2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

6-250 is my guess for something he'd actually take.  i think that's a pretty dramatic overpay but it's not my money and i don't know what other moves we'd make with that money.

IMHO as long as we stay 6 or fewer years he's worth the risk. Remember both Breg and Tuve come off the books after 2024 and if they stay will be re-signed for significantly less. Keep in mind a LOT of our best young players are still under team control through 2025. 

That said, I think Click and co. are happy with Pena and are willing to hold that cash for the in season trade deadline for the title run in 2022. Astros should be favored in the West for the next several years regardless of what Correa does and it's all about finding those additional pieces to make run(s) at the title. 

1 minute ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

you think he’ll take $50M less than seager got over the same years?

I think the market is what it is. The Rangers had to over pay for Seager because they’re the Rangers and nobody wants to play for their dogshit organization.

When the Yankees passed, Correa has to take the Tigers best offer. 

2 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Anyone want to sell me opening day tix? Willing to spend but trying to avoid stubhub fees.

Just wait til they go on sale and get them for face value. 

I am confident the season starts on time, but at this point who knows when opening day is even going to be.  

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

One of the national baseball guys on the radio this morning said it plainly, I think with respect to the Astros: If you don’t think the past 7 years of Correa (production) was worth $250M+, why would you pay it for the next 7 years?

his playoff production alone over that timeframe is worth 250+

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

very good updates here  ….

https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/12/24/checking-astros-players-dominican-winter-league/amp/

Jeremy Pena

After returning from a wrist injury late into the Triple-A season, Jeremy Pena was flashing a new stroke of power in his game. The right-hander slashed to a .944 OPS in 30 games, but Pena is now at a .774 OPS in 30 LIDOM games.

The average OPS for the Triple-A West (affected by elevation) is much higher compared to the average OPS of LIDOM (.638), which can be a factor to the difference through the same sample. LIDOM pitching shows flashes of major-league experience, which can be lacked by Triple-A clubs.

Pena’s defense hasn’t featured any issues this winter while he leads the shortstop position in Ultimate Zone Rating. His speed could lead to more stolen bases, while he has seven bags over nine attempts. This would lead the Astros in a full-season sample.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When F1 and MLB worlds collide...

Trevor Bauer recently retweeted F1 driver Nicholas Latifi's tweet. I don't disagree with the gist of the tweet, but it's pretty rich, coming from the asshat who publicly trashed the Astros while he was cheating his own ass off at the same time. Glass houses & all that.

Fuck Trevor Bauer and fuck the Dodgers.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz at Trevor Bauer who enjoys using social media to shit on people all the time posted that tweet. The dude is very likely a sociopath.

That guy is a delusional, hypocritical psycho. Here’s an article detailing his history of twitter abuse. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-02-12/new-dodgers-pitcher-trevor-bauer-social-media-behavior-explained

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

790 spent about 30 minutes this morning ranting about Correa to the Angels because of a dumb Christmas photo. 

18 hours ago, Scraps said:

He was also wearing a MLB team hat backwards the other day that was either black or blue.....but not the Angels red.....so explain that one radio dorks! 

This is Urban Meyer curtains at Horseshoe Bay level analysis! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

790 spent about 30 minutes this morning ranting about Correa to the Angels because of a dumb Christmas photo. 

wtnzsn3lmz781.jpg

Committing roughly a billion dollars to Trout, Rendon, and Correa would be a bold move Cotton. 

Some of the gingerbread men are so much closer than the others. 

Before returning to LIDOM for a second winter, Pena stopped by Tino Chapa’s barber shop. When asked about his play and the kind of person he is, Chapa noted that he thinks Pena will be ready whenever the Astros see fit and that the prospect is a “good kid, too.”

thanks for the insight Chapa