Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I'd imagine most HS football players think they're headed to the NFL, but in their case it's a near certainty that's the case.  Unless either of them is an elite student that NFL degree is likely the complete focus.

Tommy sure. James is highly unlikely. He's getting the bump due to his offers which are mostly in an effort to get his brother. Sure, it could be a Foreman situation, but those are usually the exception.

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I believe Tommy missed all his junior year with a shoulder labrum injury and now may miss at least part of his senior season due to the possible Covid shutdown.  I wonder how much his weight work and conditioning has been or will be affected by the injury and a long layoff.   Fuck Saban.  

I'm sure his conditioning has been as good as possible. Flip side to that helicopter dad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

True.

The hill to climb is getting them to believe they're the difference in turning those losses into wins. 

Who wants to do that?  Kids these days want wins, trophies and All—American patches handed to them when they get to campus (as well as the option of an Xbox or a PlayStation 5 in their locker, and “other things”).  Work?  Pfft.

5 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

Who wants to do that?  Kids these days want wins, trophies and All—American patches handed to them when they get to campus (as well as the option of an Xbox or a PlayStation 5 in their locker, and “other things”).  Work?  Pfft.

I know right? Kids back in the day would never take into account the chance of winning a national championship, the quality of coaching staff, or "extra incentives". Especially in the squeaky-clean SWC!

• Like 3

I won't comment on the Herman/Blake B. situation aside from saying that losing Tommy really, really sucks. However, if this results in an offer to Ezra Oyetade I'll be less miserable. He looks substantially more athletic than James B. James obviously has better technique and he's still growing, so I'm sure there's upside there. But I doubt he'll ever show as much athleticism as Oyetade - he just looks really, really fluid out there when he's pulling and mauling people. 

If Cosmi declares like everyone thinks, then the OL will be light on depth in 2021. Maybe Tommy would have been a day one starter at LT.

I would think that Hookfin is the likely candidate to become Cosmi's replacement. With 3 years of development Reese Moore backing him up.

At center it is a likely battle between RS Jr Ghirmai and RS Fr. Majors, maybe after spring they might look at the GT market for a OC. Any kid taking in 2021 is likely RS'ing at center.

The rest of the OL should be returning

• A all conference type player in Angilau at one guard.
  • Either Johnson or Tyler at the other guard
  • Hopefully Jones has RT locked down.

Then you have Karic, Garth, and Parr all developing in their 2nd year on campus.

You have enough to fill out a 2 deep, but if there are no misses then you have the core group of 7 which includes Jones, Moore, Angilau, Tyler, Ghirmai, Johnson, and Hookfin.

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Cosmi declares like everyone thinks, then the OL will be light on depth in 2021. Maybe Tommy would have been a day one starter at LT.

I would think that Hookfin is the likely candidate to become Cosmi's replacement. With 3 years of development Reese Moore backing him up.

At center it is a likely battle between RS Jr Ghirmai and RS Fr. Majors, maybe after spring they might look at the GT market for a OC. Any kid taking in 2021 is likely RS'ing at center.

The rest of the OL should be returning

• A all conference type player in Angilau at one guard.
  • Either Johnson or Tyler at the other guard
  • Hopefully Jones has RT locked down.

Then you have Karic, Garth, and Parr all developing in their 2nd year on campus.

You have enough to fill out a 2 deep, but if there are no misses then you have the core group of 7 which includes Jones, Moore, Angilau, Tyler, Ghirmai, Johnson, and Hookfin.

I am hoping for Christian Jones to start at RT this year and flip to LT next year, similar to Cosmi

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe Tommy would have been a day one starter at LT.

He's a guy that missed his entire JR year due to a labrum injury and may miss his SR year to COVID and while he's camped extremely well and has a great frame, he hasn't played any decent level of competition and he hasn't been seen post shoulder surgery. I think that it would be highly unlikely that he'd be ready to play day one. 

He certainly looks like he's lost muscle mass post-surgery to me. 

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-4-48-49-PM.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's a guy that missed his entire JR year due to a labrum injury and may miss his SR year to COVID and while he's camped extremely well and has a great frame, he hasn't played any decent level of competition and he hasn't been seen post shoulder surgery. I think that it would be highly unlikely that he'd be ready to play day one. 

He certainly looks like he's lost muscle mass post-surgery to me. 

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-4-48-49-PM.png

aggy definitely would have passed due to lack of forearm size.

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Saban’s still a midget and his wife is a troll.  

and his daughter is a raging sociopath.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/university-alabama-coach-nick-sabans-daughter-accused-assault/story?id=16771544

https://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/2015/02/lawsuit_against_kristen_saban.html

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I really don't know anything about their high school education. Are they elite students? Did Stanford recruit them? 

Most parents send their kids to private schools to give them the absolute best education they can.  Most are college preparatory with college in mind...and probably 99+% will go on to college...for the education (parents having spent a small fortune).  I'm not sure the vast majority of private school athletes move on to such a high success in recruiting to D-I universities...but, I'm sure there are some exceptions.  Usually, the competition in private schools is not always that great...imho.

I am unaware of the Brocks academic goals or future endeavors...other than playing pro ball.  So, they are probably hoping to get a PhD from Bama via Professor Saban.

hmmm. Anybody have a read at what he's getting at? Is he saying the Brocks aren't "can' miss" prospects or slamming the coaching staff for missing them?

EDIT: from the looks of his timeline looks like it's a dig at the staff. Still weird, doesn't he train Karic?

Edited by UncleSonny

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

hmmm. Anybody have a read at what he's getting at? Is he saying the Brocks aren't "can' miss" prospects or slamming the coaching staff for missing them?

I doubt he is shitting on Hand and Herman because he just got through training Karic.  He seemed enthused about Karic's ability and wished him well on his future at UT.  

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

EDIT: from the looks of his timeline looks like it's a dig at the staff. Still weird, doesn't he train Karic?

Most of his clients are still pretty under the radar, I bet he wants them to offer more broadly. A dig at the "can't miss".

But I could be too optimistic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most of his clients are still pretty under the radar, I bet he wants them to offer more broadly. A dig at the "can't miss".

No - I think you’re right. I don’t think he’s sold on either of these two as cant miss and doesn’t like the idea that somehow by going after other candidates (including kids he trains) that Texas will be settling. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, I wonder who will be Tommy's agent in 3/4 years?

I mean, I would assume it's Brent (Brockermeyer) but maybe he'll hurt Blake's feelings and they'll go elsewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by golfclap
added the Brockermeyer, after a PM.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

BlakeBrock's comments on today's events. Bolding isn't mine, but I think it nicely captures some of the salient points.

It's nice how he's made it clear the process was all about his kids, and definitely not his own ego.

"I..I...I.  Me...me...me"

What an ahole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's not wrong. I really don't understand the lack of offers out on the OL at this point.

12 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

He's not wrong. I really don't understand the lack of offers out on the OL at this point.

Yeah, we aren't Alabama where we can cut dead weight at the end of cycles. We should been taking commits from all the 2nd line guys instead of watching the Brocks, Jackson, and likely Foster and Bird go somewhere else.

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is what happens when you hire charlie fucking dumbass strong

This is what happens when you let Herman come to Texas with a half decent 3A high school coaching staff

This is what happens when we let you in here without taking the quiz. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Followers go with the crowd. Leaders bring the fucking wins with them. 

"Please come be the savior of our program!"

Aggie has been using that sales pitch since the 1930s, how has that been working out?

• Like 1