IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

Sark will get another year because of the money, the ego of the retards who hired him, and the fear that firing him now will make it more difficult to hire a replacement.

Whether Sark is fired in 2022 or 2023 will come down to whether we just suck or are disastrously awful next season. That probably comes down to who he hires to retool his defensive staff and what transfers he lands this off-season.  I don’t have much hope of Sark succeeding on either front, but the bar is now so low with this program that he might survive next season through simple dumb luck and regression. 

41 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

This right here was Sarks biggest error so far.  I get him wanting to bring in his guys, but Ash took this same group and did pretty damn good.  Him + Sarks offense could have been a completely different story.  Again, consistency is an issue here.  

If you worked at a job where your boss was constantly quitting or getting fired and replaced with some new random person, you would hate it too.  That what is happening to these players every 1-2 years.

Sark wanted to hire Mike Stoops, but alumni and message board outrage made him rescind the offer.  So really it is Surly’s fault.

If he “gets his players” and can’t right the ship. Peace out 
Getting "his players" will be hard to do with the shit product they're displaying on the field. Lots of elite players want to start their first year on campus, but few are willing to be the first wave of a complete rebuild when they have the option to join a team that has stability.

Injury attrition has hurt us pretty badly..starting with losing Okafor weeks ago which took an O-line that was mediocre to bad at times to straight up abysmal all the time. Having said that we should still be able to beat Kansas with our backups..many of whom were more highly ranked out of high school than Kansas' starters.

Eltife was/is enamored with Sark.  Not sure why.  Maybe Saban told him he'd salvage our program.  I dunno.  When Meyer was no longer a viable option, Eltife told Hartzell and CDC to make this hire happen.  And they did.  The ink on the BoR approval papers for his contract was already fading, it had been done so far in advance of what the Tower/Belmont was ready for.  

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Remember how it felt when Notre Dame destroyed us in the first game of Charlie’s second season? That’s where we are. And we all know it. This was a disastrous hire. We can not afford to just ride it out. 

We're way worse than that. Go look in the mirror. That's Florida St looking back at you.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Eltife was/is enamored with Sark.  Not sure why.  Maybe Saban told him he'd salvage our program.  I dunno.  When Meyer was no longer a viable option, Eltife told Hartzell and CDC to make this hire happen.  And they did.  The ink on the BoR approval papers for his contract was already fading, it had been done so far in advance of what the Tower/Belmont was ready for.  

I wonder how close to resigning CDC got.  Overall, I’m happy with the job the AD is doing. Hope he gets a chance to rectify the situation.

So fucking typical. Does any school with a good football have this much booster malfunction?

2 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

I wonder how close to resigning CDC got.  Overall, I’m happy with the job the AD is doing. Hope he gets a chance to rectify the situation.

So fucking typical. Does any school with a good football have this much booster malfunction?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

All of them.

And to take it a step further, I would argue all of the other blue blood programs with booster influence have one thing in common—they are all on the fucking same page.

Texas boosters have an ego/pride problem where they believe they have to “run thangs” so they can save our program and be the big money hero. That’s not what Texas needs.

6 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

I know nothing about nothing but doubt cdc was going to quit out of it.  This is t super uncommon among the blue bloods

Found these fun stats on Reddit. 

• This is Texas' first 5-game losing streak since 1956

• Steve Sarkisian is now 50-41 all-time as a head coach. He has just two seasons where he has won more than 7 games.

• Texas hasn't finished in the AP Top 20 in back-to-back years since 2008-2009.

• From 1901-2015, Kansas beat Texas twice. They've also beat them twice since 2016.

• Texas was favored by 31 points over Kansas.

• Sarkisian has finished better than 3rd in his division just once as a head coach.

• Texas has 52 blue-chip recruits on their roster. Kansas has 1.

• Texas has to beat West Virginia and Kansas State to make a bowl. If they do not, it'll be their first time missing a bowl since the Charlie Strong era.

• Tom Herman never had more than a two-game losing streak in a season. Sark has almost tripled that in his debut season

• Texas has lost consecutive games at home for the first time since 2016.

• Texas had won 79 straight games as a 24+ point favorite.

• Rage+1 2

Why are Texas fans so overwhelmingly enamored with players? The constant around here is "gotta have more talent" yet the teams Texas consistently loses to are teams with less talent. Chasing stars is what has lead this program down the shitter in my opinion. These highly rated players are very commonly "me first" guys with rare exceptions such as a Tebow, RoJo, VY, etc. The way to keep this type of attitude in check is to have a winning culture (i.e. Alabama) the culture Saban has in place weeds these type of guys out very quickly. 

Trying to rebuild a winning culture around me first guys is a recipe for disaster as we have seen the last 11 years now. Texas needs to get its soul back. It's time to start getting guys that have potential, love this University, and don't shy away from hard work. Go find the RoJo's, Studdard's, McMichael's and surpass the Stearns, Moore's, Lampkin's. 

And for y'all that think hoarding talent is the only way, the fucking Naval Academy has more wins (85) running the goddamn triple option wishbone than Texas does since 2010. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And to take it a step further, I would argue all of the other blue blood programs with booster influence have one thing in common—they are all on the fucking same page.

Texas boosters have an ego/pride problem where they believe they have to “run thangs” so they can save our program and be the big money hero. That’s not what Texas needs.

Why can't an AD grow some balls and tell them to "get fucked, I'm running this athletic department my way."

28 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Why are Texas fans so overwhelmingly enamored with players? The constant around here is "gotta have more talent" yet the teams Texas consistently loses to are teams with less talent. Chasing stars is what has lead this program down the shitter in my opinion. These highly rated players are very commonly "me first" guys with rare exceptions such as a Tebow, RoJo, VY, etc. The way to keep this type of attitude in check is to have a winning culture (i.e. Alabama) the culture Saban has in place weeds these type of guys out very quickly. 

Trying to rebuild a winning culture around me first guys is a recipe for disaster as we have seen the last 11 years now. Texas needs to get its soul back. It's time to start getting guys that have potential, love this University, and don't shy away from hard work. Go find the RoJo's, Studdard's, McMichael's and surpass the Stearns, Moore's, Lampkin's. 

And for y'all that think hoarding talent is the only way, the fucking Naval Academy has more wins (85) running the goddamn triple option wishbone than Texas does since 2010. 

Bama recruits Star-ratings.  So does Georgia.  The difference is their recruiting pool includes a high school recruiting base that still believes in physicality and outstanding line play on both sides of the ball.  These traits exited stage left in Texas high school football a long time ago

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

This is where I’m at. I’ve always worried about perception to recruits with seasons like these which stressed me out even more. It’s taken awhile but I now realize that have top 10 classes hasn’t mattered for the last 10 years so let’s try something different. Get rid of the shitty 4 and 5 star prima-donnas that don’t want to show up for voluntary workouts and don’t care about losing. Find guys that want to work and sacrifice for the program. Get rid of the soft atmosphere around here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Bama recruits Star-ratings.  So does Georgia.  The difference is their recruiting pool includes a high school recruiting base that still believes in physicality and outstanding line play on both sides of the ball.  These traits exited stage left in Texas high school football a long time ago

I don't disagree with you there at all. The HUNH Spread has destroyed defensive talent in Texas and has made teams softer overall. 

To address your first point though, 2008 Alabama wins 12 games after a 7-6 season in 2007. You can't say that team was loaded up with star rankings. Brody Croyle, Greg McElroy, and AJ McCarron are absolutely nothing special. However they played within their abilities and limited mistakes. Saban collected defensive players like it was a hobby and has put out some of the best defensive performances in college football history the last 13 years. 

It's like Coaches get to Texas and go full retard. The recipe is build the trenches, play salty defense, and establish a running game and you will win more often than not. Look at Baylor this year, they get after the QB on defense and establish the run on offense. Very simple stuff.

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 1

And the other huge difference is that Bama and Georgia coach up and develop their kids.

On the flip side, big recruits come to Texas to die - arriving as 5-stars and somehow leaving as 2's.

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's like Coaches get to Texas and go full retard. The recipe is build the trenches, play salty defense, and establish a running game and you will win more often than not. Look at Baylor this year, they get after the QB on defense and establish the run on offense. Very simple stuff.

This recipe has worked more often than not at Iowa State too. Thompson is average, not great. But he is good enough to to win 10 or 11 games with a decent line and above average defense 

• Hook 'Em 1

I want to bang on this drum so badly, but it doesn't make sense when you look at the amount of Texas high school football talent in college and the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas needs to figure out a way to get ahead of the game and be cutting edge in using their wealth and new NIL rules to their advantage the way certain pro-sports clubs got ahead of the game using analytics a decade ago.  That’s a strategy that could overcome the disadvantages of in-state recruiting discussed in the last couple of posts.

That pole didn’t list what, in my opinion, is potentially the most likely option - mid year firing next year. Here’s the thinking:

1. This is the worst Texas year in well over fifty years, and includes an historic loss to Kansas. 
2. The team is regressing in all areas. 
3. We are about to enter the SEC.  
4. Aggy momentum is generally upward. 
5. Current momentum suggests the first half of next years could still be very ugly. 

There will be very little patience by anyone involved. Yesterday was a national embarrassment. If they play this bad in the first half of next year, look out. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That pole didn’t list what, in my opinion, is potentially the most likely option - mid year firing next year. Here’s the thinking:

1. This is the worst Texas year in well over fifty years, and includes an historic loss to Kansas. 
5. Current momentum suggests the first half of next years could still be very ugly. 

There will be very little patience by anyone involved. Yesterday was a national embarrassment. If they play this bad in the first half of next year, look out. 

I probably should’ve included some sort of mid year firing as an option you’re right.  I would strongly suggest to sark that he not lose to utsa.  Losing Tia directional school in our system, and I know they’re good, could be worse than losing to Kansas.  

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

1st 3 games next year: Louisiana-Monroe, Alabama, UTSA.  High potential for a bad start there for sure

Just now, mdmost said:

I get the feeling after this year, the desire to pay a buyout to go to the SEC quickly is greatly diminished, short of ESPN just wanting to help pay it and get the LHN off their books. I'm thinking we're in the Big 12 for at least 2 more seasons. 

Good point. I could see them doing that. However, I wonder if OU would just go a year ahead of us. That would also be embarrassing. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Good point. I could see them doing that. However, I wonder if OU would just go a year ahead of us. That would also be embarrassing. 

OU doesn't have the money. That's why they actually want to make the move. I should've added that I think the desire isn't going to be there because we're going to have to factor in a large buyout of Sark in the next couple of years. That's on top of the 37 million that just was paid to make the change. Money well spent, BMDs, CDC, Hartzell, and Eltife!

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m never for a one year fire but Holy fuck I don’t know how anyone can say with a straight face this is all “just the players”. Charlie strong never had a 5 fucking game losing streak. I don’t think keeping sark is going be better than just firing him now. At this point it doesn’t matter. 

Potato was a fucking idiot and dumber than a box of rocks. At least Sark knows how to scheme and run his side of the ball at an elite level. Chollie never came close to that.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

However, because of the six year contract, a very rich person would have to lay down the buyouts. 

What if the BMDs start looking in the background to try again to money-whip a Saban or an Urban or someone close to the same level, just keep Sark while they try, and once they finally get one we fire Sark at that point?  He's not going to get better.  I mean - by the time the BMDs find someone that can actually coach, Sark could probably be fired for cause.  Or Sark resigns to keep from falling back on the juice.  No way he lasts long enough to turn the program around with the massive pressure he will be getting starting today (and especially after 2 more losses and no bowl game this year).

Honestly if I were Sark I would make a deal with Texas that I would give up head coach if they made me OC, and I would take the pay cut (with bonus options depending on the offensive stats).  That would please almost everyone, and keep Sark employed, not taking millions from UT, and likely stay sober without all the pressure.  He does seem to be good on offense and could be really good if someone would rent an offensive line.  Downside is - new head coach would have to agree.

2 hours ago, CosmoDog said:

I really think that’s way over stated here. We always make it sound like media appearances are so much harder here and boosters meddle so much more. It just isn’t true at all. 

Ask someone about SEC boosters. And our media are cream puffs.

This program just exists to enrich a lot of shitty coaches and admin. 

17 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

What if the BMDs start looking in the background to try again to money-whip a Saban or an Urban or someone close to the same level, just keep Sark while they try, and once they finally get one we fire Sark at that point?  He's not going to get better.  I mean - by the time the BMDs find someone that can actually coach, Sark could probably be fired for cause.  Or Sark resigns to keep from falling back on the juice.  No way he lasts long enough to turn the program around with the massive pressure he will be getting starting today (and especially after 2 more losses and no bowl game this year).

Honestly if I were Sark I would make a deal with Texas that I would give up head coach if they made me OC, and I would take the pay cut (with bonus options depending on the offensive stats).  That would please almost everyone, and keep Sark employed, not taking millions from UT, and likely stay sober without all the pressure.  He does seem to be good on offense and could be really good if someone would rent an offensive line.  Downside is - new head coach would have to agree.

No offense, but why would he do that? He's not sitting on Saban-like money today, and he's got UT on the hook for $30+ mil as long as he doesnt get fired for cause. If he gets fired, he already knows he can land a gig immediately as an OC at another top school, but he wont be getting HC money anywhere else anytime soon.  Its UT that fucked up and gave him the contract. If we want to cut bait, fine, but it will cost us. Dont forget Sark sued USC for firing his ass when he was showing up to work shithoused. good luck getting him to give back all that money. 

Edited by Blotto

5 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

It would be great to offer Dabo 20M/yr or go back to Urban with that offer plus his own football AD or whatever he wants.  Money talks, we should give it a try.

He’s not a good HC and he’s not recruiting well enough to let him Blake around for 2 or 3 years to stack talent.   At this point it him loose and move on.   If not the nuclear money option then go get Traylor or poach McGuire before his contract ink dries.   Or Freshwater, Aranda, or see if Rhule wants back in college.   Something, anything but this shit.  Dude has lost the team, he doesn’t have the spine or the chops to be a good HC.  

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Auburn boosters make their head coach’s life a living hell and go rogue to negotiate with replacements behind the school’s back when they go like 9-3 against the hardest schedule in the country (they play Georgia every year, and a big OOC game, on top of the SEC West schedule).   Texas is a piece of cake compared to that.

People just insist on reaching for reasons to explain why our poor results are so unique and not just because we made bad hires.   Nick Saban wins more games at Alabama than Mike DuBose and Mike Shula.  Jim Harbaugh wins more games at Michigan than Brady Hoke and Rich Rod.   Brian Kelly wins more games at Notre Dame than Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis.

There’s not really a grand mystery about what is going on and what needs to happen.

yeah but Winning is Hard at Texas...

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Auburn boosters make their head coach’s life a living hell and go rogue to negotiate with replacements behind the school’s back when they go like 9-3 against the hardest schedule in the country (they play Georgia every year, and a big OOC game, on top of the SEC West schedule).   Texas is a piece of cake compared to that.

People just insist on reaching for reasons to explain why our poor results are so unique and not just because we made bad hires.   Nick Saban wins more games at Alabama than Mike DuBose and Mike Shula.  Jim Harbaugh wins more games at Michigan than Brady Hoke and Rich Rod.   Brian Kelly wins more games at Notre Dame than Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis.

There’s not really a grand mystery about what is going on and what needs to happen.

Amen. I thought both the Strong and Sark hires were shit at the time, but I will admit to thinking we scored a win getting Herman. After the second loss to Maryland, I realized he sucked ass as well. Its a crapshoot for everyone. If our next 3 coaches are also shit, we will be having these same conversations 10 years from today. However if our next coach becomes the next Saban or Dabo, we will immediately convince ourselves that our "culture problems" have been resolved. Meanwhile it will be business as usual within Belmont and with our BMD's. Same as it is in Norman, South Bend, Colombus, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Baton Rouge, Los Angeles, etc....