fuck yes. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

My grandfather went to Texas, my Dad blocked for Earl Campbell at Texas, all of my aunts and uncles went to Texas, my cousins (who could) went to Texas, all of my siblings went to Texas...The way I was raised, there was no question I would be a longhorn for life. Tom Herman could take a liquid shit on my grandads grave and my dad would have still told me to go to Texas. Fuck you Blake!

tenor.gif?itemid=11278902

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

My grandfather founded Texas, my dad coached Earl Campbell, all of my aunts and uncles have buildings at UT named after them...the way I was raised was terrible. They were all really old and racist. 

On the bright side, the worst in Texas recruiting brings out the best in Hank Scorpio. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, golfclap said:

I'm out of rep for today (I didn't even know that was a thing) but this is the gist of it. It's a lot easier to deliver blows coming downhill or taking angles to pull RBs/ballcarriers down from the side than to take on a pulling OT and maintain gap integrity despite giving up 100 pounds to the guy. It's also a lot harder to be forced to read/react when you are 4-6 yards off the ball and right on top of it, than to read/react from the far hash and 15 yards deep. 

I picked you up, +repped. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

So do we trapdoor other brockermeyer now or what?

I know some people are being emotionally petty right now, but no. He's a Horn. As long as he's doing the right things as member of the program , you respect that. However, as soon as he's eligible to graduate, he comes off scholarship if he's not contributing even if he has eligibility remaining. Treat him like any other walk-on that's earned a scholarship.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

There’s no real reason to other than a spiteful move aimed at the rest of the family. We don’t need to make room on the roster 

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Makes me appreciate Milroe more as well.  I know people are saying he's still talking to Bama, hell that might have been the Brocks for all we know.  But he seems like a kid who's gonna sign here in December.

He’s been all texas for awhile. He starting listening to others when we hired Yurcich and he wanted to explore the other QBs who are arguably better passers downfield in the area, but that’s stopped and he’s been locked in since 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JFKFC said:

We all loved our time as students at Texas. We're all nostalgic about Colt and Vince. 

Block that stuff, and put yourself in the shoes of an elite high school player for 2021. Have you worked hard and sacrificed all of your young life so you can go lose to Baylor, TCU and Iowa State?

And beating Georgia, Utah, OU? Show out well vs national champion LSU? Yeah, in fact I’m thinking I might be one of the missing pieces that gets us over the hump. It’s a combination of your confidence in yourself and the program. Now this year in particular is different because of all the coaching changes, etc, so I can see some cautiousness, but if I’m truly confident in my abilities, no I’m not scared.

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

This makes me appreciate Sam even more if that is even possible.  Dude jumped on a train headed straight to shitsville and never wavered.  The Brocks not so much.  

When the Brocks got to the line...they just went straight to the front.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

This makes me appreciate Sam even more if that is even possible.  Dude jumped on a train headed straight to shitsville and never wavered.  The Brocks not so much.  

Take the last train to Shitsville 

And I’ll meet you at the station

Got a B.M. at six-thirty

I ain’t got no constipation (oh no, no, no)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

No. We stop being pencil dicks and realize all the kid ever did was walk-on at his father’s alma mater and earned a scholarship. 

So, he walked on at UT.  Did he really earn a scholarship, or was one given to him at the urging of Blake, so Herman obliged with the expectation of getting Tommy?  Then, only to have Tommy go to Bama?  I’d like to be wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, he walked on at UT.  Did he really earn a scholarship, or was one given to him at the urging of Blake, so Herman obliged with the expectation of getting Tommy?  Then, only to have Tommy go to Bama?  I’d like to be wrong.

Regardless, my point is that he can’t control what his dad or brothers do. Did he benefit from being a Brockermeyer? Probably. But that’s not his fault.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, RGBIII said:

And that's fair.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Regardless, my point is that he can’t control what his dad or brothers do. Did he benefit from being a Brockermeyer? Probably. But that’s not his fault.

People are saying he steered them away but I don't buy that rumor though. 

No. Too much of a hot potato for future credibility. Plus, based on my (cool story coming, bro) single instance third hand “interaction” with the family years ago, I’m guessing his heart is 100% Texas:

There’s an older non-football playing (or at least not at the college level) brother, who, when he was denied admission to UT (or maybe he was offered PACE or CAP...details are now fuzzy)....Dad and Grandpa ignited their contacts engine and apparently had everyone they knew in any position of power calling anyone they knew with any connection to UT to find out “WTF!?! How can THIS kid not get in? What can you do to help? Dad and Grandpa are furious!” That was almost verbatim the question I got from a local Federal Judge that was close to the Grandfather.

I know a few others who got similar calls...the point being, if this effort trickled its way down to my irrelevant self, lord only knows where else it went.

So while Dad, Tom and Hand may certainly have not hit it off, and while Alabama is unquestionably a sound “football decision”....the Brockermeyer - UT bridge began burning a long time ago.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

No. Too much of a hot potato for future credibility. Plus, based on my (cool story coming, bro) single instance third hand “interaction” with the family years ago, I’m guessing his heart is 100% Texas:

There’s an older non-football playing (or at least not at the college level) brother, who, when he was denied admission to UT (or maybe he was offered PACE or CAP...details are now fuzzy)....Dad and Grandpa ignited their contacts engine and apparently had everyone they knew in any position of power calling anyone they knew with any connection to UT to find out “WTF!?! How can THIS kid not get in? What can you do to help? Dad and Grandpa are furious!” That was almost verbatim the question I got from a local Federal Judge that was close to the Grandfather.

I know a few others who got similar calls...the point being, if this effort trickled its way down to my irrelevant self, lord only knows where else it went.

So while Dad, Tom and Hand may certainly have not hit it off, and while Alabama is unquestionably a sound “football decision”....the Brockermeyer - UT bridge began burning a long time ago.

Some people will be shocked to hear this, but if Blake’s dumb ass and a kid send the application through normal channels, they get normal results. There are people you call before you send in your application and people to put it on front of BEFORE regular admissions if you want special Treatment. So if that’s what he did without calling beforehand, he’s and idiot. 

now, tell me this, did the other kid eventually get into UT? Because if he fucking did no manner the method, that’s special treatment and should be a bridge on fire, it should be yet another feather in UT’s cap. Blake can fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Not questioning the credibility of your story, but it's damn interesting that Luke was offered admission and a football scholarship at Rice and could not academically qualify for direct admission to UT. 

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not questioning the credibility of your story, but it's damn interesting that Luke was offered admission and a football scholarship at Rice and could not academically qualify for direct admission to UT. 

Getting in as an athlete is not the same as getting in as a student

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I read it as referring to Luke's older brother (assuming such a person exists)