2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

8cc839d9b153cfefbe88046db7107f1a.jpg
It’s a sleep on the couch type of day.

I honestly thought that was just your feet under two wooly blankets.  Until I saw the paw.  

BTW---those curtains really tie the room together. 

Just now, 3adays said:

LOL…watching local Austin CBS and live shot downtown with Ricardo has some psycho yelling “CBS is fake news..you suck” 

BTW…I’d like to use Allison Millers tities to keep me warm 

isn't CBS news in Austin part of the Sinclair group? i think that's the reference.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

If anyone in this city is without power due to rolling blackouts for even one hour, every single person in our state government should be fired.

If ice knocks down a tree limb onto a power line, that can't be helped.

But after the national embarrassment last year, which killed several Texans, if we still don't have the capacity to handle 24 hours of freezing weather, I don't even know what to say anymore except fuck these people and their profiteering.

Yes and no.  This is "only" a 24 hour issue (well, it might very well be 36 or more) but again, most of the state is frozen, so it's not "just" a simple freeze.

I agree w/you to fire anyone who can't deal with electrical issues, but while we're firing the state leaders (of one political party largely), we also should fire a shitload of local/regional leaders (often of the opposite political party).  Because the issues last year went far, far beyond the simple grid.  They involved local politics as well, and providers and managers.

So as long as we fire e'erbody responsible, I can live with that.  Because it was a lot more than the jackoffs in the State.  A lot.

Anyway, we're about halfway through this "little" freeze - which, er, covers 85% of the state.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I agree w/you to fire anyone who can't deal with electrical issues, but while we're firing the state leaders (of one political party largely), we also should fire a shitload of local/regional leaders (often of the opposite political party).  Because the issues last year went far, far beyond the simple grid.  They involved local politics as well, and providers and managers.

So as long as we fire e'erbody responsible, I can live with that.  Because it was a lot more than the jackoffs in the State.  A lot.

Yeah, that's fair.  I don't really care about the party affiliations; just the staggering incompetence.

Wait, incompetence isn't the right word.  It's the staggering lack of giving a shit about human beings.

Edited by TexArcher

2 minutes ago, houston_horns said:

What are the odds I'll be able to make it to downtown Austin from Houston tomorrow night? I tried driving over this morning for a meeting but got advised half-way over to turn around since the local roads are fubar'd. 

Supposed to be sunny with a high getting into the upper 30s, so you should be okay.

Update:
Clearing line now running thru Gillespie County (Fredricksburg).  Give it another 2 hours or so.

Oh, did I tell everyone that my propane pressure is down in the house, and the heater has been on/off (yeah I have enough propane, filled it last week)?  Checked the regulators and no egg smell, so if a leak it's tiny.  Don't have any idea why it decided to f me over this morning.  But it runs okay for awhile, then not.

Oh, and propane can freeze  - at minus 44 degrees.  It's not much below minus 42 here, so that's not the problem.

We have space heater and stuff so it's still in mid-60s inside.

I'm moving to the middle of the Sahara next year.  Decided.

Edited by phdhorn
Math - minus 46 is colder than minus 44, so I had to adjust. The cold is getting to me.

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I've been here a long time and I certainly would not refer to this as "one of the most significant icing events in at least the last several decades."

More like, a typical Central Texas ice storm we get once every couple years.

He's gotta play up this "victory."

Remember, this is also the same guy who said that the most important thing about BBQ is the sauce.

• Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I've been here a long time and I certainly would not refer to this as "one of the most significant icing events in at least the last several decades."

No shit, he meant to say in the last 11 months right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just took a walk around the block in 78749. Some ice here and there but mostly just water.  Just saw that Valentinas is opening today. Probably gonna make that my last journey on the streets for the day to grab a few Real Deal Holyfields for breakfast for the house.  

Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed some. Good day for my first visit.

Woke up this morning with a sharp pain in lower right abdomen.  Out of the blue, no other symptoms, but pretty painful (6/10), difficult to move around or take deep breath. 

Am being told there's a good chance it's appendicitis and I should see doc pretty soon.

I'm in 78703 (just west of downtown)...  is now the time to test the roads or is there any reason to expect conditions to improve tomorrow?

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Can’t claim total victory without overplaying the significance of this flash ice storm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

Woke up this morning with a sharp pain in lower right abdomen.  Out of the blue, no other symptoms, but pretty painful (6/10), difficult to move around or take deep breath. 

Am being told there's a good chance it's appendicitis and I should see doc pretty soon.

I'm in 78703 (just west of downtown)...  is now the time to test the roads or is there any reason to expect conditions to improve tomorrow?

Conditions should improve by tomorrow, but maybe not until the afternoon, and don't fuck with appendicitis.  I'm a doctor* so I know what I'm talking about.

*of jurisprudence

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

If it's appendicitis, I wouldn't wait.  I know two people who needed theirs removed ASAP.  Not to freak you out, but that's not something to fuck around with.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

That's not a good place for a sharp pain. Any fever? If so I'd get it checked out. You're a man. Don't let some lame ass thin layer of frozen kill you. I'm a doctor*, so I know what I'm talking about.

*of rock.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Dude, a ruptured appendix is life threatening. Been there. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP